Author Topic: Fan XTRO: The Society  (Read 63557 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Re: Fan XTRO: The Society
« Reply #90 on: 20 November 2020, 18:54:48 »
I understand.  I'm finally making real headway on my own project.  I find if I'm enthusiastic about a project, I can do it, but if I'm ambivalent or not interested, it just stalls.

Well, I look forward to it! 
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #91 on: 20 November 2020, 21:14:18 »
MainGunnery, are you working on a Field Manual or another XTRO? 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #92 on: 21 November 2020, 04:52:41 »
MainGunnery, are you working on a Field Manual or another XTRO?
The additional information can only fit in a Field Manual, also it will be difficult to justify many more new designs.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #93 on: 21 November 2020, 06:48:08 »
The additional information can only fit in a Field Manual, also it will be difficult to justify many more new designs.
Cool!  8) new field Manuel!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #94 on: 21 November 2020, 10:44:00 »

So more tech heavy than Design heavy? I can dig that.

Will there be some boondoggles included? Not 'needs further development,' or 'limited production,' but outright failures?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #95 on: 21 November 2020, 11:20:14 »
So more tech heavy than Design heavy? I can dig that.

Will there be some boondoggles included? Not 'needs further development,' or 'limited production,' but outright failures?
I promise no new function tech, boondoggles or lostech at best.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
« Reply #96 on: 21 November 2020, 11:20:39 »
Something related that I am working on:

[The Next Technological Jump]

Every great technological jump has occurred after consolidation of knowledge from a period of extensive experimentation. Clan technology was the result of the last technological jump, in which the scattered knowledge of the Star League was brought together allowing for early Clan scientists to quickly make that massive jump. 
   The last century has seen a huge amount of experimentation as various factions tried everything to keep or create an edge. Since our retreat to the Inner Sphere we have been busy with preparing for the next technological jump by gathering, linking and disseminating data. Partly as a result of our actions there have been a growing number of hints that humanity is on the precipice of the next jump.
   The possible rise of the IlClan under the Clan Wolf alliance is the perfect tool with which the Society can trigger the technological jump. But an IlClan under the Mongrel Jade Falcons will trigger a reign of destruction not seen since the worst days of the Succession Wars. As such the Society has dedicated a lot of resources for secretly aiding Clan Wolf, however should our work go to waste then the Society will have no choice but to either retreat from the Inner Sphere or to openly attack the Falcons. The latter option being a means of last resort, as a large scale open attack did not go well for the Society last time it was tried.

Have you considered pushing the IS powers to launch a joint attack?

Or that a cold war suddenly going active might spur the next advance?

...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #97 on: 21 November 2020, 18:14:52 »
I promise no new function tech, boondoggles or lostech at best.
Hmmm: illegal Design, Super Giant Combat BattleMech?

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #98 on: 22 November 2020, 07:57:14 »
Something related that I am working on:

[The Next Technological Jump]

Every great technological jump has occurred after consolidation of knowledge from a period of extensive experimentation. Clan technology was the result of the last technological jump, in which the scattered knowledge of the Star League was brought together allowing for early Clan scientists to quickly make that massive jump. 
   The last century has seen a huge amount of experimentation as various factions tried everything to keep or create an edge. Since our retreat to the Inner Sphere we have been busy with preparing for the next technological jump by gathering, linking and disseminating data. Partly as a result of our actions there have been a growing number of hints that humanity is on the precipice of the next jump.
   The possible rise of the IlClan under the Clan Wolf alliance is the perfect tool with which the Society can trigger the technological jump. But an IlClan under the Mongrel Jade Falcons will trigger a reign of destruction not seen since the worst days of the Succession Wars. As such the Society has dedicated a lot of resources for secretly aiding Clan Wolf, however should our work go to waste then the Society will have no choice but to either retreat from the Inner Sphere or to openly attack the Falcons. The latter option being a means of last resort, as a large scale open attack did not go well for the Society last time it was tried.

I'm kind of surprised only the destruction of the Succession Wars was mentioned. Not the Pentagon Wars, the Reavings, or the Jihad.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #99 on: 22 November 2020, 08:18:29 »
I'm kind of surprised only the destruction of the Succession Wars was mentioned. Not the Pentagon Wars, the Reavings, or the Jihad.
Well the Pentagon Wars and the Reavings are not relevant as it concerns the Inner Sphere, also the Succession Wars were worse then the Jihad so that was skipped for being not severe enough.

Have you considered pushing the IS powers to launch a joint attack?

Or that a cold war suddenly going active might spur the next advance?
There has already been a century of conflict and crazy research, now it just need to the right infrastructure to bring it all together and push it past the threshold, and the IlClan would be the ideal tool.

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #100 on: 22 November 2020, 09:28:27 »
Well the Pentagon Wars and the Reavings are not relevant as it concerns the Inner Sphere, also the Succession Wars were worse then the Jihad so that was skipped for being not severe enough.

I can see what you mean about the Jihad. These are Clanners though, some of which just escaped from Clan space. I would think the Pentagon Wars and Reavings would have more relevance to them than the Succession Wars.

Either way, looking forward to what you come up with.  :thumbsup:

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #101 on: 24 November 2020, 02:28:33 »
You'll have to tell me the secret of getting people to keep commenting on your things :D
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #102 on: 24 November 2020, 10:08:36 »
You'll have to tell me the secret of getting people to keep commenting on your things :D

Same, I mean I will write my fanfic in quiet but would like some padding

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #103 on: 24 November 2020, 18:08:09 »
I think it's because has pictures involved....

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #104 on: 24 November 2020, 18:40:05 »
I post a lot of different stuff and only a few things get this much attention. So I think that there is mostly just a great need for Society related material among the fans, it is a real shame that we are unlikely to see more from TPTB.

I think it's because has pictures involved....
That too.  ;)

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #105 on: 24 November 2020, 18:57:43 »
Will the Axion, Tachyon, and the other ASF you made for that Project Legion challenge show up?

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 25 November 2020, 12:53:07 »
Will the Axion, Tachyon, and the other ASF you made for that Project Legion challenge show up?
Those weren't actually mine designs but good work done by marauder648.
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/aerospace/design-challange-society-aerospace/msg1403422/#msg1403422

@All
Another tip is to post a 'fragment' of a project as single threads, to see what people think about an idea, design or concept. Something might feel like the best thing ever, but if it does not resonate with the fans, then it is really a shame.

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #107 on: 29 December 2020, 18:56:50 »

Those are in Project LEGION and while they appear in the stories and have stats they have not been drawn as yet.  Getting a slot with the various artists is hard and Marauder keeps taking all their time lol.

MCharke

• Corporal
« Reply #108 on: 29 January 2021, 17:50:49 »
I love the Hellstar so the Gatekeeper is a 'Mech I enjoy. It says the 'Mech must stand still to allow it to go weapons free in it's primary configuration. However, unless I'm mistaken, it has 31 double heatsinks, which means it could run and fire without heat build up. I couldn't find anything suggesting the Interface Cockpit or Nova Cews generated heat.
Mark Charke

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #109 on: 29 January 2021, 17:55:40 »
I love the Hellstar so the Gatekeeper is a 'Mech I enjoy. It says the 'Mech must stand still to allow it to go weapons free in it's primary configuration. However, unless I'm mistaken, it has 31 double heatsinks, which means it could run and fire without heat build up. I couldn't find anything suggesting the Interface Cockpit or Nova Cews generated heat.
The Nova CEWS actually generates 2 points of heat, so to be heat neutral it needs to be stationary.
IO page66 "The Nova CEWS generates +2 heat while active."

MCharke

• Corporal
« Reply #110 on: 29 January 2021, 21:10:08 »
Ah, that's it then.
Mark Charke

MCharke

• Corporal
« Reply #111 on: 29 January 2021, 22:08:16 »
How did you get such big-name artists to help out with your Fan Tro? I mean the art is just amazing. I love the Core Ship. That's nuts.
Mark Charke

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #112 on: 30 January 2021, 09:17:07 »
How did you get such big-name artists to help out with your Fan Tro? I mean the art is just amazing. I love the Core Ship. That's nuts.
Well for new art you got to commission it (thus pay for it) and with existing art either get permission or include an appropriate disclaimer.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #113 on: 30 January 2021, 18:01:51 »
Wait...CEWS generates heat??  I have record sheets that don't say that...weird.

MCharke

• Corporal
« Reply #114 on: 30 January 2021, 21:49:21 »
I checked Sarna and it does say that it produces 2 heat. Perhaps in older editions of the rules or during it's first appearance it didn't.
It seems like a little thing, to generate just 2 heat but if you add Stealth system, XXL engine and Nova Cews, you start ending up with a significant heat burden.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Nova_Combined_Electronic_Warfare_System
Mark Charke

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
« Reply #115 on: 02 February 2021, 06:57:34 »
Remember the NOVA CEWS is an adaptive C3 Computer, Active Probe and ECM all wrapped into one for the cost of 1.5 tons, 1 crt and 2 heat.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2021, 07:01:58 by Kasaga »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #116 on: 07 February 2021, 10:15:56 »

Quick question, what do you guys think of the attached cover?

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
« Reply #117 on: 07 February 2021, 10:31:50 »
[EDIT] Delted due to stupidity.   I was thinking that was for the TRO which is out.  That is nice for a Field Manuel and can't wait to read it.[/EDIT]

namar13766

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #118 on: 07 February 2021, 11:41:51 »
It makes me think that some WOB remnants in the IS found their way into the Society.

I feel darkly amused by the implications

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #119 on: 07 February 2021, 14:31:49 »
That's damn snazzy, Maingunnery!  Looking forward to it!!

Register