Author Topic: 360th Special Operations Battlemech Regiment “Death Stalkers”  (Read 2975 times)

Sebastian Llywelyn

• Private
  • "I am the fear that haunts your mind."
This is a work in progress and my first work of fandom for the BattleTech universe, so more detail will likely be added once I’m more knowledgeable in the lore.

UNCLASSIFIED
FM 101-7-4 INTEL REPORT
IMPLDATE: Pending
REPORT NUMBER: Z3809
DATE: 04-13-3089

TITLE: 360th Special Operations Battlemech Regiment (SOBR) “Death Stalkers”
AUTHOR: Captain Cedric Henley of the 41st Comapany “Wilson’s Hussars”

SUMMARY: This is a formal intel report of the Special Operations Battlemech Regiment, alternatively called SOBR for short, officially designated 360th, and nicknamed “Death Stalkers.” The 360th operates under the banner of House Llywelyn, a noble house loyal to House Davion of the Federated Suns, and acts as House Llywelyn’s scalpel, focusing on terror tactics and precision strikes to eliminate high value targets and key military installations.
STRENGTH: It’s unknown what the exact number of troops assigned to the 360th is, but it is assumed that they are operating at full strength, which would mean they have roughly 1,000 Mechwarriors, tank pilots, infantry, etc, and somewhere around 5,000 various support staff.
ORGANIZATION: The 360th has three companies of battlemechs, Noble Company, Black Suns Company, and Bad Company (Reaper Company). Each company is known to have slightly different tactics that they prefer to utilize, as well as being known to adhere to different forms of "chivalry." Noble Company, Sebastian Llywelyn's company, is the "command" company and consists of Llywelyn's elite gaurd. Noble Company is known to be the most honorable of the three companies. Not much is currently known of Black Suns Company other then they have only been seen fielding light lances consisting of LAMs. In stark contrast to Noble Company, Bad Company, originally known as Reaper Company but rebranded due to their reputation, is known to be the most ruthless and even sadistic of the three companies. This company consists of mechwarriors who truly love combat and its bloody nature, delighting in toying with their prey before killing them, they leave no survivors. Bad Company's insignia was originally a depiction of the reaper on a black background and red boarder when their name was Reaper Company, but it has since been changed to a white skeletal hand "giving the finger" on a black background with a red border. Bad Company's behavior is allowed because Llywelyn believes that the tactics they have adopted are critical to demoralizing the enemy. The 360th has never been seen fielding its entire army in one place, presumably due to the cost it would require to do so.
TACTICS: The Death Stalkers is a fitting name for these apex predators, choosing to “stalk” and gather intel on their prey before making their strike, where they leave nothing but death behind them. The actual tactics of the 360th involves scout missions, followed by a fast strike carried out by heavier mechs to quickly neutralize any threat in one sweeping blow. The cover of night seems to be the optimal operating condition for this unit, as this is typically when they attack. This also probably explains the unit's choice of a paint scheme, which is dark grey with black and white tiger stripes. Due to the nature of their specialized missions, the 360th seems to favor fielding predominantly light and medium mechs, and some heavy mechs, but assault class mechs have occasionally been seen in their ranks as well.
LOCATION: It’s unknown where the 360th’s headquarters is based out of but it’s assumed that it is wherever House Llywelyn calls home.
LEADERSHIP: Lord Sebastian Llywelyn, second son of House Llywelyn is the known commander of this elite paramilitary organization, but its other military VIPs are unknown.
SUMMARY: This report contains all of what we know about the 360th so far. Unfortunately, we don’t know much more due to their secretive nature.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2018, 02:20:26 by Sebastian Llywelyn »
"By Freedom's Sword"

nomad_345

• Recruit
STRENGTH: It’s unknown what the exact number of troops assigned to the 360th is, but it is assumed that they are operating at full strength, which would mean they have roughly 3,000-4,500 Mechwarriors, tank pilots, infantry, etc, and somewhere around 1,000-2,500 various support staff.

you might want to switch these numbers around, or give a VERY GOOD reasoning as to how 2500 people support almost twice their number of combatants. the general rule of thumb for staffing is 5- 10 support personnel to every combatant. so for a force of say 500 mechanized infantry, not touching MechWarriors, you need between 1000-1500 people "behind the lines" not even just the technicians and mechanics and the cooks, etc. etc. etc. so, since this is a "Special Operations Battlemech Regiment" I would drop the numbers of direct combatants, but make the infantry all BA, and the Mechs all Omni and so on, to show the "Elite-ness" of this Regiment.

« Last Edit: 06 April 2018, 11:18:19 by nomad_345 »

Sebastian Llywelyn

• Private
Thanks Nomad, that's a very good point.
"By Freedom's Sword"

Moglwi

• Recruit
Can you get spec ops battle mech?  Size and weight of both the mech and there transport  requirement kinda cuts down on possible missions that they can do?

DOC_Agren

• Major
Well LAMs fit the role well
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
Also, stealth-armored ´Mechs used right should have a decent chance to only be noticed when stuff starts blowing up.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Sebastian Llywelyn

• Private
Both are also really good ideas, which I hadn't even thought of. At first I didn't think stealth armor would worked since it was developed by the Capellan Confederation, but upon doing some research I found that the Federated Suns stole the schematics in 3071 so it will work. And then the LAMs will fit perfectly into the fast attack tactics employed by the 360th.  ;D
"By Freedom's Sword"

Sebastian Llywelyn

• Private
I have an insignia for Bad Company, but I won't be posting it because I don't want to get a strike on my account.
"By Freedom's Sword"

Register