Author Topic: BattleTech FanFiction Tribble Emporium  (Read 380414 times)

drakensis

• Lieutenant
Re: BattleTech FanFiction Tribble Emporium
« Reply #1020 on: 31 March 2018, 03:04:59 »
The Centurion factory on New Avalon doesn't date back centuries. It was built in the 31st century after Corean's other Centurion factory was built, so it would be VLK-QA Valkyries only.

An amusing twist would be if it was Wells Technologies' factory on Luthien that has this backlog of output and it's discovered after they get nationalised for selling some of their production to the Lyrans. So there's a massive supply of BattleMechs available to the Draconis Combine - but they're all CGR-1A1 Chargers.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1021 on: 31 March 2018, 04:44:57 »
IIRC, the depot on helm had battlemechs in it that were destroyed when the facility went up; what if instead the Grey Death wound up with them intact, as well as a couple dropships? Royal designs, better than the dragoons were using.

al103

• Corporal
« Reply #1022 on: 31 March 2018, 05:47:07 »
IIRC, the depot on helm had battlemechs in it that were destroyed when the facility went up; what if instead the Grey Death wound up with them intact, as well as a couple dropships? Royal designs, better than the dragoons were using.
You mean saved just two dropships of mechs? Because IIRC all of them would require much much more... how much is unclear, but IIRC there was at least regiment.

That said some would go to Combine by agreement. Don't remember if it was specified how many, Ricol was gunning for memory core anyway.

Most important that way is that in such situtation they would extract intact core with it's periphery and not just dump copy.

Also this way GDL is unlikely to go FU mode so there would be core in Steiners possession and copy in Combine possession. Liao and Marik are clear losers this way. Which have interesting implications...

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #1023 on: 31 March 2018, 18:53:10 »
In the Grey Death after Helm Davis McCall started using a Star League Highlander.
Other SL mechs were also added.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1024 on: 01 April 2018, 01:32:20 »
IIRC, the books indicate that McCall found the design in the copy of the Core that the GDL kept and had the Highlander built specially for him, rather than the Highlander being looted from the cache.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #1025 on: 01 April 2018, 01:51:53 »
That was one scenario I had not heard about, which book was that in.
It is a long time since I read up on the GDL so I can be wrong.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1026 on: 01 April 2018, 17:41:27 »
It's probably in the grey death book, which is so bloody old i've never seen a physical copy.

I'm talking about a few lines in 'price of glory' where the mechs are smashed by a river re-diverting into them after the water was super-heated by the reactor the comstar idiot brought on line.

And McCall didn't get that highlander until the ilKahn-election-lull in the clan invasion, IIRC. The Grey Death got mauled, and had to rebuild; he commissioned it during that. How a mercenary company got the cash to rebuild is glossed over, but I guess they had a bunch of cash earned during SW4 and '39, as well as going into debt.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2018, 17:44:06 by Greatclub »

Mal-3

• Corporal
    • Fenspace
« Reply #1027 on: 02 April 2018, 21:11:26 »
#533 (I think?) - The Death of Cameron

So this one just popped into my head, and I thought I'd inflict it on you. It's the year 2765; posit a Star League that's a little less Game of Thrones-y in its set up, but the politics are no less byzantine and ridiculous than they usually are. The League is ruled by Richard Cameron, by virtue of being one of the biggest weasels in the pack and having the support of the biggest weasel, his BFF Stefan Amaris. The galaxy is his, none dare challenge Richard Cameron's rule for fear of his reprisal.

And then without warning he just keels over and croaks. The succession is... confused, and everybody's scrambling. Either to take the top slot, or just to make sure the other guy doesn't get it.

...okay so basically I kinda want to The Death of Stalin but with Fall-era BattleTech characters instead of the Soviet Central Committee. I think there's potential there beyond the usual big-war-shooty-shooty thing.
Mal-3, semi-professional Fun Tyrant
Join Fenspace, see the galaxy, mutate & take over the world.

epion

• Recruit
« Reply #1028 on: 03 April 2018, 09:40:31 »
I had to facepalm after reading that 'Game of Thrones' bit ... whatever.

Problem. Why should the succession be in doubt? Amaris Civil War made a mess of things because he had the whole Cameron family killed. In this case you still have rightful heir's and heiress' to the throne.

Atlan

• Sergeant
« Reply #1029 on: 17 April 2018, 00:38:26 »
A slightly more compact inner sphere.

I was playing around with a spreadsheet program, as I tend to do when the fancy strikes me, and I was plugging in the numbers of planets in battletech, and came up with some interesting results.

According to the Sarna page for the Alliance grand survey, where they counted how many colonies there were within X lightyears of Terra, the density of planets dropped a LOT as time went on. By the start of the succession wars, planetery density was less than 10% of what it had been in 2172.

Think about that. Before comstar (and their technological regression), before the Succession Wars turned planets uninhabitable, even before the Star League started keeping their best technology under wraps, there was fewer and fewer planets per square lightyear as time went on.

year        planets        radius   density (circ)   % of 2172
2172         112        40   0.022281692   100
2199         395        90   0.0155225191   69.6649029982
2216         461        100   0.0146740858   65.8571428571
2235          619         120   0.0136829041   61.4087301587
3000ish   2,000     550   0.0021045282   9.4451003542

So, what if there wasnt? What if the galaxy, using exactly the same primitive technology the Terran Alliance had for terraforming, kept colonising as their ancestors had?

Instead of the canon 2000 worlds across a sphere 500 lightyears in radius, you'd have those same 2000-ish worlds in a 220 light year radius. No successor state would be more than 8 jumps from end to end. A tighter, more compact inner sphere would make travel times much shorter, in turn doing interesting things to interstellar shipping of goods and armies.

al103

• Corporal
« Reply #1030 on: 19 April 2018, 20:35:02 »
Instead of the canon 2000 worlds across a sphere 500 lightyears in radius, you'd have those same 2000-ish worlds in a 220 light year radius. No successor state would be more than 8 jumps from end to end. A tighter, more compact inner sphere would make travel times much shorter, in turn doing interesting things to interstellar shipping of goods and armies.
1. There wouldn't BE Successor States in such scenario. It's much easier for Terra to control things if everything is 2 months of travel away.
2. Such scenario is implausible as in big part colonization was fueled by "as far as possible from those ******".
In big part colonization was "as far as possible "

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #1031 on: 19 April 2018, 20:50:43 »
1. There wouldn't BE Successor States in such scenario. It's much easier for Terra to control things if everything is 2 months of travel away.
2. Such scenario is implausible as in big part colonization was fueled by "as far as possible from those ******".
In big part colonization was "as far as possible "
Well, the thing is, why did Terra let people get 'as far as possible from those arrogant asses'?  Why not simply exile them to the desert or bogs of otherwise perfectly fine planets inside the already developed area?  After all, they built the Jumpships.  They can probably program them to only have a limited number of valid destinations in their computers.  And why let the disaffected and rebellious off Earth in the first place?  Why not keep them where you can keep an eye on them, and let more trusted political movements and people leave?  Who cares if the Quebecois are still agitating for a free state-that's no reason to give them a whole planet to turn into Neu-Quebec.  More than ten planets is spreading your first century of colonization and development effort WAAAY to thin, in my opinion.
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

al103

• Corporal
« Reply #1032 on: 23 April 2018, 22:28:08 »
#534?

So... Recently I was reminded about old mistakes of "clan marital traditions" and "Natasha Kurita". And it bugs me. So...

Takashi Kurita was old man. Not ancient (even 3000th IS med tech is better than that) but old. But when Wolf Dragoons joined Combine service he personally met they top officers and he found himself in company in another old warrior and something clicked. Strange not-exactly-romance between Coordinator and Black Widow surprised everybody, the only thing that wasn't was that it didn't gone anywhere... at least until Black Dragon were pissed off enough by situation to stage an assassination. After long day of defense, attacks, counterattacks and many people killed together it became just plain romance and soon Combine welcomed new wife of their aged Coordinator...

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1033 on: 24 April 2018, 01:30:47 »
That would certainly be a plausible reaction by the Black Dragon Society.

Although Takashi's wife was alive in the 3050s so there would need to be some adjustments to canon.

al103

• Corporal
« Reply #1034 on: 24 April 2018, 03:53:41 »
Although Takashi's wife was alive in the 3050s so there would need to be some adjustments to canon.
Or she could be dead as result of said assassination attempt.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #1035 on: 24 April 2018, 05:13:59 »
While I understand the age of the two involved it does possible create an interesting future character who could claim the Kerensky bloodname and the Kurita throne. ;) Perhaps an earlier coupling during the Dragoons contract with the Combine would produce a more realistic offspring but the possibilities of such are intriguing....

Swords of Fire

• Corporal
« Reply #1036 on: 24 April 2018, 05:50:16 »
The reaction of the clans would be interesting, having the Kuritans marry one of the members of the premier bloodline. I could see the Jaguars and Falcons fighting over who invades the Combine. Or alternatively, Ulric winning the bidding if only to yell at Natasha asking 'What were you thinking'.
Sometimes I think that Australia was the inspiration for the Periphery, simply because they both look really good from a long way away, but up close, everything is trying to kill you.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1037 on: 24 April 2018, 15:32:28 »
Or alternatively, Ulric winning the bidding if only to yell at Natasha asking 'What were you thinking'.
Ehhh... It seemed like a good idea at the time.

epion

• Recruit
« Reply #1038 on: 01 May 2018, 14:30:07 »
535 Camerons return Part 1

07:55 20th of August, 3028
Ceti Alpha system, Nadir Jump Point
THNS Phoenix, McKenna-class Battleship, Command Variant
Admirals Quarters

Fleet Admiral Marianne Sanderson sat in her office reading various ready reports. She still couldn’t wrap her head completely around the idea of invading all five Successor States. Well, she could, but it still boggled the mind in her opinion. Especially with all the intelligence reports of how hopelessly outclassed their targets would be. Holding those worlds however would be another matter entirely.

Regrettably her musings where interrupted by the beeping of her com terminal.

“Sanderson here”, she replied, her voice promising humiliation to anyone interrupting her without good reason.

“It’s 0755, Fleet Admiral”, came the dry voice of her XO before he closed the line.
Sighting in defeat Marianna gave one last look at her paperwork. Standing up and stretching all the kinks out of her body Marianna gave one last controlling look over her Uniform. With everything as it should be she left her office and made her way to the Bridge.
Even after years of service on a space ship her stomach still made flips the moment she left the grav-deck. Gliding through zero gravity several crewman, NCOs and officers saluted her on her way which she returned crisply, always making sure her crew was not breaching any rules in uniform, haircut and accessories.

As she entered the bridge she could still clearly see the differences between a normal McKenna and the Command variant, the extra controls and consoles, the massive holo-projector, the double amount of personal and so much more. After she strapped herself into her chair Marianne tunred to her XO, who was strapped into his own seat, and was reading something on a display to his right.

“Report”, she said. The XO looked up from his current display and pulled out a datapad “All elements are ready to go and Damocles Command gave us condition green to start the operation on your command Fleet Admiral.”

“Ma’am it’s 0800”, called an information officer as the displayed picture of the Innser Sphere atop the holo-projector changed and a man wearing a splendid white uniform standing on a balcony appeared.

“People of the Terran Hegemony, nearly 250 years past a dream died. A dream, created by the best of intentions maybe, but achieved through the deadliest of results. A dream which could have been so much more, a true unification of our species in the age of space exploration, but greed and hunger for power corrupted and distorted this pure vision, like it did so many times before.

“And while the Star League still brought what it promised, it also enabled its own destruction, which now looking past, with the wisdom of bygone decades and centuries had been so obvious, so predictable. And so it came that this great vision, this promise of peace and prosperity, was first brought low, not by enemies from outside, but from supposed allies and partners from within.

“When finally brought low, the dream of our forefathers was then defiled by those who had sworn themselves to protect the innocent, the common people who could not defend themselves. Defiled by power hungry lords, who couldn’t see, who didn’t have the courage to see past their own insecurities and egos. And finally, after all it had suffered, this magnificent dream of a worthy goal was finally buried, buried by those entrusted to defend it, which deserted, abandoned their duty and broke their oaths, buried by madmen and madwomen, who in a frenzy of insanity abandoned any and all restrains to visit untold destruction not only onto others but also onto their own people.

“Those who fled the madness, those who broke oaths, abandoned duty and fled their responsibilities thought themselves free of the corruption and insanity of those left behind, never realising that they themselves brought the seeds of their own ruin with them. And those so called great lords and ladies who stayed behind raped and plundered a realm in need, butchering its people just to make sure the other cannot utilize them.

“That was nearly 250 years ago, when the Star League died and the greater part of the Terran Hegemony was butchered, raped and finally sliced into pieces. However, even in times of despair and hopelessness there were people ready, willing and able to help. These people, heroes of their time did everything to preserve what had been lost, what they had originally fought for. First they saved my ancestors, those who would have had a chance to maybe stop the coming madness, but were never given one.

“These heroes saved millions of people of all walks of life and from all of our planets of this once great realm. And here, in these hidden systems, systems set aside by wiser heads as a retreat should the worst happen, we rebuild. We rebuild a nation in decline, made it better and made it worthy being proud of. Through blood sweat and tears, through diligence and hard work our ancestors build a nation, build a system, where no one needs to be hungry, where everyone is given a fair chance and each person comes as far as his ability and willingness allows.

“250 years ago, our home has been savaged, cleansed by nuclear fire, desecrated by biological and chemical weapons and butchered through orbital bombardment. 250 years ago our ancestors made a promise, to return to our home, take it back from the scavenger lords, to repair the damage done and to take those responsible to account for what they and their realms had done.

“And should their answers be not sufficient, should their apologies not be felt true we would visit upon them what they have visited upon us, to show them the error of their ways. 250 years ago the survivors of madness and insanity, and all those who would join them in hiding and obscurity made a promise to finally take back what was ours. A promise reaffirmed by every Director-General and head of House Cameron ever since.

“A promise that finally after 250 years will be fulfilled. People of the Terran Hegemony, after 250 years of waiting and preparing, we are finally coming home and restore what has been destroyed, to finally take back what is ours, by force if necessary.”

Fleet Admiral Marianne Sanderson looked around the bridge, noting here and there men and women sitting or standing slightly taller, some even with tears in their eyes. She gave one last look at the image of Lord Sebastian Cameron, 26th Director-General, as he bowed to the people beyond the balcony, which couldn't be seen but definitely heard with thunderous applause.

“Coms,” Marianne calmly called, falling back into her training “Give the go command to all fleet elements. Operation Rebirth is Go.”

“What about Terra”, her XO asked softly as the bridge exploded into action.

“Terra is already ours XO, those fools never saw what hit them”, Marianne answered with a humourless smile which sent shivers down the XOs back.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2018, 14:31:56 by epion »

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #1039 on: 02 May 2018, 20:53:48 »
An alternative to the Clan Invasion...I LIKE IT!!!

consequences

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1040 on: 03 May 2018, 06:50:16 »
Here comes the new sanctimonious oppressors for your own good, same as the last three batches. Yawn.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #1041 on: 03 May 2018, 06:57:28 »
535 Camerons return Part 1

So where did they go hang out?  Are they the "replacement" for the Clans?
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Ironburk

• Recruit
« Reply #1042 on: 03 May 2018, 20:10:59 »
Joy, another group to kill millions in order to restore the Fail League. Wonderful, just what is needed. Well hopefully they'll prevent the Word of Blake from ever forming.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1043 on: 12 May 2018, 16:23:00 »
Tribble #536
In 2839, faced with a total interdict due to the actions of Charles Marik on Oriente in March of the previous year and the Captain-General's inability or unwillingness to resolve his quarrel with ComStar, the Free Worlds League came to an end as House Allison, House Humphries and House Cameron-Jones came to private agreements with Primus Conrad Toyama that HPG communication would be restored to their province if they withdrew support from the Captain-General. It is probable that Toyama expected this to take the form of parliamentary maneuvre, but frustration with Charles Marik, his father and grandfather spelled the doom of the oldest of the Successor States.

Smaller provinces quickly followed suit and recalled provincial troops home to guard against the inrush of Capellan and Lyran forces seeing this as a brilliant opportunity. However, no longer hampered by the Interdiction and with federal many regiments offering allegiance to the only leaders they could contact, gains were largely limited to the petty provinces that lacked the muscle to defend themselves. House Marik itself saw the writing on the wall and after Charles Marik's tragic death in a riding accident in 2840 his son Gerald Marik II used much of what was left of the FWL treasury to buy forgiveness for his family from ComStar, enabling him to embark on a lightning military campaign that saved Irian from Capellan invasion and secured the Marik Commonwealth.

Sagaciously, the new Duke of Marik formally foreswore any claim on the First Lord's throne while the Free Worlds League remained divided. With the cause of war ostensibly removed and having taken most of the available 'soft targets' both the Archon and Chancellor chose to consolidate their gains and look to their other borders, now under threat from House Kurita and House Davion respectively.

By the end of the 29th century, the former League had stabilised with nine former provinces as cohesive, if relatively modest interstellar domains and two large regions where independent worlds existed in a delicate balance of 'spheres of influence' between the nine states and four periphery states that had emerged as having interests - and in some cases having seized former League worlds.

Removing House Marik from the competition for domination of the Star League hardly left their borders secure but both the Marik Commonwealth and the Duchy of Oriente emerged with military forces strong enough to largely withstand the Lyrans and Capellans as long as they remain in relatively defensive stances and can rely on the support and alliance of the Duchy of Graham-Marik, Stewart Commonwealth and Duchy of Orloff. The Abbey League and the Duchy of Andurien are in relatively weaker positions but their worlds are considered less valuable for the most part and both supplement their armed forces with relatively powerful mercenary regiments. Since the Lyrans and Capellans also now share a border near Terra, meddling in the League is usually a matter of spies, diplomats and deniable assets rather than major military deployments.

The two shatterbelt regions (the first between the Abbey League, Rim Commonality and the cautiously expanding Illyrians; the second between the Rim Commonality, the Principality of Regulus, the Duchy of Andurien and the Magistracy of Canopus) draw in disproportionate numbers of small mercenary units as the worlds and the emissaries of the larger empires play a careful game to win the independent worlds over to them and to deny their neighbours the same chance. Low level conflicts are endemic but the majority of the worlds have found it best not to commit too much to anyone.

The main wild card in this situation is the Principality of Regulus which - far from the borders - won over very little of the federal military and has only slowly been able to build up its strength. As they are comfortably clear of the Lyrans and Capellans, if House Cameron-Jones are able to expand their military to parity with the Mariks and Allisons its likely they would be able to dominate the shatterbelts and potentially re-unite the Free Worlds League... or shatter what recovery has taken place.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #1044 on: 13 May 2018, 19:43:16 »
Hmm, the Chaos League or the Free Worlds remnants....

Though to think that the Lyrans and Capellans would not benefit the most from the softening of their second front. Able to concentrate on the Kurita and Davion fronts solely these realms might be on a more even footing with the two most powerful Successor States.

The Magistracy of Canopus is probably the best off after this breakup no doubt reclaiming their lost worlds and perhaps merging with the Duchy of Andurien eventually. Although an unchecked Marian Hegemony could also rise quicker in such a vacuum absorbing InnerSphere worlds.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1045 on: 14 May 2018, 04:15:39 »
There is no Marian Hegemony it's the Illyrians instead
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #1046 on: 24 May 2018, 07:06:57 »
The Mutinies of 3028

Concept: The leaders of the great houses wildly underestimated their population’s war-weariness, and overestimated their realms’ ability to support a war effort after 300 years of endemic fighting. The result is mutiny among both the rank and file as well as the nobility.

Execution: The rank and file of the AFFS is initially wildly enthusiastic about the invasion of the CC, having been promised easy victories and a quick end to the war. This is quickly shattered on the anvil of Tikonov, a world that has long prepared for precisely this kind of attack. Tikonov becomes the Verdun of the Capellan front, sucking in men and material from both sides in unending slaughter.

A number of both CC and AFFS units mutiny when ordered to Tikonov, either abandoning the front or going rogue and attempting to set themselves up as local warlords. Only the installation of Morgan Hasek-Davion as the new Marshal of the Armies of the AFFS, and Romano Liao’s brutal purging of the officer corps in the CC, restore some semblance of control.

These quickly prove to be just the warning signs of the coming avalanche. Internal trade within the Federated Suns breaks down. Bread riots break out across the Federated Suns outback. On some planets, the militia are deployed and protestors are shot.

Things are even worse on the Capellan side. The Northwind Highlanders go AWOL, heading to their ancestral homeworld. They expel Draconis Combine invaders, but the Federated Suns’ hopes that they would become allies are promptly dashed when they turn on AFFS forces on the planet and expel their age-old enemies.

Pavel Ridzik mutinies, taking some units or parts of units with him. Loyal companies and battalions fight the mutineers, chaos ensues. At the same time, Duchess Candace Liao attempts to secede with the St. Ives Commonality. Some units obey, others do not. Again, fighting breaks out across the Commonality.

The Federated Suns seems poised to take advantage of their helpless enemy when Michael Hasek-Davion sees his chance, and declares his independence. Capellan March militia and New Syrtis Fusilier units fight against loyalists.

Ran Felsner, Fenlon? Sandoval? Duke Whathisname ruler of the Draconis March, responds by pulling units—the Robinson Rangers, the New Ivaarsen Chasseurs, from the Capellan front in order to defend his own borders. Bogged down on multiple fronts, Hanse Davion lacks the men to enforce his will on his rebellious dukes.

Along the Periphery border, the Lexington Combat Group and Illician Lancers realize that with a combined 7 regiments, they field a force stronger than most Dukes, and begin carving out their own interstellar empire. They are joined by a number of other large mercenary commands, such as the Fighting Urakhai, creating a kind of freebooter empire.

The Lyran invasion of the Draconis Combine initially goes well, until they learn to their chagrin that independence fever in Rasalhague means just what it says on the tin—independence. Lyran forces are initially welcomed as liberators, until it becomes clear that liberated worlds are not being granted independence. The rebels armed by the Lyrans turn on their erstwhile allies, including the so-called Tyr BattleMech regiment.

Setbacks on the Dieron front meanwhile lead to discontent, which is exploited by Duke Lestrade, and the Federation of Skye declares independence. There is particularly fierce fighting on Hesperus II for control of its factories.

The Draconis Combine is plagued with an emboldened freedom movement in Rasalhague, and infighting among its warlords. Takashi Kurita attempts to remove Galedon warlord Samsonov for incompetence—he responds by attacking loyalist units within his Prefecture. Warlord Cherenkoff, fearing he will be next, allies with Samsonov, sparking a civil war within the Combine, with Mies Kurita as the rebel figurehead.

The Azami, rather than be dragged into a civil war in which they have no stake, also declare independence for their scattered worlds, fighting off both loyalist Combine forces and the rebels.

Independence fever sweeps the Free Worlds League, opening age-old divides among the member states. Units refuse orders to attack the Lyran Commonwealth. Instead, Andurien declares independence and promptly attacks the distracted Confederation. Regulus soon follows.

Into the maelstrom of chaos steps ComStar, which offers to support the various independence movements militarily in return for accepting ComStar garrisons. Skye, Rasalhague, Regulus, the Azami and Northwind accept. The Commonwealth, Federated Suns and Draconis Combine are placed under interdict until they withdraw from the independent realms. ComStar also preemptively seizes a number of worlds close to Terra, declaring them part of its protectorate. Nobody has strength enough to resist them.

Finally, Periphery realms such as the Magistracy of Canopus, Taurian Concordat and Oberon Confederation seize the chance to launch raids or even outright invasions of border worlds, expanding their holdings.

Conclusion: The five Houses still stand, but each has been all but shattered. Their ability to wage war has been severely reduced, with the devastation of factories on worlds such as Hesperus, Tikonov, Quentin and others. Dukes, Earls, Counts and Barons are now all more assertive of their independence across the Inner Sphere, knowing their house leaders dare not risk fanning further independence movements.

The Draconis Combine has put down the rebellion, but Rasalhague and the Azami remain independent, backed by ComStar. Its forces are shattered by infighting and war with the Dragoons.

Hanse Davion controls only the core worlds of the Crucis March—Ran Felsner Duke Whatsit is officially his vassal, but in practice Davion lacks the power to force him to do anything he doesn’t want to.

Michael Hasek-Davion rules an independent duchy, loosely allied with Candace Liao’s St. Ives and the mercenary empire. The highlanders on Northwind rebuff every attempt to negotiate.

Roman Liao controls only the Sian Commonality, with the rest of her realm descending into chaos.

The Lyran Commonwealth has lost control of Skye and thus its link to its putative ally, the Federated Suns. With no obvious successor to Katrina Steiner now that her daughter is married to a man separated by hundreds of light years of hostile forces, and the disappearance/death of Frederick Steiner, powerful dukes and nobles are forming factions and plotting against one another. Civil war looms on the horizon.

The Free Worlds League is gearing for a war to retake Andurien, but treads carefully for fear of another mutiny. There, too, a succession crisis looms as Janos Marik ages and his sons each look to secure their own futures.

ComStar forces are now spread throughout the galaxy, garrisoning worlds in Rasalhague, Skye, and elsewhere, in addition to controlling the nexus of the Inner Sphere around Terra. Whispers that this was precisely the outcome they were attempting to provoke by facilitating both the Steiner-Davion alliance and the Concord of Kapetyn seem far less cynical than they once did.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2018, 19:11:35 by Dubble_g »
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #1047 on: 24 May 2018, 09:31:54 »
Oh now that makes things much more interesting Dubble_G, much more interesting

cpip

• Corporal
« Reply #1048 on: 24 May 2018, 12:52:42 »
The Mutinies of 3028

Fascinating! So is this what you were alluding to after The Day That Heaven Was Falling?

I’d love to see this developed into something.

Takiro

• Lieutenant
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #1049 on: 24 May 2018, 15:29:59 »
As a concept for a single House perhaps two I think the mutiny storyline could be a very solid one. If the historic parallel is the 1st World War then the Russian Revolution is a good model for one House, while another could be France after Verdun (I see the Lyrans here where they just quit and say we will defend ourselves but advance no further), Germany signing the armistice (perhaps a sovereign is forced from the throne and tries to return after the war), or Austria-Hungary (hi Free Worlds League) just shattering into pieces.

Ever think of setting it during the Third Succession War? That thing ran crazy long!

And how about a successful rebellion by a cultural subgroup in the Draconis Combine? I am not thinking Rasalhague or the Azami but perhaps an American/Terran uprising from Annapolis or a Russian insurrection. Perhaps it could be a multi-cultural rebellion to throw of the weight of this neo-samurai regime?  While it was always my favorite realm no one ever thought of throwing of the tyranny of Shiro Kurita??

Register