Author Topic: Who is your favorite mercenary unit? Why?  (Read 38972 times)

killgore444

• Recruit
Re: Who is your favorite mercenary unit? Why?
« Reply #150 on: 18 November 2019, 02:24:12 »
I gotta say Camacho's Caballeros, because of that whole homeboy feel.... and which other merc unit gets to feel like a mexican gang?
I LOVED those books.  ;D
Unfortunately, I lost my copies. :-[
I just loved the characters, even if the main character wasn't a mechwarrior. I just found it funny that the MC had zero problem with a 14yo girl killing ejecting mechwarriors with a sniper rifle, beyond the 'don't let our MWs find out, they won't like it' advise.

Small Unit(1 Mech Lance or less): The Bounty Hunter
Outwitted Natasha Kerensky and stole her mech, proving that the Wolf's Dragoons could be beaten. Fought not for honor and glory, but the sweet c-bills.

Honorable Mentions:
Waco Rangers
Proof that ignoring your haters is not always a good idea.
>:D :thumbsup: 8)

My own choices are:
Camacho's Caballeros; for many many reasons. ;)

The Black Omen; Loved their original logo [which I'd like to find so I can download, all I can find is the new version].

Hansons Roughriders; I also liked the logo on them. But they are also dealt with better in canon, and date back to the original game.

Waco Rangers; I liked them when they were first introduced. And I liked how they ended.

Bronsons Horde; Likewise here, they were MERCENARIES! They were payed to kill civilians, they killed civilians.  >:D

BH and WR did a lot to upend the image/idea that mercenaries were the good guys and house troops were evil scumbags. Something that was needed.

RyokoMocha

• Corporal
  • I dream of space pirates with bright blue hair.
« Reply #151 on: 30 November 2019, 04:56:11 »
Team Banzai!  :)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #152 on: 10 December 2019, 12:24:04 »
I almost forgot about the Blue Star Irregulars. I always liked them and wished there was more info on them.

HyperionCormyr

• Corporal
« Reply #153 on: 20 December 2019, 20:39:00 »
Wolf's Dragoons- Primarily the 4th SW / Early Outreach years when they set up shop and opened up the planet to become the Merc Center of the Universe.

ELH- Pre-SERPENT / Left behind to get wiped out. Long history that they did everything possible to not compromise.

Northwind Highlanders- Mostly for style and as a nice counter balance to the Dragoons

Battle Magic and TekTeam- Something other than Mechs made for a nice change and I've always had a soft spot for the Engineering Department on Star Trek.

Nicolai_Malthus

• Recruit
  • Falcon punch!
« Reply #154 on: 23 December 2019, 13:03:05 »
I'll always have a soft spot for the Gray Death Legion, thanks to the novels. Their combination of superior tactics and pure dumb luck makes them very endearing.

Lately though, McCarron's Armored Cavalry, the Big MAC, has won me over. Out of all the outfits out there they seem to truly love what they do. Brash, unorthodox, not much for ceremony and always eager to kick their enemy where it hurts - what's not to love?
Battletech player from Malmö, Sweden.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #155 on: 23 December 2019, 13:05:56 »

what's not to love?
since you ask... the fact that they're not really a true merc unit, they're practically CCAF regulars

Nicolai_Malthus

• Recruit
  • Falcon punch!
« Reply #156 on: 23 December 2019, 13:23:09 »
Well, chucks. Let's go with Big MAC pre-Xin Sheng.
Battletech player from Malmö, Sweden.

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple Bird is Strong
    • The Big Red Youtube Channel
« Reply #157 on: 25 December 2019, 22:50:34 »
Hanson's Roughriders.

Beating the Dragoons was a big thing for them back in the day. And I'll never forget my evil trainer during Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries.  >:D
I Am Big_Red_40TECH and so can you.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #158 on: 25 December 2019, 23:46:45 »
"Don't think of them as people. Think of them as another line on your resume."
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple Bird is Strong
    • The Big Red Youtube Channel
« Reply #159 on: 25 December 2019, 23:54:31 »
"Don't think of them as people. Think of them as another line on your resume."

"I'm in the big mech in front of you, shoot me even once, and I'll tear that beer can you call a mech into scrap."

Best part? When I used to play, I'd run the first non-training mission, and score a mil+ salvage. Then I'd sell EVERYTHING and buy a stock ZEUS, before going into training.

The first time I did that, and he called my ZEUS a beer can compared to his Catapult, I blasted him into molten slag. lmao
I Am Big_Red_40TECH and so can you.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #160 on: 01 January 2020, 22:00:58 »
Still Vost's Lance...

Cause of the green chickens!

>:D

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016