Author Topic: A non-fiction note related to the fiction here  (Read 21413 times)

HFC05

• Sergeant
A non-fiction note related to the fiction here
« on: 20 December 2022, 04:51:55 »
Apparently there is a publisher called Plush Books that is stealing and selling fan fiction on Amazon. This included my work, and may include yours.

The thievery is blatantly obvious as they don't even change the title. They will add a sub title, and steal some cover art from somewhere else.

Here is a twitter thread on this topic, and steps to get to get Amazon to remove your works.
https://twitter.com/KokomRoily/status/1603843494904270848

It sounds like this person or group mainly targeted long form stories, so if you have an Atlas or Dire Wolf size opus like mine, I strongly suggest you check.

The only positive note is that when they create the cover they claim it is a "#1 best seller." So if you find your work on Amazon you can claim that you were, "a number one best seller on Amazon according to a thieving pirate publisher." That is certain to make you more interesting at parties, or command additional respect when you invoke a Batchall.
« Last Edit: 21 December 2022, 04:17:53 by HFC05 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: A non-fiction note related to the fiction here
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2022, 05:07:42 »
Of the five "Mech Warfare" books in their list, three are listed as "not currently available".  Two of those used art from actual CGL book covers I recognize.

The two that are still up (A Light in the Shadow and Where the Wind Takes You) also appear to use official CGL art, but I don't recognize the sources.

I would hope this kind of stuff also gets reported to the legal departments of the ultimate owners of the IP.  This is the kind of thing legal departments are FOR.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2022, 05:24:44 »
Huh, weird, all I found were a bunch of low-dollar cookbooks.  Maybe it's a regional block?
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 20 December 2022, 05:26:55 »
I had to scroll a LOT to find the five "Mech Warfare" books.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2022, 05:31:09 »
I had to scroll a LOT to find the five "Mech Warfare" books.

well, I'm pretty sure MINE aren't in that (Despite my output here, the fact is, I doubt very much my kind of work would be appealing to hijack like that.)
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2022, 05:44:44 »
Not by this particular pirate, at any rate... Drakensis reported some of his stuff was swiped by a different one.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 20 December 2022, 07:02:56 »
No this was the one. I believe it's been taken down.

They seem to have had a large cookbook selection and then for some reason added several dozen dressed up fanfictions for Battletech, Tomb Raider and a few other properties.

I didn't see any of Cannonshop's, but there were fourteen "Mech Warefare" books (and that's exactly how they spelt it)
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #7 on: 20 December 2022, 07:26:28 »
...but there were fourteen "Mech Warefare" books (and that's exactly how they spelt it)

Now I'm imagining a Kingfisher carrying a spatula out to a circle of equals...

"Go on, Star Commander.  Show us that you can make a 3-egg omelette with two eggs as was bid," said the opposing Star Captain in the Hellbringer.

"I will beat you, Bobby Flay!" challenged the Star Commander as the Kingfisher's other hand twirled a giant egg beater.  Noise of excitement came from the surrounding circle.

Anyway, I don't actively look for BattleTech fiction on Amazon.  So if I do come across any, how can I tell if it's legit?  If it's not legit, what's the reporting process?
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 20 December 2022, 07:33:24 »
If there were 14 and I only saw five, I think that's progress? ???

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 20 December 2022, 15:05:48 »
On amazon.de I only saw two books just now: "A Light In The Shadow: Mysterious New Invaders Arrive (Mech Warefare)" for 19.51€ and the unavailable "The Path Before Us: Negotiation Tactics (Mech Warefare)" both by "Plush Books".  :P

Going down the rabbit hole "Plush books" I got 21 pages of results - mostly publications of cooking/baking recipes.  xp

Hmmm.

Any links to the original tales or are these tales victims of past forum crashes? I like long battletech tales ....  ;D

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 20 December 2022, 16:55:50 »
"A Light in the Shadow" seems to be describing "A Candle in the Dark" which crossed Battletech with a homebrew setting known as "Fenspace".

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/candle-in-the-dark-relit-battletech-isot-madness.287281/

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #11 on: 21 December 2022, 01:06:46 »
I wonder if I'll see any of my stories from my time on ALFA on any of these nefarious sites? ...Although I am not shocked to hear this being a thing...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 21 December 2022, 02:46:28 »
Any links to the original tales or are these tales victims of past forum crashes? I like long battletech tales ....  ;D
Riding the Dragon should currently be on the front page, as I put a notice of the plagarism on the thread.

Plush Books had marketed it as Dragon's Breath: Empires at War. Which has fortunately been taken down.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #13 on: 21 December 2022, 03:09:59 »
  Thread pinned as a public service announcement.  I’ve also pinged Mal-3 over on Spacebattles, bringing “A Light in the Shadow” to his attention.

For my parts, words cannot express the degree of INCOHERENT RAGE I am currently experiencing.  :ticked:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 21 December 2022, 03:28:37 »
And for that (pinning as a PSA) we thank you!  :thumbsup:

HFC05

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 21 December 2022, 04:21:49 »
Thank you Trace. I suppose having people steal and scam is the nature of the internet, but I agree it is infuriating when they are so blatant about it.

I'm surprised Amazon doesn't run a plagiarism scan (similar to what colleges use) against fan fiction sites to prevent this sort of thing. 

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 21 December 2022, 05:13:06 »
Riding the Dragon should currently be on the front page, as I put a notice of the plagarism on the thread.

Plush Books had marketed it as Dragon's Breath: Empires at War. Which has fortunately been taken down.

Ah, ok: Thank you.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 21 December 2022, 05:15:49 »
  Thread pinned as a public service announcement.  I’ve also pinged Mal-3 over on Spacebattles, bringing “A Light in the Shadow” to his attention.

For my parts, words cannot express the degree of INCOHERENT RAGE I am currently experiencing.  :ticked:

Thank you.

(Unasked advice on how to deal with your incoherent rage: restart the "Virginia War" tales and go and KICK those space-mussolinis HARD ::) )

Mal-3

• Corporal
    • Fenspace
« Reply #18 on: 21 December 2022, 11:39:31 »
I WILL SHIT ON SOMEBODY'S HEAD FOR THIS.

*ahem*

What I mean to say is: thanks Trace for giving me the heads up, measures are being Taken as we speak. Hopefully I've worded the letter correctly and Bezos' goon squad will handle it eventually.
Mal-3, semi-professional Fun Tyrant
Join Fenspace, see the galaxy, mutate & take over the world.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 22 December 2022, 13:24:01 »

your rage seems pretty coherent from here.  and Justified.

Part of me was a little disappointed my stuff wasn't deemed worthy of theft, but that part is outweighed by the relief of knowing nobody (so far) is stealing from my friends (Well, maybe friends is too strong a word-"People I've met Personally and think relatively well of") using what I banged out here to get the noise out of my head.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #20 on: 22 December 2022, 13:41:19 »
I do suspect that the anti-bot measures of these forums probably do actually make it just enough effort that they don't bother.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #21 on: 22 December 2022, 14:27:19 »
I do suspect that the anti-bot measures of these forums probably do actually make it just enough effort that they don't bother.

what stops a bot from doing a program that simply Right-Clicks, copies the PAGE, goes to the next page, repeat? I suppose that the scammer still have to go through the mess to remove links and such...?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: 23 December 2022, 14:47:28 »

Yes, that was my Saturday morning. Less the 'they're stealing my story' and more 'someone is going to be sued and it could be me'.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 23 December 2022, 15:33:37 »
Yes, that was my Saturday morning. Less the 'they're stealing my story' and more 'someone is going to be sued and it could be me'.

i would think that amazon would be held liable for this.  they should have vetted the company before putting a dozen works up for sale.  and they get a cut of each sale. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 23 December 2022, 16:04:15 »
True, but they have a heck of a legal department to get them out of that kind of liability.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 23 December 2022, 16:31:33 »
Yikes!  Has anyone reached out to DoubleG yet?  He posts here too...  :-\

HFC05

• Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 23 December 2022, 19:11:49 »
your rage seems pretty coherent from here.  and Justified.

Part of me was a little disappointed my stuff wasn't deemed worthy of theft, but that part is outweighed by the relief of knowing nobody (so far) is stealing from my friends (Well, maybe friends is too strong a word-"People I've met Personally and think relatively well of") using what I banged out here to get the noise out of my head.

I wouldn't be too disappointed, it looks like this was a bot that hit Fan Fiction.net and Archive of Our Own. I don't necessarily think they had discriminating tastes, probably just an interest in a large enough word count to "look" like a real novel.

Remember every year your peers give you a Stompy Atlas Award. Recognition of peers, and 100 ton 'mechs are two of the most powerful things in the Galaxy.

DarthBoof

• Recruit
« Reply #28 on: 24 December 2022, 01:35:08 »
Upside to the above Google doc detailing the stolen fics. Gives me new BT Fics to read ;D. from their ORIGINAL authors.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #29 on: 24 December 2022, 11:09:27 »
Holy crap, I hate that someone doing that!!!

Is there anyway stop them from doing it? This is Fan Fiction.  If anything people will stop writing if their works being stolen by such automated criminal theft.

I been archiving fan stories to preserve them.   I think format generally i've storing them are broken up by chapters usually. I'm not sure, absolute theft makes me upset.
« Last Edit: 24 December 2022, 11:13:13 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dreadpool

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #30 on: 29 December 2022, 00:12:47 »
Shouldn't that be 'Tranquil Fury'?
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TranquilFury

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #31 on: 31 December 2022, 11:28:28 »
well, I'm pretty sure MINE aren't in that (Despite my output here, the fact is, I doubt very much my kind of work would be appealing to hijack like that.)
I think it's because you mainly write more naval space warfare stuff. Perhaps you're looking in the wrong place? Either case that makes me mad that people do that. I try to get permission to put anything up on the wiki.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki