Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles version M4 - are we going with that? Sure, man.  (Read 199276 times)

grimlock1

• Captain
The one with the three tanks together is a trio of French St Charmond's their first tank.  And the AV-7's in its bubble to try and prevent moisture from getting to her, she's an old lady and really any maintnenace now is purely preservative. 

Bovington did get an AV-7 replica made though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztkKJUQB4rU

I wonder if modern machining tolerance, experience, and perhaps materials have made these replicas anymore reliable than the originals?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
they would almost have to be, given they'd have to meet modern safety standards in general.

grimlock1

• Captain
they would almost have to be, given they'd have to meet modern safety standards in general.
I can't speak for over the pond, but OSHA is surprisingly specific in what they require and if it's not spelled out, it's not required. Many modern safety rules are put in place by the organizations, not imposed by the government.

While that AV-7 is not original, which would grandfather it, it's not a consumer product, nor would there be any attempt to make it street legal. As long as you stay away from legal definitions like "car" or "truck," or "tractor."  It's not a "vehicle."  It's a collection of parts, that just so happens to move about under it's own power.

ATF might take issue if the cannon was live.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
I can't speak for over the pond, but OSHA is surprisingly specific in what they require and if it's not spelled out, it's not required. Many modern safety rules are put in place by the organizations, not imposed by the government.

While that AV-7 is not original, which would grandfather it, it's not a consumer product, nor would there be any attempt to make it street legal. As long as you stay away from legal definitions like "car" or "truck," or "tractor."  It's not a "vehicle."  It's a collection of parts, that just so happens to move about under it's own power.

ATF might take issue if the cannon was live.

The Tank Museum is in the middle of an army base

I suspect the Tank Museum's YouTube feed on their A7V may well give some details... it was in the shed when I last visited so I couldn't get up close
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
Linky-link

https://youtu.be/YXO9VK1uyFs

There is a photo of several A7Vs together though

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

kato

• Captain
The Panzermuseum at Munster also only has a A7V replica. It's set into an indoor WW1 trench warfare diorama.

English-language video on the history of the A7V (25 min) using the Munster replica for portrayal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESKxi4EEDUQ
They go inside it at around 7:00.

The replica was built in the 80s. They claim it's "as close to accurate as possible based on existing sources". With "5% guesswork".

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Seeing the footage of a P-39 being started up reminded me of this vid of a ISU-152 that had been sat outside of the better part of sixty odd years without any maintenance being recovered to be put on display somewhere.  And once they basically fixed the batteries and did an oil change the damn thing still worked.  That Soviet farm machinery engineering!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plbhXcjAPIk
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Freaking cool1!!

Dave Talley

• Major
there is also a T 34 recovered from a lake where they drained and refueled it and it was able to start
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
They sure don't make 'em like they used to...  ::)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
They sure don't make 'em like they used to...  ::)
I have seen piece of a video where is explained that Abrams tanks crippled in battle have been recovered, repaired, and upgraded. Or were you referring to T-90?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
I think Daryk was referring to the fact that a tank that spent half a century underwater was able to start running after receiving nothing beyond being drained and having its fluids replaced.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
I think Daryk was referring to the fact that a tank that spent half a century underwater was able to start running after receiving nothing beyond being drained and having its fluids replaced.
So water did not corrode batteries and their wiring? If true, then that's pretty damn impressive, for I have experience with cars and vehicles that have needed battery maintenance and replacements.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
The tank in question was in anaerobic environment, in a bog. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-34#Surviving_vehicles
Also the engine wasn't in working condition as it was.

Assuming that was what you were talking about.

Reckon anoxic lake bottom would be similar case. Sea water on the other hand...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
I was referring to both tanks (the T-34 and the ISU-152 posted by Marauder)…  8)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
Shameful job parking, that.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
i am always amazed at how tiny those old tanks are.

Kidd

• Major
M1A2sepv3, or "M1A2C", at Yuma Proving Grounds

next to AMPV ambulance?

Kidd

• Major
Question: the 0.50-cal M2 Browning was around in WW2, as was the 12.7mm Dshk. Some of the lighter-skinned vehicles of the era could theoretically be penetrated by these guns.

Did it ever happen in combat?

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Well if you consider aerial vehicles, like Bf109s and Fw190s then yes plenty of combat kills of lighter-skinned vehicles during WW2  :D
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Question: the 0.50-cal M2 Browning was around in WW2, as was the 12.7mm Dshk. Some of the lighter-skinned vehicles of the era could theoretically be penetrated by these guns.

Did it ever happen in combat?

Plenty of tales of strafe runs on trains, destroyers and the like...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
I'm pretty sure I saw something mention them punching through the sides of the little tankettes that the Japanese were using.

I mean, it was confirmed that standard-issue American rifles could penetrate the armor over the engine block on a Type 95 so a .50 cal machine gun wouldn't have had a lot of trouble.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2019, 20:27:37 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Dave Talley

• Major
basically any soft skin of course, but essentially any armored car or halftrack was dead meat, virtually any Japanese armor, Japanese destroyers or lighter ships were definitely able to be penetrated in many areas
in the ETO destroyers were better armored, tanks especially older models such as the panzer 3 and its variants, Panzer 1&2s,
on newer/heavier units such as panzer 4s, panthers and tigers, from most angles they were immune except for vision block hits and such, from higher angles such as strafing aircraft, engine decks, ventilation areas, external fuel and such were able to be damaged
now there are pilots who swear they were able to take out tanks by hitting the bellies, and there are films showing rounds bouncing off foads into tanks, but i have never heard of any after action report listing belly damage from 50 sized weapons
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Kidd

• Major
Rheinmetall says they're ready to roll out a C-RAM/drone laser turret

Decades of imagined chrome-barreled death rays with fins and coils hanging off 'em every which way has left me feeling a tad underwhelmed by this webcamlike thingy

« Last Edit: 05 March 2019, 03:38:41 by Kidd »

kato

• Captain
It's pretty much just a more compact version of the one they tested in 2012 against the same targets.

The original container version looked a whole lot more like MANTIS too - mostly because it was basically a MANTIS turret with the 35mm replaced by a drop-in multiple laser unit. Their main problem was that they didn't have any 20 kW modules, so they just jury-rigged a 30 kW version like this...

(for scale: the base is about 8' by 8')

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Ftankmuseum%2Fvideos%2F305477900370892%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

I hope this link works, it should be to a video of Tiger 131 running

Dave Talley

• Major
https://m.facebook.com/groups/1702825809944254

this group has several members who volunteer or work at the various museums in UK
“Toe jam in training”

JA Baker

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...

Decades of imagined chrome-barreled death rays with fins and coils hanging off 'em every which way has left me feeling a tad underwhelmed by this webcamlike thingy

aww yes, one more step towards making a Zeus! the fanbase may have dismissed the embedded lens aperture style, but real life rewards my aesthetic once more!
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Closer aned closer to the obsolescense of combat aircraft...
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman