Author Topic: Favorite hauler for assault BA (Inner Sphere, Clan, and Comstar/WoB)?  (Read 742 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Assault BA suits tend to be tough and well-armed, but they're also slow and unable to use omni transportation.  As such, they need dedicated vehicle transports if they want to get anywhere on a battlefield.  What are some of the better/personal favorites for this duty?  Using both the standard and optional rules for transporting BA regarding infantry bay size.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

DaevaHuG0

• Recruit
  • Not a Poltergeist
Personally I like vtols for BA deployment, so I tend to use a Shun or a Cardinal. The Shun has 12 tons of infantry space, stealth armour, tag, and a pair of mag shots linked to a targeting computer. The Cardinal has 10 tons of infantry space, a lrm 5, an lbx 2 and a pair of ap gauss rifles.

Charistoph

• Major
The good news is you only need a max of 6t in order to carry Battle Armor, and only 4 for most Inner Sphere.

The one downside to VTOL carriers is that they have to land in order for most Assault BA to disembark.

The next most mobile are Hovers.  However, a good forest can pretty much leave them boxed in.  Wheeled and Tracked are the next options. 

Wheeled transports are even more limited than Hovers, as they aren't Amphibious, while also having little more speed (if any) than the Tracked Transports.

Tracked don't have many limitations in where they can go, but they tend to be the slowest options.

If they could Mechanize, I would say the Bandit is an excellent option for Inner Sphere or Clan.  They can't, though, so those aren't as effective.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
It's too bad we don't have the option I'd say is most logical from a cost/investment perspective;  An armored flatbed truck with reinforced benches.  Battlesuits come with their OWN armor, the problem has always been moving them fast enough to use them, and most of the vehicles for doing so, are enclosed and prevent them from both using their weapons while embarked, and slows down deployment at the arrival since they  have to go through a door.

Take something like the old M3 or the german half-tracks from the 2nd World War, give it a bigger engine to go faster, and a pintle mount support weapon-you could even have the cab armored with a turret, but the key cost here would be converting a commercial truck with an armored skid-plate, steel benches and sidewalls that let the suits hop over 'em (or drop to form ramps).

NOBODY does this, not in the fiction, not in the game, but it's the most obvious choice, since you only need a Prime Mover and a few minutes to hours with a welding kit.

(admittedly, done right, this gives you a 'transport' vehicle for your suits that costs less than any one of the suits it's carrying...)
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow

Thinking from a Clanner’s perspective, are there any options with a 10-ton or larger infantry compartment or cargo bay besides the Aithon, Cardinal, and Saladin (Clan Cargo)?  (Unless the Clan unit steals some Spheroid transport design.)  None of those those really light my fire.

In terms of 5-ton infantry compartment options, I’ve always been partial to the Eldingar.  The ATMs and SRMs have a decent close-range punch during BA deployment, and the ATMs can still hit from a safe distance after BA deployment.  Better close-range punch and more armor than the Tyr.  Svantovit is marginally faster, but under gunner and grossly underarmored.  The Bandit (Clan) C is worthy of mention for its trio of pulse mediums.

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Okay, I play Alpha Strike, so the assaults are CAR4/5/6, not more.

My favourite for Inner Sphere squads is the Manteuffel  D. Two squads inside, one (not necessarily assault) on the outside. Talk about armoured! Useful support armament (LPPC & LRM10), but won't tempt the tank into combat. The Main Gauche IFV is a faster alternative, albeit for one squad; usefully tough, and the plasma cannon is a great equaliser. The Bandit H carries two squads inside, optional on the outside.

For WoB, you're spoiled for choice - the Trajan, Bolla, and Magi UICV. Bolla gets the double-play option too.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Charistoph

• Major
It's too bad we don't have the option I'd say is most logical from a cost/investment perspective;  An armored flatbed truck with reinforced benches.  Battlesuits come with their OWN armor, the problem has always been moving them fast enough to use them, and most of the vehicles for doing so, are enclosed and prevent them from both using their weapons while embarked, and slows down deployment at the arrival since they  have to go through a door.

Take something like the old M3 or the german half-tracks from the 2nd World War, give it a bigger engine to go faster, and a pintle mount support weapon-you could even have the cab armored with a turret, but the key cost here would be converting a commercial truck with an armored skid-plate, steel benches and sidewalls that let the suits hop over 'em (or drop to form ramps).

NOBODY does this, not in the fiction, not in the game, but it's the most obvious choice, since you only need a Prime Mover and a few minutes to hours with a welding kit.

(admittedly, done right, this gives you a 'transport' vehicle for your suits that costs less than any one of the suits it's carrying...)

Part of the reason is that if that Flatbed Truck is shot, it will be destroyed.  That leaves a 33% chance of the Infantry unit inside of dying for what the Damage of a LRM-5 or an LRM-10 can provide (Total Warfare pg 223-224).

If one can provide a reasonable assumption that Flatbed Truck would be unmolested till it reached the Deployment point, it's a perfectly good idea, but anyone who knows that cheap and fragile vehicle is carrying an annoying/terrifying squad of nigh-immortal BA (relatively speaking) will put more than enough fire in to wiping it out leaving that BA either hoofing it, or dead in their transport.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
What are some of the better/personal favorites for this duty? 

I can only answer for the "favorites" part in saying that my own A-BA Transports are almost exclusively the Maxim (CAR-4/12) & Karnov (CAR-6/8) in any game I play.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Being that the flat-bed truck doesn't carry cargo internally, I'm fairly certain the BA would survive its destruction (albeit, hoofing it, as described).  The trucks are so cheap, I think they'd still be worth the investment.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
In my head-canon, I distinguish between tactical deployment, and logistic deployment. The latter is thin-skinned transport, to get the BA from point A to point B in good time. A subset of this could be use of fast hovers or VTOLs to deploy heavier BA in blocking positions, or lighter BA into spotting/ambush positions, ahead of actual engagement.

Most BT games are, I imagine, using tactical deployment, where the need is for a relatively thick-skinned transport that can survive with the battle going on around it. Hellraiser, how do your Karnovs survive when the heat is on?
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Luciora

• Major
I like the Maxim and had good experience with the heavy wheeled. 

AlphaMirage

• Major
My Karnovs and Anhurs survive because they move fast, assault BA are not really tactical deployment units IMO, they are defensive area denial assets. If I needed to get BA into a fight I'm doing it on an Omnivehicle/mech or hover IFV like the Maxim.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Heavy APCs are cheap and do the job well enough... that said, Worktroll has a really good point too! :)

RifleMech

• Major
Being that the flat-bed truck doesn't carry cargo internally, I'm fairly certain the BA would survive its destruction (albeit, hoofing it, as described).  The trucks are so cheap, I think they'd still be worth the investment.

I know there's rule for flatbed railcars but where they expanded to include flatbed trucks?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
In AlphaStrike, one can exchange CT (cargo transport) for IT (infantry transport) by agreement before a game. I don't know page references for similar in TW, but expect they're in one of the supplements (probably TO?) Either way, I imagine welding tubing for the suits to hang onto should be simple enough ;)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
In my head-canon, I distinguish between tactical deployment, and logistic deployment. The latter is thin-skinned transport, to get the BA from point A to point B in good time. A subset of this could be use of fast hovers or VTOLs to deploy heavier BA in blocking positions, or lighter BA into spotting/ambush positions, ahead of actual engagement.

You've now got me picturing a squad of Kanazuchis awkwardly squeezed onto a bullet train.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Charistoph

• Major
In AlphaStrike, one can exchange CT (cargo transport) for IT (infantry transport) by agreement before a game. I don't know page references for similar in TW, but expect they're in one of the supplements (probably TO?) Either way, I imagine welding tubing for the suits to hang onto should be simple enough ;)

Even with that, we need rules for them getting out of said Flat Bed like Mechanized while not being actually Mechanized, rather than just assuming they exist.  It's not like the CAR rules in Alpha Strike allow the Infantry to get out easier than a normal Infantry Bay.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
Hellraiser, how do your Karnovs survive when the heat is on?
Surprisingly well actually  :smilie_happy_thumbup:

Of course, I tend to use Flank Speed (or Sprint if that rule is in use) and blocking terrain for a turn or 2 to get them to deployment point & then RUN AWAY RUN AWAY for the rest of the game to my own backfield & hide.

I use my Karnovs for their large cargo room & ability to go over hills/trees, but if they heat is on, they drop & hide.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Hellraiser

• Colonel
Heavy APCs are cheap and do the job well enough... that said, Worktroll has a really good point too! :)

Agreed on both counts.

Heavy APC isn't something I normally run in my games but its for sure something I fluff as most Militia using.

Meanwhile WT mentioned the Mantef-D above which is a beast & I love it, but, I also don't own the mini & would find some issue with justifying my cheapo mercs having access to them with their "new" (for the CI/CW eras) production limited house access & pricey XL engine when those mercs can use ICE powered cheapo Maxims/Karnovs that are more effective than the Heavy APC lines but also not touching the XL-HeavyOmni pricetag either.

That said, for a 1-off game playing FedCom House unit in the Jihad,  oh yes, please, she is PURTY.

« Last Edit: 27 April 2024, 22:40:06 by Hellraiser »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
Meanwhile WT mentioned the Mantef-D above which is a beast & I love it, but, I also don't own the mini & would find some issue with justifying my cheapo mercs having access to them with their "new" (for the CI/CW eras) production limited house access & pricey XL engine when those mercs can use ICE powered cheapo Maxims/Karnovs that are more effective than the Heavy APC lines but also not touching the XL-HeavyOmni pricetag either.

All my Manteuffels are MW:DA minis, which are reasonably sized enough for use, especially with Alpha Strike.

The Ds each carry 2 squads of Kopis internally, and each tank carries a Kopi squad on the outside. Kopis converted from MW:DA Centaurs.

Maelwys

• Major
For WoB, you're spoiled for choice - the Trajan, Bolla, and Magi UICV. Bolla gets the double-play option too.

I like the WoB Pinto as well. 6 ton bay with 10/15 movement. And of course, the WoB Heavy wheeled APC is a ode to excess. Though the basic Transports work as well.

Do you like the Magic UICV? Not sure how it plays in AS but I always wince at the thought of it adding to the c3i costs of other units when I think about it.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Is there something different about the WoB Heavy APC?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
Moves 7/11 and carries a pair of small VSPLs.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Ah, thanks!  That would be pretty handy...

Maelwys

• Major
Is there something different about the WoB Heavy APC?

7/11 XL engine, Heavy Ferro-Fibrous armor and twin Small VSPs, which were advanced at the time and very odd to see in a "basic" TRO.

There's also the Prowler with its 6 ton infantry bay, but I always consider that one more of a objective than a combat unit :)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
REally, for schlepping canon battlesuits, pretty much ANY APC variant is fine, as long as it has the capacity.  Some are better thought out than others, or more expensive, or both.

But in general, anything that can keep up with your 'mechs will work.  I like VTOL insertion for specific, mission-based games, where speed and unexpected appearance are useful or where an objective can be taken by bypassing the enemy's main battle line, I prefer hovers in swamp or maps with lots of water/ground mix that make walking difficult, wheels for urban (or where C-bill prices actually matter), tracks for everywhere else.

beyond that, 'best' really depends on the rest of your force and doctrine, the mission you're playing out, and the conditions.  (you don't take VTOL or Hover in hard vacuum or under water).

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
All my Manteuffels are MW:DA minis, which are reasonably sized enough for use, especially with Alpha Strike.

The Ds each carry 2 squads of Kopis internally, and each tank carries a Kopi squad on the outside. Kopis converted from MW:DA Centaurs.

1-  Didn't know they ever had a Mante in DA, must have been after I quit playing.

2-  Oh I'm so sad, the Centaur is so cool and you gutted them, lol

Looks amazing btw.  Good Stuff!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
7/11 XL engine, Heavy Ferro-Fibrous armor and twin Small VSPs, which were advanced at the time and very odd to see in a "basic" TRO.

It wasn't a basic TRO.  That was a Jihad-era variant built by the WoB, who were the ones that first came up with VSPLs in the first place.  Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged was a Jihad-era revision of the original record sheets for TRO 3060 that featured new upgrades of existing designs that took advantage of the new technology that had been rolled out in the 15 or so year since those units had been first unveiled.

RifleMech

• Major

They can do that in TW although I'm not sure where it says that at the moment. I was referring to the flatbed being outside part. As far as I can recall, the bed of a truck counts as internal cargo space.

Maelwys

• Major
It wasn't a basic TRO.  That was a Jihad-era variant built by the WoB, who were the ones that first came up with VSPLs in the first place.  Record Sheets: 3060 Unabridged was a Jihad-era revision of the original record sheets for TRO 3060 that featured new upgrades of existing designs that took advantage of the new technology that had been rolled out in the 15 or so year since those units had been first unveiled.

I must admit, I thought it was more unique, but the MUL shows like 30 units with advanced tech from that TRO.  So not as unique in that aspect. Still, it comes across as a nice little excessive piece of tech that I like. And just wince at the cost/BV :)