Author Topic: New PDF issues  (Read 1901 times)

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
New PDF issues
« on: 14 January 2019, 19:23:20 »
During the last half of 2018 I down loaded the the following PDFs to my IPad
1st Succession Wars, 2nd Succession Wars and Shattfred Fortress and all 3 take so long to load that it is not even worth the time to try and read them. Has anyone else experienced this same issue? The smaller PDFs that have released through the holidays have opened fine but the newer books are very frustrating! Does anyone have a fix for it?
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: New PDF issues
« Reply #1 on: 14 January 2019, 19:39:24 »
I don't have those problems on a regular desktop.  1st SW is only 28MB, while 2nd SW is 74MB, but both open fine for me.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #2 on: 14 January 2019, 19:40:28 »
The only one that gives me issues is IntOps

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

AdmiralObvious

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 14 January 2019, 20:23:23 »
I'm not having any issue with any of my PDFs. Int Ops is fine for me as well. Could try redownloading them and see if that helps? Maybe try a different PDF viewer? I know Adobe was pretty awful with most of my PDFs until I switched to Sumatra.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 14 January 2019, 20:29:12 »
I had blamed my issues with intops on the fact that I use adobe

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2019, 20:42:05 »
I'm not sure which app you're using to read them, I use Xodo and have had 0 issues.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2019, 20:57:34 »
My Kobo aura crashes on two pages of OTP: death to mercenaries. Don't ask me which ones, it's been a while. Haven't had problems with many other products, but some really graphic heavy layouts give it fits

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2019, 22:40:38 »
My iPad, depending on which version of iOS it has been on, likes to get really slow and do funny stuff with TRO’s 3145 and 3150. Of course, n several patches it was OK, but recently it has gone back to being painful to swipe from one page to the next. Of course, if I switch to the index view, I can see thumbnails of all the pages and quickly switch between them. Go figure! None of the same issues show up if I look at it on PC.

Tablets are funny, memory constrained beasts, and they can have issues managing graphics-heavy, large PDFs.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2019, 23:45:06 »
During the last half of 2018 I down loaded the the following PDFs to my IPad

Using which app?

My iPad, depending on which version of iOS it has been on, likes to get really slow and do funny stuff with TRO’s 3145 and 3150.

Which app?

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 15 January 2019, 05:08:32 »
I use PDF Expert on my ipad and most BattleTech files tend to be blurry for a few seconds before resolving. It's not a huge issue but it can be annoying at times.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 15 January 2019, 08:51:23 »
I use the Ibooks app that came with my Ipad
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #11 on: 15 January 2019, 11:43:00 »
No problems with my Kindle Fire . . . Shattered Fortress, Tech Manual, and Strat Ops take a few seconds more to load than my Tourings & Spotlights, but its not too noticeable.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

carlisimo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #12 on: 16 January 2019, 12:38:59 »
Yeah, I bought but haven’t read Shattered Fortress because my iPad Air 2 can’t handle it. I’m using GoodReader and have tried iBooks as well. We’re not talking about just a few seconds between pages - it’s basically unusable.

It’s a relatively small file at just over 40 MB.  I’ve been able to read PDFs ten times the size with noticeable but tolerable lag; this one’s unique.
« Last Edit: 16 January 2019, 13:23:50 by carlisimo »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 16 January 2019, 12:49:56 »
Oh, I have no lag flipping pages.  It just loading it to read I get a slightly longer pause than the smaller PDFs.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2019, 13:35:27 »
I had blamed my issues with intops on the fact that I use adobe
Which should work since it is likely composed it with.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #15 on: 16 January 2019, 13:54:14 »
I'm afraid I have to chime in that my copy of Shattered Fortress wasn't very usable in either iOS GoodReader or Adobe Reader. I think each page took between 4-8 seconds to load in GoodReader with some improvement in Adobe (this would be the iPad mini 4). I've since read the paper copy and mostly forgotten about the PDF experience. This reminded me that there was some kind of issue that was unusual and that other full color pdf products (all the core books, for example) loaded reasonably well (2-4 seconds) and BW products even faster. Especially after caching previews in GoodReader.

Hope this is helpful information.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #16 on: 16 January 2019, 13:55:47 »
I know it's not a tablet per se, but I can get most Catalyst PDFs to load on my Kindle Paperwhite. Sometimes pages with lots of graphics will overload and crash the poor thing though...

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 16 January 2019, 14:16:51 »
I'm afraid I have to chime in that my copy of Shattered Fortress wasn't very usable in either iOS GoodReader or Adobe Reader. I think each page took between 4-8 seconds to load in GoodReader with some improvement in Adobe (this would be the iPad mini 4). I've since read the paper copy and mostly forgotten about the PDF experience. This reminded me that there was some kind of issue that was unusual and that other full color pdf products (all the core books, for example) loaded reasonably well (2-4 seconds) and BW products even faster. Especially after caching previews in GoodReader.

Hope this is helpful information.

This is exactly what is happening to me, Shattered Fortress can take minutes to load, and it is a shame because I really wanted to catch up with the way the universe is heading

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 16 January 2019, 15:19:38 »
there have been threads about this in the past.

the take away I got was that some applications are more efficient and better at handling large and or multi layer PDF pages when you combine that with various levels of hardware (especially tablets which are somewhat limited) you get some situations where poor to very poor performance occurs.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #19 on: 16 January 2019, 15:23:18 »
there have been threads about this in the past.

the take away I got was that some applications are more efficient and better at handling large and or multi layer PDF pages when you combine that with various levels of hardware (especially tablets which are somewhat limited) you get some situations where poor to very poor performance occurs.

Quite true, but my experience of a specific pdf was abnormal. I'm not too fussed about it, really, but I do want to make sure my experience contributes just in case there was, say, some new process in going from inDesign to PDF or something.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Register