Author Topic: City Blocks - Sized for BattleTech Hexmaps  (Read 15691 times)

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: City Blocks - Sized for BattleTech Hexmaps
« Reply #120 on: 19 October 2017, 10:20:31 »
This block seems to be in the map's "chinatown" as well, hosting Ling's Furniture Refinishers and the Jade Peacock oriental restaurant (arch rival of the Red Dragon Chinese restaurant).  Sun Industries anchors the northern portion of the block.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #121 on: 19 October 2017, 10:26:20 »
Tanaka Industries is a good piece for a Draconis Combine business district setup.  You could almost imagine Uncle Chandy going for a contemplative stroll in the rooftop garden.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #122 on: 19 October 2017, 10:27:39 »
Another block for the Unproductives - high rise tenements.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #123 on: 19 October 2017, 10:28:13 »
And, for a change of pace, low-rise half-block tenements.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #124 on: 19 October 2017, 10:29:09 »
The Thayer Hotel shares a small parking lot with the Owner's Trust Bank.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #125 on: 19 October 2017, 10:30:02 »
The Galileo Hotel has a fancy fountain arrangement out front.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #126 on: 19 October 2017, 10:30:49 »
The Hayward Building offers its tenants a decent amount of green space and natural lighting in the atrium.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #127 on: 19 October 2017, 10:33:59 »
This block represents the enormous Waldorf-Astoria hotel, but would also be suitable as an SDS Naval Laser double barrel emplacement. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #128 on: 19 October 2017, 10:36:11 »
This represents the Time Life Building in NYC.  It's a big box with chimneys on top. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #129 on: 19 October 2017, 10:49:24 »
This is one of my favorite bits on the map - a convention center, parking tower, and insurance company on the south side, connected by a skybridge to a high-rise trade center on the north side. 

It would have been great eye-candy to 3D convert, back when I was doing that, but the skybridge looked prone to snapping, made just out of styrofoam.  Plus, the model would be 2' high, creating storage and transport issues.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #130 on: 19 October 2017, 10:52:13 »
Another small retail/service block, businesses here include the Hobby Shop (a shout out to the stores that sold these maps), a Pawn Shop, a Liquor Store, a Handgun Emporium, an unemployment office, used books, an electronics store, a bakery, and a jewelry store. 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #131 on: 19 October 2017, 10:55:21 »
Apartments and abandoned buildings share space in this residential strip, anchored by an office building and a gas station (Union 84 seems to be a proxy for Union 66, a chain of gas stations bought out by Phillips and then Conoco.  The "Lone Wolves" supplement this map came in was written in 1984). 

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #132 on: 19 October 2017, 10:56:07 »
This is a representation of NYC's Uniroyal building.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #133 on: 19 October 2017, 10:57:47 »
Lowder's Video Haven is one of about five or six video rental stores on the maps.  They're still thematically appropriate, since BattleTech is the "Future of the 80s."  Just substitute vidchips for videocassettes, and treat your mercs to a "Tri-Vid and Chill" night.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #134 on: 19 October 2017, 11:05:00 »
The WMAR Radio station anchors a split block with Darwin's Computers and Hast's Sporting Goods.  On the other side of the alley, you have Phillips 44 Flavors (a proxy for Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors), Nouveau Art Gallery (a pun based on the "Art Nouveau" style popular between 1890-1910), and the Iron Hand Martial Arts Studio (Probably intended as a home base for Iron Fist in the accompanying adventures).

This the only radio station on the map.  The iPad-based MechWarrior Tactical Command game features a scenario where a radio DJ is coordinating resistance efforts as the Clans seek to take over a city.  Might be a good objective raid target for a War of '57 scenario, where Capellan-backed or home-brew insurgents try to seize control of communication hubs to broadcast propaganda.

"The Farmers' Freedom Army will usher in a new utopian planned society.  Every citizen will be given 40 acres and a mule, then assigned a strict production quota to fill...or be executed as an enemy of the state.  Rutabagas Uber Alles!"

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #135 on: 19 October 2017, 11:06:00 »
Last on the list, we have Woodman's Lumber Yard.  I can see a few Crosscut LoggerMechs on staff to handle large cutting orders.

Dakkon

• Corporal
« Reply #136 on: 23 October 2017, 01:08:17 »
This is freaking awesome, do you have a zipped folder with all of the individual structures by any chance?

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #137 on: 23 October 2017, 05:39:45 »
So if my math is right, this map is what, 100-ish hexes on a side?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #138 on: 23 October 2017, 08:24:04 »
So if my math is right, this map is what, 100-ish hexes on a side?

I sized each file to fit into a 3x3 hex circle, using a jpg printout of a full size HeavyMetal Map file as a reference (overlaying the building on the HMMap and resizing to fit), with margins at the edges to be the roads.  Since it is a 9 x 14 grid of city blocks, each sized to fit into a 3 x 3 circle of hexes (one hex at the center and the six around it) with margins at the edge for the roads, that works out to a 27 x 42 hex space (wider if you want more than half-hexes of road between blocks - in that case multiply by 4 instead of 3, getting a 36 x 56 hex playing area).

If the maps are used at the original miniatures scale, rather than mapscale, then the whole grid is about 8' long and 5' high.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #139 on: 23 October 2017, 14:26:14 »
This is freaking awesome, do you have a zipped folder with all of the individual structures by any chance?

PM me - file size limitations make sharing easier via e-mail

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #140 on: 23 October 2017, 21:50:33 »
An excellent addition - I dredged up the "internment camp" map from the "Nightmares of Futures Past" adventure - a great addition for scenarios involving extracting friendlies from prison camps.  With a bit of photoshoppery, the facility also makes a suitable firebase or garrison outpost. 

I made a blank hexmap in HM Map and overlaid the hex grid onto the Marvel map.  Not a perfect alignment, but it'll suffice.  The full file is too big to post, but I've attached a shrunk-down thumbnail.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #141 on: 23 October 2017, 21:57:36 »
Did the same for the Suburbs map from the same adventure.  Unleash the SuburbanMech!

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #142 on: 28 October 2017, 08:52:26 »
For those who want to make a custom internment camp layout, I've cut out all the buildings, guard towers, roads, fences and gates from the Internment Center map and put them into HM Map hexes.  Print as needed, cut, and build your facility to suit.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #143 on: 28 October 2017, 14:59:59 »
And now, the single family homes and yards made into hexes.  Print, cut, and embellish your hexmaps.  Then rampage through the 'burbs!

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #144 on: 29 October 2017, 12:48:43 »
I have placed all the building images onto hexgrids, so you can print, cut out, and use as map tokens.  You can access the files (37 MB) here:  http://www.mediafire.com/file/6fcd4tz0e537b10/building-hextiles.zip

The suburbs and internment camp tile pages are also in that folder.

Register