Author Topic: Character creation?  (Read 19106 times)

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
Re: Character creation?
« Reply #60 on: 14 March 2011, 12:11:49 »
But once I am done the modules, I can remove the ones I dont want and move them around a little?

I for instance want to make this character into a sort of dream character of myself.. I have no interest in Art other than occasional wishes I was better. But I do like military history and I also like computers and swimming... So I wanted to put those a little higher.
GreyWolf.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #61 on: 14 March 2011, 12:17:14 »
It is actually pretty well explained on page 87 of AToW but I'll take a crack at it.

If you have 35 XP in a skill at the end of your module selection at the optimization stage you can reclaim that 5 XP for use elsewhere leaving 30 XP in the skill and giving a +1 bonus to skill checks for that skill.  If you wind up at 15 XP you can reclaim that 15 XP for use elsewhere leaving 0 XP in the skill and making the character untrained in that skill.

Tempus

• Sergeant
  • Gizzled vet and 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #62 on: 16 March 2011, 16:55:36 »
But once I am done the modules, I can remove the ones I dont want and move them around a little?

I for instance want to make this character into a sort of dream character of myself.. I have no interest in Art other than occasional wishes I was better. But I do like military history and I also like computers and swimming... So I wanted to put those a little higher.

Optimization is all about 'rounding down'   You round stuff down to the amount needed for a given level, and if you don't have enough to get +0 you can round down to zero and not have the skill at all.

So if you had 25 into art, you'd be rounding down to 20 and stuck with art at +0..  it adds character, yer marginally skilled at some kind of art.. maybe it's whittling or carving, you knife obsessed fiend you..   OTOH if you had 15 into art, feel free to dump it entirely.
Note that for Negative traits, Rounding Down, does not mean to a smaller value, but a lower  number on the number scale.   If you have -150 towards enemy(ies) you 'round down' to the next tp level or -200.   If you have -50 in a trait that takes -300 min, like glass jaw, you round DOWN to -300  (which generates 250 to put back in your pool.

For positive traits you also are going down.. so if you have 100 towards a trait that costs 200 min, round it off to zero.

Now, since you can always put points (assuming you have them to spare) back into something, I also sometimes do a bit of rounding UP  during optimization as a sort of 'prebuy'..  e.g. if my small arms is at 45 points, and I know I'm going to want at least +2 if not more, I'll go ahead and round that up (spending 5 points from my pool) to 50 right away.  (rather than pull 15 off now, and put 20 back on later)

Clear as mud?
C4 trumps 4 Aces

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #63 on: 17 March 2011, 01:45:43 »
When I do optimization, I look at the point values of things, and pull from one, immediately putting into an area
I want points in.

Like, say I have

Small Arms 15
Unarmed 25
Piloting/Mech 45
Gunnery/Mech 45
Interest/Tropical Fish 25
Melee 25

I would pull the 5 points from unarmed into Small Arms, and pull the 5 points above 20
in both Melee and Interest/Tropical Fish, and put them into the piloting and Gunnery skills,
getting a result like this:

Small Arms 20   (+0)
Unarmed 20   (+0)
Piloting/Mech 50 (+2)
Gunnery/Mech 50 (+2)
Interest/Tropical Fish 20 (+0)
Melee 20 (+0)
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

greywolf79

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 17 March 2011, 02:22:31 »
So does a skill ending like "Small Arms 20   (+0)" mean you keep it on the list or do you remove it?
GreyWolf.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #65 on: 17 March 2011, 04:15:43 »
You keep it.  The skill is trained, but it is at level zero so you get no bonus to your roll when you use it.  You only remove a skill with less XP that it takes to reach level 0

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 18 March 2011, 17:15:39 »
Having a +0 in the skill also allows you to roll the actual skill, instead of having to make an untrained skill roll. So while a +0 may not seem like a lot, it does help out a bit (and you can't make untrained skill checks for Complex-Advanced skills, so its a benefit there as well).

gopher

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #67 on: 06 April 2011, 17:15:25 »
I was a wondering if there was a character generator out for AToW yet, or at should I say a good one out.

Werewolf

• Sergeant
  • CWN ANNWN
    • Thomas S. Wolf - Portfolio
« Reply #68 on: 06 April 2011, 17:46:07 »
Not that I know of, besides several Excel-Sheets to cope with the number crunching...

That's actually why I'm currently getting into Netbeans and Java stuff to get a CharGen working.
Could take a while, though, as I still suck at such stuff, with Delphi and C++ having been the last stuff I worked with eons ago.. *lol*
Cpt. Samoth Ze'ev
Unit: CŴN ANNWN, Spectre Company, Command Lance
'Mech: PKP-!A Peacekeeper

gopher

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #69 on: 06 April 2011, 23:43:07 »
lol well i'll be cheering for ya  [applause]

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #70 on: 07 April 2011, 00:19:27 »
Not that I know of, besides several Excel-Sheets to cope with the number crunching...

That's actually why I'm currently getting into Netbeans and Java stuff to get a CharGen working.
Could take a while, though, as I still suck at such stuff, with Delphi and C++ having been the last stuff I worked with eons ago.. *lol*
If you get it going you will be the hero to a lot of us.

EDIT: Right after the forum purge a program did pop up. Most of us treated it with a lot of suspicion and the program wasn't that helpful. The message where is was posted is here http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,101.msg2143.html#msg2143 read the rest of the thread. I wouldn't download it again.
« Last Edit: 07 April 2011, 00:28:45 by Cannon_Fodder »

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #71 on: 07 April 2011, 00:25:10 »
There is an alternative at http://bthub.net.  It has been updated since I last checked on it too.

Though I do find it interesting that I'm not the only one prying open the old java books to see about coding their own.

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #72 on: 07 April 2011, 00:32:42 »
There is an alternative at http://bthub.net.  It has been updated since I last checked on it too.

Though I do find it interesting that I'm not the only one prying open the old java books to see about coding their own.
That is the program I was talking about.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

gopher

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #73 on: 07 April 2011, 00:33:54 »
its not letting me install it. I keep getting errors :(

doulos05

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #74 on: 07 April 2011, 00:38:28 »
based on the other posts and its apparent pedigree, I'd count that a blessing and virus scan your computer....
I mean, it's not like once you having something in low Earth orbit you can stick a gassy astronaut on the outside after Chili Night and fart it anywhere in the solar system.

gopher

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #75 on: 07 April 2011, 00:42:43 »
ha..haha...hahaha  :'(

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #76 on: 07 April 2011, 00:55:31 »
based on the other posts and its apparent pedigree, I'd count that a blessing and virus scan your computer....

I've virus scanned the heck out of it with no problems.  *shrug*

its not letting me install it. I keep getting errors :(

Probably need to update your .Net framework in all likely hood then.

gopher

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #77 on: 07 April 2011, 00:58:45 »
i have no idea what .net framework is my coms only a year old but i guess it could be out of date :(

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #78 on: 07 April 2011, 01:09:45 »
The .Net framework is something that isn't part of the normal update process and as such is easy to miss the updates for.  Some games require it these days to run.

It's free and does take a bit of digging to find on the Windows update site.

gopher

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #79 on: 07 April 2011, 01:14:13 »
and so i shall dig