Author Topic: Regarding the Helm Star League Facility and it's 'destruction'  (Read 1312 times)

Marauder727

• Recruit
I'm hoping I can get a clarification as to the exact details regarding the 'destruction' of the Helm Star League Facility where the Gray Death Legion discovered the Helm Memory Core.

Specifically...in re-reading "The Price of Glory" (the 3rd in the original Gray Death Legion series), I find that the description of how the facility was lost seems to describe more that the facility was flooded by the returning waters which had been originally diverted in order to give access to the entrance of the facility.  In addition, mention is made of an earthquake which causes the facility to collapse, at least the area around where the Star League Memory Core was originally located, as detailed by the death of the ComStar agent and his cohorts.

Mention has been made on locations such as Sarna.net that the facility was completely destroyed by the fusion reactor which powered the facility.  However, I'm having trouble finding the exact description which shows this.  The facility was described as being immense, with a mag-lev system capable of assisting in moving Battlemechs throughout the facility, as well as huge storage vaults where, if memory serves, a large number (perhaps numbering into several regiments worth?) of Battlemechs, vehicles, salvage equipment and the like were stored in protective shells or sheeting to guard against rust, corrosion or whatever else the original commander of the facility (Major Edward Kent, I believe?) thought may cause damage to the equipment.  A fusion explosion of that magnitude would decimate the mountains in which the facility was built, and would be of such an explosive nature that it could not have been missed from the outside.  However, I do not recall reading any mention of such an explosion being seen.

I am asking this because, quite frankly, I don't not believe that the description given in the books serves as adequate information to lead me to believe that the entire facility was destroyed thus...some of it could remain, with the Star League era equipment still accessible.  As I recall, Grayson Carlyle made an agreement with the Red Duke to allow him to take a portion of the equipment stored in the facility, as reimbursement for assisting him.  I know Grayson and the Legion were unable to take much, and the Red Duke certainly did not have enough time to take the rest of the facility's treasure trove...so some of it may yet still sit...untouched and able to be found, given the right equipment to salvage it, yes?

Thoughts?

Marauder727

• Recruit
Hmmm...no response yet.  Either I've stumped the writers...or they're trying to find their copies of "Price of Glory" and muttering, 'Why the heck does this nutcase have to ask a question about a novel that was from years ago about a mercenary unit that we destro--- err, ah, that ah, died gloriously in battle, yeah, that's it.'

;)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Or we might be busy. Please don't bump threads more frequently than one week.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Register