Author Topic: Who invented what 'Mech (aerospace fighter, vehicle, ...)?  (Read 1885 times)

Frabby

• Major
See header - I'd like to know which 'Mech/aerospace fighter/vehicle/spaceship design was invented by which author(s).
For example, we all know that the Wolfhound was created by Mike Stackpole himself.
Or that the Leviathan was created by Paul (Sjardin?), and the Leviathan Prime concept by Ben Rome.
On the old forum the original author of the Phoenix Hawk IIC said he built it as a 'Mech called the Matador and had no idea it would become the Phoenix Hawk IIC, which explains the gross mismatch between the classic and IIC design.

That kind of stuff.

Writers, please tell us which designs were invented by you. Or in the case of people who aren't active here, name the original authors if you know who they were.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Re: Who invented what 'Mech (aerospace fighter, vehicle, ...)?
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2013, 13:33:27 »
See header - I'd like to know which 'Mech/aerospace fighter/vehicle/spaceship design was invented by which author(s).

We don't track that, and don't really have a way of knowing for designs in early TROs.
Many variants are made by people other than the original author.

Or that the Leviathan was created by Paul (Sjardin?), and the Leviathan Prime concept by Ben Rome.

? No, I didn't make the Leviathan, I made something that existed internally only that was the Leviathan Prime. There's no 'true' Leviathan Prime author until a record sheet is made.

The solution is just ignore Paul.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2013, 14:28:43 »
See, that's one misconception cleared up already.  ;)

I know that design authorship isn't tracked, and that it may be impossible to track down the earlier designs' creators. But since it occasionally happens that a person steps forward and says "I created that design" I was wondering who claimed what.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2013, 17:33:13 »
It can really get nuts for folks who have been here a while. I think this is a list of new chassis I designed, not including variants or configurations:

Flamberge
Rampage
Wakazachi
Quasit
Coyotl
Lupus
Woodsman
Wildkatz
Tufana
Griggins
Demon Medium
Kinnol
Gurteltier
Targe
Penthesilea
Morgenstern
Carnivore
Eldingar
Onager
Fox Armored Car
Moltke
Combat Engineer
HALO Paratrooper
Anti-Infantry
Heavy Infantry
Sniper
Assault Commando
Field Medic
Heavy Mountain
Patron
Pathfinder
Centurion CN9-H
Hawkwolf
Humming Bird
Hwacha
Barouche
Nike
White Tip
Star Dagger
Malaika
Rottwieler
MASH vehicle
Mongoose II
Eyleuka
Korvin
Stork
Firebee
Koschei
Xanthos
DemolitionMech
Du Shi Wang
Chippewa IIC
Dromedary
Hyena
Stag
Pulverizer
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.