Author Topic: How’s the 3D Printing Working Out?  (Read 20566 times)

Spector

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • Sunlight is vastly overrated!
Re: How’s the 3D Printing Working Out?
« Reply #90 on: 12 September 2013, 22:30:10 »
The question I have is, why are we talking about pre painted minis on a thread about 3D printing? Sounds like this should be its own topic.
*Insert clever saying/quote here*

Agent #333

Wolverine

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #91 on: 13 September 2013, 01:04:28 »
roger that,

however it is possible to create a 3D plastic part with colored plastic material, a rather limited color selection and not sure if you can mix colors on the same piece with much degree of control other than as horizontal stripes, but I've made mockup parts that way, I prefer to just airbrush the parts myself tho.

J
"It's called the Awesome for a very good reason"

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #92 on: 13 September 2013, 09:25:08 »
Currently the Spectral LRM Kickstarter project is the experimentation with using CAD to 3D print the Masters. So far the results have been great, I saw the 3D printed parts for the Pwwka when I was out for GenCon and they looked great. There may be some other CAD to 3D Printed masters next year but its not going to be every mini done. It will be a case by case basis for when we finalize the 2014 release schedule.

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: 13 September 2013, 11:09:19 »
Currently the Spectral LRM Kickstarter project is the experimentation with using CAD to 3D print the Masters. So far the results have been great, I saw the 3D printed parts for the Pwwka when I was out for GenCon and they looked great. There may be some other CAD to 3D Printed masters next year but its not going to be every mini done. It will be a case by case basis for when we finalize the 2014 release schedule.

Speck,
The last Kickstarter update brought up the speed of 3D printing all the (dozens of) parts for the LAMs. Can you comment on the speed of going from concept to mold-master with with digital sculptors/3D vs. traditional sculptors and greens? (I presume that things are the same, once you have the masters)

I would love to hear what you guys have found.

(I will understand if you can't share that information.)

wasp

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #94 on: 13 September 2013, 15:01:11 »
I believe that generic plastic painted mechs are a good idea for getting another group of people into the game. 

I think the best things about the miniatures aspect of Battletech is A>it is not WYSWYG B> canon paint schemes are pretty vague for personal interpretation and C> custom schemes are encouraged too.

That pretty much covers every sort of player type, the gamer, the hobbyist, the person with 100s of minis or the poor guy that might only have a couple of mechs or just the box set. 

I think the CGL and IWM have got things figured out.  Besides, as WT said, who knows what they have in the works.

Wasp

ThatPirateGuy

• Sergeant
« Reply #95 on: 13 September 2013, 16:47:44 »
I think one area where 3d printing might be useful is in omni parts. I would definitely love to be able to build and paint wysiwyg variants.
Release the Reptar mini! Or I shall have to make it myself.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #96 on: 13 September 2013, 17:57:43 »
Reading how many parts are getting made, I do hope the LAMs don't have the same problems as a certain reseen marauder.

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #97 on: 14 September 2013, 04:19:06 »
Nothing to see. Move along...
« Last Edit: 14 September 2013, 04:46:28 by GunjiNoKanrei »

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #98 on: 14 September 2013, 08:52:19 »
Reading how many parts are getting made, I do hope the LAMs don't have the same problems as a certain reseen marauder.

When I assembled the prototype Waneta it went together pretty easy. Had to take my time and make use of some sticky tack to hold parts while they dried.