Author Topic: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA  (Read 142233 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Battletech Beatdowns in Northern VA
« Reply #1200 on: 25 July 2021, 02:10:26 »
Yeah, that's a problem with really small forces.  A lucky hit or two and it's all over.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #1201 on: 25 July 2021, 19:07:25 »
I organized a game earlier this summer at Huzzah via their Discord -- might be worth looking into cross-posting for maximum visibility.  I wasn't available yesterday, unfortunately, but I would have tried to shake free a few hours if I'd seen you had set up a game.  I'm not hereabouts very often sadly.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

DanghenWoolf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Incoming fire has the right of way.
« Reply #1202 on: 27 July 2021, 08:10:01 »
I organized a game earlier this summer at Huzzah via their Discord -- might be worth looking into cross-posting for maximum visibility.  I wasn't available yesterday, unfortunately, but I would have tried to shake free a few hours if I'd seen you had set up a game.  I'm not hereabouts very often sadly.

I didn't know they had a Discord, I do not see a link on their website. I did post in the BattleTech Discord though and another user said that they were local to HH so maybe the next game will have more people.

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1203 on: 27 July 2021, 10:13:58 »
Yeah, that's a problem with really small forces.  A lucky hit or two and it's all over.

I'm guessing speed and accuracy were supposed to triumph, and it was true that most of my shooting needed 10s or more.  The Hoplite probably could've threatened more 20+ pilot checks.

Issue was I was able to park the Catapult stationary with a view over the treetops, so it could hit reasonably often and threaten most of the board.  And approaching it meant being in threat range of the Cyclops, and its AC/20.  Unfortunately, the Catapult scored multiple head hits on the Hoplite fairly quickly.

By then the Wolfhound already committed hard to changing the tide in any way it could, and started to overheat hard and found itself backed in a corner.  Heat stripped its evasion and it soon met its demise.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1204 on: 27 July 2021, 19:16:45 »
Yep, that'll do it too...  8)

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1205 on: 28 August 2021, 10:02:42 »
So I have a bunch of vehicle minis I'd like to try out.

I could field about 4k BV of vees, mostly light assets.  It actually comes out to 3.9k, I could fluff it a bit with two or so platoons of mech infantry.  I'd be willing to house rule that infantry ignore the initiative track and just move last, so they aren't just initiative sinks.  I'm not super knowledgeable on the infantry rules, though.

Not sure exactly when, just seeing if there's any interest (nobody's posted in a month), will probably be at Huzzah.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1206 on: 28 August 2021, 10:41:15 »
It's been a rough month with the COVID resurgence.  Also, I check back in to the Pentagon next week.  We'll see how that impacts my free time, but I don't expect any good result...

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #1207 on: 29 August 2021, 09:05:28 »
So I have a bunch of vehicle minis I'd like to try out.

I could field about 4k BV of vees, mostly light assets.  It actually comes out to 3.9k, I could fluff it a bit with two or so platoons of mech infantry.  I'd be willing to house rule that infantry ignore the initiative track and just move last, so they aren't just initiative sinks.  I'm not super knowledgeable on the infantry rules, though.

Not sure exactly when, just seeing if there's any interest (nobody's posted in a month), will probably be at Huzzah.

I'd be willing to fight that battle.

Tinyozora

• Warrant Officer
  • House Jurai
« Reply #1208 on: 29 August 2021, 12:37:27 »
There's also a new Alpha Strike group starting up for games at Creative Pursuit Games in Leesburg.  "NoVA Regiment: Battletech Group" on FB.

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1209 on: 29 August 2021, 19:16:05 »
I'd be willing to fight that battle.

That's good.  I'm free wednesdays and saturdays, probably meet around noon.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #1210 on: 29 August 2021, 22:13:30 »
Weekends are my best option, but my father in law is flying in on Saturday for the Labor Day weekend so that won't work.  Are you free on the 11th?

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1211 on: 30 August 2021, 09:53:37 »
Yeah, we could do the 11th.  I'll try to reserve a table today or tomorrow.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #1212 on: 30 August 2021, 12:15:46 »
What year/tech level are your Vees?  I'll match it.  Also, how many units?
« Last Edit: 30 August 2021, 15:01:34 by The Eagle »

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1213 on: 30 August 2021, 18:44:43 »
About six vees, half tracked half hovers, and a VTOL.  Maybe two platoons of mech infantry.  All intro/succession wars tech.

It feels like a bit much for a mere 4k bv, but I'd also imagine a vee getting immobilized or otherwise knocked out into forced withdrawal each turn or so.  I might be able to trade up a tank or two or the vtol for another heavier tank.

I've also grabbed the reservation at Huzzah, Noon on the 11th.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1214 on: 30 August 2021, 18:51:31 »
I don't know yet if I can make it, but it does sound interesting!  :thumbsup:

Space Cat

• Corporal
« Reply #1215 on: 25 September 2021, 09:31:13 »
So this popped in to my head today: We never came up with a color scheme for the Huzzah Hussars (or whatever we're calling the merc company these days). I am now accepting recommendations. Tinyzora, as always, has suggested oranges, greens, and purples...very New Orleans.  Let me know what color combinations/patterns you think would suit the force.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1216 on: 25 September 2021, 10:05:19 »
I'm good with standard camo, personally.   :thumbsup:

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #1217 on: 25 September 2021, 12:01:09 »
Anyone available at Huzzah next Saturday the 2nd, say at noon?  I had to cancel a few weeks ago on Dapper Apples due to illness, but I'm better now and ready to roll dice.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1218 on: 25 September 2021, 12:12:07 »
I won't know until my wife comes home tomorrow...

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1219 on: 25 September 2021, 17:31:23 »
So this popped in to my head today: We never came up with a color scheme for the Huzzah Hussars (or whatever we're calling the merc company these days). I am now accepting recommendations. Tinyzora, as always, has suggested oranges, greens, and purples...very New Orleans.  Let me know what color combinations/patterns you think would suit the force.

Orange would be novel.  Either that or we'd look like a squad of construction/loadermechs : P

Anyone available at Huzzah next Saturday the 2nd, say at noon?  I had to cancel a few weeks ago on Dapper Apples due to illness, but I'm better now and ready to roll dice.

I could be game for that.  We could play out the scenario we put together before, or something new.  Your call.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #1220 on: 25 September 2021, 19:37:11 »
Orange would be novel.  Either that or we'd look like a squad of construction/loadermechs : P

I could be game for that.  We could play out the scenario we put together before, or something new.  Your call.

I wasn't sure you'd be up for it, but yeah -- let's do that!  I still have the army list for that around here somewhere.

The Eagle

• Captain
« Reply #1221 on: 03 October 2021, 06:21:29 »
Many thanks to Dapper Apples for the game yesterday!  Good fun and a great refresher!

Dapper Apples

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1222 on: 05 October 2021, 16:23:58 »
Yeah it was a good game.

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #1223 on: 03 November 2021, 08:10:42 »
Any of you guys heard anything about Historicon this year? Not seeing anything in the Vendor List for IWMs/CGL, or anything Battletech in the Events in a skim of that list.
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1224 on: 03 November 2021, 09:31:31 »
Any of you guys heard anything about Historicon this year? Not seeing anything in the Vendor List for IWMs/CGL, or anything Battletech in the Events in a skim of that list.

There are no Battletech events listed in the Preliminary Events List (PEL).  Thus far, IWM does not have a booth at Historicon and I don't expect them to make a showing since we're only a week away from the convention.

I will be bringing my BT stuff and try to find a table for some open gaming for any who are looking to do some rockem sockem robots.
« Last Edit: 03 November 2021, 09:52:18 by Jester006 »
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

billtfor3

• Lieutenant
  • Smashing Liao and Kurita since 3025!
« Reply #1225 on: 03 November 2021, 09:53:28 »
There are no Battletech events listed in the Preliminary Events List (PEL).  There is no list of vendors because as of last week the deadline for vendors to sign up was still open; which doesn't bode well if they are still scrounging for vendors this late.

I will be bringing my BT stuff and try to find a table for some open gaming for any who are looking to do some rockem sockem robots.

Cool, I doubt I'll be coming as the Vendor booth was the major draw for me, especially for the off chance I might snag a Strana Mechty Battle Mat which I need a second of...  A shame with BT making the resurgence it has that they aren't supporting the Con.
SGT Mark McKinnon, Recon Lance McKinnon's Company, 7th Crusis Lancers, Federated Suns

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #1226 on: 03 November 2021, 19:31:32 »
I'm currently at Level BROKE when it comes to money, so no Historicon for me this year.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1227 on: 05 November 2021, 06:13:21 »
Greetings,

I just got my orders cut, so I'll be moving back from Uzbekistan to the DC area in August 2022 for a two year assignment.  I'm a former FanPro Commando and I've got a huge pile of minis, terrain, mapsheets, etc. that'll be dumped at my doorstep probably by October.  Just putting this here as a marker, but I'd love to get involved with a regular group while I'm in the area.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Tinyozora

• Warrant Officer
  • House Jurai
« Reply #1228 on: 05 November 2021, 12:43:05 »
Greetings,

I just got my orders cut, so I'll be moving back from Uzbekistan to the DC area in August 2022 for a two year assignment.  I'm a former FanPro Commando and I've got a huge pile of minis, terrain, mapsheets, etc. that'll be dumped at my doorstep probably by October.  Just putting this here as a marker, but I'd love to get involved with a regular group while I'm in the area.
Always good to have more here, what with the comings and goings we frequently have.  It's definitely a wax and wane based on who is willing to be the main organizer.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1229 on: 05 November 2021, 19:15:35 »
Hopefully Spacecat will be around long enough to get us together at least once before he departs...  :)