Author Topic: Graphics card for an old PC  (Read 1625 times)

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
Graphics card for an old PC
« on: 30 March 2020, 16:59:02 »
What's the most modern/powerful graphics card that I can pair with an old Sandybridge chip as a second gaming PC without being bottlenecked by the CPU/mobo?

The CPU is an i7-2700k overclocked to 4.5GHz and the mobo is an ASUS P8Z68-VPro/gen3.

Last time I tried to upgrade an Sandybridge machine I found it wouldn't take anything newer than a GTX680 but that was on an HP motherboard of uncertain chipset & BIOS
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Re: Graphics card for an old PC
« Reply #1 on: 01 April 2020, 20:21:04 »
Anything you are willing to spend money on: Modern games basically never bottleneck on the CPU.
« Last Edit: 18 April 2020, 16:08:08 by Goose »
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #2 on: 19 April 2020, 15:55:33 »
Thanks

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2020, 08:55:17 »
I recommend GTX 1660 (Super). Don’t cost too much but runs all games (I guess) in HD resolution. I replaced malfunctioning GTX 580 with it and I’m happy with it.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2020, 07:04:46 »
Anything you are willing to spend money on: Modern games basically never bottleneck on the CPU.

This is no longer true, several modern game engines such as CryEngine3 and Lumberyard extensively stress CPUs.

The days of GPU being the only bottleneck you worry about are long gone.

As for what GPU? That's relatively easy, what do you want to play on it? Although I'm not too aware of the price equivalence, I can second the call for a GTX 1660, it's a solid card that will be able to make use of the system.

You'll never run Star Citizen on it, but then again, I doubt anyone is going to run Retail Star Citizen, ever. :-P

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2020, 14:25:17 »
I'm aiming at this being a PC my son can game on when he visits so it needs to be able to cope with Warframe, Doom, and War Thunder for the most part, all at 1080p.
A GTX1660 super is at the top of my price range but I'm not in too much of a hurry so I can watch out for discounts.

My main concern was that the last time I had a machine of this age to upgrade (last autumn) I bought a 1650 for it and then found that the mobo wouldn't accept it and had to send it back. I've since learned that that was due to HP doing something weird with their BIOS and I shouldn't have any problems with a mainstream consumer mobo.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 23 April 2020, 03:29:54 »
I'm aiming at this being a PC my son can game on when he visits so it needs to be able to cope with Warframe, Doom, and War Thunder for the most part, all at 1080p.
A GTX1660 super is at the top of my price range but I'm not in too much of a hurry so I can watch out for discounts.

My main concern was that the last time I had a machine of this age to upgrade (last autumn) I bought a 1650 for it and then found that the mobo wouldn't accept it and had to send it back. I've since learned that that was due to HP doing something weird with their BIOS and I shouldn't have any problems with a mainstream consumer mobo.

For those games, I'd imagine a 1070 would do, should be a bit cheaper than a 1660 too.

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Goose

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #8 on: 23 April 2020, 17:15:55 »
looking at those prices I wish I was paying in US$

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2020, 02:37:35 »
looking at those prices I wish I was paying in US$

Me too!

Local pricing tends to be very different to the US pricing.  :-[

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2020, 07:30:18 »
I got used to $1 = £1 even though I didn't like it, but right now $ prices seem to be ~10-15 lower than £ prices on many things

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2020, 13:27:53 »
There was a drop-down for that, on the page …
Goose

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2020, 13:55:07 »
There was a drop-down for that, on the page …

That's what I used, and watched a $199.99 card become a £223.98 card even though by the exchange rates, $199.99 -> ~£162

It's probably a tax thing but it certainly makes me miss the days when I was visiting the US at least once a year and could time my upgrades accordingly.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2020, 19:02:28 »
That's what I used, and watched a $199.99 card become a £223.98 card even though by the exchange rates, $199.99 -> ~£162

It's probably a tax thing but it certainly makes me miss the days when I was visiting the US at least once a year and could time my upgrades accordingly.

Yep, same story here. It's called regional pricing, and it's not consistent, some items face incredible mark ups here, others less so based on how popular they are.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 24 April 2020, 19:17:18 »
you can always roll the dice with Aliexpress

it might be the real thing, and UK import fees might drastically affect pricing
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Register