Author Topic: Train scale close to bt size.  (Read 6130 times)

warhammer74

• Sergeant
  • Oh look its a bird
Train scale close to bt size.
« on: 03 December 2019, 11:00:33 »
Looking for terrain at local hobby store.   What size is closest.  Ho scale or n scale.  Possibly using people and vehicles as substitutes.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Train scale close to bt size.
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2019, 11:20:00 »
N scale is closest.

Battletech is 6mm or 1:285 scale

HO is 1:87

N is 1:160

Z scale (which may work as well for some things) is 1:220

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rail_transport_modelling_scale_standards#Scale_standards
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #2 on: 03 December 2019, 16:14:41 »
Z scale is closest if you can find it. N scale is nearly double the size but trees and scenery will work well enough. Forget about HO.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #3 on: 03 December 2019, 16:33:18 »
Z scale is closest if you can find it. N scale is nearly double the size but trees and scenery will work well enough. Forget about HO.

HO scale is the brail or large print of Train diorama's (but also the mostly used and purchased)
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2019, 17:18:48 »
Case by case basis - Z scale people are about right, but N scale (same as MW:DA figures, more or less) look ok next to 'Mechs.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2019, 17:08:05 »
Z-Scale is the closest, but really hard to find. Some places like Heroics and Rocs that do sell train miniatures.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2019, 21:45:45 »
It is all up to what you are looking for.

Z scale 1/220 would be the best for personal size buildings and vehicles.

N scale 1/160 (1/150) is good for larger industrial buildings. Place were power loaders would be used.

Who scale would be good for large industrial buildings. Places that use work Mechs and so on.

I posted some pics a while back showing the different scales at work I will post them after work.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2019, 02:38:12 by shadhawk »

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2019, 10:05:03 »
While Z scale would technically be closest, a lot of N scale buildings would work, mainly because most model RR layouts are heavily compressed, and building footprints are significantly reduced.  The height of the building is generally close to the scale as stated, but the footprint is drastically undersized: a church steeple ends up being 3x or 4x the width of the building in height, and there's only enough room inside the building to seat perhaps 20 people, rather than 200.  An apartment building is the right height, but all of the apartments are only 4' by 8' in width and length.  Unless you're talking about downtown Tokyo housing densities or higher, that's seriously undersized.

I've built a number of structures for BattleTech scenery using everything from Styrofoam and cardboard to cast plaster blocks and sheet plastic.  There seems to be a significant niche market for pre-made 1:285th scale sci-fi structures at an affordable price, but nobody seems to have found an affordable solution that's mass-producible and marketable.

warhammer74

• Sergeant
  • Oh look its a bird
« Reply #8 on: 27 February 2020, 18:20:26 »
Any one have a pic of a 10mm printed mech vs a 6mm.

Cazaril

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 02 March 2020, 07:29:46 »
I agree with most have said about N and Z scale, but HO does have its place too...

Almost all of my 17th Galedon Regulars have HO scale buildings worked into them. The thing to remember is that you have to be selective about the part of the building you use, and a little creative (like windows become doors). Typically you want be able to use the building as a whole, but cutting up HO scale is usually cheaper than either N or Z and you get a whole lot more.

Also, HO scale trees work, as well as certain types of buildings (like large tanks), although you may have to omit or swap out some of the details (like access ladders that help define scale).

Caz

R4360

• Corporal
« Reply #10 on: 05 March 2020, 14:54:50 »
There's plenty of places online selling reasonably priced stuff in 6mm if you want something closer to the right size. Matboard buildings are dead cheap, easy to build and paint up pretty nice. I get mine here:

https://gcmini.mybigcommerce.com/6mm-1-285th/
https://www.iliadagamestudio.com/6mm

Lots of other places are doing 3D printed buildings too, but they can get a bit spendy (but look really nice).