Author Topic: Who is your favorite mercenary unit? Why?  (Read 39156 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Re: Who is your favorite mercenary unit? Why?
« Reply #120 on: 23 July 2019, 15:18:44 »
The Minnesota Tribe. :D

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #121 on: 23 July 2019, 15:59:09 »
The weren't a Mercenary unit.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #122 on: 23 July 2019, 16:33:23 »
The weren't a Mercenary unit.
Well they acted like one. Seems like to be a merc unit you needed to beat up on the combine for a while.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #123 on: 24 July 2019, 07:55:40 »
You take money to fight, they didn't really do that. They just liberated people.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #124 on: 24 July 2019, 08:00:30 »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #125 on: 24 July 2019, 08:34:29 »
The Minnesota Tribe was just making up for years of Minnesota being too nice...and not winning championships.

theBigMac

• Private
« Reply #126 on: 01 August 2019, 10:40:02 »
McCarron's Armored Cav(even though they are a House unit now)
Hansen's Roughriders for a pure merc outfit.
"Rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads.  If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched.  There are no flags in the MAC."-Archie McCarron

"And there never will be." -Marcus Barton

fallen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #127 on: 03 August 2019, 10:44:43 »
The Black Omen are my favorite because of their motto.  "There are no dishonorable tactics when your life hangs in the balance".  Plus the fact that this one mercenary command can drive Clan Ghost Bear into a frenzy.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2019, 12:00:50 by fallen »

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #128 on: 03 August 2019, 11:09:54 »
The Crescent Hawks, because gateway drug and all, but also the Black Heart Roses because Sara Heart-Rose was the first merc leader I know of to play "gotta catch them all" with Battlemechs, which is pretty much all I do in the HBS game now. ;D

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

Phalanx

• Corporal
« Reply #129 on: 03 August 2019, 17:09:17 »
Large Unit(1 or more Mech Regiments): Northwind Highlanders
Something about a unit that plays scottish bagpipes from their Dropship's loudspeakers has to be the most creative use of music-as-psychological warfare. Plus the Royal Black Watch :)

Medium Unit(1 Mech Company to 1 Mech Battalion in size):Able's Aces
Something about a lesser known unit that could still maintain professionalism and battlefield competence, while managing to make a mark on the universe without aligning with a major power, always appealed to me.

Small Unit(1 Mech Lance or less): The Bounty Hunter
Outwitted Natasha Kerensky and stole her mech, proving that the Wolf's Dragoons could be beaten. Fought not for honor and glory, but the sweet c-bills.

Honorable Mentions:
Waco Rangers
Proof that ignoring your haters is not always a good idea.

Eridani Light Horse
A unit that experiences both highs and lows, but never loses its commitment to its core principles.

Snord's Irregulars
Who doesn't love a good treasure hunt?

Statesman:  Our Warlord.

Warlord:  Your Statesman.

-Liaofan

fallen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #130 on: 04 August 2019, 18:58:09 »
There are two more mercenary commands I would like to mention.
First, Little Richard's Panzer Brigade, because of the less than honorable tactics they used like false IFFs and colors.
Second, Bronson's Horde, because every story needs a villain, and they fit the role perfectly.

BoyOfSummer

• Master Sergeant
  • I'll either find a way or make one.
« Reply #131 on: 05 August 2019, 07:17:54 »
21st Centauri Lancers.

In fact the GDL was the first merc unit I got to know b/c the trilogy was my first contact with BT.

But from the canonical five merc units in the first german box set the Lancers were associated with the League, and the League was my choice from the five Successor States, so...

And later the Lancers were screwed over by the Wobbies. And everyone/everything in this position deserves my respect.

« Last Edit: 05 August 2019, 07:21:00 by BoyOfSummer »
If money could talk, it would say goodbye.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #132 on: 20 August 2019, 07:19:00 »
Gray Death - Totally hated the excuse of an ending they had.
Blue Star Irregulars - Captured a warship of their own. :D

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #133 on: 20 August 2019, 12:24:02 »
Gray Death - Totally hated the excuse of an ending they had.

New leadership failed?  Attritioned out as cannon fodder for the most important site in the Lyran Alliance?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #134 on: 20 August 2019, 13:55:20 »
Crater Cobras for me.  They have a lengthy history, they didn't get destroyed or disappear (I'm looking at you Knights of St. Cameron) and have seen action in notable engagements (i.e., Operation BULLDOG and were on Luthien during the Jihad).  They also have a cool paint scheme  :thumbsup:

Verloren Hoop

• Sergeant
  • Forlorn Hope
« Reply #135 on: 20 August 2019, 20:28:29 »
Crater Cobras for me.  They have a lengthy history, they didn't get destroyed or disappear (I'm looking at you Knights of St. Cameron) and have seen action in notable engagements (i.e., Operation BULLDOG and were on Luthien during the Jihad).  They also have a cool paint scheme  :thumbsup:

Another vote for the Crater Cobras.   Big on zellbrigen vs the Clans.   Fought in some big conflicts.  Survived the Jihad meatgrinder.   And somehow working for a state that doesn’t like mercs.   

I also really liked the Blue Star Irregulars—even painted up a lance.  I played that scenario from the 4th succession war book, trying to find a way for Col. Mona Troy to beat a lance of ‘mechs in her Zeus.  Loved their Officer names— Colonel Wu Tang, Major Hatfield-McCoy.  The short story about their last battle was awesome.  Shame the Blackstone Highlanders left them out to dry.  But karma came back to bite the Highlanders (in the form of the Lyran Royal Guards). 

Also another vote for the 17th Recon.  The novel trilogy was good reading.  I loved their family atmosphere.   Cassie Suthorn was a very well-written, non-MechWarrior POV character (in the Stackpole era, those seemed hard to come by).  Also, where else would you have a priest driving a ‘mech? 

In the first box set I purchased, I remember counters with merc unit logos.  I always liked the 21st Centauri Lancers logo.  Given their high rating and long history, there aren’t that many detailed accounts of their battles.  I had hoped to see something about them in Brush Wars, but IIRC it was just a few strategic movements.  Good to know they’re still around in the Dark Age. 
« Last Edit: 20 August 2019, 20:30:57 by Verloren Hoop »

BoloMKIV

• Private
« Reply #136 on: 23 August 2019, 10:16:12 »
I have always had a soft spot for The Big Mac, even though they ended up with House Liao (can't rely on Death Commandos and Warrior Houses forever).  Post Big Mac, no so sure.

MyndkryM

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #137 on: 02 September 2019, 13:59:17 »
How?  They were wiped out during the Jihad but had gotten mentioned in Dark Age so they had to come back . . . to become Falcon targets, blame the Lyrans for 'using' mercs.

Quote from: Era Report:3145 pg.29
"To the best of our knowledge, none survived."

If that ER is written from the perspective of the Republic Remnant in 3146, I'd wager their intelligence gathering capabilities being significantly diminished. The Pathfinders and 19th Cav have escaped and rebuilt the ELH in the past, I could see them doing it again.

« Last Edit: 02 September 2019, 14:01:54 by MyndkryM »
"Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead Troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers’ Green...."

-"Fiddler's Green" The US Cavalryman's Prayer

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #138 on: 05 September 2019, 11:53:25 »
The reason that happened was b/c they showed up in MWDA- hence why they had to be killed 'again.'  From my understanding, they were placed in the same funeral barge as any other possible IP infringing 3025 references but since Weisman included them as one of four MWDA mercs they had to be written to survive.  The last remnants are part of the Emperio, and thus not really Eridani Light Horse.

They're dead Jim.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #139 on: 09 September 2019, 14:18:21 »
They're dead Jim.

Their alive, but not as we know it...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

GoGo Yubari

• Sergeant
« Reply #140 on: 16 September 2019, 05:00:16 »
It'd have to be Wolf's Dragoons, even though for many that's probably the a obvious answer. I loved them back in the day, when things were simpler, and when they were just a cool looking logo in the same colors as their House employer (who also happened to be my favorite House then, so it all worked out). So, as their legends grew and we learned new stuff, I devoured it all. The Wolf's Dragoons sourcebook is - if not the best - definitely among my solid favorites. The Dragoons uniforms are awesome, too. And sure, as a force they've been painted as solidly elite, utterly professional and perhaps overachieving to some eyes, but their history also has twists and turns that have them greatly bloodied and beaten. They are battlefield heroes, sure, but they are also tragic. When the Clan plot line came, it of course took the Dragoons in a bold new direction that was only hinted at before. It didn't change my love for the unit though, but I did like them before all that happened just as well - if not more (when we could just enjoy the mystery).

I do like the ELH too for their own brand of professionalism and for being the defining Star League force turned merc. Really, there's plenty of cool mercenary units to around.

BattleMech Production 3025: thread  list
GoGo's MWO BATTLE ROMs: CBT MWO youtube

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #141 on: 16 September 2019, 09:58:21 »
First off, now I can't get that song out of my head.  🤣

Second, as a *living relic* of the Star League, the Emperio bound ELH gives me a disquieting disturbing feeling that at some point they will disappear from old age and end up slowly replaced by Escorpio re-enactors.  Kind of like the historical re-enactors we have today.  (Been watching too much Townsends on YouTube, hah!)

Their alive, but not as we know it...

TT

Xan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #142 on: 16 September 2019, 23:04:51 »
After seeing the Fighting Urukhai pop up in this list and looking it up on Sarna, i have a favorite based just off of the name/logo.  How in the world did that make it through copyrights?  As shown in the Jade Falcon trilogy some of today's literature made it through to the the 30XXs, so I can see LotR making it that long.  Did any books with the unit say anything about pulling their name from LotR?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #143 on: 17 September 2019, 11:06:49 »
Well . . . you get a LOT of modern references b/c authors thought it was funny in the 80s and they were so likely to be noticed by a minor game.  Then came the internet where everything can be linked . . . and all those references were getting nuked after the HG debacle.  So the Fighting Urukhai drove their DS into a astroids, Rhonda Snord medically retired as a cripple so no more Takin' Care of Business, Dr Banzai's crew b/c the New Avalon Cavaliers or something and mostly died retaking New Avalon at the end of the FCCW as the last reference, even the GDL/ELH were supposedly wiped b/c of their relation to authors who had left the stable at the time . . . all part of the Great Easter Egg Purge (were they scrambled?) which is funny b/c despite the attempts by editors to clamp down, some things slipped through much to groans (editors)/chuckles (audience).

I mean seriously, a section of a trippy rumor book called 'Through the Looking Glass' and a POV character voice is named Alice?  The phrase has meaning because the book!

To answer your question . . . some did, or instance Rhonda Snord referenced earlier is a huge fan of classical music by such composers like Bachman Turner Overdrive, I think she makes a Elvis reference too.  Plenty of pre-90s cultural stuff, but not much after since that is when history diverges . . . though we DO get a few philosophical and fictional writers referenced.  Usually such stuff is done as a indirect reference, they lump names like Bach, Beethoven, Elvis, and *made up reference* or list authors like Shakespeare, Shelly, Dickens, Steinbeck, Tolkien, and *made up reference* will be used to discuss the sophisticated/educated nature of a character while doing a bit of universe building.  We occasionally do get a few quotes from fictional sources after the history split.
« Last Edit: 17 September 2019, 11:15:30 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #144 on: 17 September 2019, 20:35:07 »
The Solaris Box Set had references to a Grateful Dead-themed restaurant in Solaris City.

But pop culture references are still very much a thing in Battletech, they're just a touch more subtle now- there's stuff like the "Roll Out" on the Grand Titan's shoulder in TRO 3055 Upgrade, or the fact that a bunch of Chaos Campaign missions are named after GI Joe characters, or how every single notable pilot for the Firefly has been named Captain Reynolds.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #145 on: 18 September 2019, 18:23:18 »
Yeah, a lot less blatant rip offs.

Another one that springs to mind being added during the Great Purge . . . the DroST IIA has a mention of the TRO version being a refit of due to a previous version having problems with the Capesan engines- they would just fall out of the sky.  It was also stated you could still expect to run into one out in the boonies.
Colt Ward

Xan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #146 on: 22 September 2019, 20:05:44 »
Thank you for the explanation and examples!  Are the Fighting Urukhai know for any particular 'Mech set ups?  I what I have been able to find indicated they had a lance of Night Hawks, and that the at least the Bar Hounds tended to favor light/Medium mechs.  I'm thinking I will need to try and paint a Lance up at some point in the future.

Also some Fireflies for Captain Renolds...

deathfrombeyond

• Lieutenant
  • The fuel that powers the Successor States
« Reply #147 on: 10 October 2019, 02:28:57 »
The Minnesota Tribe was just making up for years of Minnesota being too nice...and not winning championships.

Aside from being the home of the nba’s first dynasty?
If House Kurita is a punching bag, at least it's the weeble-wobble type that punches back. House Liao's like a speed bag that just hangs there and takes it. - Neko Bijin

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #148 on: 10 October 2019, 07:50:38 »
Aside from being the home of the nba’s first dynasty?

And don't forget the 1969 NFL Champions.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #149 on: 10 October 2019, 08:50:24 »
Yeah and I was here when Twins won in both '87 and '91.  But still...