Author Topic: Star Trek general thread  (Read 139502 times)

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
Re: Star Trek general thread
« Reply #300 on: 22 March 2020, 04:55:56 »
Earth there are no problems, you get out in the deeper colonies and the like it shows how bad it is. Even the human ones like the planet Tasha Yar was from, that was a bunch of humans that had the 180 of the Federations Utopia. I would say the difference would be because the Enterprise-D was the flagship...and got to drink the kool aid when on the Federation Flagship. 

Yeah, and that's sort of what Picard has shown as well.  Even while Raffi was living in isolation at Vasquez Rocks in what she called a hovel, she had a replicator, she had a computer, she had her snakeweed plants to vape. Picard was able to take a taxi to go see her.  She had no material needs.  All the problems Picard has encountered are either external (like the Zhat Vash infiltrating Starfleet) or far away from Earth (like Vashti turning into a Romulan ghetto because the Federation abandoned them), and it's clear that people like Admiral Clancy made hard choices that Picard disagrees with because they felt their choices maintained the Utopia for as many people as possible.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #301 on: 22 March 2020, 06:11:27 »
Trek was always there to point to a future where we could say we moved past that corrupt and dark side of ourselves, that we were better.  It's kind of a bummer to see it fall back into modern grimdark storytelling.

The utopia that still had issues with racism (Kirk for the Klingons, especially after his son was killed; Chekov for the Klingons (“Close enough to smell them!”), Styles for the Romulans), famine (the colony where Kirk grew up and thousands were killed by its governor), war (all the conflicts with the Klingons, Romulans, Tholians, Orion pirates, etc.), condoning of slavery/similar institutions (Starfleet officers enjoying the spectacle (and likely more) of the Orion slave girls without objection, Mudd’s women), etc.?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #302 on: 22 March 2020, 07:24:13 »
haven't we been around this in circles a dozen times already - and it always ends up with the mods closing down the thread.

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #303 on: 22 March 2020, 11:37:15 »
haven't we been around this in circles a dozen times already - and it always ends up with the mods closing down the thread.

Eep.  Yeah... so what about the new Soong?  Alton Inigo (! You killed my father, prepare to die!?!) Soong?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #304 on: 22 March 2020, 11:41:21 »
I think someone kept some of Lore's source code in Sutra's source code.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Garrand

• Warrant Officer
  • "Nicht kleckern, klotzen!"
« Reply #305 on: 22 March 2020, 12:26:47 »
THing is even if it was a supernova, those things are deeply unpleasant for stuff in system. But beyond that, it will only go and expand to surrounding space waaaaaaay slower. To threaten a nearby star system would take centuries if not longer and if a systems suitably far away then they'd be treated to a spectacular light show but thats about it.

The bad stuff from a supernova is going to be in waves. The most immediate issue is going to be hard radiation that will sterilize any systems within a radius of several light years IIRC. So once you actually see the supernova, its already too late as you get bombarded by hard radiation. Also IIRC if one of the poles is pointing towards you, you will get an even more heavy dose. But if the star was several light years away, that'll take time to get there. The other stuff (matter) would take a very long time to threaten Romulus, centuries or even millenia, but by then it would be too late.

If the supernova was Romulus' parent star, all life would be scoured from the planet within a matter of minutes to hours at best.

Damon.
Book Blog: bookslikedust.blogspot.com
Minis Blog: minislikedust.blogspot.com

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #306 on: 22 March 2020, 13:04:14 »
As for the supernova, I could be completely off, but I believe it was explained in a tie-in comic for the 2009 reboot film that there was something weird about the original star that went supernova: it somehow affected subspace, allowing its destructiveness to travel much farther and much faster than normal.
(But it has been a bit since I read it...)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #307 on: 22 March 2020, 13:11:38 »
Yeah, and that's sort of what Picard has shown as well.  Even while Raffi was living in isolation at Vasquez Rocks in what she called a hovel, she had a replicator, she had a computer, she had her snakeweed plants to vape. Picard was able to take a taxi to go see her.  She had no material needs.  All the problems Picard has encountered are either external (like the Zhat Vash infiltrating Starfleet) or far away from Earth (like Vashti turning into a Romulan ghetto because the Federation abandoned them), and it's clear that people like Admiral Clancy made hard choices that Picard disagrees with because they felt their choices maintained the Utopia for as many people as possible.
`The needs pf the many outweigh the needs of the few.'

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #310 on: 24 March 2020, 19:19:44 »
Well last episode is Thursday with a lot of story to tell and close up.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #311 on: 26 March 2020, 20:41:53 »
Overall, I thought this was a pretty decent, not great, addition to Star Trek. I'm happy to see it continue.

Two moments I didn't like in the finale:

1. The huge Romulan and Starfleets fleets each looked to be made up of just one class of ship.

2. The final scene seemed to indicate some kind of flirtation or romantic connection between Raffi and Seven. What? Where the hell did that come from? I'm not opposed to this because it seems like it could be an interesting pairing, but it completely came out of nowhere.

Bring on DISCO S3!

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #312 on: 26 March 2020, 21:49:03 »
1.  Aside from practical considerations, maybe (and a big if) they're accepting there wouldn't be that much variation in actual production.

2.  Agreed.

3 (because why not   :P ) couldn't the do something better than "generic tentacles"?
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #313 on: 26 March 2020, 21:51:27 »
*nod*

I don't mind it but I was kind of hoping a couple different things would have happened there at the end.

As to your #2 item Roosterboy I'm pretty sure my thoughts on it and where it came from/why it happened are purely violations of rule 4 to express and as such I'm honestly disappointed in the show runners for doing it even if I'm like you and don't actually entirely mind it.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #314 on: 27 March 2020, 04:10:14 »
I'm kinda hoping for a short trek or something to expand on point 2 there.  I didn't mind it even though it came out of left field.

My big problems with the series overall were

1. Not much came of the Artefact in the end.  I'm not sure if it was that the writers couldn't figure out hot to make it a bigger thing, or the fans felt it should have been more important, but it just seemed to be there with all these cool plot ideas and then winds up sitting on the planet and that's it?  If Seven had even used the weapons Narissa brought back online this week to help defend the planet, it would have been something

But aside from that, I really enjoyed the finale and the show overall.

2.Having Picard die only to come back in a synth body just about identical to his human one was pointless.  They could have kept the Irumotic Syndrome as a growing thing that eventually kills him at the end of the show, or spent all the time referring to it to better flesh out other stories, but it really stood out as unearned drama here

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #315 on: 27 March 2020, 07:16:02 »
I only liked the Picard - Data story arc. Their friendship coming to an appropriate "end" like Data wanted all his "life"... "dying" as a human that he so desired to be.

Everything else is lazy writing IMO. They spent all the good writing in that Picard Data scene.

Wasted a good 2nd hand Borg Cube. Wasted 7 of 9. Wasted Narek (which suddenly disappears). Wasted Narissa.

Picard going into an artificial body which is a replica of his own but without the Irumotic Syndrome is... stupid.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2020, 07:26:55 by Kentares »
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #316 on: 27 March 2020, 13:31:43 »
The ships of both fleets were upsetting to me. They were all the same Federation ship. It looked like a Galaxy modified from STO.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #317 on: 28 March 2020, 02:24:42 »
I absolutely loved ST:Picard. That said, the finale also was emotionally devastating for me, despite how much I loved it.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #318 on: 28 March 2020, 03:57:59 »
In a season of missed potential and unresolved plot lines, did I miss what happened to Narek? I had a lot of problems with the series (it also had its moments, to be fair), but building up this guy as a creepy spy all season, giving him his semi-redemption moment, and then literally forgetting about him feels utterly bizarre.  Did I just miss a scene?
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #319 on: 28 March 2020, 04:16:29 »
Pretty sure we don't see him after he's pinned to the ground by the Synths.  I'd be shocked if he's not back next year though.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #320 on: 28 March 2020, 12:29:46 »
I'm not even convinced his sister didn't survive. We never see Narissa's body.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #321 on: 28 March 2020, 13:48:28 »
Yeah over all season 1 was interesting to me and not the worst Star Trek I've ever seen but I tend to agree there were a lot of things that were never followed up on that should have been and some weirdness coming out of no where that kept it from being truly great.

What I think really helped it is it did not suffer from prequelitis.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #322 on: 28 March 2020, 16:21:55 »

That was my main motivation to see (and liked some stuff) the series.
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #323 on: 29 March 2020, 22:42:48 »
tips

And now I've got the verse about Enterprise in "The USS Make [stuff] Up" in my head.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #324 on: 30 March 2020, 04:55:03 »
So, it was announced before series 1 of Picard aired that Michael Chabon wouldn't be back as showrunner for series 2 (He's writing a TV adaptation of Kavalier and Klay), turns out his replacement was the showrunner on the 12 Monkeys TV show.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #325 on: 30 March 2020, 11:52:02 »
So, it was announced before series 1 of Picard aired that Michael Chabon wouldn't be back as showrunner for series 2 (He's writing a TV adaptation of Kavalier and Klay), turns out his replacement was the showrunner on the 12 Monkeys TV show.

Haven't seen the show 12 Monkeys.  Was it as good as the movie?

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #326 on: 30 March 2020, 11:54:27 »
I haven't seen it, but I have heard many good things.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #327 on: 30 March 2020, 14:54:45 »
We don't lovingly refer to her as Warlord Janeway for nothing after all.

Don't make her find your lack of faith disturbing..

I read up on the last ep, and the whole data computer generated mind thinggy, where he and Jean luc spent time
And it seemed a good 'good-bye', after the events of Nemsis..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #328 on: 31 March 2020, 22:58:30 »
But

To do the mind meld stuff, you still need to be a telepath, or at least have telepatic capabilities. Sutra's basically got a super-computer as a brain and can't be a telepath.

Robots can't be telepaths...?
A certain Mr. Isaac Asimov would like to disagree with you.  ;D

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #329 on: 01 April 2020, 01:44:37 »
Robots can't be telepaths...?
A certain Mr. Isaac Asimov would like to disagree with you.  ;D

cheers,

Gabe

When did he write a telepathic robot??
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.