Author Topic: Mech design decisions that make no sense  (Read 144747 times)

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
Re: Mech design decisions that make no sense
« Reply #210 on: 18 January 2019, 14:22:56 »
I'd split the difference and get 2 medium lasers and 2 more tons of LRM ammo.

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #211 on: 18 January 2019, 15:24:25 »
The one argument I can see for the SRM launcher is Frag SRMs, because the major threat to a lance of missile support 'Mechs should be infantry ambush. The SRM is at least useful in that regard, whereas lasers only help against threats you should be running away from to get outside LRM minimum range.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #212 on: 18 January 2019, 15:55:08 »
I'd load up on Infernos to disturb my enemies from pursuing me too closely...

And I'll also would shoot my LRMs ripple style, meaning one per turn u til a number is good then double tap! Unless it's a firemission of Thunder rounds...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #213 on: 22 January 2019, 09:20:31 »
I'd load up on Infernos to disturb my enemies from pursuing me too closely...

And I'll also would shoot my LRMs ripple style, meaning one per turn u til a number is good then double tap! Unless it's a firemission of Thunder rounds...

TT

You have one ton per launcher. You cannot *afford* to take Thunder rounds.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Atarlost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #214 on: 22 January 2019, 17:04:32 »
The one argument I can see for the SRM launcher is Frag SRMs, because the major threat to a lance of missile support 'Mechs should be infantry ambush. The SRM is at least useful in that regard, whereas lasers only help against threats you should be running away from to get outside LRM minimum range.

Frag SRMs aren't good enough to justify the launcher.  Normal SRMs do damage/5 to infantry and Frag SRMs double that.  That's only 4 damage.  They're a reasonable anti-infantry tool if you're already using SRMs as an anti-mech or anti-vehicle weapon and just have to add a ton of ammo, but if you intend to run from everything but infantry you'd be better served by anything on the burst fire table. 

The_Caveman

• Lieutenant
  • A Living Fossil
« Reply #215 on: 22 January 2019, 17:48:16 »
Frag SRMs aren't good enough to justify the launcher.  Normal SRMs do damage/5 to infantry and Frag SRMs double that.  That's only 4 damage.  They're a reasonable anti-infantry tool if you're already using SRMs as an anti-mech or anti-vehicle weapon and just have to add a ton of ammo, but if you intend to run from everything but infantry you'd be better served by anything on the burst fire table.

That's a problem with a rules change nerfing equipment that had no need to be nerfed. BMR-era Frag SRMs did 4 damage each to infantry which made them a credible deterrent.
Half the fun of BattleTech is the mental gymnastics required to scientifically rationalize design choices made decades ago entirely based on the Rule of Cool.

The other half is a first-turn AC/2 shot TAC to your gyro that causes your Atlas to fall and smash its own cockpit... wait, I said fun didn't I?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #216 on: 22 January 2019, 18:29:23 »
That also provided a legitimate reason to chose frag missiles over Infernos besides "for some bizarre reason, I don't want to set this thing on fire."
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #217 on: 22 January 2019, 18:57:50 »
You have one ton per launcher. You cannot *afford* to take Thunder rounds.

Your thinking inside the box... If I wanted to only carry a single ton of (3) Thunder rounds and a single standard LRM.... I can lay down 3 turns of standard if I double shoot or ripple fire for 6, and I can still do a fire solution in a minefield if I want one.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Atarlost

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #218 on: 23 January 2019, 13:38:32 »
The thing is, if you're ripple firing you have more launchers than you need which points back to the design making no sense.  You could drop one LRM-20 and only lose a reserve capacity you might use one round in five and have 10 tons to do something else with, or you could have two LRM-15 and enough ammo to fire both of them over a typical engagement and have 3 or 4 tons to play with. 

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #219 on: 23 January 2019, 20:41:01 »
I know right?

I have a soft spot for a pair of Archer-2S... adding a Warhammer-6D and a Painback!

Oh good times....

But in reality there should more canon variances than listed.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #220 on: 17 March 2019, 21:38:07 »
Anyone mention TRO3050 Hunchback yet?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #221 on: 17 March 2019, 22:13:00 »
You mean the -5M?

It kinda sucks... but at least we get CASE for it...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #222 on: 17 March 2019, 23:26:13 »
How about the stock Banshee?  Why the Star Leauge didn't follow Steiner's idea for refitting it into the 3S I still never know. Or the Dasher II?  A 360 XL with MASC would have been a better choice then a 400 XL for payload.  As for the Hunchback-5M, that was sloppy work just like the Quickdraw or the 3050 Steinr Stalker. A better version for long range firepower and general trooper status would have been to remove 3 heat sinks, use up 2 tons for a Gauss Rifle and another ton of ammo, switch the remaining AC 20 ammo for another ton of ammo (making 16 shots), and add another medium laser. 

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #223 on: 17 March 2019, 23:35:26 »
The Gauss-back was top heavy in canon...

But otherwise was a good idea...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

mmmpi

• Corporal
« Reply #224 on: 17 March 2019, 23:57:53 »
How about the stock Banshee?  Why the Star Leauge didn't follow Steiner's idea for refitting it into the 3S I still never know.

The 3S didn't come out until 3026.  (So sayeth Sarna.)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #225 on: 18 March 2019, 00:33:50 »
not existing *is* a good excuse for failing to follow up

The Gauss-back was top heavy in canon...

But otherwise was a good idea...

yeah, it seems like a natural 3048-3052 first gen upgrade. by 3068 they apparently fixed the issue when 5SG was rolled out

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #226 on: 18 March 2019, 00:42:32 »
Actually, it's a Draconis 3039 prototype for a new type of Helm Gauss that was captured from FedCom forces... excellent range and damage but poor weight to recoil effect...

I'd say the Gyro wasn't calibrated correctly... since it was a field job and all, jury-rigged.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #227 on: 18 March 2019, 00:47:07 »
The gladiator omnimech, and the tinfoil protecting the front side torsos relative to every other location.

Maybe they were planning on using elementals are battlefield-replaceable armor? Seems a bit hard on the toads though.

Every other aspect of the mech save cost is great, but I can't forgive the vulnerable side torsos.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #228 on: 18 March 2019, 02:27:02 »
not existing *is* a good excuse for failing to follow up

yeah, it seems like a natural 3048-3052 first gen upgrade. by 3068 they apparently fixed the issue when 5SG was rolled out

The 5SG was a unique design.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #229 on: 18 March 2019, 06:35:00 »
Huh so it is. Shame as it’s a really good design

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

massey

• Captain
« Reply #230 on: 18 March 2019, 08:53:59 »
You mean the -5M?

It kinda sucks... but at least we get CASE for it...

TT

I'm willing to give a pass to the 3050 upgrades.  It was brand new technology to the Inner Sphere, and they really didn't know how the stuff worked.  There are a lot of "bad" designs in that book, but it makes sense that they'd have bad designs.

Plus I don't think all the technology was available to every manufacturer.  Just because you get access to CASE doesn't mean you've got access to Endo Steel.  Your company might get a shipment of ER PPCs but that doesn't mean you can get your hands on any Double Heat Sinks.  People made do with what they had, and a lot of times I don't think they understood the performance envelopes (i.e., game stats) of the equipment they were installing.

With the CASE, I imagine that it was sold as a way to save a mech from an ammo explosion.  Miracle technology, of course you'd want it.  The fact that it has appreciable weight, enough to affect what equipment the mech can carry, probably wasn't mentioned.  It takes up a crit slot too, and in real world terms that probably means that the internal space the Hunchback had allocated for ammo (xxx cubic feet) was reduced.  To get back up to 2 tons of ammo, you might have to redesign the entire torso layout.  Design in-universe is probably harder than it is for us, where we can just say "drop the small laser", they don't necessarily have that option.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #231 on: 18 March 2019, 09:19:00 »
I believe it was the armor that got suffered. You want CASE, sure lose half a ton...

Most Pilots wouldn't want to lose a weapon even as simple as a small laser.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #232 on: 18 March 2019, 09:43:57 »
I'm willing to give a pass to the 3050 upgrades.  It was brand new technology to the Inner Sphere, and they really didn't know how the stuff worked.  There are a lot of "bad" designs in that book, but it makes sense that they'd have bad designs.

Plus I don't think all the technology was available to every manufacturer.  Just because you get access to CASE doesn't mean you've got access to Endo Steel.  Your company might get a shipment of ER PPCs but that doesn't mean you can get your hands on any Double Heat Sinks.  People made do with what they had, and a lot of times I don't think they understood the performance envelopes (i.e., game stats) of the equipment they were installing.

With the CASE, I imagine that it was sold as a way to save a mech from an ammo explosion.  Miracle technology, of course you'd want it.  The fact that it has appreciable weight, enough to affect what equipment the mech can carry, probably wasn't mentioned.  It takes up a crit slot too, and in real world terms that probably means that the internal space the Hunchback had allocated for ammo (xxx cubic feet) was reduced.  To get back up to 2 tons of ammo, you might have to redesign the entire torso layout.  Design in-universe is probably harder than it is for us, where we can just say "drop the small laser", they don't necessarily have that option.

i agree, though i would like to see the original 3050 variants pushed up to 3035-3045 and a second run of refined designs between 3048-3055 like we got with the XTROs and TRO prototypes

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #233 on: 18 March 2019, 11:23:28 »
I think we basically saw that with the various upgrade designs that popped up in FASA's Record Sheet: Upgrades, TRO: Project Phoenix, and TRO: 3050 Upgrade.  Rather than just do a few bugfixes, manufacturers waited a couple years and released new versions of the mechs that were upgraded with newer tech.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #234 on: 18 March 2019, 12:30:53 »
3056-3062ish, sure but it makes little sense to me to have these weapons systems listed as common (ie available to most everyone)  by 3040-3045 and zero production models debuting before 3047.

the re-intro dates for a lot of helm systems are set in the mid to late 3030s so ~3040 prototype awkwardness (aka the original tro 3050 batch) could easily be pushed forward five to ten years with room for designs far more useful against the initial clan onslaught.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2019, 12:34:18 by Sartris »

massey

• Captain
« Reply #235 on: 18 March 2019, 16:24:33 »
3056-3062ish, sure but it makes little sense to me to have these weapons systems listed as common (ie available to most everyone)  by 3040-3045 and zero production models debuting before 3047.

the re-intro dates for a lot of helm systems are set in the mid to late 3030s so ~3040 prototype awkwardness (aka the original tro 3050 batch) could easily be pushed forward five to ten years with room for designs far more useful against the initial clan onslaught.

That's just a relic of real world publication dates, and what is basically an incomplete retcon of tech reintroduction.

Lethal Heritage, the first book in the Clan saga, was published a few months before TRO 2750 and about 7 or 8 months before TRO 3050.  The novel had the Clans hit an Inner Sphere that had recovered zero advanced technology.  Every unit was using standard 3025 tech, because that's all that existed at that time in the real world.  While Star League tech was supposed to be more advanced, nobody had ever published what it was supposed to be able to do.

For several years in real world time, the new tech intro dates were right around 3050.  Experimental tech was shoved into production to meet the Clan onslaught.  Much later, the decision was made to backdate a lot of the tech intro times, so that the process appeared more gradual.  That's why you've got the conflict in when certain pieces of equipment became available.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #236 on: 18 March 2019, 16:30:09 »
yes, i know why it is like it is.

i'm saying finish the retcon and make 3050 IS more playable

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #237 on: 18 March 2019, 16:45:55 »
yes, i know why it is like it is.

i'm saying finish the retcon and make 3050 IS more playable

Its plenty playable . . . I have a binary vs your battalion & supports.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #238 on: 18 March 2019, 16:47:24 »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #239 on: 18 March 2019, 17:10:31 »
I back of the head slap you both!

I challenge you with a complete Level II Choir! I'm all cybered up and ready to steamroll you over...  >:D

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse