Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157602 times)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #1080 on: 20 June 2019, 03:39:19 »
Elsewhere, someone mentioned they're re-releasing end game in some theaters with EXTRA material in..  I wonder if that's true, how much LONGER that film will be..

It is not an extended edition from what I’ve read on several sites. There will be a deleted scene, a tribute and some other material shown after the credits when this is put in theaters next weekend (starting the 28th).

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1081 on: 20 June 2019, 09:40:01 »
The stuff we'd normally just wait to come out on video for and then not watch once we actually had a copy.  I liked End Game, but I'm not sitting through it in the theaters twice.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1082 on: 20 June 2019, 17:16:24 »
I finally got around to watching John Wick 1 & 2.
I really enjoyed the first one, and the first half of the second, but the world-building in the later parts of Chapter 2 didn't work for me.

The best bit of the lot was the "Dog Wick" special  >:D
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #1083 on: 21 June 2019, 11:02:40 »
...the world-building in 2 didn't work for me.

Completely agree. Which, is why I haven't gone out of my way to go view Parabellum.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1084 on: 21 June 2019, 11:09:40 »
Completely agree. Which, is why I haven't gone out of my way to go view Parabellum.

I loved the first, found the second ok, but not as good. And I loved the third one, especially for the dogs. That bit was worth the price of entry alone.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #1085 on: 21 June 2019, 15:31:27 »
The fight with Cecep Arif Rahman and Yayan Ruhian was worth the price of admission for me.   And considering Yayan will always be "Mad Dog" to me, it all works...

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #1086 on: 22 June 2019, 01:29:46 »
Continuing my Goose Fest, I watched Drive (by Director Nicolas Winding Refn) the other night.

I’d watched Refn’s “Valhalla Rising” (the world's only 9-hour viking movie with no dialog) and was expecting something slow-moving and arty, but this movie still managed to surprise me.

Like a piece of orchestral music, it’s got these quiet, idyllic parts that suddenly explode into action—the nameless Driver (Ryan Gosling) sits idly on a motel bed, before a window shatters in a slow-mo shotgun blast, and then we leap into furious violence—later the Driver and his neighbor Irene (Carey Mulligan) share a lingering, golden-lit kiss in an elevator, before the Driver turns around and stomps the head of another man into the ground, killing him.

Gosling is a bit one-note in this movie, essentially playing a preview of his character from Blade Runner 2049: monosyllabic, vulnerable yet tough superman. The bit part characters are more interesting: Breaking Bad's Bryan Cranston as a shady garage owner, Ron Perlman as a brutal gangster, Oscar Isaac as an ex-con.

Side note: I was a little frustrated with the sound mix— the music on the soundtrack is blaringly loud, but the conversations mumbled and muted. Spent a lot of time fiddling the volume up and down.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1087 on: 22 June 2019, 17:50:01 »
Had not seen Ant Man and the Wasp. Caught it last night on Netflix. Not bad at all.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #1088 on: 24 June 2019, 11:48:05 »
I wanted to like or even love Drive, but Ryan Gosling's soulless, dead cow-eyed performance ruined it for me.  The other characters almost saved it for me, and Brook's work as Bernie was fantastic.  (Ron Perlman was somewhat wasted in a roll who should have been named "Ron Perman Character."  Which is a waste as he is able to do so much more.  Just watched him in 1986's cinema version of The Name of the Rose.

I love neo-noir, and low-level crime drama, but I just can't stand Gosling's performance.  In anything, really.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #1089 on: 24 June 2019, 12:29:07 »
Huh... I didn't get that at all. Loved Drive, myself. And Blade Runner 2049 is one of my favorites.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1090 on: 24 June 2019, 13:11:44 »
In addition to BR, he sells Gangster Squad for me more than anything else in that movie

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1091 on: 24 June 2019, 13:23:09 »
Never really been much of a gosling fan, but did like him (with russel Crowe) in that film, the nice guys..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #1092 on: 25 June 2019, 19:08:54 »
Never really been much of a gosling fan, but did like him (with russel Crowe) in that film, the nice guys..

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=54582.msg1513662#msg1513662

Let's see if we can get an infinite repeating loop of posts ...
Or someone sell me on Gangster Squad.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1093 on: 30 June 2019, 01:57:40 »
Watched Eraser earlier.  Pretty standard fare for Arnold.  Not a bad movie though.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1094 on: 30 June 2019, 08:20:55 »
MiB:International.  Enjoyed it, fun romp, tad predictable and felt like at times I was watching a humorous James Bond film.  But in a good way

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1095 on: 30 June 2019, 11:24:49 »
The Aquaman DVD finally made it to the top of my netfilix list.
2.5/5
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1096 on: 30 June 2019, 14:14:15 »
Aquaman wasn't bad at all. I rate it on a level with Black Panther. Better than the first couple Thors, and both Ant-mans.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1097 on: 11 July 2019, 19:06:37 »
Well, I've been stuck at home for the last few days because my car broke down, so I was scanning Netflix and discovered that Megamind was now on it.

It was... okay.  Got stuck with the same overindulgence of 80s music that far too many other movies are doing and I thought it really went overboard on the "look at how much of a Silver Age supervillain I am" stuff in an attempt to force the humor instead of letting it flow more naturally.  I'm fine watching it on a streaming service, but it's definitely not something I'd have wanted to watch in the theater.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1098 on: 12 July 2019, 01:12:12 »
So, watched a few from the library today.
Started off with Captive state..  Weird film, good story, but things were off, especially near the end.  Was hard to see if Goodman's character was a goodie or a baddie..

Then came Hotel mumbai.  LOVED IT.

And lastly, the gerrad butler film, vanished, about 3 folks on a lighthouse duty..  Strange but intriguing..

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #1099 on: 12 July 2019, 13:39:55 »
Shazam!  Cute, but seemed to take to many beats out of Spiderman: Homecoming including the entirety of the end credits.  But it was fun, which was odd to see in a DC movie.

snewsom2997

• Captain
« Reply #1100 on: 12 July 2019, 13:44:26 »
Just watched Freejack on Google Movies. Gotta love Mick Jaeger as a mercenary, and Anthony Hopkins as a bad guy.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1101 on: 13 July 2019, 01:37:11 »
Wow. that's a blast from the past film.  May need to see if its at the local library..

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1102 on: 13 July 2019, 18:51:36 »
Took my kids to see Spiderman: Far From Home today.
I found the first act was just as painfully cringe-worthy as I find anything with highschool-aged protagonists, but it improved a lot once the second act started. The post-credit scenes tell me that I'm missing out on some things, probably because I'm not up to date on all the other MCU films. My favourite bits would be finding out what EDITH stood for, and "I love Led Zeppelin" as AC/DC starts to play.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #1103 on: 16 July 2019, 12:45:55 »
Hellboy, 2019 version.  David Harbour is solid as Hellboy, a rougher, "younger" feel that Ron Perlman's take, but he does a lot with what he has.  Alice Monaghan is in this one rather than Liz, which is nice if you like the canon (and I do), though here she is a played by an African-American actress as a Londoner rather than Irish, but Sasha Lane does a good job as well.  And Emma Tate and Troy James (voice and physical actors, in order) do an amazing job with Baba Yaga.

Other than that?  They try to use way to many pieces of Hellboy comics for the storyline - like all of them, so it is disjointed.  There are too many bad guys to list, and only Baba Yaga comes off frightening.  Milla Jovovich, who plays Nimue, the main Big Bad of the stories for the most part, has almost nothing to work with.  In The Golden Army, Nuada, the baddie, was shown to be a noble, doomed hero, trying to save his people from slowly dying due to humans constantly breaking the treaty his father insists on holding.  He is an extremist, and a villian, but you know why and that makes all the difference.  Nimue, The Blood Queen, queen of the faerie, just wants to kill the humans so the "monsters" can have their own Eden.  She has a plague, that sort of shows up and then flutters out.  She is raising an army...that never shows up. She has a plan, maybe, and Hellboy is part of it, but it is never really explained.  There is a prophecy, or a seeing, and/or some destiny... none of which is really explained or has much reason except for people to try to seduce or murder Hellboy at random.   It is totally scatter shot.

It embraces the "R" rating with random f-bombs and bad, CGI blood.  A lot of bad, CGI blood, especially in the last act where the movie seems to remember it is rated "R" so it kills some a bunch of random, CGI people in bloody ways for no real payoff other than being gory-ish.  And the GGI at other points is terrible, with the fight against a trio of giants as the most obvious.  One of the things that made Baba Yaga so good was that she was a practical effect, using great make up and a truly gifted physical performer contorting his body in an inhuman manner, but is shows up the rest of the effects.

So tl;dr: Harbour is good, Baba Yaga is fantastic, rest of film is bad.  And as they bombed big time, there probably won't be a chance to make another with a good villain as shown in the stinger.  Well, the last stinger.  This had more stingers than an MCU film.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2019, 12:47:57 by Banzai »

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1104 on: 16 July 2019, 13:34:24 »
So deadpool wrote hellboy... 8)

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #1105 on: 24 July 2019, 16:23:10 »
Versus, a 2000 Japanese sort of zombie flick.  If a Yakuza boss wants to meet you in a place called "the Forest of Resurrection", do not escape from prison to do so.  That is what I learned.  It is bloody, violent, and has a goofy self-awareness, but what story is there doesn't make a damn bit of sense.  On the other hand, it has smart zombies who arm themselves with firearms, so that is fun. 

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #1106 on: 24 July 2019, 16:34:20 »
Finally got around to watching Aquaman. I thought it was pretty good. Not without flaws, but sits alongside Wonderwoman as the only good DC movies since the Dark Knight in my book.

(I'll add that I've never read a DC (or Marvel) comic in my life)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1107 on: 24 July 2019, 17:40:59 »
Finally went and saw Spider-Man: Far From Home

It was okay.  Ned does nothing but take up space.  If they edited his character out of the film it wouldn't have added anything.  Pacing had issues as the film simultaneously swung between being a teen flick and being a more serious superhero film.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1108 on: 25 July 2019, 10:29:51 »
Blade Runner 2049

I'm still looking for what ever it is in this series that speaks to people. 
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1109 on: 25 July 2019, 11:51:35 »
Meet the Spartans and Blazing Saddles back to back.  Its interesting to see the disparity between the two forms of comedy.