Author Topic: Return of the Opinions/feedback on IWM sculpts  (Read 25933 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Re: Return of the Opinions/feedback on IWM sculpts
« Reply #60 on: 27 August 2022, 14:39:22 »
put the stormwolf together. separate feet and legs was a throwback to the DA stuff, but at least the legs weren't multipart themselves. biggest issue was the TINY AMS. i dropped it and took 15 minutes searching the floor with my phone flashlight to recover it (no parts left behind in this workshop). definitely recommend placing it with a tweezers

11 parts - x2 feet, x2 legs, hip, torso, RAC, laser, x2 arms, AMS
« Last Edit: 27 August 2022, 14:40:54 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

jwt708

• Sergeant
« Reply #61 on: 11 September 2022, 19:07:40 »
Today I assembled the Regent and Orca.

Regent was a breeze. I did pin everything but I'm still suffering from not pinning the DA Black Knight. Zero issues with the Regent, great model.

Orca is a beast! I pinned everything on the Orca and had some issues with the side torsos sticking to the center torso and ended up pinning the arm through side torso into center torso. Sadly the mould line ran right down the center and required quite a bit of filing to smooth it out. On the reverse of the center torso there is a casting void that will need to be filled with green stuff before I prime. All that said I really love this model.

Prometheum5

• Sergeant
« Reply #62 on: 01 October 2022, 15:22:51 »
Putting a Battlemaster together right now.  I really don't like the legs on this mini.

Just putting together my first new Battlemaster now and want to second this. The design of the hips is terrible. Why go with this bizarre, sloppy joint design?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #63 on: 01 October 2022, 15:46:18 »
Just assembled an Osteon, two Septecemias, and a Cephalus.

Firstly, kudos to the legs on these guys! They come as one piece base/foot/left leg (IIRC)/hip, and one loose leg/foot. Really easy to get a range of motion options, and great contact points! The range of extra parts for the torso mounted weapons is also great, albeit fit sometimes needed trimming the plates.

Downsides? The arm connection points to shoulders are tiny. Had to pin the Osteon's arms, will see how the Septs last. And the Osteon's foot covers? No actual connection point, you just lay them down on some glue on the foot, and hope.

But overall great minis, not for beginners.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #64 on: 02 October 2022, 03:54:55 »
So Savage Wolf shoulders?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #65 on: 02 October 2022, 06:52:39 »
Not nearly that bad
« Last Edit: 10 October 2022, 00:47:25 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #66 on: 09 October 2022, 22:46:11 »
I've recently assembled and painted some IWM sculpts.  Here are my impressions:

Prime Mover This big boy is easy to assemble (main fusalage, 6x weels, turret), looks proportionate to all scales, minimal mold lines/cracks.  Happy with this one.

Wheeled Scout BT-466  Really impressed by the level of detail on these.  Assembly was minimal (fusalage and turret).  Scale was appropriate.  No cracks in metal.

Cyrano VTOL This mini is perhaps the best VTOL in IWM's catalogue at the moment.  Parts included main fusalage, rotor, and turret/laser.  Details were crisp and symetrical.  No cracking/warping.  Size was appropriately scaled. 

Black Knight BTL-9KNT 20-5207  Definitely meant to be a showcase miniature for your ComStar forces!! This mini is slightly smaller than CGL plastic mini, however not as notable as others like the Battlemaster, Griffin, Wolverine, Stormcrow etc.  So great news on that.  Mini assembly was not difficult, but the mini does not offer much posability options other than choice of running or standing using leg selection and positioning of head.  I was able to cut and drill magets into the torso and waist to allow for torso twisting with no rubbing, so that was a major positive.  The parts included head, torso, waist, 3x legs, 2x arms, sword.   Unfortunately, the head has a laser on it and the BL-9-KNT is not supposed to have a head mounted laser.  But it was not difficult to swap with a plastic head from the CGL BL-6-KNT and cut the laser off and re-sculpt. 

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #67 on: 26 October 2022, 17:39:15 »
I just put together the Awesome 8T and there is both good and bad. The sculpt itself is great. Nice detail, great fit and very little clean up required. Unfortunately it is WAY smaller than its plastic counterpart. Height wise it's just a bit shorter, but it is much narrower and less bulky. The difference is drastic, and has, unfortunately put me off including him in my next group to be painted. Your mileage may vary.

Prometheum5

• Sergeant
« Reply #68 on: 26 October 2022, 20:22:48 »
Hm, I didn't think to compare the metal Awesome to the plastic one, but I still feel like the metal version scales well against other recent IWM assaults on the lighter end.

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #69 on: 27 October 2022, 12:03:49 »
Yeah, its a real shame that the scale isn't matching up quite right.  I LOVE some of the latest IWM sculpts but the scale on some of the GoAC mechs has prevented me from obtaining more.  I wonder if its best to just kitbash the plastics to the variant you want and maybe take some parts from the IWM sculpts? 

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 27 October 2022, 15:35:55 »
I include alot of IWM parts in my kitbashes, they generally work out well, especially to see the part and mini side by side.  My latest batch is a pair of HGR toting mechs and a Blazer Zeus that use all IWM parts for the weapons.

Yeah, its a real shame that the scale isn't matching up quite right.  I LOVE some of the latest IWM sculpts but the scale on some of the GoAC mechs has prevented me from obtaining more.  I wonder if its best to just kitbash the plastics to the variant you want and maybe take some parts from the IWM sculpts?

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #71 on: 28 October 2022, 07:54:53 »
Slight aside, can I thank whoever designed the Minotaur sculpt for not just making it look good, but making it all one piece. I breathed a sight of relief that I wouldn't have to spend time assembling nearly a dozen of the little squirts. You know, unlike the other nearly three points of Procyons and Sprites I picked up, though thankfully those are still quite simple to assemble.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #72 on: 28 October 2022, 09:10:28 »
Pretty sure all the Gen 1 Protos were single piece . . . wasn't the later Gens during that 3067/PP tons of parts craze?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #73 on: 28 October 2022, 09:15:36 »
can confirm all 3060 protos were once piece

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 28 October 2022, 16:58:40 »
I will definitely bear that in mind next time I'm tempted to go Proto shopping, thanks :P
Poke's Aerospace Academy

"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: 30 October 2022, 21:28:34 »
How many pieces are the Sprite protos in?

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #76 on: 30 October 2022, 22:56:52 »
Three pieces; each arm is separate, the body and base is one piece.

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #77 on: 02 November 2022, 13:28:02 »
Yep. Same story for the Procyon.

Putting them together won't be the end of the world or anything, just convenient to not have to go through an assembly phase for a whole bunch of swarm units.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

abou

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 07 June 2023, 11:00:09 »
I finally got around to painting my flatbed trucks. I have always wanted to use more of those support vehicles and am excited to finally paint up the wheeled scout and prime mover; however, the flatbed truck is... not good.

I am one to quickly defend IWM. Looking at the work they do for Dark Sword, it is hard to top. The flatbed truck though is rough. The details do not seem to pop, smaller bits like the sideview mirrors are deformed, and there are artifacts from the 3D master. Similar problems are noticeable on the recent Catapult. I am not sure if the mold making process or the 3D printer was the culprit, but I am glad to see that problem is absent from sculpts after it. It is just unfortunate that the truck is so poor in quality.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #79 on: 07 June 2023, 15:32:03 »
The Flatbed Truck mini is pretty old by now, isn't it?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

abou

• Captain
« Reply #80 on: 07 June 2023, 15:43:16 »
The Flatbed Truck mini is pretty old by now, isn't it?
2019. So not that old -- at least by our standards in BattleTech.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #81 on: 07 June 2023, 18:37:34 »
Huh, I thought it was from back in the late 90s/early 00s.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #82 on: 28 August 2023, 15:48:20 »
Mastodon:

Torso parts are a bit loose when attached to the body and molding seems to make them want to lean on itself, making the tops kind of triangular instead of an E shape.  The arms to the weapon connection feels more rounded than a half circle, so when you are attaching the weapons to the arms, take the body into account so you don't skew them into the legs or body upon assembly.

Marauder:

Seems to be a molding issue with the arms and legs.  Found crystallization and flash on the right side of the arm weapon ports on 2 Marauders so far, have another 4 to check when I get home.   There seems to be some slippage on one of the legs as well. 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #83 on: 28 August 2023, 16:31:35 »
I'm putting a Mastodon together right now.  Didn't have too much trouble getting the torso into an E shape, but getting the arms put together has been a real pain- the upper arms do not want to stick into the ports in the PPCs at least.

Also, interesting idea making the arm sprues one PPC and one missile pod each instead of one sprue of PPCs and one of missiles.  Guess that does mean half the number of different sprues to produce.

Kibutsu

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #84 on: 28 August 2023, 17:36:47 »
I built and painted the flatbed trucks pretty soon after they were released and didn't see any of the problems posted here. Mine were beautiful little castings. Sounds like you got a bad blister or maybe the molds have deteriorated.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #85 on: 28 August 2023, 17:50:39 »
Got a Mastodon Prime assembled.  Looks pretty good.  Working on a Jade Phoenix now.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #86 on: 28 August 2023, 18:33:57 »
Got the Jade Phoenix together and I have to ask: what the heck is going on with those legs?

Also, I do wish that it had been designed with the one-piece wing part like the Gyrfalcon 4, though the wings do fit together reasonably well.

I will say that it looks very nice now that it's assembled.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #87 on: 03 September 2023, 22:49:42 »
legs were tricky, yes. i used the foot with the flexed toes on the right leg that extended back and the left leg forward into a stride. i then glued each foot onto opposite edges of the hex base.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #88 on: 03 September 2023, 23:16:41 »
I have the left leg flat on the hex base with the right leg and flexed foot coming off it, trying to simulate it being in the middle of lifting its foot.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #89 on: 04 September 2023, 01:08:03 »
I keep forgetting to make one lifting the foot forward.   The plastic one does have a differently angled leg.