Author Topic: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)  (Read 198743 times)

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Re: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)
« Reply #960 on: 30 December 2018, 01:51:10 »
I forget, how do we celebrate this day again?

Same way Ghost Bears do everything. They have a temper tantrum and commit atrocities.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #961 on: 31 December 2018, 07:57:10 »
What are we going to do tomorrow night?

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #962 on: 31 December 2018, 15:14:46 »

Thought we would mix it up and commit atrocities then throw a temper tantrum. Either way pie and punch will be served.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #963 on: 31 December 2018, 16:04:54 »

Same thing we do every night Khan, try and take over the Inner Sphere!

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #964 on: 31 December 2018, 21:46:10 »
Same thing we do every night Khan, try and take over the Inner Sphere!
we should....
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #965 on: 16 January 2019, 12:30:45 »
I may or may not have bought another Star of Elementals: I only needed five to complete my Nova Binary ... and I found like thirty for cheap so now I have a Supernova Trinary of Omni's and Elementals as well as another Trinary of second line battle Mechs. I should totally stop but soon I'll have a Cluster and my bank account will be sad.

Of course like a dozen Mechs are not assembled and all are unpainted so I gotta work on that. I have to really bargain with my friends to do the work for me cause I'm terrible at it. I'm going to go with a custom style paint job if possible because while some of the Galaxies have cool schemes I want to tweak and combine a couple to make a unique sort.

Corky

• Private
« Reply #966 on: 19 January 2019, 12:19:46 »
Same way Ghost Bears do everything. They have a temper tantrum and commit atrocities.

I thought commiting atrocities was a Jade Falcon thing ?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #967 on: 19 January 2019, 12:51:25 »
Ghost Bears do it too. You can find post-Jihad evidence of it in the XTRO Republic writeup of the Beowulf IIC-PR where the Ghost Bears, utilizing c3i technology go after the Nova Cats.

"On the other hand, the deal entailed shifting the blame for the Ghost Bear atrocities to the Black Dragons, enabling the true perpetrators of this inhuman campaign to go unpunished."

We also see it during the Jihad when the Ghost Bears basically wipe out WoB units and civilians (IIRC, don't have time to cite sources at the moment) while under the impression that there are Wolverine links to the WoB, due to Uncle Chandy's misinformation campaign.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #968 on: 20 January 2019, 21:22:23 »
During the Second Combine-Dominion war, the Bears engaged in the wholesale slaughter of Nova Cat (and Combine) civilians. Among other things, they used Polaris-class dropships, armed with Cruise Missiles, to bombard Nova Cat cities.

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #969 on: 21 January 2019, 00:16:44 »
During the Second Combine-Dominion war, the Bears engaged in the wholesale slaughter of Nova Cat (and Combine) civilians. Among other things, they used Polaris-class dropships, armed with Cruise Missiles, to bombard Nova Cat cities.

Don't start none,won't be none! Best part of that war in my opinion.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #970 on: 21 January 2019, 03:36:58 »
CGB was going all Jaguar on civilians during Operation Revival. Really it was a matter of who resorted to orbital bombardment first.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #971 on: 21 January 2019, 15:50:53 »
Don't start none,won't be none! Best part of that war in my opinion.

Well no. The Second CDW started with simple, commonplace cross-border raiding. The Bears chose to escalate it to attempted genocide for no reason at all.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #972 on: 21 January 2019, 16:10:32 »
There was gonna be a second war, the bears just needed to do enough war is bad to explain the current power dynamic. It was never gonna be pretty.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #973 on: 22 January 2019, 07:48:55 »
Nova Cats are in a tough spot. Their Clan identity demands raiding and really they can only raid the Dominion.

OTOH the Dominion can't raid them back because it draws the attention of the DC proper and ends in general war.

Sooner or later the Dominion was going to have to do something about it. Genocide is a legitimate option in a Clan's arsenal even if they don't have the opportunity to use it much.

Of course that isn't nice and the Rasalhagians made the Clan pay for it. And even if the genocide wasn't successful it encouraged the DC to reign in the Cats. A win for the Dominion.

So yeah, from a Nova Cat point of view the Ghost Bear reaction is for no reason. But how can the Bears manage a situation where the Cats can raid but be unable to retaliate?

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #974 on: 22 January 2019, 09:56:10 »
I would have guessed that raiding as retailation (with the ocasional conquered planet as a bonus) would be enough.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #975 on: 22 January 2019, 10:51:14 »
But how can the Bears manage a situation where the Cats can raid but be unable to retaliate?

Send out false intel to set up traps and throw zellbrigen out the window when the Cats show up.

That juicy weapons depot guarded by a trinary is actually empty and guarded by a cluster.  And the cluster commander has been instructed to disregard the batchall process and treat any Nova Cats as dezgra.

Or better yet, there's a star of Aesir/Vanir hiding behind the local moon that will destroy any Cat dropships before they can make planetfall.

Annihilate enough Cat raiders and the raids will stop.

It's not necessarily how the sleeping/raging Bears approach things, but the Wolves or another thinking Clan could certainly employ such a strategy.

"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #976 on: 22 January 2019, 11:54:59 »
It was also a way to explain how the cats ended up where they are while also showing the bears aren't always or exactly good guys. Unfortunately the nova cats got the short end of the stick and I feel for the players.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #977 on: 22 January 2019, 14:48:53 »
Don't forget the Nova Cats were Abjured. As much as they are still Clan, to the Ghost Bears they are not. That and the typical over-reactions from the Ghost Bears means an aweful amount of pain delivered for minor transgressions.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #978 on: 22 January 2019, 17:06:49 »
Send out false intel to set up traps and throw zellbrigen out the window when the Cats show up.

That juicy weapons depot guarded by a trinary is actually empty and guarded by a cluster.  And the cluster commander has been instructed to disregard the batchall process and treat any Nova Cats as dezgra.

Or better yet, there's a star of Aesir/Vanir hiding behind the local moon that will destroy any Cat dropships before they can make planetfall.

Annihilate enough Cat raiders and the raids will stop.

It's not necessarily how the sleeping/raging Bears approach things, but the Wolves or another thinking Clan could certainly employ such a strategy.

Oh come on. That will work all of twice. The Cats aren't idiots. The initiative is all on the Cats side and you can't spread enough defense every where. Star Admiral Ackbar will have plenty of chances to develop his catchphrase.

This is a long term problem going back to the 60s and all 3 sides have history exploiting it.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #979 on: 22 January 2019, 18:58:48 »
The initiative is all on the Cats side and you can't spread enough defense every where.

I gotta disagree.

Initiative means little if the Cats can no longer trust their own intel or what the Bears tell them during the batchall.

Also, the Bears substantially outnumber the Cats, and the Cats are in a generally poor position number- and quality-wise.  The Bears can afford to set traps more than the Cats can afford to lose raiding parties.

I'm not saying that the Cats won't have a successful raid now and then.  But the Cats would lose against a Bear campaign of attrition if the Cats kept it up.

That will work all of twice. The Cats aren't idiots.

Great.

If the Cats chose not to play that game, their other choices would be to:

1) Stop raiding the Bears, which is a win for the Bears; or

2) Risk more assets by attacking en masse, giving the Bears a pretext with the civilian side of their government for more aggressive actions, which is also a win for the Bears.

The Bears usually react (slowly).  They don't usually calculate like this.  But there's no reason the right Khan couldn't employ such a strategy of escalation instead of just sending the Bear touman raging across the border.

This is a long term problem going back to the 60s and all 3 sides have history exploiting it.

Sure.  I'm just saying that there are smarter ways for the Bears to have played it.

Not necessarily better for the story arc or consistent with how the Bears are characterized.  Just smarter.
« Last Edit: 22 January 2019, 20:43:54 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #980 on: 22 January 2019, 20:24:02 »
Our Khan at the time was going a bit mad hatter.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #981 on: 02 February 2019, 17:54:41 »
Played my first game in a year, was nice to take a few of our mechs out for a walk...executioner F is still undefeated 😊😊.

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #982 on: 02 February 2019, 18:04:19 »
Played my first game in a year, was nice to take a few of our mechs out for a walk...executioner F is still undefeated 😊😊.
bravo sir, bravo
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #983 on: 02 February 2019, 22:31:32 »
bravo sir, bravo

In a duel (or period) me taking a executioner F, is undefeated. I thought it was 3 but was informed it was 6 years.....battle was between it and a UK kodiak.
« Last Edit: 02 February 2019, 22:38:26 by Foxx Ital »

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #984 on: 02 February 2019, 23:23:46 »
I've got a battle set up for this coming Thursday: considering either my Ghost Bear Star or my Wolverine Star depending on the tonnage. I'd love to drop my Nova Star in but I would be bringing in a medium or light force against a potentially heavy force which would outnumber my Mechs at least two to one. Although if the tonnage is right I could have two medium light Stars with Elementals to his heavy/Assault Demi-Company.

EDIT: Turns out my opponent wants to play a larger game and likes balance by tonnage not by BV.

Think I'm gonna bring a CGB force with a Kodiak 5, Timber Wolf Pryde, Nova Cat A or B, Mad Dog III Prime, Stooping Hawk (Unknown variant probably C), Fire Moth D, 4x Epona Hover tanks (Prime),  and 25x Elementals (Unknown probably base). Run a Heavier Star and a Harasser Star and unload Elementals into his rear if possible. He's probably making the maps so IDK on the terrain but I have to brush up on my vehicle and Elemental rules this week.

I'd like to use some of my other mechs ( Like my Executioner, Warhawk, Kingfisher, second Mad Dog, Stormcrow) but they are unasebled. I'd love to use my two Novas but I haven't mastered their Prime Variant in the slightest nor do I really care much for the other variants on paper: I have to expirement with them in smaller battles.

I also thought about bringing in my Berserker and Hachetman and declaring my formation a Rasalhague one ;)
« Last Edit: 03 February 2019, 03:44:49 by Tyler Jorgensson »

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #985 on: 24 March 2019, 19:43:31 »
Picked up a star of mechs today along with the new map pack. Got a Beowulf IIc,Karhu,Mad dog mk4,Tomahawk II, and a cave lion.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #986 on: 29 March 2019, 20:14:01 »
Turning points tokasha is out!!

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #987 on: 29 March 2019, 20:38:24 »
I am away from my hard drive/computer but will be purchasing ASAP

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #988 on: 29 March 2019, 20:39:44 »
I'm out watching a blazer game but plan on purchasing after. Restless is gonna be my punching bag all weekend 😁😁

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #989 on: 31 March 2019, 07:05:54 »
So how was the read...

*I am trying very hard not to go poke the Horsies.

Register