Author Topic: Looking for another Metallic in the Army Painter or GW line.  (Read 1488 times)

MarauderD

• Major
So I've been using GW Leadbelcher for the trim on my mechs for the most part:  joints, fists, and weapon barrels.  For the most part, I like the look of it.  What I need is another metallic accent color for all those mechs that hold something in their fist--I don't like painting the barrel of the weapon the exact same color as the fist of the hand that is holding it.

So if I keep using Leadbelcher with some Nuln Oil on top for my weapon barrels, does anyone have a suggestion for another metallic accent color for mech fists?  I thought about trying a bronze or darker iron color.  My FLGS carries both GW paints and Army Painter paints, so if anyone can suggest a color there it would be helpful.  I've already used GW Ironbreaker and Runefang Silver, and found them to be too bright for this. 

(Ironbreaker fists looked too bright here on my Thunderbolt experiment)

So I'm shooting for either a dark bronze or dark iron look. 

Any Suggestions?
« Last Edit: 24 March 2022, 17:31:12 by MarauderD »

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
Re: Looking for another Metallic in the Army Painter or GW line.
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2022, 17:55:41 »
GW's darkest silver color would be Iron Warriors.  Also take a look at Iron Hands Steel, which although being closer to Ironbreaker is a really nice color and my go to instead of Leadbelcher or Ironbreaker.

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2022, 19:10:46 »
It's not GW or AP, but Scale75 Black metal is awesome.

Fortyone

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2022, 20:45:30 »
I bought a paint to try for a dark metal/blued steel look. It's from Turbo Dork and called Dark Net. I'm priming some stuff tomorrow evening and I'll throw in a random piece of plastic to try and post results in a few days.

It's a color shifting paint and from the label appears to look kind of like a dark gun metal. The plan is to paint weapon barrels if it meets expectations.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 25 March 2022, 15:08:09 »
I looked for Scale75 paints but couldn't find a place to order it online.

Went ahead and picked up Army Painter Rough Iron & Weapon Bronze.  I think I'll try both on the Capellan Thud as a testbed to see how they look.

Thanks for the input, all!

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 29 March 2022, 14:42:34 »
Did one fist in Rough Iron and the other in a 50/50 blend of Rough Iron and Weapon Bronze.  The blend is too orange, so that is out.  Rough Iron is a tad dark, but I think I'll use it and see how it looks for while.

Register