Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles version M4 - are we going with that? Sure, man.  (Read 198964 times)

Kidd

• Major
The difference between an "assault gun" and a "tank" is debatable anyway

Which would a Stridsvagn 103 be?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Typically an assault gun, though that's not what the Swedes called it.  They said it's a tank, so presto, it's a tank.

It's like trying to call modern warships battleships or cruisers or destroyers or frigates; it's an old classification system (that works just fine) but design and build paradigms changed dramatically.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
by modern parlance the St Charmond could be called an assault gun, but that term didn't exist back in 1916 so it was a tank.  The FT-17 though was really the great grandfather of all modern tanks as it got the layout correct, with a driver in the front and a turret in the middle with an engine at the back.  Whilst the Mark I's got the ball rolling the FT-17 is the real genesis of modern tank layout.

Of course, not all modern MBT's have the engine in the back...reference the Merkava...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Sharpnel

• Colonel
That's because the Israelis needed/wanted to put a squad of infantry in the back
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
AFAIK it was about survivability. The infantry capability only came about because somebody realized the entry door in the back was large enough to pass a soldier, and there was enough space inside for a couple of grunts.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
As I understand it that's more true for the Whippet than the FT-17. For one, the FT-17 didn't have the ability to cross a full-width trench.
https://youtu.be/WC0fK9OaS3E
the Tail on the back is for that reason, Wereling. It help the FT-17 to cross trenches.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Aye with the Merkava it was more about survivability, you put the engine and the power pack between anything sharp and very fast moving or explosive and it might help the tank survive, sure its a mobility kill but when you've only got a limited number of tankers, they are harder to replace than a tank itself.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Aye with the Merkava it was more about survivability, you put the engine and the power pack between anything sharp and very fast moving or explosive and it might help the tank survive, sure its a mobility kill but when you've only got a limited number of tankers, they are harder to replace than a tank itself.
I have read Israel has mission killed enemy tanks with 40 mm autocannons of Duster SPAAG: enemy crews panicked and jumped out of the tanks as 40 mm knocked on armour. I make a guess Israel has got vast reserve of tanks to replace losses, even if many of those aren't Israel's own Merkavas.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
Not really vast reserves and thats kind of the reason for the Merkava's big focus on survivability.  The tank crews are hard to replace, very skilled professionals who have had a lot of money invested in them.  If they loose a tank but the crew survives, its not a major loss. The tank can be replaced far quicker than a competent crew.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Not really vast reserves and thats kind of the reason for the Merkava's big focus on survivability.
Huh? So what has Israel done with captured & salvaged enemy tanks? Smelted them to build Merkavas?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
The S-Tank, I've  always called it a Armored Fighting Vehicle. Its not a tank...its a mobile gun. Its like a Hetzer or a Stug.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Van Gogh

• Sergeant
Huh? So what has Israel done with captured & salvaged enemy tanks? Smelted them to build Merkavas?
They re-gunned them and distributed them to armored brigades. See Tirdan -5 and Tirdan-6, apparently not bad tanks in the 70's and early 80's.

by modern parlance the St Charmond could be called an assault gun, but that term didn't exist back in 1916 so it was a tank.  The FT-17 though was really the great grandfather of all modern tanks as it got the layout correct, with a driver in the front and a turret in the middle with an engine at the back.  Whilst the Mark I's got the ball rolling the FT-17 is the real genesis of modern tank layout.
At the beginning tanks were 'males' or 'females' depending on the main armement (machinegun or canon ?). Classification changed when engineers discovered the concept of 'coaxial machinegun'  ;)
Classification again changed with the apparition of the MBT. Perhaps it is time to change again and let go old names?

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
Before Merkavas went into full production they kept number of modernized captured tanks in reserve. Afterwards the T-62 were scrapped while some T-55 were converted to Ahzarit heavy APC.
Shoot first, laugh later.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Also it's not like the Israelis have only a few crews and a bunch of tanks for them to jump out of and run back to get in and drive to the front.  They mobilize all they can handle, Merkavas or Sabras or whatever; the point the Israelis consider is that their total population is less than 9 million and individual lives are very important culturally.  So like the Americans, they do a lot to protect their troops, tankers or infantry or whatever.  The idea of protecting the crew comes from that point of view, not "they can come back in a new tank" or anything.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
The S-Tank, I've  always called it a Armored Fighting Vehicle. Its not a tank...its a mobile gun. Its like a Hetzer or a Stug.
They were used as normal MBTs. Remember, it's a pretty old design. Up until the 80's firing on the run was still pretty much "spray and pray", so the 103 was only marginally slower than competing tanks when it came to successfully engaging targets. And its low profile meant that had a good chance of spotting (and thus engaging) the enemy first.

Of course once the really modern tanks with modern stabilization became common it was dead in a maneuver fight, and its 105mm gun was too light in a world of 120mm and 125mm guns anyway.

lrose

• Master Sergeant
Aye with the Merkava it was more about survivability, you put the engine and the power pack between anything sharp and very fast moving or explosive and it might help the tank survive,

By placing the engine in the front they could add the rear hatch which was intended to be used as a escape hatch so they could bail out from a disabled tank with out being exposed to enemy fire.

Also the space used to carry troops is normally used to carry ammo for the main gun. Carrying troops greatly reduces the amount of ammo.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Having that rear hatch would make loading a LOT faster than typical up-and-over through the turret hatches.  Save a few minutes (and some fatigue) per each tank crew, it adds up over a battalion or brigade.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Wished the Merkava was in the game of Merc:2000 and Twilight:2000...

Wonder what it's game stats would have been...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
Wished the Merkava was in the game of Merc:2000 and Twilight:2000...

Wonder what it's game stats would have been...

TT

Big gun like the M1A1 with more armor and maybe that 60mm motor.
I thought  the Merkava have the ability to carry passengers like up to 4??

Wereling

• Master Sergeant
  • Professional Fool
Big gun like the M1A1 with more armor and maybe that 60mm motor.
I thought  the Merkava have the ability to carry passengers like up to 4??
As many as 6 according to Wikipedia.

grimlock1

• Captain
according to what i've found (which i'll admit is probably highly speculative even on the better sites) it would probably be part of the NII Stali Upper Hemisphere Protection Complex, which includes the two vertical and two horizontal steerable box launchers. apparently they are a "soft kill" system according to what little has been released. presumably smoke/chaff/flare/how-ever-you-do-it.
supposedly the larger tubes at the base of the turret are hard kill APS mounts, but there is some debate whether that is true (could just be smoke tubes and russia is hyping them up otherwise to make the vehicle seem more advanced)

nextbigfuture had this diagram made up.. grain of salt for a lot of it, i'm sure.

and the APC model:

Met sensor?  Meteorological sensor?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
Marian Hegemony light armor cav.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
I have spoken.

kato

• Captain
Met sensor?  Meteorological sensor?
Yes. To be exact it's a crosswind sensor for the ballistic computer. Pretty much standard in any tank since the mid 70s, basically introduced globally in parallel to laser rangefinders on tanks.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
There's a huge series of military gifs of all types here

https://imgur.com/user/hw97karbine

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Just been to a branch of the Royal Armouries museum at Fort Nelson just outside Portsmouth

Here's a link to the photos on Facebook (no, you don't need a Facebook account to look at them)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10156790903125874&type=1&l=37851e3263
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

lrose

• Master Sergeant
Having that rear hatch would make loading a LOT faster than typical up-and-over through the turret hatches.  Save a few minutes (and some fatigue) per each tank crew, it adds up over a battalion or brigade.

From what I understand the biggest advantage is that it only takes two crewmen to load the ammo allowing the other crewmen to work on other tasks.

grimlock1

• Captain
Also it's not like the Israelis have only a few crews and a bunch of tanks for them to jump out of and run back to get in and drive to the front.  They mobilize all they can handle, Merkavas or Sabras or whatever; the point the Israelis consider is that their total population is less than 9 million and individual lives are very important culturally.  So like the Americans, they do a lot to protect their troops, tankers or infantry or whatever.  The idea of protecting the crew comes from that point of view, not "they can come back in a new tank" or anything.

Isn't the crew compartment on the Merkova also free of oils and greases to reduce the risk of fire?  As I ask the question, I have to wonder how you could do that and still keep things sliding properly... Graphite or silicone base lubricants?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
Isn't the crew compartment on the Merkova also free of oils and greases to reduce the risk of fire?  As I ask the question, I have to wonder how you could do that and still keep things sliding properly... Graphite or silicone base lubricants?

Fairly sure silicon based (silicone is the stuff in breast implants) and am certain graphite would burn

I would guess they avoid having pipework for things like flammable hydraulics able to spray into the crew areas
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!

Tank destroyer. Assault guns are meant to engage fortifications and dug in positions in direct support of Infantry. The S-Tank is meant as an Anti-tank unit.

Register