Author Topic: Web Only Previews  (Read 23134 times)

Fletch

• Captain
Re: Web Only Previews
« Reply #30 on: 25 February 2015, 04:57:37 »
Minimal.

Reason is that the Arion has a lot of parts.  Like a lot.  This is not going to be a beginners miniature.  The only parts difference between the two modes is the feet/stowed feet.  2 Unique parts to the tank mode, 4 small feet for the 'Mech mode. 

As soon as the master copies are cast and sent to me, I plan on writing up a how to assemble guide, that hopefully some of my camospecs friends can get posted over there.

Speck may be able to comment more. If the parts have been cast (which, to my knowledge, they have not been), they would have a better idea.

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.  Hopefully it is easier than putting together some of the chicken walkers.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #31 on: 25 February 2015, 08:12:51 »
All of those look great. I can't wait to add the Grand Summoner and Arctic Wolf to my stars. My only complaint is that the missile pods on the Arctic Wolf look a little small to me. Maybe it's just the angle?

You are probably looking at the A, B or C Variants.  All of them only have an SRM 4 on each shoulder, so they have smaller missile pods.  From there, the prime variant does have the larger pods you would expect from the art or from Mechwarrior 4.

Thanks for the quick response, much appreciated.  Hopefully it is easier than putting together some of the chicken walkers.

I honestly am hoping too... as soon as I have a mini in hand I will let everyone know :)

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #32 on: 25 February 2015, 10:18:35 »
Now...before anyone harps on me for it, yes...I know, things are done certain ways just because they are requested to. I'm just a purist and love to see the miniature be "correct" for the status rather than the WizKidz miniatures.
Looking at the renderings, would it be possible to just file down the shoulder laser mounts for the varients that don't use them? (Ooops!  Looks like Stinger and Worktroll both beat me to this suggestions).   :-[

The 3D printed parts are at IWM and I think molds are inprocess.
Yeah!  Make plenty, I'm going to want at least ten...   :D
« Last Edit: 25 February 2015, 10:24:04 by mdauben »
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 25 February 2015, 14:14:49 »
I noticed that these are 3D printed.  Awesome!

I just want to be clear on one thing.  To make the Arion in vehicle mode and in walking mode, I will have to buy two?  I’m fine with that by the way, just want to plan my purchases.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: 25 February 2015, 14:25:33 »
I noticed that these are 3D printed.  Awesome!

I just want to be clear on one thing.  To make the Arion in vehicle mode and in walking mode, I will have to buy two?  I’m fine with that by the way, just want to plan my purchases.

The master models are 3D printed and then cast like normal minis, kinda like the Ares tripods or any number of new models such as the new Black Knight or the Shockwave.

And yep, buy 2.

Glad you like them!

BCullen

• Private
« Reply #35 on: 25 February 2015, 16:55:47 »
You are probably looking at the A, B or C Variants.  All of them only have an SRM 4 on each shoulder, so they have smaller missile pods.  From there, the prime variant does have the larger pods you would expect from the art or from Mechwarrior 4.

I was actually referring to the Prime (my favorite variant). They just seem a bit small compared to the art, but again, it might just be the angle.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #36 on: 25 February 2015, 23:05:51 »
I am shuddering in delight at these previews.  the Chimera was a real surprise, I did not realize Resculpting that was on the docket.  I always hated the aestheteic of the mech, now I might have to get at least that second variant if it looks good on the camo specs picture.

my wife is squaling for the star of Thor IIs we will end up having in various configurations.
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #37 on: 26 February 2015, 07:37:53 »
For some reason, the previews don't excite me.  I suspect it is due to them being renders so I will eagerly await pics of minis to make a judgement. And I will most likely be getting the missile boat Thor. For some reason I've always liked that one.

Will these be sized the same as the 3050 clan omnis? It would be nice to have these additional arms and missile pods for the older stuff.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 26 February 2015, 07:52:08 »
For some reason, the previews don't excite me.  I suspect it is due to them being renders so I will eagerly await pics of minis to make a judgement. And I will most likely be getting the missile boat Thor. For some reason I've always liked that one.

Will these be sized the same as the 3050 clan omnis? It would be nice to have these additional arms and missile pods for the older stuff.

I can't 100% say how tall it will be in comparison, but I can tell you that this mini is 46mm tall to the top of the cockpit, and, checking the QCC forum, the plastic Thor was 48mm tall to the top of the cockpit.  So a little shorter, but in relative scale with the 3050 Thor and Loki. It will likely appear large compared to the Mad Cat/Vulture/Daishi/Warhawk because they are all a little smaller than most of the current stuff.  I'd take it to be in scale with the Mad Cat IV, Vulture IV, the upcoming Vulture III.

That's the best I can give for now until I have an actual mini in hand (cross my fingers: Should be soon).

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 26 February 2015, 08:57:11 »
To be honest, the Chimera was something that I personally wanted to do, and IWM was okay with making the mini, so bam! We now have a new Chimera.

The sword was originally mocked up to be a traditional Sword in Fist, but we on the QCC forum decided to go with a Celestial-inspired under-slung blade.  And man did it turn out good.  A shout out to Dak and Gunji for all of the help on that thing.  I couldn't have done it without you guys!

Iron weight "Celestial-inspired under-slung blade" used for K-mech kuritan design?  :o  Really weird choice.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: 26 February 2015, 09:36:59 »
Iron weight "Celestial-inspired under-slung blade" used for K-mech kuritan design?  :o  Really weird choice.

S-T, I originally used your Chimera with sword as inspiration, take a look at an early render:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/miniatures/more-sworders-(wink)/msg646136/#msg646136

But we all agreed that putting the humanoid arm on such a non-humanoid 'Mech didn't just seem right, so I mocked up the underslug blade, and that one with everyone's opinion.

Nonetheless, thank you for the inspiration!
« Last Edit: 26 February 2015, 09:40:27 by Stinger »

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #41 on: 26 February 2015, 10:46:56 »
I'm definitely going to get one of each of those Chimeras for my C3 SoL Company. I just gotta figure out where the $$$ is going to come from.  :-[
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

TheDean

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 26 February 2015, 12:34:38 »
So very excited. Thank you!

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 26 February 2015, 12:54:24 »
S-T, I originally used your Chimera with sword as inspiration, take a look at an early render:
But we all agreed that putting the humanoid arm on such a non-humanoid 'Mech didn't just seem right, so I mocked up the underslug blade, and that one with everyone's opinion.
Nonetheless, thank you for the inspiration!

And thank you for an answer too, Stinger.  O0

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #44 on: 26 February 2015, 13:06:16 »
So the two Chimera sculpts aren't on the release schedule post. What else are you hiding from us Speck?  ;)
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 26 February 2015, 13:25:02 »
So the two Chimera sculpts aren't on the release schedule post. What else are you hiding from us Speck?  ;)

Just wait for Gencon, Baron...   ;D

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #46 on: 26 February 2015, 13:42:00 »
But we all agreed that putting the humanoid arm on such a non-humanoid 'Mech didn't just seem right, so I mocked up the underslug blade
A tonfa-blade style would keep the hand occupied, fitting more with the rules.
http://www.tonfa.org/tonfa-blades

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 26 February 2015, 14:59:09 »
A tonfa-blade style would keep the hand occupied, fitting more with the rules.
http://www.tonfa.org/tonfa-blades

Milspec article about that version of Chimera, say: "sword"
And, because Independent Weaponry made in before introduction of Celestial series, the first five prototypes definitely had No-Dachi-style swords. But... IW plant been destroyed, and new Chimeras been made some time later, close to the end of Jihad, and by Kressly Warworks, which, as former blakist plant, could use fixed Retractable blades instead.

I have no qualms about type of handheld weapon, but, I suppose, it need some refining, and detailing -

Just make it prettier, Stinger, please. 

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: 26 February 2015, 15:59:38 »
Just make it prettier, Stinger, please.

A few things. First, when I used the words "Celestial Inspired" I am not saying fluff-wise but real world inspiration. As such, I'll let the writers handle the reasoning, all I know is that this is the style that the art director also preferred, so that is what I went with.

Second, these are not work in progress screenshots, these are final submissions and will be sent to the 3D printer soon, so there won't be any further changes.

Lastly, again, this is a sword, not a retractable blade, and again, it was real world reasons that the blade is underslung.

Anyways, I never thought of the Chimera as a pretty Mech. It's an inhuman war machine, and I feel that my mini reflects that  >:D

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #49 on: 26 February 2015, 19:53:55 »
Well I think the 2K Chimera looks good.  O0
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: 26 February 2015, 20:48:41 »
Well I think the 2K Chimera looks good.  O0

Haha thanks!!!!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #51 on: 26 February 2015, 20:53:49 »
The real test is, "Will the ankles stay glued if I look at them sideways?" :D
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 26 February 2015, 20:57:46 »

Use the pins, Luke  ;)

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 26 February 2015, 21:09:10 »

I can't guarantee anything, man do I hope so...

Dak

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 27 February 2015, 01:41:01 »
The Scarabus and Berserker, for example, carry "hatchets" but have the underslung blades as well. That aesthetic has been well established in Battletech already.

Dak

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #55 on: 27 February 2015, 05:29:32 »
Besides, a quick google search for "forearm sword" gives this result:

I mean, hey, it's Punisher approved  }:)

While it may not be the most "Kuritan" looking sword, a chicken Walker like the Chimera carrying a Ninja-to or similar blades just feels wrong in my opinion and looks rather odd. The underslung sword feels much more in line with the overall aesthetics of the Chimera. But ymmw ...

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 27 February 2015, 06:05:47 »
Besides, a quick google search for "forearm sword" gives this result:

I mean, hey, it's Punisher approved  }:)

While it may not be the most "Kuritan" looking sword, a chicken Walker like the Chimera carrying a Ninja-to or similar blades just feels wrong in my opinion and looks rather odd. The underslung sword feels much more in line with the overall aesthetics of the Chimera. But ymmw ...
Hmmm... nice device...  O0

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #57 on: 27 February 2015, 08:42:03 »
You guys know I'm a MASSIVE stickler for things looking like they should...especially multiple variants...

Honestly with the Chimera CMA-2K, at first glance, the purist in me says that the Chimera CMA-2K does NOT have a sword (mostly because House Kurita is very "Samurai" like with their curved swords)...BUT, having an open mind for looks of variants with no art...I honestly like it! I think it's a unique version, "blade" or "sword"...this one doesn't matter to me. And as Gunji pointed out...

That is technically called a "forearm sword"...so I'm good with it! If I had a reason for more than one...I'd honestly buy more -2K variants than the -1S resculpt.

I think Stinger did an awesome job on this one, and the art person who had the final say made the right call.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 27 February 2015, 12:53:11 »
Oh! And I forgot to mention, that the missile covers on the Chimera are a separate part, so, you can leave it off if you wish...

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: 27 February 2015, 13:07:33 »
Hidden ace!  O0

Register