Author Topic: What's in the pipeline?  (Read 266991 times)

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
Re: What's in the pipeline?
« Reply #240 on: 15 April 2017, 20:39:01 »
MW4 version Vultures would make me a very happy person.  I only have one regular one, and it never sees use because I hate how anemic it looks.

Have you seen the Vulture III?

http://ironwindmetals.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=9344

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #241 on: 15 April 2017, 20:45:56 »
I have three.  But I am also a stickler, when the stickling choice is available to me. :D
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #242 on: 15 April 2017, 21:01:58 »
I have three.  But I am also a stickler, when the stickling choice is available to me. :D

Hahahaha, fair enough :)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #243 on: 15 April 2017, 23:06:58 »
So, we're not getting an ultralight jumpy XTRO Flea? :(
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #244 on: 15 April 2017, 23:42:29 »
I can't share pictures (Because it's not my mini), but I can say officially now that the Flea being released in a few weeks is not the FLE-14 from XTRO succession wars but rather the MW4 model!

I now know what it's like to take my disappointment too personally.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #245 on: 15 April 2017, 23:59:55 »
I now know what it's like to take my disappointment too personally.

I'll be morbidly curious (since I have no intention of buying one now) what they decide to call this Flea, since it sure as well isn't the FLE-14 they've had listed on their website.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #246 on: 16 April 2017, 05:43:23 »
It'll be in good company. The FLE-15 Flea already for sale from Iron Wind Metals doesn't seem to actually be what it says it is either (it appears to be an FLE-4 except with twin chin guns).
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #247 on: 16 April 2017, 06:55:04 »
Does this mean that CGL has the license to use MWO imagery?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #248 on: 16 April 2017, 07:00:24 »
Does this mean that CGL has the license to use MWO imagery?

That's a pretty big jump in logic.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #249 on: 16 April 2017, 09:46:03 »
(Never mind.)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #250 on: 16 April 2017, 16:10:59 »
I can't share pictures (Because it's not my mini), but I can say officially now that the Flea being released in a few weeks is not the FLE-14 from XTRO succession wars but rather the MW4 model!

It is going to look great :D

Lords of Light! Hand me a fresh keyboard, and bring me my credit card! Stinger, can you talk about any other MW4 designs making crossover?  [drool]
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #251 on: 17 April 2017, 06:56:46 »
That's a pretty big jump in logic.
How so?

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #252 on: 17 April 2017, 07:18:09 »
Lords of Light! Hand me a fresh keyboard, and bring me my credit card! Stinger, can you talk about any other MW4 designs making crossover?  [drool]

Well, as mentioned above, an Uziel resculpt is coming soon using the exact CAD model as used for the game.

You can Fan Funding (soon) my Hellspawn resculpt that matches the MW4 artwork quite well.

And there is going to be a resculpt coming 4th quarter that is of a quite old mini, that badly needs a resculpt, and it is going to combine elements of the TRO art, some XTRO art, and the MW4 model of this particular mech :-D

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #253 on: 17 April 2017, 07:36:17 »
Well, as mentioned above, an Uziel resculpt is coming soon using the exact CAD model as used for the game.

You can Fan Funding (soon) my Hellspawn resculpt that matches the MW4 artwork quite well.

And there is going to be a resculpt coming 4th quarter that is of a quite old mini, that badly needs a resculpt, and it is going to combine elements of the TRO art, some XTRO art, and the MW4 model of this particular mech :-D
That sounds to me like a Cougar.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #254 on: 17 April 2017, 08:42:03 »
Cougar, Mad Cat II, Mauler, Awesome, Raven and maybe Victor are options. YMMV on whether they need resculpt. These are just the ones with MW4, XTRO and TRO pics.

What i really want is a MW4 Mad Cat Mk II. None of the existing ones, the DA sculpt, the original nor the XTRO one quite look like MW4 version of Mad Cat IV...

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #255 on: 17 April 2017, 11:21:23 »
Why does the Uziel get a resculpt. It (the old one) looked very good.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #256 on: 17 April 2017, 13:47:06 »
Why does the Uziel get a resculpt. It (the old one) looked very good.

Looks good? The cockpit is non-existent on the mini (compare it to the tac ops cover) and it is very small. Very small.

And as for which mini? My lips are sealed until Speck releases the 4th Quarter schedule :-D

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #257 on: 17 April 2017, 14:50:11 »
How so?

I've tried three times to figure out how to explain myself, and can't. I guess the key difference is that MW4 was integrated with the tabletop game decades ago, while MWO postdates FASA's collapse and has to operate in the new environment where visuals have to be different.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #258 on: 17 April 2017, 15:25:42 »
Looks good? The cockpit is non-existent on the mini (compare it to the tac ops cover) and it is very small. Very small.

And as for which mini? My lips are sealed until Speck releases the 4th Quarter schedule :-D

Maybe it´s the sake but I can see the cockpit
If you say that it´s all wrong that I can agree on.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2017, 15:27:28 by Domi1981 »

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #259 on: 17 April 2017, 15:37:07 »
Cougar, Mad Cat II, Mauler, Awesome, Raven and maybe Victor are options. YMMV on whether they need resculpt. These are just the ones with MW4, XTRO and TRO pics.

What i really want is a MW4 Mad Cat Mk II. None of the existing ones, the DA sculpt, the original nor the XTRO one quite look like MW4 version of Mad Cat IV...

Nah. If the qualification is having art in all those sources, it's been months since anybody resculpted the Atlas. It's due!    :D

Though, admittedly, a Mad Cat Mk II or Mauler resculpt could be OK too...

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #260 on: 17 April 2017, 17:20:34 »
Maybe it´s the sake but I can see the cockpit

Then we clearly agree, because that's not the cockpit.  Here are some where you can actually see it.  Sort of.

Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #261 on: 17 April 2017, 17:52:38 »
If memory serves, the Uziel and resculpt Banshee (plus a couple of others) were the final releases from Ral Partha at the time FASA folded. (RP was owned by FASA.) By the look of them, they were released in a hurry.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #262 on: 17 April 2017, 19:30:45 »
I've tried three times to figure out how to explain myself, and can't. I guess the key difference is that MW4 was integrated with the tabletop game decades ago, while MWO postdates FASA's collapse and has to operate in the new environment where visuals have to be different.
I understand.  I don't play video games, so the distinction between MW4 AND MWO wasn't apparent to me. I am puzzled at how CGL is using art from MWO's Stalker and Victor.  I hope they don't end up Unseen.
« Last Edit: 17 April 2017, 19:32:38 by jimdigris »

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #263 on: 17 April 2017, 19:48:00 »
I am puzzled at how CGL is using art from MWO's Stalker and Victor.  I hope they don't end up Unseen.

I think that those are examples of coincidental similarity rather than direct copying.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #264 on: 17 April 2017, 22:40:28 »
I think that those are examples of coincidental similarity rather than direct copying.

If the Victor you're thinking about is the Lu Wei Bing, it's different art by (I believe) the same artist, but not actually MWO art. whether the two are different enough to be considered distinct ts a question for lawyers.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #265 on: 18 April 2017, 04:52:07 »
It really disturbs me to think about that two companies who thrive on the same universe could end up damaging each other over some artwork instead of supporting each other. I mean, it´s not as if a IWM Wei Lu Bing would prevent me from buying anything in MWO. I just don´t play it because it bores me but not because I say "oh the minis are so much nicer looking, so I go for classic BTech". Or what am i missing here?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #266 on: 18 April 2017, 07:05:16 »
The legacy of FASA, that's what you're missing. CGL can only licence the boardgame IP (and some related aspects) from Topps, PGI can only licence the computer version of the IP (and some related aspects) from Topps, but neither can use each other's original work without going through Topps, which is a megacorp, and which charges accordingly.

Yup, it would be good if they could work more closely. No, it ain't legally possible at this time.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #267 on: 18 April 2017, 10:18:21 »
It's slightly worse than that isn't it? Since Microsoft holds some rights to the Mechwarrior computer games. I don't know exactly where the split is between Topps and Microsoft, but is seems like it has something to do with piloting an individual mech? Anyway, the MWO art may be as much locked up by Microsoft as it is by Topps.

Regardless, having fragmented IP is a pain for everyone involved.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #268 on: 18 April 2017, 10:47:53 »
It's slightly worse than that isn't it? Since Microsoft holds some rights to the Mechwarrior computer games. I don't know exactly where the split is between Topps and Microsoft, but is seems like it has something to do with piloting an individual mech? Anyway, the MWO art may be as much locked up by Microsoft as it is by Topps.

Regardless, having fragmented IP is a pain for everyone involved.

Electronic games, Microsoft.  Board games, print (novels), Topps.   Movies are also Topps.
https://trademarks.justia.com/search?q=battletech

Topps has then licensed out to CGL, Microsoft to Piranha and HBS.
We don't know of any other terms of any other agreements, and likely never will. But presumably anything FASA created, Topps and Microsoft can both access, as they "inherited" those rights from FASA.  Post-split, anything between the separate companies has to be negotiated for, FASA couldn't/can't grant rights to something somebody else creates in the future.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

HMS_Swiftsure

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #269 on: 19 April 2017, 13:42:30 »

Maybe Shadow Cat?  That giant hand on the mini is so odd.  Matches the art, but odd.
A MW4-ish Fafnir would probably sell well.

Plot twist:  Urbanmech from the mektek side.