Author Topic: Gaming and you?  (Read 6518 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Gaming and you?
« Reply #30 on: 17 March 2020, 16:25:17 »
The only pc gaming i do, is single player stuff, like command and conquor, or empire earth..  Most of my other gaming comes in the way of adnd, starwars D6, battle tech or x-wing miniatures.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #31 on: 18 March 2020, 07:15:25 »
I play online shooter type FPS games with a close cadre of friends.  Never wider swaths of the 'net.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 18 March 2020, 08:46:00 »
Colt,
some of the games I have been playing around with recently and enjoying are space survival type games, and "mechanic" simulator ones.

with the mechanic simulator 2 that I can say are decent, are car mechanic simulator 2018, and Tank mechanic simulator which just came out.

as far as the survival simulators
Take on mars  includes a semi realistic construction mechanic involving resources and 3d printers.  its semi abandonware, because there are a few small bugs and the manned campaign is essentially a take on "the martian" I will say I think its overpriced if not on sale currently.

Osirus New Dawn.  much simplified crafting model. with that said the tech tree is somewhat limited, and unless you can find a bug/exploit.... leveling combat is a pain.  my friend found one where there are some guarded lithium nodes on the starter planet (moon) and if you set up a turret array.... combat exp galore

Raising world, they recently made some updates but I haven't played it since those updates went in.

starcom nexus is a space game where you are exploring and trying to solve an ancient mystery, with some "interesting" implications.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #33 on: 18 March 2020, 10:37:05 »
I dont play a lot of online, or phone games. I got turned off years ago because every game was a first person shooter. From Halo, Call of Duty, and the others. I just never really changed my mind over the years.
I guess Im not a good gamer.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #34 on: 18 March 2020, 10:50:10 »
Here is something a bit outside of the typical responses for the OP . . .

I prefer to buy a physical product that I do not need internet to verify or be able to actively play.  I hate the EULA crap like Apple/Amazon where I 'buy' the book/movie but if you read the fine print its really renting.  I hate having to be online and basically have the game talking to a server or whatever to be allowed to play.

Which is why my game buying has also dropped off . . . I cannot walk into Best Buy to skim the aisles to see a game title that interests me.  I remember where I bought WC's Privateer and looking at the box . . . I remember buying MechCommander Gold in Houston during a holiday visit to my grandmother and starting to play it on my uncle's computer.  Even when the medium online vs physical was in balance, I would spend the extra $5 or $10 to buy a physical copy of the game.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #35 on: 18 March 2020, 14:31:16 »
I dont play a lot of online, or phone games. I got turned off years ago because every game was a first person shooter. From Halo, Call of Duty, and the others. I just never really changed my mind over the years.
I guess Im not a good gamer.
You've been looking in the wrong place. Look up Shrapnel Games, Matrix Games, Slitherine, and HPS Simulations. They're publisher with tons of online multiplayer games and none are first-person shooters (nor MMORPG for that matter).
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 19 March 2020, 01:39:01 »
Here is something a bit outside of the typical responses for the OP . . .

I prefer to buy a physical product that I do not need internet to verify or be able to actively play.  I hate the EULA crap like Apple/Amazon where I 'buy' the book/movie but if you read the fine print its really renting.  I hate having to be online and basically have the game talking to a server or whatever to be allowed to play.

Which is why my game buying has also dropped off . . . I cannot walk into Best Buy to skim the aisles to see a game title that interests me.  I remember where I bought WC's Privateer and looking at the box . . . I remember buying MechCommander Gold in Houston during a holiday visit to my grandmother and starting to play it on my uncle's computer.  Even when the medium online vs physical was in balance, I would spend the extra $5 or $10 to buy a physical copy of the game.

That's why i am NOT willing to do games via Steam..

It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #37 on: 19 March 2020, 01:49:30 »
I do this, Runescape and Fallout 4 with all DLC online, rest is various uploaded video games such as Plurble.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

francisbaud

• Recruit
« Reply #38 on: 09 April 2020, 17:56:39 »
Do you play much?

Not currently as I've stopped gaming a while ago.

Do you play all of the latest games, or are you playing old atari 2600 titles, or something in between?

What I played the most was MOBA (League of Legends) and MMORPGs (WoW, Rappelz, Knight Online, Crowfall, Camelot Unchained).

Do you use social media and to what extent does it involve gaming?

I don't use social media.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #39 on: 10 April 2020, 14:30:40 »
Do you know of any mobile games, that you play on your phone or tablet, that are close to traditional games?
I am also a light game now. I mainly play maybe one / two serious mobile games, and couple PC games i have time to play.

With my current device,  i have not found many traditional games , unless you want very dumbdown games such as Cricket or Solitaire.  Not from my limited view, which essentially my phone can barely play stuff at 8G but not so big hard drive which despite having a SD chip, most mobile games need be in the phone drive to certain extent.
What kind of mobile games do you play? If its something like Clash of Clans or similar games how do you feel about them when compared to games that are not connected to the passage of time for "action points", such as playing Super Mario that flows freely.

My main mobile game is War Robots.  It's pay to win game sort-of, but it's a mech game. Its has good graphics that is continuously being updated.  It's a arena/small map combat 6 vs 6.  No such thing as single player game with this. It's 10 minute matches.  Its very close to Battletech as your going get without feeling ick by way it setup or how their milking you money with subpar game play/micro-exchanges for parts/weapons/mechs.   It's also steam/pc game, which i find more controllable wise, less lag but its tough get started due not as many low-end/starter players in the low-levels ranks.

Do you watch other people play games on a streaming service? I have heard of twitch and youtube, but only heard about facebook gaming in an article about a particular streamer that now has an exclusive deal with them.
What are some of the big MMOs out now? I know WoW got restarted to its 2005 self and that people were waiting for hours to get into a few servers, but is there anything that is newer that people are playing? I mean actual MMOs, not games claiming to be such even though its just 12 v 12 in matches like old counter strike.
Frankly i disagree with you MWO isn't being played. It is. I've had matches nightly (i'm still working) The community has certainly shrunk, there is a wait time of few minutes. However, the game play is ok, the community isn't toxic as it once was.  No new content has been added however, except for rehashed maps. 

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #40 on: 12 August 2021, 17:05:37 »
PC Gamer since forever, owned a couple of consoles but M and K is really
my thing.

I play a lot of games, very few are recent purchases.  I did play WoW for 15 years, but
the parasitic design got to me.  A new system each expansion, got old.  Also I ran a guild
for the final 5-6 years, kinda also wore me down.

These days I treat GTA online and Destiny2, pretty much like MMOs.  Destiny2 is my main thing
really, I like the permanence of the vast bulk of my loot.  A significant contrast to WoW, where the
desired weapon or armour might have a shelf life of six months or so.

I've a lot of time on my hands, if I'm not playing one of the two above I'll be revisiting stuff I've always
loved.  A yearly replay of the Homeworld or Dishonored series, or a regular playthrough of Civ.

Regards Streaming, I've never found watching anyone doing something I want to do....fun.  Far be it from
me to disparage other peoples choices, but no not for me. 
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 12 August 2021, 18:16:29 »
I have played video games on and off since we got an Atari 400 (I believe it had 4 bytes of memory) back in 1984.  As an adult, my big gaming franchises were the stuff by Blizzard Entertainment (Warcraft-Starcraft-WoW and Diablo 1-3) and anything about Mechwarrior/BattleTech.  I've played through a couple Assassin's creed games and enjoy Resident Evil survival horror. 

I never enjoyed mobile games, and try to avoid them.  I don't really watch streamers, but I'm aware of their existence.  Due to family and work, I feel like I'm aging out of the active gaming scene into someone who occasionally plays games when the situation allows, but that is pretty darn rare.

One of the highlights of my gaming life was finally realizing that the Druid class in WoW would only ever be a solid healer (midway through AQ40 back in Vanilla) and rerolling my main as a Dwarf Warrior on a PvP server (Sargeras) and playing Battlegrounds and just raiding for fun with my alt while my guild progressed through T3 Naxx (we stalled out on 4 horsemen, like many other guilds in Vanilla). 

Highlight of gaming:  Battlegrounds as a Warrior with Honor gear (back when you needed rank to get it).  It was hilarious to be beset by like 5 horde rogues, and just Overpower/Mortal Strike 2 shot them back-to-back-to-back.  My Paladin healing buddy said it was the most fun he had in WoW.  Good times (good to be young and have a lot of spare time!!!)

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #42 on: 15 August 2021, 09:07:57 »
I have played video games on and off since we got an Atari 400 (I believe it had 4 bytes of memory) back in 1984.  As an adult, my big gaming franchises were the stuff by Blizzard Entertainment (Warcraft-Starcraft-WoW and Diablo 1-3) and anything about Mechwarrior/BattleTech.  I've played through a couple Assassin's creed games and enjoy Resident Evil survival horror. 

I never enjoyed mobile games, and try to avoid them.  I don't really watch streamers, but I'm aware of their existence.  Due to family and work, I feel like I'm aging out of the active gaming scene into someone who occasionally plays games when the situation allows, but that is pretty darn rare.

One of the highlights of my gaming life was finally realizing that the Druid class in WoW would only ever be a solid healer (midway through AQ40 back in Vanilla) and rerolling my main as a Dwarf Warrior on a PvP server (Sargeras) and playing Battlegrounds and just raiding for fun with my alt while my guild progressed through T3 Naxx (we stalled out on 4 horsemen, like many other guilds in Vanilla). 

Highlight of gaming:  Battlegrounds as a Warrior with Honor gear (back when you needed rank to get it).  It was hilarious to be beset by like 5 horde rogues, and just Overpower/Mortal Strike 2 shot them back-to-back-to-back.  My Paladin healing buddy said it was the most fun he had in WoW.  Good times (good to be young and have a lot of spare time!!!)

Oh Ice Crown Citadel for me, MM Hunter or SV back when they shot stuff.  Raid Leader got pressed by another
Hunter about why I did all the utility jobs. 

"Rorke gets it done, he works out what I need and he does it.  No questions, no whining he just works it out with no mistakes".

I felt better about that, than some praise in workplaces.  It was a hardcore mob, I'd serious issues about whether I was
good enough before that.  After I relaxed, and raised my game even more.  Loved that crew, damn shame when the big chief
disbanded it.

"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: 16 August 2021, 06:44:07 »
Oh Ice Crown Citadel for me, MM Hunter or SV back when they shot stuff.  Raid Leader got pressed by another
Hunter about why I did all the utility jobs. 

"Rorke gets it done, he works out what I need and he does it.  No questions, no whining he just works it out with no mistakes".

I felt better about that, than some praise in workplaces.  It was a hardcore mob, I'd serious issues about whether I was
good enough before that.  After I relaxed, and raised my game even more.  Loved that crew, damn shame when the big chief
disbanded it.

My favourite was on Naxx (WotLK), when I was raiding on my Pyro Mage, I know Arcane was the goto spec at the time, but I like pyro.

Got into Grobbulus, the one with the + crit and aggro reducing spores. My final words before we pulled the boss was "Race you to the top of the aggro table" talking to the other mage in the group. I'd stacked so much crit that I didn't bother with the spores, just nuked Grob. After the third time the boss ran over and smacked me I figured I'd just chill out for a while as the tanks kept building up aggro. Of course, I hear over TS "what was that about aggro? I can't wait until you're tanking again..."

Realised I'd just undone myself, as I usually MTd most raids (all progression raids) and just given every DPS in the guild carte blanche to make my life very hard.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #44 on: 27 September 2023, 18:17:10 »
Counter Strike 2... is Present tense

Counter Strike: GO is past tense.

Thoughts?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #45 on: 27 September 2023, 19:32:27 »
What I am wondering is what is your gaming experience like?
Do you play much?
Do you have set hours or is it random?
Do you play all of the latest games, or are you playing old atari 2600 titles, or something in between?
Do you have a social life and how much does it revolve around gaming (video games specifically but if you want to throw in table top as a seperate thing thats cool).
Do you use social media and to what extent does it involve gaming?

1.  I'm working up the courage to quit the mobile game I play "Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes" that requires waaayyy to much time each day.
    I happily still play the PC game StarCraft-2 a couple hours each week in small 20-60 minute windows.
2.  Several hours a day on the mobile one, a couple hours a week on the PC
3.  Set/Random both depending on when I have free time & when the game events are going on/ending.
4.  Very few games in total, but they end up being way too much time when its a "group" game with a guild & team events.
5.  I lost my social life when my best friend got me into my first MMO w/ a "Guild" 20 years ago, Everquest.
6.  No social media at all.

What kind of games do you like and on what kind of device?
What, if anything, do you like to snack and or drink while gaming?
Do you wear video or gaming tshirts?
Basically anything that you do that is connected to your gaming is of interest, even if its a matter of what your sitting on while gaming, or if you don't feel mobile games are "real" games.
1.  Ideally I'd have some basic form of Tic-Tac-Toe, Crossword, Tetris type game on my phone for a quick game when stuck at an airport or waiting to meet someone at a resturant.
In addition a home PC game that also doesn't involve a "Guild" or any other form of "needs a group/depends on others" game.  Just a simple me v/s the AI strategy game.
2.  Usually Soda/Water.  No food, gets on hands which gets on mouse/keyboard.
3.  I own a couple BT T-Shirts & only wear them if I'm going to my local FLGS for a BT Game.
4.  I'm not a fan of mobile games, I've played 2 & the whole "limited energy, play for short bursts but play multiple times a day, then have to buy crap w/ $$" aspect is not at all what I call "gaming"

A few specific questions:
Do you know of any mobile games, that you play on your phone or tablet, that are close to traditional games?
Nope.

What kind of mobile games do you play?
If its something like Clash of Clans or similar games how do you feel about them when compared to games that are not connected to the passage of time for "action points", such as playing Super Mario that flows freely.
Empires & Puzzles  (managed to quit)
Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes  (want to quit)
As noted, I hate the passage of time/energy regen etc effect that limits how often you can or have to play.

Do you watch other people play games on a streaming service?
I have heard of twitch and youtube, but only heard about facebook gaming in an article about a particular streamer that now has an exclusive deal with them.
No not really, only to figure out how to pass a tough event.  Not as a fan.

I don't know of any streamers. Can you name a few and why they are worth watching?
No

I have seen a few people on youtube who create content about video games, such as the angry video game nerd and rock and roll jesus ( I think was the name), but that's it.
I have seen a few documentaries on gaming recently and will check them later, but who do you watch?
Are there any well known content creators that you don't watch?
Is there something about them that makes you cringe?
No one regularly, just whoever has a "how to" for dealing w/ a tough fight.

What are some of the big MMOs out now?
I know WoW got restarted to its 2005 self and that people were waiting for hours to get into a few servers, but is there anything that is newer that people are playing?
I mean actual MMOs, not games claiming to be such even though its just 12 v 12 in matches like old counter strike.
No idea, between Everquest 20 years ago & WoW 10 years ago, I've burnt out on "Guild" based games that require group participation.

Do you own any of those Pops!, if so whats your favorite?

Favorite video game character? 
What's a Pops?
Guile from Street Fighter  (As a Vet I went with the Soldier)  or   Sub Zero from Mortal Combat  (I like freezing things)
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #46 on: 27 September 2023, 19:36:51 »
I might be a little late to be responding to a survey from three years ago...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 27 September 2023, 19:41:05 »
I might be a little late to be responding to a survey from three years ago...

Grognard...

azn
TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #48 on: 27 September 2023, 19:42:33 »
Guilty as charged! ;D

butchbird

• Master Sergeant
  • 'Just a Veteran Lurker
« Reply #49 on: 27 September 2023, 20:44:42 »
"What is the gaming experience like?"
Crippled by my kid. While I'm mostly a turn-based strategy gamer (which enables me to keep on gaming with said kid), I did like some more "atmospheric"  videogames. A few rpg series took a lot of my time in my teens (fallout 2 probably shaped my sense of humour more then I'd admit) and even later years, and I was a big fan of the "metro 2033" series, which I only got to play the first two. Bought my current computer (after nearly 18 years with my old pentium 4) as the cheapest possible rig that could play HBS battletech, MW5 and metro: last light.

"Play much?"
No.
Tabletop is pretty much once every two months on average with friends.
Familial board games with my little family at minimum once per week (including more then one game per session usually).
Play flames of war on an occasional basis (average once every 2 weeks) with my family (core rules for just vehicles is doable for young kid) as long as weather isn't particularly good. 'ts been a month and I need my fix.
Video games vary alot...5 hours per week on average i'd estimate.

"Hours of activity?"
Tabletop, from 11:00 in the morning 'till 21:00 is all good.
Videogames varies alot. If I'm playing during the week, around 20:00 to 21:00

"Latest videogames or old stuff?"

A few recent videogames. The battletech line-up and fields of glory II is pretty much all that comes to mind rapidly. For the rest, I'm a GOG.com guy, so that answers that part.
Still have my xbox360 as well as a genesis and super nintendo. I play those occasionally with the kid.

"Social life? Social gaming?"

Do I have a social life? I'm tempted to say no. Pretty much the only individual from my social circle with kids, 'xcept one guy who just got another, so we lost 'em for battletech for the next 2-3 years. Save for the occasional party, social gatherings involve battletech.

Once upon a time, when there were no kids, gaming was a big part of my social life though. Civilisation 4 must've been me and the wife's number 1 occupation. Axis and Allies (and battletech to a lesser degree...god knows I tried to get her interested, god knows she tried...but if it ain't purely realistic, she don't buy in, the kid locked her exit for those sessions) had a big part in our social life also...think our gaming group met every two weeks back then.

"Games and social media?"
This forum and talking about building up my FoW arsenal on facebook to keep writing and not lose my hand again...damn french language is beautifull and all, but needlessly complicated.

"Mobile games?"
Don't have cell phone/tablet.

"Watch people gaming on internet?"
No.

"Big MMOs now?"
I wouldn't know. But something of interest concerning online games.
I played two games online enough wirth mentioning: mechcommander and something pretty much nobody here would know of, a very basic free (quickly became "pay to win") strategy game called bahagon. Both took alot of time from my teens. Too much time.
BUT. Even after I stopped playing those, I did keep in touch for a long time with some of the other players I appreciated. Hell, from bahagon, I still have two penpals...and I stopped playing more then 15 years ago.

"Pops?"
Pops?

"Favourite video game character?"
Hard one...I'll go with Pavel, from metro: last light (the metro book series is darn good too)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 27 September 2023, 21:01:42 »
Try RuneScape... It's free, kid friendly and a MMO. Pay for membership is like $10 bucks a month per account. Go as a team, great way to have cross devices, even Mobile...

Also, it takes two people to do a few quests, some pretty hard. Great graphics, holiday seasonal, killer soundtracks and very customizable. Also some dark history here.

Oh and bad egrish!  :wink:

There's parental options to lock out most but there's a few that try.

Truetanker1

My handle...
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse