Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157620 times)

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #1020 on: 20 April 2019, 13:11:20 »
Steve McQueen: The Man & Le Mans (2015) Documentary about Steve McQueen and his effort to make a racing movie titled Le Mans. I'm a big fan of his, and it's obvious he had a great vision to make the ultimate racing movie, but it totally bombed in the box office and killed his dream of becoming a completely independent movie producer. McQueen was a perfectionist, and he spared no expense to try and actually race (he finished 2nd place with a broken foot at the warm up race in Florida- an amazing achievement) in order to know how it felt like. The lack of a script doomed the picture from the start, yet its fascinating to watch the whole thing unfold. Includes archival voice interviews with McQueen himself. 8/10

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1021 on: 20 April 2019, 14:28:12 »
The Darkest Minds.  I liked it, but the story was obviously set-up with sequels in mind that I don't think
                                            will ever get made.

Yea.  IMO the concept sounded decent, but the script and acting were sub-par..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1022 on: 21 April 2019, 09:00:06 »
Finally watched Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse it was the source of mixed opinions in my house, I liked it, my wife had this WTF did I just watch? feel, one boy liked it, the other not so much.

On the whole, I enjoyed it. Miles Morales is new to me, and I thought this one nicely captured the experience of a new superhero discovering his own abilities.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1023 on: 21 April 2019, 10:45:16 »
Spider-verse really takes the essence of Miles' origin (without the rest of the Ultimate line stuff) and adds one of the most popular Spiders (Spider-Gwen/Ghost Spider), creates a mentor Peter, and adds several other unique Spiders into a decent Character Origin film.
I saw Spider-verse in the theaters and wasn't disappointed in the least. While the animation style seems a little jarring at first, it is rather unique. I really do hope Sony Animation has a proper sequel in the pipeline. more cross-dimensional hijinks is needed.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1024 on: 21 April 2019, 11:27:49 »
I'm pretty sure that Sony already said that they were planning to, and that the next time would feature some more alternate universes, like the Spider-Man from the PS4 game.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1025 on: 21 April 2019, 16:24:29 »
A Sony animated feature beat a Disney animated feature in the Oscar's.  That alone makes it one of the better animated films.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #1026 on: 23 April 2019, 12:51:43 »
Aquaman.  "Hey guys, let's set Black Panther underwater!"   

Not a horrid waste of a Redbox rental, but it was pretty "meh."  Jason Momoa is good, but they didn't really seem to trust him to carry the film the way most Marvel films trust their main characters.  He has pretty good comic timing, is easy on the eyes, and possesses a fierce physicality, but the movie only highlights the last, and that only through a lot of punching.  The final battle was another hodgepoge of millions of small things fighting by swirling like sand in a storm rather than beings (which has been a weakness in the Marvel films as well, especially the Avengers brand).  (And in the ocean do things fall to the ocean floor with a bone jarring "thud" or just float off?  The movie isn't sure either, but drag definitely doesn't exist.  Stupid fluid dynamics...)  But yeah, the story is pretty shamelessly lifted directly out of Black Panther, but with white sea people (and Deep Ones.  The Lovecraft elements are there, even winked at in the prolog, but only touched on.  Which is too bad, because the comics embraced the trope more than a few times.)

Better than the dour Snyder stuff, but seems a missed opportunity.
« Last Edit: 23 April 2019, 12:55:56 by Banzai »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1027 on: 24 April 2019, 01:12:42 »
Just watched Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle.

It was pretty good, much more faithful to the original book than the Disney adaptations.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1028 on: 24 April 2019, 21:10:08 »
Just watched Jurassic World.  The narrator at the end ignores the impact that big game hunters would have on thirty or so dinosaurs that break lose.

Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1029 on: 24 April 2019, 21:22:32 »
Yeah, they act like thousands of breeding pairs of dinosaurs have been released across the globe.  In reality, it would probably take only a few weeks at most to round up and capture or kill all the dinos besides Blue.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1030 on: 24 April 2019, 21:32:02 »
Yeah, Blue gets to live.  Ha, we me not have a choice, Blue might not allow herself to be caught.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1031 on: 24 April 2019, 22:47:45 »
Yeah, they act like thousands of breeding pairs of dinosaurs have been released across the globe.  In reality, it would probably take only a few weeks at most to round up and capture or kill all the dinos besides Blue.

The pterosaurs might be a little hard to run to ground, but yeah, any land based dino is going to be captured in short order. There's no way the local governments are going to let them run wild.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1032 on: 24 April 2019, 23:47:08 »
Even the pterosaurs ought to be relatively easy to deal with.  It was officially stated that in every other instance of pterosaurs escaping to the mainland they were successfully found and captured/killed in a matter of months.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1033 on: 26 April 2019, 03:40:32 »
Even the pterosaurs ought to be relatively easy to deal with.  It was officially stated that in every other instance of pterosaurs escaping to the mainland they were successfully found and captured/killed in a matter of months.

My only consideration there is that there were so many of them that escaped.

Sure you could chase them down, track down sightings etc, they don't know to hide, so finding most of them should be relatively easy. Some would be very difficult to find though, heading towards uninhabited areas of South America.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1034 on: 26 April 2019, 09:20:14 »
I suppose it's possible, but word of god was pretty unambiguous.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1035 on: 26 April 2019, 09:38:28 »
Also, aren't they all still female?

Which would mean the dinosaurs were already on the path to re-extinction without any help from the volcano.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1036 on: 26 April 2019, 13:42:15 »
As we saw in 1 though, they 'adapt' so they can make eggs..

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1037 on: 26 April 2019, 14:12:27 »
As we saw in 1 though, they 'adapt' so they can make eggs..
At least 1 species demonstrated that ability, but there's no way to know if all species uses that particular segment of frog DNA. And I have to imagine that Wu would put some time and energy into addressing that issue in the last 20 year. When he wasn't creating gene-spliced murder-machines.   Also, the predator/prey ratios were all out of wack, and the populations were way to too small to provide sustainable genetic diversity.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #1038 on: 26 April 2019, 17:52:31 »
I saw Spider-verse in the theaters and wasn't disappointed in the least.

Same. I thought it was good the first time. Weird, but good. While amazingly gorgeous.
The more I watch it, the more fond I grow of the characters. It is very well done. Brilliant, I dare say.   

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1039 on: 26 April 2019, 23:34:18 »
Just watched Ant-man for the 2nd time, first time with my wife. She like it, as i suspected she may have like nice blend of humor and well written parts of the movie.

To be honest, it didn't need the Avengers connections stand on its own feet.  Hopefully, i can get her to see 2nd film.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #1040 on: 27 April 2019, 14:06:48 »
To be honest, it didn't need the Avengers connections stand on its own feet.  Hopefully, i can get her to see 2nd film.

Ask her if she liked Luis from the first Ant-Man.  There is a great set-up with him in the second film

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1041 on: 27 April 2019, 23:03:01 »
Went to go see Avengers: End Game but they were all sold out all over the city.  So I ended up seeing Dumbo instead because I wanted to watch a movie.  It was pretty good, there was even a nod to the trippy "Elephants on Parade" part of the original.  And I'll still see the Avengers later.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2019, 23:43:08 by rebs »

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1042 on: 28 April 2019, 07:31:44 »
Just saw Aquaman....good for a DC movie. Not the best but ok.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1043 on: 28 April 2019, 15:18:57 »
Ask her if she liked Luis from the first Ant-Man.  There is a great set-up with him in the second film

He's my fave 2nd string character from the AM franchise..

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1044 on: 28 April 2019, 17:30:02 »
Watched Caddy Shack today.  Good immature fun on a Sunday afternoon.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1045 on: 28 April 2019, 18:26:02 »
I heard that Rodney Dangerfield got really nervous filming that movie since he was used to doing stand up comedy and the fact that nobody was laughing at his jokes made him think they were falling flat.  Someone had to explain to him that no, they were all struggling to contain themselves because if they did start laughing it would ruin the take.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1046 on: 28 April 2019, 18:43:41 »
I believe that. 

I was watching the interplay between Chevy Chase and Bill Murray for signs of the strain that was between them.  They seem to have burried it by then, but their SNL rivalry was still hot at that time.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #1047 on: 30 April 2019, 18:43:04 »
Overlord.  It was fun.  Wolfenstein : The Movie, in every good way, so much that I expected a roboHitler to show up a the end, chain guns screaming. The plot is pretty straight forward, with a paratrooper stick sent to destroy a radio tower to allow Operation OVERLORD to take place.  Most of them don't make it to the ground, and those that do find, of course, Nazi Science Gone Awry.  Mayhem and bloodshed ensue.

Both Jovan Adepo and Wyatt Russell (Kurt's son) did solid work.  But Pilou Asbæk as the way over the top Nazi villain and Mathilde Ollivier as the French civilian who helps the paratroopers were both outstanding.  Ollivier especially does a lot with both the quieter moments and the machine gunning of Nazis and monsters.   It died in the theater, but hopefully rises (heh) in the home market. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1048 on: 05 May 2019, 22:08:03 »
Went and saw Endgame earlier today.  I'll be seeing it again soon so I can see the parts I missed whilest using the men's room. 

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1049 on: 06 May 2019, 00:40:40 »
Caught Glass.  Thought it was just Meh..  2.5 out of 5..  SLOW to get anywhere, and what little we saw of their 'powers' (other than Macevoy's wall crawling) seemed not really "Super"..

Then caught a cop/comedy, Show Dogs.  LOVED IT..  Couldn't stop laughing.