Author Topic: Heavy Metal Software - Old Stuff?  (Read 4413 times)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
Heavy Metal Software - Old Stuff?
« on: 06 June 2020, 21:01:20 »
Amazingly, not a topic bashing the program!

I do have a question... what is the oldest version of the program we can get? Did it start on Windows 3.1 and work it's way up?
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
Re: Heavy Metal Software - Old Stuff?
« Reply #1 on: 07 June 2020, 09:19:45 »
The oldest version that I'm aware of was written for Win95/98 and released in 1999.  I still have the 3.5" floppy disk around somewhere.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #2 on: 07 June 2020, 12:14:04 »
The oldest version that I'm aware of was written for Win95/98 and released in 1999.  I still have the 3.5" floppy disk around somewhere.

That is so cool.

Is there anyway to get a hold of this? Maybe Rick has it laying around?
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 07 June 2020, 14:06:48 »
I found the disk. The label says it's version 4.00 for Windows, so there may have been an earlier Win3.1 version.  As far as availability, you'd need to contact Rick.  The oldest version for sale on his site is the most recent one from around 2007.

http://www.heavymetalpro.com/contact_us.htm

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #4 on: 07 June 2020, 15:03:48 »
That is so cool. I sent a message... hopefully I'll get something.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #5 on: 07 June 2020, 22:31:59 »
for your own retrotech PC build?
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #6 on: 07 June 2020, 22:32:48 »
for your own retrotech PC build?

Either that, or through a virtual PC or emulator.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 07 June 2020, 23:01:10 »
if you have one that runs on DOS you may run it under dosbox
and i was able to run it under campatibility mode on windows ultimate but not pro
did not try windows 10
but ...one of my friends got it run on linux box running windows emulation....
i still have the software somewhere not sure which version
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2020, 08:22:30 »
Either that, or through a virtual PC or emulator.

I admire that; going back to a version of windows you can trust.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2020, 08:33:17 »
Amazingly, not a topic bashing the program!

I do have a question... what is the oldest version of the program we can get? Did it start on Windows 3.1 and work it's way up?

I don't remember there being an official mech editor for the PC in the 3.x days.  I remember using one that you plugged the sheet details into a formatted text file and it would generate you a record sheet based on it, and that was pretty good for the time, but of course you had to still design the mechs yourself with a spreadsheet or pen and paper.

The big Record Sheet books (3026&3026, 3050, 3055&3058) had a note in the front about an official editor for Mac, but not PC.

According to the HMP website, Rick Raisley developed the first version of the software for DOS in 1993, started discussing the idea of licensing it with FASA in 1994 but they wanted a windows native version, which he initially submitted to them in 1995. The first licensed version of Heavy Metal came out in 1998.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #10 on: 08 June 2020, 15:54:45 »
I believe there was noting official, pre-Rick; I only half-remember something for Quarto Pro, in the '90s, found at cons.

My ancient MyCalc sheet didn't handle crits, ever, so … :-\
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 08 June 2020, 19:49:54 »
I admire that; going back to a version of windows you can trust.
The only version Windows I can actually "trust" is NT...  That OS did more than a six month deployment with me and only required TWO reboots...

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 08 June 2020, 22:18:13 »
I don't remember there being an official mech editor for the PC in the 3.x days.  I remember using one that you plugged the sheet details into a formatted text file and it would generate you a record sheet based on it, and that was pretty good for the time, but of course you had to still design the mechs yourself with a spreadsheet or pen and paper.

The big Record Sheet books (3026&3026, 3050, 3055&3058) had a note in the front about an official editor for Mac, but not PC.

According to the HMP website, Rick Raisley developed the first version of the software for DOS in 1993, started discussing the idea of licensing it with FASA in 1994 but they wanted a windows native version, which he initially submitted to them in 1995. The first licensed version of Heavy Metal came out in 1998.

Heavy Metal was the first official software I believe.

I remember when the Champions Blue Book came with a character generation program insider the cover, that was crazy for the time!
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #13 on: 09 June 2020, 01:37:20 »
Heavy Metal was the first official software I believe.

I wouldn't tell you if the Mac software they advertised in the old Record Sheet books ever actually got released, it just sticks out to me because back then it frustrated my friends and I - who used Macs outside of designers? The HMP about page claims that another person worked on an official PC-based one before Raisley but the project fell apart, so it's definitely a thing that was on FASA's radar by the mid-90s.

I remember when the Champions Blue Book came with a character generation program insider the cover, that was crazy for the time!

I had a similar feeling when I saw friends' copies of the B5Wars rules and ships compilations that came with bundled CDs of the contents as PDFs
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #14 on: 09 June 2020, 01:44:51 »
The previous one was The Drawing Board.  I remember trying to find out back in the day what happened to it, but I never found concrete info, just a vague note by the programmer on their (now almost certainly dead) website.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #15 on: 09 June 2020, 07:50:22 »
There were a number before the drawing board like BMD and mechworks. I didn’t get into the game until after windows-based designers were plentiful so I never used any of the DOS ones more than as a curiosity.

Sarna has a number of them in the downloads section but they’re incompatible with modern systems for the most part

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #16 on: 09 June 2020, 14:38:14 »
Grab some damn off-lease system running a 32-bit OS …
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 10 June 2020, 08:51:29 »
I believe there was noting official, pre-Rick; I only half-remember something for Quarto Pro, in the '90s, found at cons.

My ancient MyCalc sheet didn't handle crits, ever, so … :-\

I used to use MechEd, back in the day. It didn't do all the calculations, but was easy enough to use.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 20 June 2020, 17:42:42 »
I wouldn't tell you if the Mac software they advertised in the old Record Sheet books ever actually got released, it just sticks out to me because back then it frustrated my friends and I - who used Macs outside of designers?
Well as I come from a family of and married into another family with teachers, I got into Mac early on 8).  I might still have one on 1 of the 24+ year old laptop I use for gaming.  Not that they still can connect to a printer anymore.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Register