Author Topic: Character creation?  (Read 19339 times)

Tempus

• Sergeant
  • Gizzled vet and 2D10 Heretic
Re: Character creation?
« Reply #30 on: 28 February 2011, 21:01:14 »
Which is around right anyway.  If you have a miltiary character with a single TOD, you're looking at a 25 year old which should be 5400 pts (5K base +100 per year odler than 21) plus another 300 from the aging table.

-Jackmc

Exactly the logic for the figure we chose.  we figured we wanted folks with a bit of maturity, who had (on average) done one tour of duty or a few years of real life after schooling..  so we said 'ok with that as a baseline 5500 exp is about right for how 'good' of a guy a merc company is looking for.

But we are using the idea from the book of a 'baseline age'  which means that's how much exp you get.. it does NOT mean all the characters are that age, and we don't award (other than the aging effects) anything for being above the baseline, or subtract anything for being below it.

I can quote the relevant section of the rules that says about 'experience is more than the sum of your age' and all that.

IMHO the way the rules presented the aging idea could have been better, because a lot of people seem to interpret it that you apply that '100 per year' to every character individually.. but I'm pretty sure based on the context of the next few sentences that it is NOT how they intended.

It also creates a situation where someone who wants to play a young hotshot with lots of potential and not many skills, is at a big disadvantage starting XP wise to the character with the 31 year old vet with stone average stats.  and really that's not very fair to the players.  I think a level xp playing field is far better
C4 trumps 4 Aces

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #31 on: 01 March 2011, 00:42:27 »
The way I interpret that section is it is presented as an optional rule.  You can use it or not at the whim of the GM.

It is all in how you approach it.  Some campaigns need more XP than others.

Though I will say if you don't use it you'll have a very difficult time coming up with a Captain who served in the War of 3039 and is now being shipped out to the Clan front with only 5500 XP using the module system.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #32 on: 02 March 2011, 02:38:14 »
Quick question on the 100XP per year of age over 21 for IS characters..how exactly do y'all handle that?

I've seen it set up so that only if the GM says "Okay, I want 25 year old characters" that you get the extra 400 XP. But I've also seen it set up so that if you happen to go over 21 with your life modules, you get the 100XP...so which is correct, or is it up to the GM?

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #33 on: 02 March 2011, 03:01:44 »
Up the GM, I would say.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Durandal

• Corporal
  • Notably Unstable
« Reply #34 on: 05 March 2011, 03:30:27 »
Up to the GM, but he should be careful to limit how old a character can start otherwise you have the same problem as not capping it with Traveller characters.
"If things around here aren't working, it's because I'm laughing so hard."

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 05 March 2011, 04:13:32 »
Thirding the up to the GM, though I personally think the GM should do what he can to keep the characters close skillwise.  If a 22 year old character wants to pick a ride the GM can give it to him/her, if a 45 year old wants to pick the ride he gets to pay for it to sink a bunch of that XP.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: 12 March 2011, 17:20:19 »
Ok, so I am horrible at things like making characters... So bear with me and my lack of reading...

With picking the Stage 0 affiliation. If I pick the Lyran affiliation with subgroup of Skye Province for instance. I pay the 150 XP from the 5K xp, and then each subset +XXX I pay for is that correct? And the - I get given back or is it that to get those items to a positive I need to spend more xp?
GreyWolf.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #37 on: 12 March 2011, 17:47:49 »
If I understand correctly the answer to your question is yes you deduct the 150 XP for Lyran affiliation with sub affiliation Sky Province.  The XP allocations listed in the Affiliation and Sub Affiliation are how that 150 XP is broken down.

So for Lyran your Will Attribute has 50 XP deducted from it bringing it from 100 XP down to 50 XP.  Edge Likewise has 50 XP deducted from it similarly taking it from 100 XP down to 50 XP.  Moving on to traits you then get 100 XP to Equipped which starts at 0 bringing the total to 100 XP.  Extra Income also starting at 0 gets 50 XP so now is at 50 XP total.

I know I stopped short but I can go on if you are still confused.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: 12 March 2011, 18:07:23 »
Ok, so what you are saying is basically the following...

5000 XP to start
- 150 xp for Lyran/Skye affiliation (Fixed part = 90 if added all together due to -/+, and 60 more from the Skye part <- so both together = 150)

This then leaves 4850 xp at the start of stage 1.

Am I correct? Because I was worried it was basically the 150 for choosing Lyran, then the fixed and Skye parts added into it (so essentially 300 xp for the Lyran/Skye all together...
GreyWolf.

Carbon Elasmobranch

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: 12 March 2011, 19:44:42 »
Ok, so what you are saying is basically the following...

5000 XP to start
- 150 xp for Lyran/Skye affiliation (Fixed part = 90 if added all together due to -/+, and 60 more from the Skye part <- so both together = 150)

This then leaves 4850 xp at the start of stage 1.

Am I correct? Because I was worried it was basically the 150 for choosing Lyran, then the fixed and Skye parts added into it (so essentially 300 xp for the Lyran/Skye all together...

Only the amount that it says at the top, yes.  Sub-Affiliations don't cost anything extra.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 12 March 2011, 20:01:16 »
Actually, it is
- 850 (for the mandatory 100 to each attribute, 20 to english, 20 to a factional primary or secondary language, 10 to perception)
- 150 (for Lyran Main Faction, Skye subfaction)
---------------
4000 XP remaining at the end of Stage 0, just before you pick your module for Stage 1

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #41 on: 12 March 2011, 23:07:46 »
Before it gets asked, yes that second +20 to a faction primary or secondary can be more English for a total of 40 XP on English if desired.

Aside from that Mara's got the rest covered.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: 13 March 2011, 23:03:17 »
Ok, so if I did something wrong please let me know... I just want to make sure I got the creation down so far.

Want to make a Mechwarrior...
Starting XP = 5000
Stage 0 = -150 xp (Lyran Alliance/Donegal Providence)
Stage 1 = -170 xp (White collar)
Stage 2 = -500 xp (military school)
Stage 3 = -870 xp + Field cost (military acadamy) Adv +1 year - Mechwarrior
(What are field cost? and does having advance also mean basic too (for later items that say need basic in a field)?)
Stage 4 = -800 (tour of duty) +3 years

So this leaves 2510 xp. What am I missing and can I pull it off?
GreyWolf.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #43 on: 14 March 2011, 00:18:05 »
Fields have a variable number of skills associated with them.  By default in the module system they cost 30 XP each granting a 6 XP rebate each.  So a field with 6 skills will cost 180 XP but refund 36 XP.

And yes you must have one basic field training before you can select an advanced field of training.  In your case that would be Basic Training then Mechwarrior.

Also don't forget the -850 XP for having 100 XP to each attribute, 20 XP to English, 20 XP to another faction Primary or Secondary(which can be more English), and 10 XP to Perception.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 14 March 2011, 00:27:53 »
Fields have a variable number of skills associated with them.  By default in the module system they cost 30 XP each granting a 6 XP rebate each.  So a field with 6 skills will cost 180 XP but refund 36 XP.

And yes you must have one basic field training before you can select an advanced field of training.  In your case that would be Basic Training then Mechwarrior.

Also don't forget the -850 XP for having 100 XP to each attribute, 20 XP to English, 20 XP to another faction Primary or Secondary(which can be more English), and 10 XP to Perception.

Ok, so it is 1660 xp left at this point... And I apologize but not 100% sure I got the adv/basic... I still need basic on top of the adv or the adv counts as basic too?
GreyWolf.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #45 on: 14 March 2011, 01:03:47 »
You need the basic field before you can have the advanced field.

In your case you would have Basic Training(required for Mechwarrior training anyway as can be found on page 84) then Mechwarrior training.  As such your character would be 18 at this point(16 at the end of Stage 2 +1 year for Basic Training +1 year for Mechwarrior Training) and have (5000 -850 XP for the Universal XP -150 XP for Affiliation -170 XP for White Collar, -500 XP for Military School, -870 XP for Military Acadamy -150 XP for Basic Training field +30 XP for Basic Training field rebate -150 XP for Mechwarrior Training field +30 XP for Mechwarrior Training rebate) 2220 XP before going on to Tour of Duty Innersphere.  Accounting for that will make your character (18 +3 for Tour of Duty Innersphere) 21 years of age with (2220 -800 for Tour of Duty Innersphere) 1420 XP left at this point.

Clear as mud yet? :D

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 14 March 2011, 01:38:09 »
Ok, so it is 1660 xp left at this point... And I apologize but not 100% sure I got the adv/basic... I still need basic on top of the adv or the adv counts as basic too?

Each stage 3 module has an XP cost then a list of fields split between basic advanced and special training.  When you do Stage 3, you choose a module, and do the same for it as the other ones (subtract xp from your pool and apply the points listed).  You then pick one to three of the fields it lists.  You ALWAYS chose ONE of the basic training fields, you can then choose to take one or two advanced fields and if you take an advanced field you can take one special field.  After choosing your fields you flip to the list of fields (page 82) and add 30 XP to each of the skills listed in the fields you chose.  You subtract 24 XP from your pool for each of the skills in the field

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: 14 March 2011, 02:26:04 »
You need the basic field before you can have the advanced field.

In your case you would have Basic Training(required for Mechwarrior training anyway as can be found on page 84) then Mechwarrior training.  As such your character would be 18 at this point(16 at the end of Stage 2 +1 year for Basic Training +1 year for Mechwarrior Training) and have (5000 -850 XP for the Universal XP -150 XP for Affiliation -170 XP for White Collar, -500 XP for Military School, -870 XP for Military Acadamy -150 XP for Basic Training field +30 XP for Basic Training field rebate -150 XP for Mechwarrior Training field +30 XP for Mechwarrior Training rebate) 2220 XP before going on to Tour of Duty Innersphere.  Accounting for that will make your character (18 +3 for Tour of Duty Innersphere) 21 years of age with (2220 -800 for Tour of Duty Innersphere) 1420 XP left at this point.

Clear as mud yet? :D

Ok, so I understand the part of paying for the Basic training and mechwarrior part... So the +30 rebate for basic training, is that a Basic Training skill/trait or 30 xp I get to put into a skill (like pilot/mech)? And same question for the mechwarrior training rebate?

Otherwise, it is pretty clear how you explained it...

(Sorry CGL, but you did not make it terribly easy for making a character... Rolling dice is a lot simpler.)
GreyWolf.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #48 on: 14 March 2011, 02:52:08 »
The rebate means you put that XP back into your pool to use on whatever you feel like.

The 30 comes from the fact that the rebate is 6 XP per skill and both fields have 5 skills (6*5=30)
« Last Edit: 14 March 2011, 02:54:14 by BirdofPrey »

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 14 March 2011, 03:01:00 »
Ok. So that answers the xp rebates... Here is another good question, it is about traits.

How many traits are we supposed to end up with? I mean in the affiliation alone is at least 6-12 traits, but there is only room on the record sheet for 8. Where do the others go or are you supposed to recycle the points to use elsewhere?
GreyWolf.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #50 on: 14 March 2011, 03:14:42 »
As far as I know, there is no limit on the number of traits you can take.  Most of the characters I have generated and seen other generate have more traits than fit; such are the hazards of life paths.   At the end of character creation you can buy some of them off with your leftover XP, and any opposing traits will cancel each other out.   

It doesn't really matter where you list them.  You could write small and put two traits per line on the sheet, or use a piece of lined paper for your overflow.  There's also a few fan designed sheets floating around.  As long as they are listed somewhere, it really doesn't matter.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #51 on: 14 March 2011, 03:37:07 »
Ok, so if I do not care for a specific skill... Can I drop the skill and put the xp back into the pool? (i.e. if I do not want Martial Arts +30, can I take the 30 xp and put it into Leadership/etc?)
GreyWolf.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #52 on: 14 March 2011, 03:45:04 »
No.  Just like the rest of the points allocated by the life paths, you get what the modules says you get.  You can use that rebate to pay for an extra skill, though
It's just like real school, no you can;t skip advanced math and take something useful.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: 14 March 2011, 04:19:34 »
Ok, and the 150 points for mechwarrior training for instance, that means 150 (or 120 with the 30 point rebate?) is split among the 5 mechwarrior skills (i.e. gunnery/mech, piloting mech, etc) correct? or do I still have to add from the pool to start those?
GreyWolf.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #54 on: 14 March 2011, 04:32:05 »
The XP for those skills comes from your pool yes (you just get to put some of that back in your pool, that's why it's a rebate)

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #55 on: 14 March 2011, 04:42:37 »
The XP for those skills comes from your pool yes (you just get to put some of that back in your pool, that's why it's a rebate)

And, for an inner Sphere character, you put 30 XP into each skill in the field.

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 14 March 2011, 04:56:19 »
Ok. So now if I have Art/Any +10, and it takes 20 to = level 0... Can I take those 10 xp and put them into something like language or whatever?
GreyWolf.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #57 on: 14 March 2011, 05:13:46 »
yes.

Any time you end up with XP  that puts an attribute, trait, or skill in between levels, you can take out the extra XP to bring the attribute, trait, or skill to the lower level and use the XP elsewhere.  With 0 XP your at skill will cease to exist.  Note that you can only bring it to the next lowest level.  See the optimization section on page 87.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 14 March 2011, 09:02:22 »
yes.

Any time you end up with XP  that puts an attribute, trait, or skill in between levels, you can take out the extra XP to bring the attribute, trait, or skill to the lower level and use the XP elsewhere.  With 0 XP your at skill will cease to exist.  Note that you can only bring it to the next lowest level.  See the optimization section on page 87.

However, I generally say : Put some points into those oddball skills in optimization...because that gives you character!

Jackmc

• Captain
    • How I pay the bills
« Reply #59 on: 14 March 2011, 11:03:35 »
Ok. So now if I have Art/Any +10, and it takes 20 to = level 0... Can I take those 10 xp and put them into something like language or whatever?

yes and no.  You can cancel out the skill in the optimization phase, but not while going through the modules.

-Jackmc