Author Topic: Damn... even Tom Hanks got Covid-19  (Read 18404 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Damn... even Tom Hanks got Covid-19
« Reply #150 on: 29 March 2020, 09:54:41 »
It depends.  If worn correctly (as in you've been trained in wearing an N95 mask) it's a reasonable piece of protective gear.  This is why it's in such demand for medical staff.

If you're not wearing it correctly, it's effectively a mudflap for your face.

No matter how well you wear the mask, the original statement is true. The mask does not stop you from catching it, but greatly helps in you not spreading it.

And THAT is the key, if EVERYONE wore a mask (as they did in South Korea) the spread would be greatly slowed, as it would not be transmitted, near as much.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #151 on: 29 March 2020, 09:56:56 »
If there were enough masks for everyone to use all the time, sure.  Last I heard, there simply aren't.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #152 on: 29 March 2020, 10:16:29 »
If there were enough masks for everyone to use all the time, sure.  Last I heard, there simply aren't.

I know, but that's what I am trying to say, it's the false sense of security average folks are going with over this stuff:

I wear a mask =/= I'm immune

I wear gloves =/= I'm immune

Example, at our local grocer, (like a lot of others), they have put up plexiglass to shield the tellers from errant coughs and sneezes. Additionally, the staff wear gloves (not the high end medical gloves, but the $5 for a 100 kind to die you hear, spray paint, etc), and at least the young man I talked to, was changing them after every customer.

But the kicker here is John-Q-Public should not be running around with high end medical gear. Leave that to the medical professionals.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/can-a-face-mask-protect-me-from-coronavirus-covid-19-myths-busted

https://www.consumerreports.org/coronavirus/do-you-need-a-mask-to-prevent-coronavirus/
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #153 on: 29 March 2020, 10:24:29 »
Agreed... isolation is the surest way to avoid catching it.  With no underlying health issues I'm personally not worried, and since my workplace is pretty much deserted, I'm more isolated when I go there than if I stay home.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #154 on: 29 March 2020, 10:46:12 »
The masks are supposed to be for the healthy. They are supposed to be for the infected so that they don't spread it by coughing/sneezing.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #155 on: 29 March 2020, 11:07:55 »
It's worth noting that the WHO and many North American media outlets were saying (or are still saying) that masks don't do much for the non-infected, and many people are still using that information as a guide.

However, in the past few days we've seen a bit of a turnaround as more studies are starting to suggest the opposite - that masks can actually reduce transmission rates when worn by everyone, especially when considering the number of asymptomatic individuals carrying the virus. For example, see:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2190272/

They can also serve the important role of acting as a physical reminder not to touch your face, as it can be a difficult habit to break, and can act as a visual reminder to maintain social distancing and act in a preventative manner if you see someone else wearing one.

All in all, masks help everyone and no one should be discouraged from wearing one. Hoarding should still be shunned, though.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #156 on: 29 March 2020, 11:25:08 »
Agreed... isolation is the surest way to avoid catching it.  With no underlying health issues I'm personally not worried, and since my workplace is pretty much deserted, I'm more isolated when I go there than if I stay home.

Yeah luckily my workplace is the left seat of a Cessna 177.  Most of the time the closest human contact I get is with the guy pumping gas.  However now since some of the airports offices are closed I am forced to overnight in a hotel, which increases my chances, even though they are doing their best to uber clean.  Which is a nice side effect really.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #157 on: 29 March 2020, 13:49:39 »
Glad not all sports are cancelled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUKMyeVgVb0

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #158 on: 29 March 2020, 14:11:10 »
Heh... the commentary makes all the difference...  ::)

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #159 on: 31 March 2020, 02:30:22 »
In the UK and just starting week two of lockdown

I would makes jokes about the zombie apocalypse outside but its not funny

Stay away from everyone and stay safe folks
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #160 on: 31 March 2020, 02:54:57 »
One of the GMs I play D&D with online just launched a zombie apocalypse game... well, I guess technically that happened yesterday.  It's fun- though we had to switch dice-rolling apps twice because the first two were giving us Hellbie Dice levels of crit fumbles.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #161 on: 31 March 2020, 03:06:08 »
Ouch... that's some horrible dice!  :o

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #162 on: 31 March 2020, 11:46:00 »
A single battle saw five successive fumbles.  And that wasn't the total number of fumbles.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #163 on: 02 April 2020, 15:47:11 »
Remember how the generations who lived through the Great Depression became known for never throwing anything away?  We may be remembered for always having a 4 month supply of toilet paper on hand. xp

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #164 on: 02 April 2020, 16:23:53 »
Or obsessively cleaning everything.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #165 on: 02 April 2020, 18:46:23 »
More likely just handwashing...  8)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #166 on: 04 April 2020, 11:02:31 »
I FOUND A STORE WITH TP THIS MORNING !!!!!!

All it took was being up at 6am to be at 2 stores by 715 & 745 respectively for the 3rd weekend in a row.

Seriously, working 5 days a week & not getting to the stores till 3PM or later in the afternoon was getting old, a month straight of no TP on the shelves.

I actually hit one in transit from work to home the other day in the middle of the week at 730AM and it was bone dry empty even though people had some in their carts.

Living solo that 12 rolls just extended my supply by several weeks so I can stop hitting up the stores 3x a week looking.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #167 on: 04 April 2020, 11:26:17 »
The chain of shortages have been interesting.  No TP then wipes, then paper towels, then bidets.  Trail mix goes, which results in peanuts, popcorn, and other ingredients being snapped up.  First it was oatmeal/rolled oats, now it's hard to find flour and yeast.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #168 on: 04 April 2020, 11:30:04 »
You go through 12 rolls of toilet paper in a matter of weeks?  You may need to see a doctor.  Or check how much you're using when you go.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #169 on: 04 April 2020, 11:54:41 »
Especially if you have facilities available at work.  I go through about one roll a month at home when I'm alone.  When the family's here, it's a whole different story.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #170 on: 04 April 2020, 13:39:19 »
Just got a swab stuck up my nose because of an ill timed respiratory infection and the fact that my niece (who lives in the same house) works at a laundromat. They tell me that I should hear back in two to four days.

In the meanwhile I get to be sick and confined. Yay.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #171 on: 04 April 2020, 13:41:12 »
Bummer!  Best of luck with the test (or rather, the symptoms)...

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #172 on: 04 April 2020, 15:36:49 »
You go through 12 rolls of toilet paper in a matter of weeks?

Especially if you have facilities available at work.  I go through about one roll a month at home when I'm alone.  When the family's here, it's a whole different story.

I did say "SEVERAL", LOL.
Couple = 2
Few = 3-6
Several = 7-10
When combined with working from home 100% now & my severe sinus allergies & substitution for Kleenex frequently, I'm thinking I'm doing ok.  But I'll be sure to check with my doctor  ::)
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #173 on: 04 April 2020, 16:57:38 »
Kleenexes are easier to find in stores.  People (surprisingly) don't appear to have started hoarding them.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #174 on: 04 April 2020, 17:29:28 »
Honestly you people laugh at toilet paper hoarders, but you really dont have enough toilet paper yourselves. The average person uses 1 roll per day. If you have a family of 4, that's 28 rolls a week. Over 100 a month. TP rolls will be worth their weight in gold in a few months, because everyone needs it.

don't @ me, it's a meme
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #175 on: 04 April 2020, 18:02:53 »
Don't forget the lotion because damn that's got to be one raw rear end using an entire roll a day. :D

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #176 on: 04 April 2020, 18:18:14 »
Unless you are a woman who pees A LOT, there's now way you should go through a roll a day. If you are a single man, a roll of TP could last you up to two weeks, especially if you are working and have facililties at work.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #177 on: 04 April 2020, 18:50:18 »
A month, I say.  I lived alone for three years not that long ago, and it was one roll a month.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #178 on: 04 April 2020, 19:18:51 »
We've got around sixty to seventy rolls in our house for seven people.

Most of which we already had before the crisis started. We bought eight rolls since then and gave four away to a family friend that was completely out.

Bummer!  Best of luck with the test (or rather, the symptoms)...

Thanks. The symptoms are pretty mild for me (any other circumstance I'd just take it easy for a couple of days and think nothing of it). If the test comes up positive though... like I said, there's seven people here (and one cat!) one of whom still works with the general public.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #179 on: 04 April 2020, 19:33:54 »
I hope the test comes back negative given those circumstances!