Author Topic: ’Mech of the Week: Carronade  (Read 12487 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: ’Mech of the Week: Carronade
« Reply #30 on: 19 April 2019, 20:38:09 »
The Carronade's neat. Utilitarian's a good word for it. And yeah, dual standard Gauss would be boring.

One of the few FWL 'Mechs i like, because it got fine looks and actually works. Usually FWL 'Mechs seem to fall into "too ugly but good" or "kind of OK but terrible" categories.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #31 on: 19 April 2019, 22:07:26 »
My Orloff Grenadier command lance has one of these, a Juliano, a Marauder 9M2, and a Thud 10M. It looses a little of the flavor it has here as it will be for an Alpha Strike game.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 19 April 2019, 22:30:18 »
The Carronade's neat. Utilitarian's a good word for it. And yeah, dual standard Gauss would be boring.

One of the few FWL 'Mechs i like, because it got fine looks and actually works. Usually FWL 'Mechs seem to fall into "too ugly but good" or "kind of OK but terrible" categories.

Most of the FWL's Dark Age offerings fall into the "solidly good" to "Jesus Christ it does what?!" levels of quality.  It's a good change.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #33 on: 19 April 2019, 23:33:08 »
Most of the FWL's Dark Age offerings fall into the "solidly good" to "Jesus Christ it does what?!" levels of quality.  It's a good change.

Yeah, the Stalker II is problematic and the Violator is a real head-scratcher but the rest are pretty nice.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #34 on: 20 April 2019, 00:09:18 »
A bit off-topic, but conceptually, I like the Stalker II. That said, with that AND the subject Carronade, I do wish we have more variants, even if they were just flavor.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #35 on: 20 April 2019, 00:41:35 »
My main issue with the Stalker II is combining a Torso-Mounted Cockpit (which is not something I'm terribly fond of to begin with) and Hardened Armor (and, if Quirks are in play, No/Minimal Arms).  I agree that it would be nice if it and the Carronade got some variants.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 20 April 2019, 09:48:35 »
Like the Stalker II, it ain't ugly and it isn't at least terrible like some previous FWL designs. Also think the latest hardened armor rule errata made the 'Mech less vulnerable to falling down since 40-effective damage is harder to achieve than 20. If i recall correctly, disregard what i say if i'm wrong.

The Carronade, yeah, needs variants. It is easy to tinker with, as long as one is willing to remove the Gauss rifles.
Since the 'Mech's supposed to be a trooper, i'd be inclined to increase durability with a light fusion engine, this could be achieved with a Clan-spec Gauss rifle and Clan-spec CASE IIs. Simple change, and the Clan Protectorate can most likely able to provide tech for such minimal changes. A more advanced, elite version could replace the lasers too. Would match nicely with what the (ugly) Juliano has.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 20 April 2019, 13:01:17 »
Like the Stalker II, it ain't ugly and it isn't at least terrible like some previous FWL designs. Also think the latest hardened armor rule errata made the 'Mech less vulnerable to falling down since 40-effective damage is harder to achieve than 20. If i recall correctly, disregard what i say if i'm wrong.

This is correct.

The Carronade, yeah, needs variants. It is easy to tinker with, as long as one is willing to remove the Gauss rifles.

I am particularly fond of keeping the mission profile the same but switching up the guns to LBX and UAC 10s.  Ammo tonnage goes up considerably, but you still save a good chunk.  The Clan upgrade of that one is similarly a really easy sell.

I'd also be very happy if there was a variant that went whole hog and just put on two SB Gauss.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 20 April 2019, 13:44:56 »
This is correct.
Woohoo!
I am particularly fond of keeping the mission profile the same but switching up the guns to LBX and UAC 10s.  Ammo tonnage goes up considerably, but you still save a good chunk.  The Clan upgrade of that one is similarly a really easy sell.
That works certainly. Think you can actually use LFE with those guns, to gain durability, though CASE II needs moving, and heat generation goes up.
The damage potential doesn't actually change, range goes down (and Ultras can jam but whatever). It does increase large hit potential, which makes hole exploiting easier, i suppose that might be good reason enough, especially with added durability from LFE?
Alternatively, jump jets can be added.

Ah, damn, have enough ideas i gotta start a workshop thread soon.

All in all, think the FWL has borderline gold-standard Dark Age trooper in the Carronade.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 20 April 2019, 14:23:20 »
I'd call the Carronade direct fire support before trooper honestly, but your statement is otherwise still correct because the Anzu is also a fantastic trooper.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 20 April 2019, 14:27:24 »
I call the 'Mech trooper because that's what Sillybrit calls it in the article itself.
It does certainly feel more like direct fire support 'Mech due to XLFE and Gauss rifles... but reckon it works in either role.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #41 on: 20 April 2019, 15:29:44 »
you can't really afford to ignore anything with two gauss rifles. The range gives it some flexibility along with it's firepower.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com