Author Topic: Naval Pictures X: Underway on Nuclear Power  (Read 20936 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Naval Pictures X: Underway on Nuclear Power
« Reply #360 on: 03 April 2024, 20:45:45 »
coastal monitors are a great source of weird warship designs, due to their cramming such big guns into such small hulls.

the HMS Lord Clive always caught my eye for it's fixed side mounted 18inch gun.. which apparently was done because the turreted twin 12inch guns weren't seen as enough firepower..

So what was the recoil like with a gun that big on a ship that small?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #361 on: 03 April 2024, 21:42:51 »
The Soviets played with this as well in WWII, with at least two destroyers being fitted with side-mounted 12" guns (I believe salvaged from the sunken Marat, though I'm not 100% sure on the source) for bombarding German shore positions. Keep the starboard side pointed at the beach, make very limited horizontal adjustments (major ones relied on turning the whole ship), and put heavy shells down on the beach outside the range of return fire. Neat idea, and a better use of old pre-Revolution DDs than just sending them in close to the beach to get savaged by shore batteries or Z-boats.

I've seen a reference to a similar idea being considered for old Wickes and Clemson-class DDs early in WWII for the Pacific island-invasion campaigns, but by the time anyone really worked on solid plans for it the Pearl Harbor ships were coming back into service, and provided the needed fire support instead. (This is also the reason the idea to salvage the aft half of the Arizona to turn into a shore bombardment ship, with a new front end, came to nothing.) A similar idea to convert Omaha-class CLs into jury-rigged Atlanta-style CLAAs, with 5"38s and quad-40mms replacing the 6-inch guns, also died off due to new-construction ships coming into service and making the Omahas- AA ships or standard- completely irrelevant for further use.

Holy cow, if you could find more on the proposed Omaha conversions, and the Wickes/Clemson ones, I'd love to see more.  I've always had a soft spot for the four-stacker cruisers and destroyers, and would love to know more.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #362 on: 04 April 2024, 00:00:31 »
Holy cow, if you could find more on the proposed Omaha conversions, and the Wickes/Clemson ones, I'd love to see more.  I've always had a soft spot for the four-stacker cruisers and destroyers, and would love to know more.

Some of the British C-class WW1 light cruisers underwent similar conversions, particularly the HMS Coventry, HMS Curlew, and (eventually) all of the Carlisle subclass.

HMS Delhi was also refit as an AA ship in the US, but was more of a one-off

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #363 on: 04 April 2024, 03:21:13 »
Circling around also gives time to prep the weapon again- there's no ammo hoist bringing shells up from below decks the way a battleship does, everything is more ad-hoc. In the Soviet case, shells were stored in a deckhouse next to the gun- so, you know, above the main deck, and manhandled viaa small gantry and sheer conscript muscle to bring a few of them to the breech area at a time. (I'm actually unsure about the layout of ships like the Lord Clive, but the sheer size of those shells likely warranted a less manpower-oriented approach). So by circling, you get off your three or four shots, putter around to a refreshed position, and while you're in transit prep your next few salvos.
Lord Clive had a whole narrow-gauge railway on deck to handle the 18" ammo.

British railway mania - not only on land! :cheesy:

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #364 on: 06 April 2024, 18:34:45 »
This popped up on Reddit.   HMS Hood under construction in Clydebank, Scotland, approximately 1916-1917.

Found this interesting, given the John Brown shipyard has so many cranes surrounding the ship being built.  I hadn't realized they needed so many back then.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #365 on: 06 April 2024, 18:36:38 »
When you think about it, makes sense - everything needs to be lifted into the hull, and more cranes means more progress per day.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #366 on: 06 April 2024, 18:37:51 »
Funny thing, I hadn't realize the ship is nearly as big as what would become the Iowa Class at 860' long and 104' wide.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #367 on: 07 April 2024, 12:47:40 »
I like the way that Hood is soo long that the hull extends off the land-ward end of the slip into the gap between the buildings...
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #368 on: 09 April 2024, 15:53:37 »

The Omaha-class stuff was... I think Norman Polmer, in his volume on U.S. cruiser designs, I want to say? It's been years since that book graced my shelves due to flooding (thanks, Sandy...), but I'm pretty sure that's where I came across that. Essentially, it would have been a twin-5" on each end replacing the twin-6" mounts, with the casemate guns removed entirely- where the upper casemates had been would have been quad-40mm mounts, although I wouldn't see any reason an open-mount 5"/38 couldn't work just as well there. I don't recall any of the other mods off the top of my head (torpedoes, light AA, etc.), but the other one that does stick in my mind is the removal of the tripod foremast for something more simple and less bulky to avoid blocking as much sky for the new forward 40mm mounts. Since by the time it was possible to start pulling these CLs out of service long enough for a conversion of this scale, though, it was because so many of thew newer Clevelands, improved-Atlantas, and of course newer DDs with their 5"38s, there just wasn't any real reason to waste the time on refitting these old dinosaurs. (I suspect a similar mentality is why the Colorado, for example, retained 5"/25s all the way to the end)

The 4-stackers, I honestly don't remember where I came across that, but like I said, none of that ever progressed as far as I know beyond the cocktail-napkin phase. The Navy lacked heavy ships (most of those were still being refurbished after a Hawaiian mud bath), but there were plenty of near-useless 4-stackers around, and leftover guns from when older ships were scrapped (12" from the Wyoming and prior, I assume it meant). Mount one fixed to one side, steam over to whatever tropical hellhole you want to land Marines on, and start thumping away. Inefficient as all hell, most likely- the fire rate would be awful, with only one jury-rigged gun and likely very little ammo to work with, but it beat nothing. But, luckily, an idea that batshit-crazy went away in favor of using the old battlewagons as they came back online- if a Clemson could fire a 12" shell every, say, 90 seconds (a number I'm pulling out of nowhere I admit, but there wouldn't be a standard hoist or any of that), and a New Mexico could throw twelve 14" every thirty seconds... why bother using up the shipyard resources on the DD idea? I'll see if I can find that reference again, but even back then it was pretty much a 'people got desperate for bad ideas, and sanity won the day' reference. I'm not even entirely sure where the gun would have been mounted on them, though aft seems as likely as any based on the Soviet and British attempts at the same.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #369 on: 13 April 2024, 15:59:43 »
Here's an interesting video on the 112(!) carriers the US used during WWII: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7jVfcbCxZE

Register