Author Topic: Looking for Alpha Strike players in Northern Virginia Fairfax Area  (Read 3711 times)

pete1163

• Recruit
Hey All,
I am just getting into Battletech. Played the video games back in the day, have seen friends play, and not would like to get into it. Especially with the new Starter sets coming out later this year. Figured it would be a good time to start. Played MechWarrior the clix game and know it isn't the same. Would like to start off with Alpha Strike before delving to deep into the classic Battletech.

I live in Fairfax, VA and am interested if there are other players in the area.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
Hey Pete,

I'm one of the guys on the NOVAG Meetup that have been discussing getting a group together.  Just wanted to post on here to hopefully let other people know that there is an interest in playing and also to incentivize other people to respond to this thread who are also interested in joining.
« Last Edit: 11 April 2018, 10:41:01 by Jester006 »
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

huntrava

• Recruit
Just joined the board for the purpose of replying to this thread!

Longtime BT fan and I'd like to get back into the game.  I visited the NOVAG site and it looks like there's a strong emphasis on historical tabletop gaming, but I didn't see anything related to BT.  Did you guys ever put together a group or get it started?

PS: played Alpha Strike at GenCon last year.  It's a fun, streamlined take on BT, and you could play several games of AS in a single evening.  I think it lacks some of the complexity of BT, but it's a good way to get started.
« Last Edit: 12 May 2018, 13:04:56 by huntrava »

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
Hey there Huntrava!  Thanks for replying to the thread.

We use the NOVAG Meetup group; which is called the Northern Virginia Gamers' (NOVAG) Pavilion as another medium to let people know when we are gaming.  We really don't use the official NOVAG website to post our sessions.  NOVAG does do all sorts of gaming, not just the historical miniatures stuff.  Although that's kind of how NOVAG got started to begin with.

We did start the group.  Right now, I know of myself and 4 other people that are willing to commit to the group.  I think the plan is to game about once a month-ish.  I gamed with 2 other people today; the other two couldn't make it due to it being Mother's Day and all.  We plan on meeting again in 2 weeks on the 27th of May.

The local store we game at is called The Games Tavern located in Chantilly, VA.  Its a nice place with plenty of space for what we all need.  I've volunteered to run a campaign for those who are interested.  We do have some people that are quite new to the game, so for now we're doing some free for all stuff to get people brushed up on the rules and basic tactics/maneuvers.

You're more than welcome to join us whenever you are able.  Between me and 1-2 other guys, we can provide all the mechs, vehicles, etc. for the games.  If there's a particular mech you like to bring feel free.  Look forward to have you game with us.  Until then, stay frosty.

Sincerely,
Ian
Did you hear about the LEGO store grand opening?  People were lined up for blocks...

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Hello gentlemen,

I can't commit to joining often, but I'm in the area as well (near Huntington Metro) and would love to get in the occasional game. I come equipped with the ability to supply a poorly-painted version of just about anything in the game, a decent knowledge of the game rules and universe, a few products under my belt (Campaign Operations, some MUL work, etc.), and if that's all not good enough I also bring cookies sometimes.

Let me know when your next game is and I'll do what I can to make it out that way.

EDIT: Send me a PM with the info for where to find upcoming games, if you don't mind- I may not see it here, I'm all over the place on these forums and sometimes I miss something right in front of me as a result.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2018, 07:52:08 by JadeHellbringer »
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
Thanks for the reply Jade.  Glad to see another person willing to push some metal.

I think we plan on getting together on May 27th at "The Games Tavern" in Chantilly, VA.  Its a nice store that has plenty of space for some glorious mech on mech action.  The day isn't set in stone, I'm willing to change it to get more people involved.  But for now, I'd like to shoot for the 27th.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Thanks for the reply Jade.  Glad to see another person willing to push some metal.

I think we plan on getting together on May 27th at "The Games Tavern" in Chantilly, VA.  Its a nice store that has plenty of space for some glorious mech on mech action.  The day isn't set in stone, I'm willing to change it to get more people involved.  But for now, I'd like to shoot for the 27th.

I know the one, I've been up a couple of times for Star Trek Attack Wing games. Sundays are always a little tricky, but I'll see what I can do. Anything you all need brought along? Like I said, I can supply at least one of just about anything out there (usually more than that for Omnimech configs), so as long as I know a couple of days in advance I can grab a wide variety of units.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
Wanted to post an update.  We plan on gaming the 20th of May instead of the 27th at "The Games Tavern" in Chantilly, VA.  Anyone who reads this who is interested feel free to post so we have an idea of how many people to expect.  I think we're sticking to 3025 tech for now because we have a couple new people and didn't want to overwhelm them with all sorts of crazy rules and such.

huntrava

• Recruit
Hey there Huntrava!  Thanks for replying to the thread.

We use the NOVAG Meetup group; which is called the Northern Virginia Gamers' (NOVAG) Pavilion as another medium to let people know when we are gaming.  We really don't use the official NOVAG website to post our sessions.  NOVAG does do all sorts of gaming, not just the historical miniatures stuff.  Although that's kind of how NOVAG got started to begin with.

We did start the group.  Right now, I know of myself and 4 other people that are willing to commit to the group.  I think the plan is to game about once a month-ish.  I gamed with 2 other people today; the other two couldn't make it due to it being Mother's Day and all.  We plan on meeting again in 2 weeks on the 27th of May.

The local store we game at is called The Games Tavern located in Chantilly, VA.  Its a nice place with plenty of space for what we all need.  I've volunteered to run a campaign for those who are interested.  We do have some people that are quite new to the game, so for now we're doing some free for all stuff to get people brushed up on the rules and basic tactics/maneuvers.

You're more than welcome to join us whenever you are able.  Between me and 1-2 other guys, we can provide all the mechs, vehicles, etc. for the games.  If there's a particular mech you like to bring feel free.  Look forward to have you game with us.  Until then, stay frosty.

Sincerely,
Ian

Thanks for the info Ian.  Looks like the Battletech gamers of NOVAG are alive and well.  Great to see. 

What time do you typically meet at the Games Tavern on game days?  I see everyone is getting together tomorrow, May 20th but I don't see a time. 

I've been playing Battletech for many, many years but I'm not an expert at the game rules or mechanics.  I'd be most interested in a campaign if it means playing with several other players in a lance along with a GM.  The pickup games are fun too if the campaign hasn't started yet. 

It looks like this thread is attracting some attention, so please keep us filled in with NOVAG's plans!

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
Hey there huntrava,

Sorry for not replying sooner, but been busy.  We normally want to start rolling for initiative around 1 PM on the days we meet.  We had a total of 4 people show up and make 5000 BV lances.  There are a couple more people, other than yourself, who have expressed interest in joining us.  I have a buddy in my board game group that has a huge collection that has been dying to dust off his figures, but he couldn't make it today unfortunately.

We plan on gaming again on the 24 of June and plan on starting a 3055 campaign.  Right now the options are people can play as a mercenary unit working for one of the Houses, an actual House unit for the Federated Common Wealth (i.e. House Steiner-Davion) or one of the Clans.  Each choice will have different starting points.

For instance, a merc unit at this time won't have any access to Clan tech and very limited access to Star League tech.  Now you'll probably be doing some scouting/raiding actions against other Houses and/or Clans, pirate hunting etc.

If you want to play as a House or Clan unit, you'll have access to better equipment; but that also means you'll have tougher missions.  I leave the choice up to you all  >:D

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
Just to make sure for everyone who reads this thread...we plan on kicking off a 3055 campaign on June 24th at a place called The Games Tavern in Chantilly, VA.  Start time will be between 12:30 and 1 PM.

I will be writing a regiment/cluster sized order of battle for whichever side gamers wish to have the campaign centered around.  I am also working on some house rules that include keeping track of a mech warrior's experience so that way you can improve their stats and/or gain skills that are listed in the Campaign Operations book (and some that aren't  ^-^).

Some other house rules that I can already tell you that will be in effect are:

-Floating crits (i.e. double ones on the hit chart are re-rolled to determine where the lucky shot will go), but have a penalty to the crit roll based on the damage of the hit (similar to the armor penetrating rounds for an auto-canon).
-Ammo explosions aren't as deadly, but still hurt
-Any physical attack that uses a weapon (hatchets, improvised clubs, etc.) are on the punch chart
-LAMs (if any   8) ) will have modified movement rules
-Artillery won't be as responsive in most cases.

Right now people are leaning towards playing for either Clan Wolf (pre-exile), a merc unit or a Fed-Com unit.  I'll try to keep you all posted as things firm up a bit more.  Hope to see many of you all for the kickoff.  Until then, stay frosty!

Sincerely,
Ian
« Last Edit: 20 May 2018, 19:40:05 by Jester006 »

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
I will try and remember to check in on this next month and possibly attend it time allows.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
Ok, I've put together a regiment sized order of battle that you all will be playing the part of. It consists of 2 battalions of mechs (totaling 88 mechs), 1 battalion of armored vehicles, 1 battalion of infantry, 1 company of motorized artillery and 1 company of combat engineers.

Your regiment is basically a standard Fed-Com line regiment that has been tasked with putting down an insurrection that has taken hold in the Sarna March. Several systems have declared their independence and have violently attacked Lyran government facilities and in some cases have taken the local government officials hostage.

Most of the major manufacturing facilities and the star ports still remain in the hands of the Fed-Com; but the local garrisons have been making disturbing reports of insurrectionists using advanced weaponry in some of their attacks. The garrisons are holding for now, but have been forced on the defensive due to growing opposition forces that threaten to overwhelm the defenders.
« Last Edit: 01 June 2018, 19:32:35 by Jester006 »

Tinyozora

• Master Sergeant
  • House Jurai
Hey, I'll be interested in dropping by for some Battletech, though I'll be out for the June game.  Hopefully I can catch up with you all in July.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
We'd love to have you join us whenever you can Tinyozora.

But as a reminder for others who view this thread, we are gaming on June 24th starting at 1 PM.  The venue is called "The Games Tavern".  They have plenty of space for what we'll need.

Right now, I think we have 5-6 players that will be showing up; but we welcome anyone who wants to have a good time pushing some cool mechs.  I'll try to print off the house rules that will be in effect.  Until then, stay frosty!

Sincerely,
Jester

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
As with every battle plan, it only survives up until contact with the enemy. While the regiment was making its drop into the atmosphere of Graham IV, the drop ship containing the recon company of the vehicle battalion unexpectedly came under attack by insurrectionist aerospace units; which intelligence said there wasn't any of.

The drop ship was damaged in the attack which caused its trajectory to change. Last communique from the drop ship said they were having to make an emergency landing. Sensors indicated the drop ship veered several hundred miles off course and made a hard landing.

Regimental HQ has given orders to find the recon company, bring back any survivors and to assess if the drop ship is repairable or salvageable. Intel says the local garrison forces are not in the area, so any armed personnel are deemed to be hostile. Rules of engagement for this op are weapons free.

BlackKnight1916

• Recruit
Thanks for running the game, Jester!

To the OP, I am very interested in Alpha Strike and hope to run a participation game at Games Tavern very soon.

Thanks,

Brian 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
That will teach me to skip a thread because it says "Alpha Strike"... I wouldn't have been able to make the June game anyway, but once I get settled in to my new duty station this Friday, I hope to have more time for BattleTech.  We'll see how it goes...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
Hey everyone.

Just wanted to let you all know that Brian (BlackKnight1916) plans on hosting an Alpha Strike game on Sunday July the 8th.  He has already reserved a table at "The Games Tavern", so all that needs to happen is for those who are interested to show up.

I won't be able to make it as I will be busy that weekend.  However, I hope the rest of you have a fun time.

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
Hail fellow Mechwarriors.

Just here with another update.  The next game for the 3055 campaign is planned to be held on Sunday July 29th starting at 1 PM. 

The regiment is tasked to retake a bridge head insurrectionist forces have managed to occupy.  While enemy forces haven't had time to fortify much, intel reports have confirmed the town where the bridge is situated has been reinforced with heavy armor.  Satellite imagery has spotted a lance of mechs of unidentified configuration within the town.

Regimental HQ wants that town taken before insurrectionists can send more reinforcements.  Heavy fighting is expected and therefore a battery of Longtoms and Arrow IV artillery will be at your disposal along with 2 companies of infantry.  Other units are tasked with securing the flanks around the area of this operation for any potential counter attack.

The importance of succeeding with this attack cannot be stressed enough.  If insurrectionists are allowed to keep this bridge head, they can bring heavy units to bear against the major industrial complexes and power stations and give them a staging area to launch other attacks against the capital.  Good hunting Mechwarriors.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Sounds interesting... hope I can make it on the 29th...

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
As a friendly reminder, a 3055 campaign game will be held this coming Sunday July 29th at The Games Tavern in Centerville, VA.  Start time is 1 PM and will last between 4-5 hours.  Look forward to seeing you all there.  Cheers!

Sincerely,
Jester

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
My wife is taking the car down to Norfolk on the 28th, or I'd give it a shot... one of these times I'll make it!

Jester006

• Warrant Officer
If you live in the area, I could give you a ride.  Don't mean to pressure you, just a friendly offer.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I'll PM you my address, thanks!  :thumbsup: