Author Topic: Building a Fed suns unit  (Read 1721 times)

WarGod

• Lieutenant
Building a Fed suns unit
« on: 24 July 2013, 10:44:39 »
So the guy running the shop back home is retireing, and getting rid of excess stock, so I bought a bag of minis for cheap, and paid the postage to ship it to afghanistan.  anyways in the bag of mystery was some old D&D minis, and a bunch of Battletech stuff.  Some of the clan mechs ended up going to my ghost bear forces (even a vintage MAD IIC, that I have to scratch build some lasers for).

Also In the bag was 2 old centurions, a old valk, and 2 enforcers, and 2 griffins, and a old T- BOLT, a old sculpt orion, and a jager mech, plus a NEW in blister Argus. 

so with my SLDF Independent company finished, and my ghost bears nearly done ( I added two griffin IICs to my list will post latter) I'm thinking of doing a Davion company.

The T-bolt might be used for something else.

Recon lance:  2 Valks, a P-hawk (New),  (new) Griffin
Battle: 2 centurions, 2 dervishes
Battle Lance 2:  2 enforcers, griffin, some heavy I'm leaning towards a ostol.
Command:  Victor, Orion, Marauder, Battlemaster

For latter time frames:
Command: Battlemaster, Victor, Templar, Jager-mech  (I do have another templar.)
Battle 1: 2 centurions, Marauder, Victor
Battle 2:  2 dervish, 2 griffins
Recon:  will stay the same.

I also Bought some other minis for my merc unit, but now that I think about it:
Heavy Cav Lance:  2 Argus, a Thanatos, and Herc.

I might have some other mercs to use latter But I'm considering a Recon lance with 2 razor backs, and a New Valk.

So what do you all think I still want to use the old minis from the Bag that was sent.
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
Re: Building a Fed suns unit
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2013, 10:50:24 »
For the earlier Succession War era stuff, here's a company you can build:

Command Lance: 1x BLR-1D BattleMaster, 1x MAD-3D Marauder, 1x VTR-9B Victor, 1x ON1-K Orion
Kept as is. Nice mix of long and short range firepower. Stick the Commander in the Beemer, and bodyguard him with the Victor to deal with things that leak past the lines.

Battle Lance: 2 CN9-A Centurions, 2 ENF-4R Enforcers
Similar 4/6 movement profiles, similar engagement ranges (AC10s and Large Lasers).

Fire Lance: 2x GRF-1N Griffins, 1x JM-6A JagerMech (6A variant), 1x VLK-QA Valkyrie
Solid combination of missile and direct fire weaponry for a Succession War era Fire Lance, even if the Jager is somewhat flaky in the armor department. If the Griffins are new model Griffins, you can easily rotate your existing Dervishes in to replace them to keep the Succession War feel - the lance just becomes less direct fire, more missile heavy.

Alternatively...

Close Assault Lance: 2 CN9-AH Centurions, 1x VTR-9B Victor, 1x ON1-VA Orion
Brutal combination of large bore autocannons and short ranged missiles will mulch anything they catch.

EDIT: Actually, in hindsight, if you run the Fire Lance in conjunction with the Close Assault Lance, it's going to be nightmarishly difficult to close and silence the missile boats in a Succession War engagement. The Enforcers just get bumped into the command lance to fill the hole vacated by the Victor and Orion joining Close Assault.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2013, 11:11:27 by Dies Irae »

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2013, 23:42:43 »

Battle Lance 2:  2 enforcers, griffin, some heavy I'm leaning towards a ostol.

Minor nit pick, it's an Ostsol.
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2013, 05:05:51 »
useing the SW era stuff as a build block for a Civil war era, unit.

Command:  Templar, Battlemaster 4s, Victor 5k, another templar.
Battle 1: Racturion, MAd 5D, Enofrcer 3, Jager mech (rac variant MOD a must.)
Battle 2:  Ostsol, Thanatos, Argus, Bushwacker.
Recon: 1 P-hawk, Griffin, 2 Valks.

Additonal for sub ins:  Commandoes x 2, old school enforcers, and the griffins.
I can still field a decent mobile fire support lance with the Griffin, and 2 dervishes, out of the Bag of mystery. 
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

Aldous

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2013, 11:11:12 »
Bleh...

Since you're playing Davion, you can use any mech you want.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2013, 20:28:44 »
Might want to try to put in a Falconer or a Rakshasa.  Maybe a hatchet mech, like a Nightsky or Axman, if you like melee.