Author Topic: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian  (Read 147149 times)

elf25s

• Major
Re: What are we Reading Now: Conan the Librarian
« Reply #720 on: 17 March 2020, 21:17:43 »
just finished reading count of monte cristo in french un abridged...forgot how much fun it was...that and it gave me a good refresher in french which i had not used in awhile
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #721 on: 18 March 2020, 05:35:37 »
I'm currently reading Treasure Island to my son as a bedtime story. Before that, it was The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings back to back.

Since before we moved house when I was seven years old, i.e. in the mid/late 70s, I had an audio play cassette of a prequel story to Treasure Island. I loved it to death, literally. The cassette tape broke one day, but my young self loved it so much that I removed the short end and clipped it back together, losing only a few seconds at the start/end of the tape. At some point the tape was lost though, and I've been looking for it for decades.

Reading TI to my son somehow put that prequel back in my mind, and some internet research later I'm fairly confident that it was probably an audio version of the semi-official TI prequel Porto Bello Gold - I can only recall fragments of the story from the audio tape, but among what I can recall is that the whole treasure came from the capture of a single galleon (the Santisima Trinidad), that it was seized in not a chance encounter but a planned action, and that one of the protagonists' name was Ormerod. The latter is probably the most important hint. I also recall there was some sort of double-cross, a kidnapping/hostage situation, and that one other protagonist was dutch. (Weird how childhood memories seem to cling to completely random bits of information. I can't for the life of me remember the actual story.)

Now I'm hunting down that book. I want it sitting on my shelf, badly. And read it, of course - the online reviews are pretty glowing and suggest it is a very solid book on its own, and very respectful of TI.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #722 on: 18 March 2020, 09:45:32 »
I just finished the PRINTED version of the Battletech Novel (novella?) Redemption Rift. 3139 Actions of the Wolf's Dragoons contract in the Draconis Reaches. Which i think was a spectacular read. I really really liked it.  I think shows time of the times, with the Spider's Web is still around but as a combine arms "Strike Battallion" where they mix clan formations and inner sphere designations in.  So Star Clan Mechs, Star of Battle Armor, and Two Stars of Regular Tanks and couple points aerospace fighters along with other elements of the Dragoons working for the dragon.  I wish Jason Schmetzer had written follow up novel as they Dragoons charge into House Davion.   This was really good book guys, its worth every penny.

The sneak peak of the Grey Watch Protocol was included in the book.  It looks promising as well.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #723 on: 24 March 2020, 11:49:29 »
ok this may sound bit odd i had been looking for a book from either late 70s or early 80s.bunch of short stories
the premise of it is a man who invents a time machine because he wants to meet h g wells.
so soon as he invents it by using crystals  he travels back to meet wells but by mistake sets his alarm clock a bit to wake him up when machine arrives in desired time. well he had set a clock to wake him up at  a time of hg wells birth and gets to meet him while hg wells is still a baby. realizing his mistake he goes foreward to meet him when hg wells is an adult. he meets him tells hg wells he was the inspiration for him inventing the time machine and leaves. oops moment is he arrived before hg wells pens the time  machine.
then this story is followed by few short stories about others who try to preserve the time line and those that want to make money f time travel. one particular story was about 2 knights that are really agents for preserving the time line who come across a friar who offers them brandy which had not been invented yet for at least 20 years yet.
this damn thing had been nagging at me since i re watched original time machine from the 1960s
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #724 on: 26 March 2020, 10:28:29 »
I've just finished Leviathan Wakes, the first book of the Expanse series, and I have to say I was really disappointed with it. I thought it began well and I liked its visualisation of a colonised solar system and the tensions between the different factions but it completely lost me with the whole billion year old alien bioweapon feeds on people and becomes sentient thing. It felt like a cheap cop-out to me  :(
The fact that the sample chapter of the 2nd book seems to be continuing with that storyline is enouh for me to give the rest of the books (and the TV show) a miss.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #725 on: 26 March 2020, 16:26:05 »
Thanks for the warning... that plus my initial reservations about the not so good physics I saw in the first season change my soft pass to a hard pass...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #726 on: 26 March 2020, 17:52:13 »
Sorry you didn't find them interesting - I've really enjoyed all 8 books, and after the cliffhanger at the end of the eighth, I'm hanging out for the ninth more than I'd ever care about the last GoT book.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #727 on: 26 March 2020, 17:58:49 »
GoT was the only book (series) my wife every actually threw away…  As a result, I've never seen them.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #728 on: 26 March 2020, 19:03:25 »
They're OK - I strongly prefer Cook's Black Company series, or Erikson's Malazan series. Martin does enjoy his grimdark, let's say. I read an interview which said he doesn't so much plot the story, as create the characters, and lets them go where they want/need to go. It's interesting, and largely responsible IMHO for the failure of the last TV season, where a very different style was used by the scriptwriters.

If you can pick them up cheap, and want to fill time with big thick books with lots of names, they're worth it.

* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #729 on: 26 March 2020, 19:11:08 »
+1 for The Black Company!  I liked those...

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #730 on: 26 March 2020, 19:12:21 »

I’ve never read the Black Company books, but I love Cook’s Garrett PI series.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #731 on: 26 March 2020, 19:24:58 »
Then I'd give them a try. Shame the Garrett series seems to have reached a stopping point.

If you like the Black Company, try Cooks' Dread Empire series - you can see some of the same thinking, but DE goes in quite different directions. And it would be a marvellous place to run an RPG campaign ...

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #732 on: 26 March 2020, 21:09:03 »
Thanks for the warning... that plus my initial reservations about the not so good physics I saw in the first season change my soft pass to a hard pass...
I didn't have any problems with the physics apart from one thing that the *spoiler* bit did. In general I felt it did physics better than a lot of medium-hard sci-fi

Sorry you didn't find them interesting - I've really enjoyed all 8 books, and after the cliffhanger at the end of the eighth, I'm hanging out for the ninth more than I'd ever care about the last GoT book.

Does the alien goo/protomolecule stay a major component of the later books? If it drops out of the storyline I'd be willing to give some later books a go.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #733 on: 26 March 2020, 21:12:01 »
Does the alien goo/protomolecule stay a major component of the later books? If it drops out of the storyline I'd be willing to give some later books a go.

It remains important, though often in the background.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #734 on: 27 March 2020, 02:59:14 »
I didn't have any problems with the physics apart from one thing that the *spoiler* bit did. In general I felt it did physics better than a lot of medium-hard sci-fi
*snip*
It was the inconsistency of it... they did good with the rotating reference frame, but BAD with the whole 30g acceleration nonsense.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #735 on: 27 March 2020, 04:25:02 »
My main problem with the Expanse is that I read it after Watts's Blindsight - and I cannot sing the latter book's praise enough.
The Expanse is actually decent, but after Blindsight it wasn't top notch anymore and the protomolecule is indeed a somewhat crude plot.

However, I think I have to defend the Expanse here: It was created as background setting for an online game. The first book is about the discovery of the protomolecule, the second and third about how the setting's stargate comes about and is unlocked by humanity. Do not think of these events as plotlines. Think of them as universe-building, as the canvas on which the characters and conflicts play out. The Expanse has strong characters and well-done conflict stories, imho (even in the first books when the setting was still being set up). "You guys don't even know where your riot gear is" may be my favorite line from the first book, the plot is just... Stackpolian.

My favorite little gem is how one character in the second book (Prax) is chewed out by public media in a concerted action to undermine his credibility, to the point of his ex-wife, apparently under orders from the bad guys, publicly accusing him of being a pedophile. Only, there is a half sentence early on in the book where that character actually wants to go to an illegal child brothel. Blink and you'll miss it, the book never revisits that point and doesn't dwell on the question wether or not he's really a pedophile afterwards. The guy is a protagonist otherwise and genuinely cares for his little daughter who was abducted in the prologue.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #736 on: 27 March 2020, 14:05:20 »
Peter Watts is in a completely different league, agreed. Read Blindsight & Echopraxia, or the Rifters trilogy, for mind expansion, not for cheering up, though. Science hard, cold, cruel, and edgy indeed.

But while I read Erikson, I also have enjoyed Eddings (just not as re-readable ;) ). Likewise, the Expanse is good fun, well told. And there's usually a McGuffin somewhere in all stories. If I can enjoy the film Armageddon ...

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #737 on: 27 March 2020, 14:24:04 »

As do I!

Another mercenary series I really enjoy if Falkenberg's Mercenaries by Jerry Pournelle.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #738 on: 28 March 2020, 05:01:23 »
Peter Watts is in a completely different league, agreed. Read Blindsight & Echopraxia, or the Rifters trilogy, for mind expansion, not for cheering up, though. Science hard, cold, cruel, and edgy indeed.

Echopraxia is sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read.  I might leave it a while longer though...
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #739 on: 28 March 2020, 13:08:23 »
to break my decision paralysis on what to read next i've employed my two year old to grab a something off my unread shelf

first out of the gate: Ferdinand de Saussure's Course in General Linguistics

girl's already got a mean streak  ;D

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #740 on: 28 March 2020, 13:34:49 »
Picked up the new Patricia Briggs novel in the “Mercy Thompson” series, Smoke Bitten. Reading that right now.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #741 on: 28 March 2020, 13:54:39 »
Picked up the new Patricia Briggs novel in the “Mercy Thompson” series, Smoke Bitten. Reading that right now.

Ruger

I read that one yesterday.

As in, I read the whole thing in one day.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #742 on: 28 March 2020, 15:34:37 »
Finished Warlord a week or so back.  It's Book 3 of the Makaum War Trilogy, by Mel Odom.

Currently reading The Alien Enigma: The War to Become Immortal by Michael David.  He goes by the handle HeadlessHorseman over on LotB, and maybe a few other BT Forums.  It isn't BT, and it's set in a Universe of his own imagining.  Pretty Good so far!   :thumbsup:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #743 on: 28 March 2020, 15:59:33 »
Mel Odem? There's an author I haven't thought about in a while.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #744 on: 28 March 2020, 17:30:05 »
If you liked Heinlein's writing, I can't recommend Scalzi enough.  Old Man's War (and it's sequels) is just a sample of his abilities.  Fuzzy Nation was great, and even approved by the Piper estate.  Agent to the Stars was also entertaining.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #745 on: 31 March 2020, 19:13:07 »
If you liked Heinlein's writing, I can't recommend Scalzi enough.  Old Man's War (and it's sequels) is just a sample of his abilities.  Fuzzy Nation was great, and even approved by the Piper estate.  Agent to the Stars was also entertaining.

I did enjoy Old Man's War. I haven't read any others in the series. How are they in comparison?
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #746 on: 31 March 2020, 19:14:07 »
IIRC second great, then the level of engagement dropped off in the third, and got no further.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #747 on: 31 March 2020, 19:19:51 »
The thing about the other books is that the focus is different.  John Perry is pretty much around the edges in the others.  I did like the first one best, but would still recommend the others.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #748 on: 03 April 2020, 20:20:13 »
So I come, hat in hand, asking for the impossible. I am looking for a book series about dinosaurs from my childhood, unfortunately i remember neither the name nor the author(s). The series was made up of graphic novel/comic and book hybrids I think it was 4 or 5 books long. Each soft cover book featured a couple of pages of info about a dinosaur or groups of dinosaurs, or maybe the prehistoric world, then there several pages of comics about said dinosaurs/habitat, and they then repeated with a different subject, with each book having 3 or 4 sections. They were written in either late 90's or early 2000's and had pretty good artwork, with colorful but realistic (and very modern) dinosaurs. One thing that always struck with me was that the comics did not shy away from blood and violence, and tended to emphasize the more ruthless aspects of nature. If this description sounds familiar to anyone I would appreciate your suggestions. Again I know I ask the impossible.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #749 on: 03 April 2020, 23:12:57 »
So I come, hat in hand, asking for the impossible. I am looking for a book series about dinosaurs from my childhood, unfortunately i remember neither the name nor the author(s). The series was made up of graphic novel/comic and book hybrids I think it was 4 or 5 books long. Each soft cover book featured a couple of pages of info about a dinosaur or groups of dinosaurs, or maybe the prehistoric world, then there several pages of comics about said dinosaurs/habitat, and they then repeated with a different subject, with each book having 3 or 4 sections. They were written in either late 90's or early 2000's and had pretty good artwork, with colorful but realistic (and very modern) dinosaurs. One thing that always struck with me was that the comics did not shy away from blood and violence, and tended to emphasize the more ruthless aspects of nature. If this description sounds familiar to anyone I would appreciate your suggestions. Again I know I ask the impossible.

Hmm...I don't quite think it fits all of the criteria, but, would it perhaps be Ricardo Delgado's "Age of Reptiles"?

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy