Author Topic: Web Only Previews  (Read 23182 times)

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
Re: Web Only Previews
« Reply #60 on: 27 February 2015, 14:20:29 »
Oh! And I forgot to mention, that the missile covers on the Chimera are a separate part, so, you can leave it off if you wish...

Ahhhh...SELLING POINT!!! lol

Now I may have to sell off the old one I already have primed! hahaha
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #61 on: 27 February 2015, 15:13:12 »
Oh! And I forgot to mention, that the missile covers on the Chimera are a separate part, so, you can leave it off if you wish...

YESSSSSS!!!!!!!

Totally sold on this!  [applause] [applause] [applause]
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #62 on: 27 February 2015, 16:31:08 »

Throws money at the monitor.... Awesome job!
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #63 on: 27 February 2015, 19:35:01 »
The Scarabus and Berserker, for example, carry "hatchets" but have the underslung blades as well. That aesthetic has been well established in Battletech already.
The image of the Scarabus has no right hand at all (possibly replaced by the hatchet).  The Berserker's hatchet handle is bent 90 degrees but is still held by the right hand.  You might be thinking of the Nightsky.  It's the only 'Mech with a hand and underslung blade that comes to mind.

Besides, a quick google search for "forearm sword" gives this result:
http://hobby-store.biz/images/products/en/The_Punisher_HK-6090.jpg
That's what I was thinking of.  Note that part of the handle is held by the hand.

Regardless, it is what it is.  No offense intended Stinger.  The model looks great and matches what I've seen of the MW4(?) model quite well.  Bonus points for the separate missile door.  If I'm ambitious enough I'll mod one up to suit my own tastes.

Dak

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #64 on: 27 February 2015, 20:16:57 »
Nightsky! That's what I meant. :P

Dak

Errodien

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Corporal
  • Precentor Pants
« Reply #65 on: 28 February 2015, 13:26:18 »
Is the Chimera modeled after the Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance version? The similarities are real!

This raises my hopes for a MW4:Mercs Hellhound mini someday...

ADD THAT TO THE REVIEW

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #66 on: 28 February 2015, 13:30:38 »
Is the Chimera modeled after the Mechwarrior 4: Vengeance version? The similarities are real!

This raises my hopes for a MW4:Mercs Hellhound mini someday...

Both the Chimera and Arctic Wolf II art is directly based off of MW4, and I definitely hopped into the game and grabbed screenshots to help me with the design.

I am glad you like them!

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #67 on: 28 February 2015, 13:38:22 »
Doesn't Microsoft own the MW4 Hellhound art work?
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #68 on: 28 February 2015, 15:35:49 »
MW4 Chimera and Artic Wolf more or less became canon by the TRO artwork which at least was strongly inspired by the MW versions. As long as the MW4 Hellhound doesn't appear in canon artwork, the chance of getting a miniature from IWM is basically zero.

Errodien

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Corporal
  • Precentor Pants
« Reply #69 on: 28 February 2015, 18:44:36 »
MW4 Chimera and Artic Wolf more or less became canon by the TRO artwork which at least was strongly inspired by the MW versions. As long as the MW4 Hellhound doesn't appear in canon artwork, the chance of getting a miniature from IWM is basically zero.

Even though the MW4 version looks head-over-heels better than the canon version.

Looks like I need to buy a 3D printer and make my own! xD

ADD THAT TO THE REVIEW

TheDean

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #70 on: 04 March 2015, 21:44:00 »

That's a really nice touch.

Knallogfall

• Sergeant
  • Acta deos numquam mortalia fallunt.
    • Krigshammer - Miniatures web log.
« Reply #71 on: 14 March 2015, 11:03:39 »
Look, this is all nice and well, but I just want one question answered;

Will there be a Loki/Hellbringer torso for the Thor II legs and arms?

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #72 on: 14 March 2015, 11:06:46 »
Look, this is all nice and well, but I just want one question answered;

Will there be a Loki/Hellbringer torso for the Thor II legs and arms?

Actually, if you look at the art, the only feature that the Loki II and the Thor II have in common are the feet. The legs are similar, as are the upper arms, but they are not the same, unlike the original Thor and Loki. As such, you'll have to wait until a Loki II is announced.

Sorry!

Knallogfall

• Sergeant
« Reply #73 on: 15 March 2015, 00:55:11 »
Actually, if you look at the art, the only feature that the Loki II and the Thor II have in common are the feet. The legs are similar, as are the upper arms, but they are not the same, unlike the original Thor and Loki. As such, you'll have to wait until a Loki II is announced.

Sorry!

Damn.

Daaaaaamn.

You're breaking my heart over here, man. It's not like there was that much of a difference between the cruddy Dark Age models anyway. Who do I have to bribe/pummel/seduce to get a proper Loki II in the foreseeable future, then? There's figuratively no reason at all to even have the Clans in 3145 without one, might as well have written them out back in 3121. I weep inside, this shattering trauma wreaks hell upon my fragile emotional being, ye 'bringer of ill news.

Would it count as piracy if I had someone 3D print a torso for me? Seeing as the official model doesn't exist yet anyway. It would mean more business for IWM anyway as I'd have to get like 3 of the Thor IIs and turn 2 of them into Lokis.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #74 on: 15 March 2015, 05:48:57 »
Yes it would.

Knallogfall

• Sergeant
« Reply #75 on: 15 March 2015, 07:09:11 »
Well can I assume the pieces would be completely interchangeable between them if a Loki II were to be made? Considering how they feature the exact same construction and bar the torso the differences between them come down to a few changed armor panels.

Like yeah, I'd get one of these, because it's cool, nice job. I'd just prefer to get 2-3 of the other ones, but I can't possibly imagine that being high priority if new masters and molds are so expensive.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #76 on: 15 March 2015, 10:08:49 »
That would not be an assumption I would make. It may happen but it may not.

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #77 on: 15 March 2015, 10:59:21 »
I'm not going to comment on the making of your own molds because of Rule 12,  but the parts for the Loki II are not necessarily going to be interchangeable with the Thor II.  It heavily depends on who is going to be sculpting the Loki II (which is not necessarily going to be me).

Heck, even if I did a Loki II, I would likely making some of the sockets larger than those of the Thor II because I possibly made them too small (I am still waiting on masters to know for sure).

Also, IWM will not release just a torso given the larger differences between the minis.  They are going to make quality mini that matches the art.  So, likely, it will be some time.

Take a look at the differences:

I can see that the torsos and hips are completely different.  The upper arms are similar, but the lower arms are as similar as the original thor's left and right arms.  The legs, while similar, have those added pistons and different geometry.  I know that for me as a CAD designer, that is not just a simple addition.

It is going to be a completely different mini, especially if alt configs are going to be included.

Sorry, but I think patience is the only solution for this problem for the foreseeable future...

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #78 on: 15 March 2015, 11:14:21 »
Different geometry?  Why didn't someone tell me we had another alternative besides Euclid and Cthulu? 

Dak

• CamoSpecs
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #79 on: 15 March 2015, 11:31:55 »
Stinger peers into the 3D modeling abyss, I think it stares back into him!

Dak

Knallogfall

• Sergeant
« Reply #80 on: 15 March 2015, 12:55:07 »
The differences in the weapons can be attributed to them having different armaments, with the Thor having UAC5s and the Loki having Gauss Rifles and Large Lasers. Being OmniMechs, this shouldn't be a very big deal, it would have been easy to magnetize too if metal models weren't so heavy. I'd chalk up most of the differences to it being a 2D drawing with attempts to make them look more dynamic, the exceptions being the pistons above the knees on the Loki and the groin area, which I believe there are some very simple solutions for - namely having the option to assemble the groin either way, with the back representing the Loki and the front representing the Thor. I vaguely recall some Clickytech models doing something like that, though that might just be genuine Chinese quality.

As far as staying true to the art is concerned quite a few of the recent miniatures are far more plain than the illustrations they were based on, an example being the Dragon II's cockpit. Doesn't make it any less of a cool model and a great replacement for the classic Grand Dragon, likewise if your Thor II doesn't conform entirely to some flat piece of art it won't degrade the overall appearance as long as it is consistently done well and the casting is on the mark - I'm going to spend more time looking at a tabletop model than any TRO art. I've been painting 3 Jenners recently, and I'm hungry for something new that doesn't look quite so downtrodden and miserable.

Still, with the whole point of OmniMechs being modular bits it would be pretty silly if at least the weapons for the 2015 Thor II and 2019 kickstarted Loki II weren't to be compatible, even if the latter is cast in hazardous chinese resin by trained mongolian cat-monkeys imported from the far east, or far west if you're on the west coast.

Again, I'd also expect the initial costs to be cheaper if you recycle existing components, which would increase the likelihood of the Loki happening. As this is not the case, well, guess I'll have to stock up on epoxy and plasticard.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #81 on: 15 March 2015, 15:03:35 »
I just dug out the origina "art", the MWDA minis. The minis are the same from the knee down. That is it. Everything else is different and would need sculpted. I doubt it would be worth trying to recycle that little bit of the mini.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #82 on: 16 March 2015, 10:39:47 »
I asked in another thread why IWM doesn´t throw away the old Ral Partha molds and redo the minis with the new tech. Some answered that there is no money and that there are license things that are costly as well. Now I see that a perfectly good mini (Chimera) is redone. Don´t get me wrong, I am not intending to complain but how does that make sense?

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #83 on: 16 March 2015, 11:51:51 »
I asked in another thread why IWM doesn´t throw away the old Ral Partha molds and redo the minis with the new tech. Some answered that there is no money and that there are license things that are costly as well. Now I see that a perfectly good mini (Chimera) is redone. Don´t get me wrong, I am not intending to complain but how does that make sense?

Because this was an unsolicited mini. I personally did not like the current Chimera mini so I created a block out. From there I asked IWM if they'd like to redo it. If they said no, then that would have been the end of the line. They decided to accept it and with that, we have a new Chimera.

It is uncommon but definitely not unheard of for sculptors to directly submit ideas.

There were concessions made because it was a resculpt, but those details are private.

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #84 on: 17 March 2015, 04:11:14 »
Hello Stinger, thanks for the explanation. Is there any chance to get some pictures on how this work is actually done? I always wondered how such miniatures are done, yet I have never seen any visual content of how sculptors do their work. Would be so interesting.

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #85 on: 17 March 2015, 11:00:36 »
Different sculptors use different methods. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but Stinger is using CAD to digitally draw/sculpt the minis which will then be 3D printed to create the "Master" sculpt. Other sculptors, like B-3 (who is doing the sculpting for the Fan Financed minis), use the "old school" method of physically sculpting the master out of clay/green stuff/etc.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Fullback

• Corporal
« Reply #86 on: 17 March 2015, 17:53:54 »

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #87 on: 17 March 2015, 19:20:22 »
I envy anyone who can use green stuff.  All I was able to sculpt with it was the IDC-B10B Indiscernible Blob from an old Mecha Press magazine. 

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #88 on: 17 March 2015, 20:22:35 »
Hello Stinger, thanks for the explanation. Is there any chance to get some pictures on how this work is actually done? I always wondered how such miniatures are done, yet I have never seen any visual content of how sculptors do their work. Would be so interesting.

Actually, I already started a lengthy post going over my processes in word a week or two ago. I'll get it posted soon!

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #89 on: 18 March 2015, 07:46:50 »
Oh cool, thank you. Hope we will see what tools you use and how you operate. The feature on the Pulverizer had no images that show how the actual work is done.

Register