Author Topic: After Market Workshop- Old merc mechs in 3055  (Read 7774 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
After Market Workshop- Old merc mechs in 3055
« on: 13 March 2020, 10:18:56 »
When the Clans invaded originally more of the advanced Star League tech was not available though more recent materials has it sprinkled in being discovered after 4SW and more prototypes available during the War of 3039.  But the majority of that improved technology was reserved for House regiments which left the unlucky mercs soldiering on with still adequate weapons but distinctly behind the tech curve.  After the Clan Invasion, mercs & non-House troops started getting their hands on Star League spec weapons and even some of the improved designs.  The mercs getting that however would be the most prestigious (ELH) or best connected (Kell Hounds) though often as part of their contractual agreements in turning over Clan tech.  But the upgrade kits and recovered weapons start becoming more available at least by 3055 (since mentioned in FM Mercs) so the average merc commands, successful but not outrageously lucky, might be able to start getting their hands on some of those systems.

You run a independent mech repair & customization shop on Galatea and finally see enough of the new weapons in the pipeline to add to the services your shop will offer- help those middle of the road mercs get some upgrades!  Sure you can put on one of those League produced upgrade kits with their engineer drawings and step by step instructions but you want to market to the commanders & techs of units that might not be able to afford such drastic rebuilds.  A single advanced weapon system mounted on a mech to increase its lethality on the most common chassis so your shop can have a standard plan to work off for economy of scale.

So taking what are the most common mechs- the following 3025 designs- what single weapon would you replace with a more advanced system and what would be the selling point?  Assume conversion to DHS as appropriate and it can either be simple with the design underweight or just mention juggling slots.  Please no design sheets, but link to the appropriate sub-forum if you wish.

Two personal examples would be the Warhammer, particularly the -6D or -6L . . . because its energy load, it gets the straight DHS conversion, and with Warhammers its all about the PPCs so of course they get ERPPCs instead.  The design would still have the armor problems of the -6 series, but now the AM Workshop offers a much needed range upgrade to the Warhammer 6 series for poorer mercs.  A second example would be the old faithful Centurion 9, replace its AC/10 with a LB-10X and use the weight difference for another ton of ammo- but no DHS, its pretty heat balanced.  The trooper medium is not any faster like the upgrade design but its main gun now has a bit more reach and can pelt mechs or armor.  No DHS only please, looking for just the single weapon system emphasis.

About the only exception I would say is the Hunchback -4G being given a Gauss Rifle, we get fluff later on that says they tried but kept having problems with the design IIRC.

Weapons available by 3055-
Gauss Rifle
ER PPC
ER LL
LB-10X
UAC/5
SSRM2
Large PL
Med PL
Small PL
NARC Launchers
Blazer Cannon (for those who go nuts over them . . . )

Common mechs of course go back to the original box and a few more in 3025
Light
Wasp, Stinger, Locust, Javelin, Spider, Firestarter

Medium
Griffin, Wolverine, Shadow Hawk, Hunchback, Dervish, Enforcer, Centurion, Vindicator, Phoenix Hawk, Cicada

Heavy
Thunderbolt, Rifleman, Warhammer, Archer, Orion, Jagermech, Catapult, Crusader

Assault
Battlemaster, Victor, Stalker, Zeus

So what do YOU think would make a good first couple single weapon upgrade offerings for the After Market Workshop?

Edited to add mechs I feel silly forgetting.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2020, 13:35:49 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Syzyx

• Warrant Officer
Re: After Market Workshop- Old merc mechs in 3055
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2020, 10:36:30 »
For our good friend the STG-3R Stinger, I have to say pull those machine guns and replace them with SPLs. The mech's role remains identical but it now has a tiny bit more punch, equal power against PBI, and no ammo bomb.
But as a matter of fact I was quite busy getting potty-trained at the time and had no time for interstellar politics.- ykonoclast

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2020, 15:30:59 »
I'd give anything with an AC/10 an LBx10 and use the free ton to add either more ammo or CASE and armour
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2020, 17:05:26 »
*snip*
Blazer Cannon (for those who go nuts over them . . . )
*snip*
Just to be clear, the Blazer only really hits its stride in the narrow window after DHS and before the HPPC.  Don't get me wrong... it's still a WONDERFUL 3025 weapon...  8)

And really, this thread should be down in the design forum.  People are going to want to post their ideas in the most convenient form, and that's going to include stats...

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2020, 18:07:23 »
i suspect that the "quick update" for the MAD-3R marauder wound up similar to the Royal MAD-2R.. DHS and ERPPC's are a major upgrade that really boosts the mech's firepower since you have better accuracy at the old normal engagement ranges (thanks to the longer range overall) and no longer have to do fire patterns to handle overheating. in fact you can basically fire both ERPPC's, fire the AC5, and run for only 1 heat.. ridiculously cool running compared to what they'd used before.

mind you without the FerroFib and CASE of the actual -2R it would still have some survibility issues thansk to the ammobomb. but for those that can get a depot level refit and have access to all four techs (CASE, Ferro, DHS, and ERPPC's) i could totaly see them unknowingly reinventing the MAD-2R.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2020, 18:18:44 »
Trying to stick to general terms here, the Thunderbolt seems to be made for this challenge.  Tack in an ERLL and DHS and go to town.

Stormy

• Master Sergeant
  • Old is the New New
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2020, 19:53:28 »
Part of me wants to match the art and stick a Blazer on a Battlemaster, top up with DHS and SPLs for the MGs.

Also, UAC/5 and an ERLL on the Enforcer.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2020, 19:56:36 »
Almost everyting is better with DHS. But it is apparently a hard upgrade, and the Combine had a chronic shortage of them for the longest time - the Owens and Strider of their 1st gen omnimechs lacked them.

I'm not sure second string mercs would get DHS or the ability to upgrade to them until nearly the 3060s. Which means they'd have to compensate with either skill or better low-heat upgrades than the 3050 lemons.

I did a marauder with a PPC in the torso and 2 UAC/5 in the arms rocking SHS. It isn't great, but it has a bit more throw weight than the -3R
« Last Edit: 13 March 2020, 19:59:09 by Greatclub »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2020, 20:22:11 »
I'd do an early Venom mod on the Spider.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2020, 20:52:02 »
I'd do an early Venom mod on the Spider.
starting with the succession wars model, how would you do that?

Almost everyting is better with DHS. But it is apparently a hard upgrade, and the Combine had a chronic shortage of them for the longest time - the Owens and Strider of their 1st gen omnimechs lacked them.
probably because they funneled most fo them into their navy to create the most massively oversinked fighter ever, the Shilone SL-17R
« Last Edit: 13 March 2020, 20:54:53 by glitterboy2098 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2020, 20:52:50 »
One MPL and DHS?  ???

Speedbump

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 14 March 2020, 11:04:37 »
I've always liked a halfway house between the SHD-2H and the SHD-2Hb as a refit. Pull the AC/5, LRM5 and 2 heatsinks for an LBX-AC/10 and two tons of ammo with a spare ton for an second ML, 2 extra jump jets or just CASE and a smidge more armour.

DHS(for the first two options) or Ferro-Fibrous armour are optional extras that you can add later if you so choose.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #12 on: 14 March 2020, 11:13:38 »
One MPL and DHS?  ???

it's a minor improvement, yeah. slapping on FF gives you another six whole points of armor. without adding an XL there's not a ton you can do.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 14 March 2020, 11:31:52 »
I'd say go with ERLL it's a one for one upgrade to the LL.  Sure it's a little warm but Mechs like the Enforcer, Wolverine, and Thunderbolt will be fine

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 14 March 2020, 12:22:13 »
I'd say go with ERLL it's a one for one upgrade to the LL.  Sure it's a little warm but Mechs like the Enforcer, Wolverine, and Thunderbolt will be fine

PPC -> ER large and two heat sinks works pretty well for a lot of upgrades. Lose the minimum range, gain +1 range in short and another +1 in medium, heat burden is unchanged. Losing two damage is ouch, but hopefully the extra hits make up for it.

Link to something I made a while back, the Panther -2ALAG

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcxyyk0tjc7p4ra/ALAG%20Panther.pdf?dl=0

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 14 March 2020, 12:38:03 »
As the entry price for DHS, ERLLs aren't a bad choice.  Another way to go would be Thumper Artillery Cannons (though Colt didn't list them for some reason).  If a 'mech has extra HS, dropping a TAC and DHS in for an AC/5 works like a champ.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #16 on: 14 March 2020, 13:30:49 »
Dropping a heatsink to swap out an AC20 for a Gauss Rifle is an obvious upgrade but practically everything in 3050 but the Hunchback already did that.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 14 March 2020, 13:36:38 »
Dropping a heatsink to swap out an AC20 for a Gauss Rifle is an obvious upgrade but practically everything in 3050 but the Hunchback already did that.
"Upgrade" only for general use. For urban combat, like the Hunchback is aimed at, the AC/20 is arguably a superior weapon (before LB-20X and Ultra-20).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 14 March 2020, 13:38:50 »
It is arguable, though.  There are plenty of sight lines in city fighting longer than 3 hexes...

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 14 March 2020, 13:41:32 »
20 points also has the advantage of being able to cause PSR alone, unlike the Gauss rifle. Not to mention just being 33% more damage.
Me, i like that the Hunchie managed to keep its signature. The Gauss rifle became just a bit too much of "the weapon".

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 14 March 2020, 14:36:48 »
It's a true shame the Gauss Rifle was introduced into the rules before the Blazer Cannon...

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 14 March 2020, 16:51:23 »
It's a true shame the Gauss Rifle was introduced into the rules before the Blazer Cannon...

Even if it had been introduced before, it would be superseded by the more effective and efficient gun later.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 14 March 2020, 17:06:39 »
Yes, but it would have at least had a chance to shine first.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 14 March 2020, 17:22:40 »
Even with the Gauss Rifle, the Blazer could have found a role- stick it on something that moves 8/12 and use it as a backstabber, for example.  But there aren't any simple refits that could accomplish that- you're looking at an XL engine, DHS, probably Endosteel and FF.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 14 March 2020, 17:28:09 »
Even with the Gauss Rifle, the Blazer could have found a role- stick it on something that moves 8/12 and use it as a backstabber, for example.  But there aren't any simple refits that could accomplish that- you're looking at an XL engine, DHS, probably Endosteel and FF.

If you're freeing up that kind of tonnage, you might as well go straight to the VSPL.

Maybe a Cicada. The UAC/5 version almost has the tonnage as is.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 14 March 2020, 17:31:18 »
Hunckback 5M, drop the extra heat sinks for more ammo.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #26 on: 14 March 2020, 17:34:20 »
If you're freeing up that kind of tonnage, you might as well go straight to the VSPL.

VSPL isn't one of the weapons on the list- it's not available until the Jihad era and we're talking about stuff around 3055.

Speedbump

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 14 March 2020, 17:35:28 »
Using the CDA-3C as a starting point is probably the closest you'd get to it. It's 7/11 with 11 heat sinks, but you can mount the Blazer as a replacement for it's default armament. Given DHS you can up the armour to a whole five tons(Or at two SLs to the legs for flavour) but it's definitely gimmicky rather than a sensible option.

Maybe a Cicada. The UAC/5 version almost has the tonnage as is.
The UAC/5 version has an XL engine which puts it out of scope of the threads premise.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 14 March 2020, 17:37:55 »
Blazers can be dropped in for most AC/10s, and just about every AC/20 (at least on 'mechs... vehicles are a whole other ball of snakes).

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #29 on: 14 March 2020, 18:20:24 »
In regards to the Blazer, do you think they would be more available than the 'new' weapons after the Invasion?  The Pulses are re-introduced in 3037 so . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Register