Author Topic: Looking for capable VTOLs for carrying Battle Armor  (Read 1007 times)

Vandervecken

• Master Sergeant
Looking for capable VTOLs for carrying Battle Armor
« on: 20 June 2020, 19:21:29 »
Can anyone recommend me the best/most common/most effective VTOLs for carrying Battle Armor? Anything from the Clan Invasion era through the Jihad era.
Looking for picks for all factions please.
I've already found the Anhur (which seems like the exemplar of this class of unit). Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Vandervecken

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: Looking for capable VTOLs for carrying Battle Armor
« Reply #1 on: 20 June 2020, 19:32:17 »
I have in the past had good use of Karnov and well Planetlifters to move and deploy large # of BA on selected battlefield.  Though they are not what you want when you are going to have extract under heavy hostile fire, but then again most VTOL don't like being sitting ducks for extractions.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #2 on: 20 June 2020, 19:32:42 »
Karnov's got configs that will take a lot of suits, look into it as well.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Vandervecken

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 20 June 2020, 19:34:06 »
The Karnov is perfect for my purposes, but more examples would always be good, thank you! What do folks think of the Cavalry Infantry-transport version? A 4-ton cargo bay could carry a lance of IS BA.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #4 on: 20 June 2020, 19:38:31 »
Here’s a pretty exhaustive list of Spheroid air assault VTOLs:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=40169.msg927628#msg927628

These days, I think most folks would recommend the Lamprey first, followed by the Cavalry (Infantry).

Be sure to take advantage of the TacOps rules regarding zip line deployment.  Allows you to deploy BA without landing or being restricted to jump-capable BA.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Vandervecken

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 20 June 2020, 19:45:21 »
That's a great thread for the Inner Sphere - got anything apart from the Anhur for the Clans?

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2020, 19:51:05 »
That's a great thread for the Inner Sphere - got anything apart from the Anhur for the Clans?

Cardinal?
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Vandervecken

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2020, 20:03:15 »
Cardinal?
Outside my era. Clan Invasion -> Jihad.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #8 on: 20 June 2020, 20:16:46 »
your choices are the two anhur variants

there are only 15 canon clan vtols so you're lucky there's even one

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #9 on: 20 June 2020, 20:21:02 »

I think the Anhur, Cardinal, and old Cobras, Karnovs, Kestrels, and Vectors are it for the Clanners.  A modern air assault VTOL has long been a hole in the Clan toumans.

Another list:

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Category:VTOLs
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Register