Author Topic: Armored Fighting Vehicles version M4 - are we going with that? Sure, man.  (Read 196882 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Details?  PLEASE!  ;D

Kidd

• Major
Another angle, and the story

Source: https://belsat.eu/en/news/drunken-man-takes-tank-drive-in-polish-town/

A drunken man and his friend were driving a T-55 tank along the streets of a small Polish town of Pajęczno. Earlier, the tank belonged to Poland’s Armed Forces.

The local police was informed of the situation at 21.40 on Thursday evening. A few minutes later, the officers stopped the military vehicle on Mickiewicz street, Twoje Pajęczno reports. The 49-year-old ‘tankman’ was intoxicated.

As it turned out, after being repaired, the tank was to be transported on the special platform. But its owner invited his acquaintance to have an unusual ride.

The driver was detained; he spent a night in the police station. Now he may face up to 8 years of imprisonment for creating a situation of danger.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Too funny... at least it looks like he didn't do much damage during the joy ride...

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Too funny... at least it looks like he didn't do much damage during the joy ride...

And the cop(s) responding to the call now have an almost once in a lifetime story to tell the kids/grandkids.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I'm sure they HOPE it's a once in a lifetime story!  ;D

kato

• Captain
The last time someone did that over here police stopped him on a bridge.

He was stopped on that bridge, moved over into the turret and was moving it around a bit, taking aim. With 66 rounds of live 105mm onboard. Then he thought he should get into a better position to aim, moved back to the driver's position, put the tank in reverse and kinda miscalculated his momentum.

And yes, the water got him.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I'm sure the water had some help from the alcohol in that case too...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
I did an image search, and it came up "Toyota Prius". If only they offered the 105mm upgrade here in Australia  :(

"But worst of all, the tank was not insured!"
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
God, I'm just thinking back to the guy who stole the M-60 back in San Diego; I was still in El Cajon at that time.  We were terrified he was gonna stop on the freeway, turn around, and charge south in the northbound lane and go into all the stopped cars that the police had blocked off, but instead...well, thank God it turned out the way it did.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

kato

• Captain
The above one in Mannheim in '82 careened through a pedestrian shopping street on saturday high-time for two hours, drove over ten cars in a side street and sliced open a tram for a 15 ft long gash.

Still only four injured overall though.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
God, I'm just thinking back to the guy who stole the M-60 back in San Diego; I was still in El Cajon at that time.  We were terrified he was gonna stop on the freeway, turn around, and charge south in the northbound lane and go into all the stopped cars that the police had blocked off, but instead...well, thank God it turned out the way it did.

Years ago, I heard a story that when the US was retiring the M60s, the ended up going all sorts of places. Here in Canada, we had one delivered to a reserve armoury in Windsor. "Here; take it. Check it out, play with it. It's a gift. If you want them; you can have them. Have your people call our people."

The tank ended up on display in Borden as part of the (Quite impressive) tank park.

http://preservedtanks.com/Locations.aspx?LocationCategoryId=8000

Naturally; we turned them down. While we've always had our issues up north; we've never been the type to look for a vast inventory of obsolescent hardware in order to increase coverage or try for quantity over quality. We prefer a small inventory of obsolescent hardware, thankyouverymuch.

However...

Another source told me that M60s, parts and even ammuntion had been disposed of through various US Government services and ended up in some rather weird places. Someone's department of highways, for instance (State of Washington?). I have always wondered if there was any truth to this?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
I would imagine a Patton, with the turret pulled and covered over into an ersatz recovery vehicle, would make one unstoppable plow or wrecker.

And yeah, there's been a few rounds of surplus military hardware - even big stuff, like armored vehicles - being shipped around to various police and special services units in the US.  After the big drawdown in Iraq, probably every police chief with dreams of a SWAT team got themselves a free MRAP.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
I would imagine a Patton, with the turret pulled and covered over into an ersatz recovery vehicle, would make one unstoppable plow or wrecker.

Unstoppable, but also rather expensive to keep running, I'd guess.  Between the fuel costs, the issues of maintenance (because you're not just going to be able to take it to the standard garage), and problems caused by its weight on bridges and other structures, it might not be the best choice.

I've heard of multiple cases of police departments snapping up surplus military gear, then going broke trying to actually pay to keep it running.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

kato

• Captain
Related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHlujDSOfCE

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Nnnnnnneat.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
Long history of converting surplus tanks to farm equipment here in Aus:

Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant

Someone's department of highways, for instance (State of Washington?). I have always wondered if there was any truth to this?

They're using them for avalanche control.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZLfboCceGA

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Here are some military vehicles used in the Chernobyl clean up.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Long history of converting surplus tanks to farm equipment here in Aus:
"Swords to ploughs" anyone? BattleTech book Legacy has that going too.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
They're using them for avalanche control.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZLfboCceGA

That's pretty clever.

Would I rather be in a tank than on-foot if I got hit by an avalanche?  Surely yes?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Dave Talley

• Major
well the tank wont be moved as much due to its mass
and if inside you will have air for a couple hours assuming you shut the engine
down quickly, and if close to the surface, simply moving the turret and main gun you might be able tunnel out
if not you are in a big metal box with little heat and all that metal is going conduct what heat you have away very soon
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering

And yeah, there's been a few rounds of surplus military hardware - even big stuff, like armored vehicles - being shipped around to various police and special services units in the US.  After the big drawdown in Iraq, probably every police chief with dreams of a SWAT team got themselves a free MRAP.

Much like everything else, it's the upkeep and maintenance that gets you. Almost sounds like some kind of company store play  :D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
There was a link from the video about a railroad company up in Alaska that uses a howitzer for the same job...

kato

• Captain
There was a link from the video about a railroad company up in Alaska that uses a howitzer for the same job...
There's also a group in the Sierra Nevada that uses a WW2 howitzer and intermittently had borrowed a M119 from the US Army for the job until they needed it back for Iraq.

In the Alps they just use bazookas (old RL-83 Blindicide) or 120mm mortars (more rare).

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
An M119 corresponds to an AC2?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase

If it's the group from Juneau, they once missed so badly they accidentally hit Canada.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant

I thought I had seen that too but I couldn't remember where I saw it.  There was also a group in the US that was using one of the large recoilless rifles at one point.

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
And very technically interesting tanks, IRL; the post-war 76mm retrofit into the original (T43?) Turrets was pretty clever, but I wonder what it was like on the crews?

US Army ordinance did versions of this Sherman in WWII (in '42 or maybe '43) to test the feasibility of using an M1 76mm cannon in the older 75mm turret. The conclusion was that the installation was too cramped & compromised the "fightability" of the tank. They opted to wait instead for a larger turret (i.e. the T23 turret). Post war, many surplus SHermans were upgraded with the M1A1 cannon (called M4AxE9 IIRC) & supplied to US allies. I'm pretty sure Pakistan had them, & maybe India as well.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

Kidd

• Major
Murica - our state troopers have 105mm artillery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_BPcqIL0KY

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
An M119 corresponds to an AC2?
Neg. Try Thumper.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.