Author Topic: What Could Go Wrong  (Read 126138 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: What Could Go Wrong
« Reply #1410 on: 24 February 2023, 04:24:12 »
Homogeneous companies... how SLDF of you...  8)

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1411 on: 24 February 2023, 05:44:09 »
For home defense, you might want some towed guns/missile launchers for the defenders. A couple of radars, fixed and mobile, some extra small craft to act as heavy lifters for Rapid response for the planet.
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1412 on: 24 February 2023, 06:36:24 »
Prepared and presighted sites for artillery systems, anti-air/radars and armor, similar for any kind of armored/mechanized infantry around town and industrial sites ... you have all these engineers right there ...

Just make all other except for the engineers do not dig deeper than 2 meters as otherwise with their entrenching tools they might hit the engineers on the head  ....

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #1413 on: 24 February 2023, 12:38:25 »
Homogeneous companies... how SLDF of you...  8)

Hey, it makes for easier maintenance and supply needs across the board. While it might create a tactical issue at times, it streamlines the otherwise headache of multiple types of equipment in each company and such. Same for ammo and all that.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #1414 on: 24 February 2023, 13:41:08 »
1 May 3046
Thazi (Independent System)

Thazi Infrastructure Overview

Nadir Jump Point

Olympus Recharge Station
 700 Meter Long Maintenance Slip (Pressurized)
 Double Slip Refuel and Resupply Yard (10,000 Ton Fuel Tank)

Thazi
 Total Civilian Population - 189,570

New Ludell (Capitol)
 Civilian Population - 171,483

Industry (Primary)

Farming & Processing
 Metal Smelting (planned)
 Metal Manufacture (planned)
 Spaceport (planned)
 500 Bed Hospital (planned)

New Hope
 Civilian Population - 10,395

Industry (Primary)

Pattison Marine Yards
 Seafood Cannery
 Crab Fishing (planned)
 150 Bed Hospital (planned)

Hazelburn
 Civilian Population - 1,823

Industry (Primary)

Coffee Farming
 50 bed Hospital (planned)

Gordanville (planned)
 Civilian Population - 2,478

Industry (Primary)

Mining
 20 Bed Hospital (planned)

8 Smaller Farming Towns/Groupings
 Civilian Population - 3,391

Civilians in Transit or Waiting - 9,583

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1415 on: 24 February 2023, 14:20:24 »
You know it strikes me that they should start to build some sort of a vehicle factory, stuff for the civilian sector mainly. Eventually that could be expanded to various military vehicles like a wheeled APC or Sherpa.

Munitions factory might be a good idea too. Infantry to Mech's ammo.

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1416 on: 24 February 2023, 14:59:09 »
You know it strikes me that they should start to build some sort of a vehicle factory, stuff for the civilian sector mainly. Eventually that could be expanded to various military vehicles like a wheeled APC or Sherpa.

Munitions factory might be a good idea too. Infantry to Mech's ammo.
Both are a great idea!
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Artifex

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1417 on: 24 February 2023, 15:00:43 »
All true, but first they need to set up the metallurgy industry for that to even be viable. First steps first, and all that... 8)

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #1418 on: 24 February 2023, 16:06:35 »
All true, but first they need to set up the metallurgy industry for that to even be viable. First steps first, and all that... 8)

Ah, the Prerequisite problem

You can also have a deadlock situation, where if you can make electric motors then a lot of man-hours are saved.  The problem is you don't have the man-hours to make the electric motors.

Depending on the location you might go with horses instead of cars at first, as horses are self-replicating and need lower-level industry to maintain.

One thing I'd expect is developing a basic metallurgy industry so as much as possible could be built on-planet, and only the high-tech stuff imported.  The vehicles might be TL A chasses instead of TL D, but that is one less thing for them to import.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1419 on: 24 February 2023, 16:11:12 »
Another industry they could consider is chemicals.  Not only would it later help with the armaments industry, but it could help support the primary farming industry by providing the fertilizer and other items they depend upon, cutting down on or even eliminating the shipping costs for those items. 

Plus, once the industrial base is ready, the workforce should be able to spare a few extra workers for munitions manufacturing later.

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1420 on: 24 February 2023, 16:49:45 »
  I know that they have some engineering support, but do they have civil engineers for clean water and sewage disposal?

Especially with their industry focus on agriculture/metals, tends to need water at various points in the growing/ smelting/ process.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1421 on: 24 February 2023, 18:11:59 »
Hey, it makes for easier maintenance and supply needs across the board. While it might create a tactical issue at times, it streamlines the otherwise headache of multiple types of equipment in each company and such. Same for ammo and all that.
That's exactly why the SLDF did it that way...  8)

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1422 on: 25 February 2023, 06:00:35 »
They do not have much population base yet and what they have in the civilian sector is - with the influx from Wokha - mostly unskilled and requires training first.

With their current population base they are looking at workshop-based manufacturing -which is not bad at all qualitywise per se but it will not provide large manufacturing output volume.

vianca

• Sergeant
« Reply #1423 on: 25 February 2023, 06:01:40 »
While it's a sure thing they need more industry, might I suggest they get themselves a few K-1 dropshuttles?
It would let them handel various things, if played smartly.
Even a potential fusion of mini-dropship, Super-Heavy ASF and a Combat Dropship, to be used as a bording shuttle (heavier then a normal shuttle, so more changes it survives) or perhaps to refill ASF's on longer trips, without needing to use a full on dropship.

Yeah, I get it, I do.
More optimal designs exist, and there is a reason nobody went that way, besides the collar or hangar space needed for this.
It's sub-optimal, I get that.
But the K-1 dropshuttles was so popular, that most planets still have a few of them, cheaper then a full dropship.
It has it's uses.

I do think they should look for a few Princess class dropships, though.
Why?
Conversion to mobile hospitals.
The pool can then become a revalidation(?) pool, where you can learn to move your body, again.
This also points out the greatest lack he currently has, medical personal and equipement.
And I can see a K-1 dropshuttle being used as a potential movable mini-hospital slash ambulance.
If only a Princess could be made to carry a few of them.
I'm sure you all know about thd sftermath of that Earthquick(?) in Turkey(?) and the country next to it?
The above could be quite usefull in such a situation.
Yes, he needs a good MASH unit or rather a whole division of them.
Then ways to produce all the stuff that they would need, which they could then also sell to the FedSuns next door, as well.

If they can locate a old SLDF drop-port or so, can they give their modified/restored base, it's never existed, hangars back?
They would have to dig them out, I know, but some of the other planets might have what they need, right?
Because then they might want to think of a ring of bases, focussed in a ring, around set drop-port.
Would also give them some room to grow, as well or use one as a back-up of the other base, in terms of hangar control.
I suggest they study their data files, a bit better.

And I find myself a bit shaking my head, no effort was made to copy any Snowden it's computer system, it's data files.
Nor of any documents still on them, that are intact.
Personally, I would have kept atleast ond Snowden, for my refit station project, so I could recast damaged gear.
Probably the wrecked one, after using the intact one, to produce the needed stuff to get her up & running again.

As for the modified SLDF Snowdens, I wonder if they combine this, together or not.
It would explain a few things, a few crewed suits to give directions and handel detailed stuff, while the general grind of the job...
At most, I think they weight 53.500 tons instead of the normal 51.000 tons, if that is the direction taken.
On the other hand, it could also fill up the repair facilities, pressurised & unpressurised, if you remove the factory units, their small craft bays, for one...
You only really want the factory part of those factory stations, the Snowden would already have the other parts.
But one modification I could see done, is a proper collar docking setup, if only so they can more easily dock to another dropship, for cargo transfer reasons and that makes me think of the CargoKing & CargoMaster, their advanced fully automated, self-loading cargo carrier system.
So yeah, I really would love to hear, what the SLDF Snowden modifications are all about.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Snowden
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Small_Factory
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Medium/Large_Factory
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mining_Robot
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cargoking
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cargomaster
« Last Edit: 25 February 2023, 06:41:45 by vianca »

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #1424 on: 25 February 2023, 13:03:03 »
1 May 3046
Inner End (Federated Commonwealth)

It had not taken long for Briscoe Osbourne, SaRI lawyer, to locate several small shipping companies on the verge of collapse. The first one was on the other side of the realm, had the most assets, but also a much larger price tag than what he was authorized to spend. The second one was Inman Shipping, based not far from where he sat. Using public records, he quickly determined that within the next few months, his creditors would begin taking possession of what assets he still had, having lost two Merchants to the creditors already. Creditors had already started the legal process to reclaim his remaining Jumpships and Dropships. But the first court proceeding was not scheduled until December. This did give him some time to negotiate. The company owed a total of 3,679,500,950 C-bills in outstanding debt.

The third company did not own any Dropships but had three Merchant Jumpships in operation. It was based out of Humansville and normally provided transport of Dropships along the Federated Commonwealth border region. Over the last several years, three other Merchant Jumpships had already been repossessed by creditors. Another record search revealed that it too was doomed, and creditors had upcoming court dates in July. Its combined debt was 1,042,702,392. He leaned back in his chair slightly as he slowly began writing out and offer sheet to each owner.

To: Inman Shipping

I represent a client that wishes to purchase your company before your creditors take it away from you. As such, I am tendering you a fair offer for your company and all its current listed assets. I believe the offer below is quite fair and would allow you to retire your debts in full, keeping your credit clean while also providing you with enough funds to possibly begin again or retire comfortably. This offer expires on 1 August 3046. My client could wait until your assets are seized and auctioned off but would rather avoid the delay and hassle of that. Please see below.

1 Monolith Jumpship
 1 Star Lord Jumpship
 4 Mammoth Dropship
 11 Mule Dropship

Existing Outstanding Debt - 3,679,500,950 C-bills
 Purchase Offer - 4,000,000,000 C-Bills

To: Red Star Shipping

I represent a client that wishes to purchase your company before your creditors take it away from you. As such, I am tendering you a fair offer for your company and all its current listed assets. I believe the offer below is quite fair and would allow you to retire your debts in full, keeping your credit clean while also providing you with enough funds to possibly begin again or retire comfortably. This offer expires on 1 June 3046. My client could wait until your assets are seized and auctioned off but would rather avoid the delay and hassle of that. Please see below.

3 Merchant Jumpship

Existing Outstanding Debt - 1,042,702,392 C-bills
 Purchase Offer - 1,300,000,000 C-Bills

Once both offers had been sent, Briscoe Osbourne began his new task, which had only arrived a few days ago. This one was going to be harder to accomplish, since it would require many messages being sent to individual people and possibly interviewing them in person. He began his search of candidate companies to raid for the requested personnel. He began writing down the company names. He did not know who this Derek Paulson was, but his list of requested personnel was quite large. This would require head hunting all across known space so that no one would detect the outflow of people. Possibly even bringing people to a neutral location for the interviews.

Basantapur Fine Metals
 Sabanillas Mining Company
 Palmyra Petrochemicals
 Towne Mining, Incorporated
 Federated Industries
 Melcher Food Corporation
 Kimball's Aquaculture
 Mendham Electronics
 Acrux Agricultural Industries
 Nashan Pharmaceuticals
 Baxter Metals
 Bountiful Delicacies
 Garvis Petrochem
 Harrow-Deerfield Heavy Industrial Works
 Juniper Textiles
 Maxell Metals Incorporated
 Rastaban Agricultural
 Toloy Chemicals
 Vickers Mining
 Virtue Cartographers Unlimited
 Zettle Metals Incorporated
 Water Pure Industries
 Cerulean Waters Inc.
 McRae Quik Construct
 Curtiss Hydroponics
 DuraPaq Solutions
 Tamarind Mining Corporation
 Amalgamated Eridani Mining Corporation
 Vauxhall Minerals
 Interstellar Harvesters
 Surinami Processing
 Pomme De Terre Foods
 Metals of the Earth
 Yoshimatsu Chemicals
 Ningxia Foods
 Deep Ores Company
 Taurus Majoris Mining
 Alliance Mining and Geology
 Capellan Commonality Bank

He knew this was going to be a massive chore and he planned to bill accordingly for his time and expenses, though he also knew he did not want to kill this particular goose that just kept laying golden eggs for him. he even thought about giving up his other clients or even his practice and going to work full time for SaRI, but he would not make near as much as an employee. Better to remain a contractor. It paid so much better.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2023, 19:37:05 by 2ndAcr »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1425 on: 25 February 2023, 14:10:58 »
Heh... it might still be worth narrowing his client base even as a contractor...  ^-^

Seydlitz

• Corporal
« Reply #1426 on: 25 February 2023, 15:57:29 »
Heh... it might still be worth narrowing his client base even as a contractor...  ^-^
That, or expand into a larger law firm with several very JUNIOR partners, employed lawyers and a small army of paralegals to handle all the little fish while he focuses on SaRI full-time.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1427 on: 25 February 2023, 16:02:04 »
That's a great idea, but one he doesn't seem to have had yet...  ^-^

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #1428 on: 25 February 2023, 16:46:05 »
heck, he's about to need his own embassy!

Or a front company back in the Suns. 
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1429 on: 25 February 2023, 16:47:40 »
I think Osbourne IS his front company, even if neither one realizes it yet...  ::)

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1430 on: 25 February 2023, 17:01:35 »
I hate to be the one to ask this, but just how many Jumpships are floating around in this AU, because youre looking at the beginnings of a sizable fleet and I'm wondering if the shift in Jumpship traffic to the Periphery border of the FS/OA region is going to be noticed by those who track shipping numbers.

Think of it as seeing a few cargo ships from the Pacific suddenly started showing up in the far South Atlantic but weren't being seen in major ports any longer.  Someone is going to notice that.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #1431 on: 25 February 2023, 17:10:00 »
 So far, there is not a major shift happening. The fleet they have RIGHT now were mainly taken from pirates. IF they get to buy the nearly bankrupt companies, not sure they will shift the ships or just leave them operating where they are, but to act more like a way to shift cash around or legal foothold. Not firm yet.

Even the canon fleets were shifted upwards massively because the story required it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1432 on: 25 February 2023, 19:36:19 »
SaRI going have to change in coming times ahead.  They've been bagging a lot resources for one star system.  Possibly expanding to more, but not sure how much they can mine from the Wastes.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1433 on: 25 February 2023, 19:49:04 »
part two is up
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #1434 on: 25 February 2023, 20:29:48 »
 OOps, guess I should have announced that. LOL

Thanks georgiaboy

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #1435 on: 25 February 2023, 20:55:42 »
was down for a week (vacationing some people call it, I just felt like I walked a ton more than I do normally!) ...

I know the OA sale "threat" sounded bad, but could he have taken some to time to more or less as permission to sell to non-FS entities? Always considering "security, security, security!"

possibly in the future.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

idea weenie

• Major

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #1437 on: 05 March 2023, 18:55:18 »
I think Osbourne IS his front company, even if neither one realizes it yet...  ::)
I have pulled this in a space/cyberpunk game before using a 3nd party who used a few others all to act as my front while I gobbled up support asset.

I love this story now to get caught up on the new one

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Marathon

• Recruit
« Reply #1438 on: 07 August 2023, 07:32:25 »
Forgot that Part I would need a bump too  :smiley:

Register