Author Topic: Upcoming Releases XVI: Jardine Grand Tour  (Read 126751 times)

SteveRestless

• Major
Re: Upcoming Releases XVI: Jardine Grand Tour
« Reply #1140 on: 08 July 2020, 19:24:07 »
Someone will always be disappointed. So we choose to do what’s best for most customers and best for the line.

Are there that many people who mistakenly buy a PDF, thinking they were buying both a PDF and a Print on Demand combo, and express remorse for purchasing the wrong item?

We've had plenty of releases in the past with the print aspect and the PDF availability out of synch, it baffles me why the two suddenly need be yoked together. But whatever. I just hope, fervently, that you reconsider asynchronous releases on future products.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #1141 on: 08 July 2020, 19:39:30 »
We've had plenty of releases in the past with the print aspect and the PDF availability out of synch, it baffles me why the two suddenly need be yoked together. But whatever. I just hope, fervently, that you reconsider asynchronous releases on future products.

Why shouldn’t they be released at the same time? Why should one type of customer feel left out when CGL can satisfy both kinds of customers simultaneously.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1142 on: 08 July 2020, 19:44:35 »
Because getting a product a couple weeks earlier is just that important.  Apparently.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #1143 on: 08 July 2020, 20:06:26 »
Why shouldn’t they be released at the same time?

Because there have been past releases where a digital release preceded a print release without incident. Shattered Fortress, for example. and I am relatively sure the recent novels came out digitally before the PoD was available.

Why should one type of customer feel left out when CGL can satisfy both kinds of customers simultaneously.

And yet, as a PDF-only buyer, I do feel left out (of consideration) and am unsatisfied, that the PDF release is held up behind a laggy unrelated process. It is my recollection that PoD buyers are being given a copy of the PDF bundled with their purchase to mollify them over the delay, are they not? IMO, that's backwards, they're the ones who get additional value out of the wait. While PDF-only buyers just get... exactly what they'd get whether there was a wait or not.

No one is being "Left Out" during an asynchronous release when the PoD bundle comes with a PDF, they can skim the PDF with the rest of us, AND get their preferred format when it's goodand ready. and if they dislike PDFs that much, and won't touch them, then there is value in the waiting for them.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1144 on: 08 July 2020, 20:11:30 »
There have been many issues with bundle PDF+print when one was available before the other.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #1145 on: 08 July 2020, 20:34:38 »
Because there have been past releases where a digital release preceded a print release without incident. Shattered Fortress, for example. and I am relatively sure the recent novels came out digitally before the PoD was available.

“Because we used to” is a terrible reason for doing anything. By that logic, CGL should just release 3025 hard copy-only products and metal minis.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #1146 on: 08 July 2020, 20:39:43 »
It is my recollection that PoD buyers are being given a copy of the PDF bundled with their purchase to mollify them over the delay, are they not?
That’s incorrect. They are not being mollified for the delay, you have it all backwards. The policy for a while has been that PDFs are included with print products. It has nothing to do with any delays. We are delaying the release of this PDF so that we don’t have customers that misunderstand the situation, don’t feel cheated, or regret their purchase for one that may have more value to them. Since this is POD via DTRPG, we can’t set it up as a preorder, or credit people towards the POD purchase later.

To my knowledge Shattered Fortress was prior to this policy, and the novels are a completely different process (and different budget structures, different margins, and so on) and are apples and oranges.

There really is nothing to debate here.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #1147 on: 08 July 2020, 21:42:32 »
There really is nothing to debate here.

Not debating, just stating why I'm disappointed and wishing different decisions had been made. I don't expect anything to change as a result.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #1148 on: 08 July 2020, 22:37:30 »
I don't expect anything to change as a result.

That's probably wise.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #1149 on: 09 July 2020, 03:44:45 »
“Because we used to” is a terrible reason for doing anything. By that logic, CGL should just release 3025 hard copy-only products and metal minis.

Judging by some interactions I've had in the past, there is a significant portion of the fan base who would prefer exactly that.

- Herb

LightGuard

• Master Sergeant
  • They called him Camouflage
« Reply #1150 on: 09 July 2020, 06:59:48 »

Judging by some interactions I've had in the past, there is a significant portion of the fan base who would prefer exactly that.

- Herb

Oh hell no. I've got enough stagnant timelines in other games and fiction I interact with. Anytime this kind of talk comes up, I start looking at how to spend my money elsewhere. I'm not here because I want to read about how X Lance of this unit defeated Y Lance of that unit to win/lose a raid on Z Planet across two volumes.

That said, a broad 3SW supplement that talks about the House Lord/ComStar level intrigue and drama that fills in some of the gaps, shows the Mad Max/Scavenger setting that was originally pitched, and comes with a chapter of 10-12 Total Chaos tracks does interest me. A touchstone product that provides an overarching story line without getting into the weeds, if you will.

Then onto ilClan and the future!
The Things I Do for Love...

Do not try to apply real-world logic to Battletech.  Naught lies there but madness and ruin. - moneylovingogre4hire

That's fine, then.  I've been waiting since 2014 or so, what's another year?  Time laughs at all things, but BattleTech laughs at time.  Then launches a trial of possession for it. - rebs

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #1151 on: 09 July 2020, 07:09:02 »

- Herb

What we really need is BattleMech miniatures that consist of monochrome square cardboard chits with stats inscribed on them in 3-pt font. 

And suspenders + knee-length beards are mandatory.

:D
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1152 on: 09 July 2020, 07:10:36 »
My main problem is with the sheer number of Mechs and vehicles at our disposal. Including variants and Omni configs there are thousands of options for a player to choose from. If that isn't bloat, I don't know what is.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2020, 13:08:02 by Sharpnel »
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #1153 on: 09 July 2020, 07:28:33 »
Are there that many people who mistakenly buy a PDF, thinking they were buying both a PDF and a Print on Demand combo, and express remorse for purchasing the wrong item?

I would suspect you get a higher POD attach rate if you launch both the PDF and the POD at the same time to take advantage of the initial launch push.  I highly doubt that enabling POD is free, so it would be better for CGL to recoup (and profit) off that investment up from.   I would argue, all be it without evidence, that launching the cheep version early undercuts the overall revenue.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2020, 07:43:00 by Geg »

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #1154 on: 09 July 2020, 07:36:07 »
I would suspect you get a higher POD attach rate if you launch both the PDF and the POD at the same time to take advantage of the initial launch push.  I highly doubt that enabling POD so it would be better for CGL to recoup (and profit) off that investment up from.   I would argue that launching the cheep version early is a surefire way to undercut your overall revenue.

Depending, on how you set it up, the digital product can actually net you more money than the PoD. If I want my novels to net me the same the, far cheaper, eBooks do, I actually have ton increase their prize.

There aren't people who buy the wrong item and are then angry, at least no that many. There are people, who buy the digital version, because there is no printed version and are then angry, because they didn't know there would be a printed version later. Also, you are then punishing your customers, who prefer printed versions, because the digital version is out weeks earlier, lots of people are talking about it, reading it ... and you have to wait, because you want it printed. It's really not fair to people who want it printed. I always found it annoying, that the PDF was out weeks, sometimes months before the printed version in the past.
And, really, had they announced the print version beforehand, we wouldn't even have this discussion. They would have dropped at the same time and everyone would have been happy. From what it looks like, that will be the case in the future, so we won't have this kind of obvious delay ever again.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

RotS fan

• Master Sergeant
  • Ad securitas per unitas
« Reply #1155 on: 09 July 2020, 07:39:28 »
My main problem is with the sheer number of Mechs and vehicles at our disposal. Including variants and Omni configs there are thousands of options for a player to choose from. If that isn't I don't know what is.
Well... one of the main points of playing BattleTech is the sheer number of mechs and vehicles at our disposal  ::)
It is like if you complain that your main problem with RPGs is the sheer number of roleplay you have to do or the main problem with Magic: the Gathering is the sheer number of cards at your disposal

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #1156 on: 09 July 2020, 07:40:05 »
My main problem is with the sheer number of Mechs and vehicles at our disposal. Including variants and Omni configs there are thousands of options for a player to choose from. If that isn't I don't know what is.

Source books my dude.  The hidden power of source books is that they constrain mech selection down to a manageable number.  From my point of view the real "problem" with so many type of mechs is that it encourages players to grab a handful of mech and proxy up.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1157 on: 09 July 2020, 07:42:05 »
Proxying isn't a bug... it's a feature.

Geg

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
    • Jade Corsair
« Reply #1158 on: 09 July 2020, 07:49:18 »
Depending, on how you set it up, the digital product can actually net you more money than the PoD. If I want my novels to net me the same the, far cheaper, eBooks do, I actually have ton increase their prize.

On a per unit basis sure. 

POD and PDFs are going to have a revenue stream more like software than a more traditional printed and stocked book.   Once the development costs have been recouped, the ongoing costs are low enough that it makes sense to maximize revenue and swamp the difference in margin.   So if you are looking to maximize profitability, ideally you want as many people buying the PDF and POD as possible to maximize revenue, and take the hit to the overall margin.   

(I am also not in this industry so this could be 105% wrong.)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #1159 on: 09 July 2020, 07:52:45 »
By that logic, CGL should just release 3025 hard copy-only products and metal minis.

Only if by metal you mean lead, possibly with some cadmium added.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #1160 on: 09 July 2020, 07:59:40 »
On a per unit basis sure. 

POD and PDFs are going to have a revenue stream more like software than a more traditional printed and stocked book.   Once the development costs have been recouped, the ongoing costs are low enough that it makes sense to maximize revenue and swamp the difference in margin.

Once released, PoD and digital costs are actually non-existent. The shops provide the infrastructure and get their costs covered by sales (it's set up a bit more complicated, but let's spare the details, here).

So if you are looking to maximize profitability, ideally you want as many people buying the PDF and POD as possible to maximize revenue, and take the hit to the overall margin.   

(I am also not in this industry so this could be 105% wrong.)

The number of people who buy both is usually minimal, in my experience. They have paid for one, they are annoyed if they have to pay for the other (especially if they bought the more expensive printed version). Personally, I'm actually extremely annoyed, that such combo offers are impossible in Germany, due to book pricing laws (Buchpreisbindung). If I could, I would give the e-books away for free alongside my printed novels, too. It helps keep the customer happy and coming back for more.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #1161 on: 09 July 2020, 08:04:13 »

There aren't people who buy the wrong item and are then angry, at least no that many. There are people, who buy the digital version, because there is no printed version and are then angry, because they didn't know there would be a printed version later. Also, you are then punishing your customers, who prefer printed versions, because the digital version is out weeks earlier, lots of people are talking about it, reading it ... and you have to wait, because you want it printed. It's really not fair to people who want it printed. I always found it annoying, that the PDF was out weeks, sometimes months before the printed version in the past.
And, really, had they announced the print version beforehand, we wouldn't even have this discussion. They would have dropped at the same time and everyone would have been happy. From what it looks like, that will be the case in the future, so we won't have this kind of obvious delay ever again.

WHERE I THE LIKE / +1 BUTTON!!!!!!!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #1162 on: 09 July 2020, 08:56:45 »
Here’s the last word, and then I’d like the discussion to be dropped. We stand to make more money if we release the PDF first without the POD—which we are not doing. We do not make more with POD sales, not in this case with landscape being more expensive for POD. This decision, as I’ve said, was to best serve the customers.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1163 on: 09 July 2020, 09:53:27 »
Back on track a bit..

Are we expecting anything to get released tomorrow or are we looking at next Friday now?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #1164 on: 09 July 2020, 10:03:07 »
Hoping for RG 3 tomorrow!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1165 on: 09 July 2020, 10:05:14 »
Back on track a bit..

Are we expecting anything to get released tomorrow or are we looking at next Friday now?

Lol, I was about to ask that!  No Rec Guide this week . . .

Also, I thought puzzles were to start shipping on the 1st?  I still have not received a notice that my puzzles & posters and t-shirts have shipped.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1166 on: 09 July 2020, 10:09:10 »
From everything on Coming Attractions and what has been announced here.

I think there nothing coming out tomorrow *(7/10/20)* unless it's unannounced surprise.

As side note: If PoD would allow for the buyer to choose what format they wish it (Landscape / Portrait ), i'd gladly handle the extra charge so CGL isn't having pay more.

Battletech TRO/RGs is better landscape to me.   (fits in book shelf better)

« Last Edit: 09 July 2020, 10:34:14 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1167 on: 09 July 2020, 10:20:45 »
From everything on Coming Attractions and what has been announced here.

I think there nothing coming out tomorrow *(7/10/20)* unless it's unannounced surprised.

Icons of War and Rock of the Republic where originally slated for June, Blaine said on FB yesterday that RotR is likely about 3 weeks away but he doesn't actually know for sure.

IoW might stil be in with a shout.

RG3 was scheduled for next week anyway (17th) with Spotlight On: Thermo Police and Touring the Stars: Kaumberg the week after (24th).
« Last Edit: 09 July 2020, 10:23:08 by Dmon »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1168 on: 09 July 2020, 10:35:11 »
RGv3's cover is a Battlemaster . . . which is going to be fun.  So playing the 'gun ports games' that means . . . on big gun on the RA, 2 lasers each LT/RT/CTR, 6 tube missile in the LT, and 2 MG on the LA.

The PPC/ML/MG just offer a ton of options . . . the missile rack is easier- SRM6, SSRM6, paired ATM3, ATM6, or paired MML3.  I do not expect ATMs if its a IS based design, they will use Clan LRM or Clan Streaks but we have yet to see them integrate the ATM system so . . . for different, paired MML3?  Sort of judging by what happened with the Zeus . . . maybe a FS design, paired MML3s, SFE or LFE, Clan spec ERMLs, Snub PPC or cERLL for the big gun?, AP Gauss or MagShots for the MGs though SPL would be better, Angel ECM or Boosted C3?, love a Supercharger, and what type of armor?  Have to check it tonight when I get back around HMP.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #1169 on: 09 July 2020, 10:37:42 »
Icons of War and Rock of the Republic where originally slated for June, Blaine said on FB yesterday that RotR is likely about 3 weeks away but he doesn't actually know for sure.

IoW might stil be in with a shout.

RG3 was scheduled for next week anyway (17th) with Spotlight On: Thermo Police and Touring the Stars: Kaumberg the week after (24th).

Icons is still being edited and the cover being designed. I have no idea when it'll be ready -- I hope its this month, but maybe August.....

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Register