Author Topic: The Quest  (Read 166834 times)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: The Quest
« Reply #810 on: 21 January 2019, 06:04:48 »
I check at least twice a day, and he still posts faster than I can read most days...  :)

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #811 on: 21 January 2019, 07:03:17 »
As well as making FCS Melissa Davion the flagship, of course...  ^-^

I'm surprised they gave the name Kentares to a Patrol corvette vice something larger...

shouldn't that be Steiner-Davion?
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #812 on: 21 January 2019, 08:21:36 »
No. There was a Melissa Davion in the FedSuns. I believe that she is responsible for the modern concept of the RCT.

www.sarna.net/wiki/Melissa_Davion
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #813 on: 21 January 2019, 12:48:33 »
No. There was a Melissa Davion in the FedSuns. I believe that she is responsible for the modern concept of the RCT.

www.sarna.net/wiki/Melissa_Davion

cool, just a reflex, tis a shame they didnt give her a middle name then it would easier to tell
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #814 on: 21 January 2019, 12:58:28 »
I just find really annoying problem with this story. I dont check the boards for a couple of days and thier is like 3 pages with updates with comments and story updates....dang you.....cool story though.

ani't it a nice problem to have

Hawkeye Jim

• Captain
  • I'm small but sneaky
« Reply #815 on: 21 January 2019, 16:19:53 »
I like to check the board daily so I have something to read with my lunch.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #816 on: 21 January 2019, 21:46:08 »
  15 May 3057
         Tharkad

Regent Katherine Steiner Davion was losing her patience with her aunt Marshal Nondi Steiner's complaining. Once again she was dealing with the woman's griping and complaining instead of tending to other matters. "I'm telling you Katherine, your brother favors the Suns and Davion over the Lyran half and Steiner. Look at the massive amounts of advanced shipyards they have in operation in the Suns half compared to the Lyran half. There is really no threat to the Suns State Command yet they keep a large portion of the available warships there instead of massing everything here on the Clan border." Nondi Steiner griped

"Aunt Nondi, I can assure you that Victor cares about both sides equally. We cannot build the Fox's much faster, they cost way too much per ship. You yourself argued for us to build even more of them, faster. Yet, we are buying Destroyers, Carriers and Cruisers from Mitchell Aerospace that cost less than the Fox Corvette. We can almost buy 3 Buford Corvettes for the cost of a single Fox. Granted, the Fox has 5 dropship collars, but that is the primary expense of the ship. Galen explained it to me, better than anyone, warships are for fighting not transporting dropships, that is what conventional Jumpships are for. The only dropships warships should carry are those that will assist it in battle." Katherine said

"Then why has he waited so long to upgrade the shipyards in the Lyran half? He and even your mother should have forced this Mitchell Aerospace to turn over the specs for the advanced shipyards long ago and we would be on an equal footing with the Suns half. I swear...." Nondi was going to continue but Katherine cut her off

"Enough Aunt Nondi, you are going too far. I know for a fact that those exact shipyards were offered to Iota Galactic years ago and they turned down the licensing deal, flat out said NO. That is their fault. Now, for the last year I have listened to your complaining about my brother and the Suns half of the Commonwealth. No more. This comes to a stop right now or you can resign your commision and retire. I am going to inform my brother, ARCHON PRINCE Victor STEINER Davion that we need to halt production of the Fox Corvette as being too expensive and either produce Buford Corvettes or design something along the Buford's cost. I hope you understand me Aunt Nondi, I value your experience and advice on military matters, but I will no longer tolerate your constant accusations of my brother. Is that clear?" Katherine stated

"Yes Highness. I understand all too well. I will return to the Triad to better monitor the Clan front." Marshal Nondi Steiner said as she turned and left.

Regent Katherine Steiner Davion slowly exhaled to try and calm her anger. She had the urge to throw something and suddenly feared that she might have inherited the Steiner curse as she fought to calm herself.

Mackolla

Scott finally got word that the Farragut Battleship was on the way after several months of repair work. The damage to the ship ability to jump was more extensive than thought. He could not wait for Uncle Harry to return so that he could check on Bamburgh and then maybe go stomp a certain pirate band into the dirt.

Bamburgh

Brigadier General Cunnard was inspecting the newly assembled tank factory and watched the first Manticore roll out of the factory. Right now, they had all 5 assembly lines building Manticore and Turhan. 3 lines for Manticore and 2 for Turhan. Production was slow as everyone was still learning their job, current production was at 3 Manticore per week and 2 Turhan per week. The 2 Scientists sent to assist were already directing mechanics in tearing apart a Zephyr Hover Tank and wanted to dismantle a Patton, Rommel, Goblin and Alacorn for possible reverse engineering and production. They had spent over a month carefully taking apart an entire assembly line and examining every part and making exact duplicates of everything for future growth.

Efforts to make use of the planet's 3rd continent continued but slowly. The colonists there now numbered 35,000 but the continent was covered in a dense thick forest that needed to be cleared for proper farming to support more people.

Arc-Royal

Duke Morgan Kell was aboard one of the Invader Q-Ships while it performed battle drills. His people had spent months under the careful instruction of the MDF crews learning how to pilot and fight the ship in battle. Even though it was not a speedy ship, the live fire demonstration on a very old and useless dropship was more than enough to satisfy his curiosity on their worth. The MDF crews were leaving in less than a month's time to link up with a command circuit back to Crofton via New Avalon.

Gibson

Precentor Martial Trent Arian was inspecting his troops. He now commanded 6 Divisions of troops openly. He also had 6 warships, 1 Vincent, 2 Baron, 2 Carson and 1 Essex in service. He had finally gotten permission to plan to take Terra from Comstar. He just needed to select the perfect moment to do so.

New Avalon

Archon Prince Victor Steiner Davion had finally gotten some ETA's on when the newly released shipyards would begin to come online across the Federated Commonwealth. The list was:

Galax - 1st of 4 250k Pressurized September 3057, 1st of 4 1M ton Press Jan 3058
  Kathil - 1st of 4 250k Pressurized October 3057, 1st of 6 1M ton Press Feb 3058
  New Syrtis - 1st of 6 250k Pressurized October 3057, 1st of 4 1M ton Press Jan 3058
  Delavan - 1st of 4 250k Pressurized September 3057, 1st of 4 500k Press Jan 3058
  Alarion - 1st of 10 250k Pressurized December 3057, 1st of 8 1M Press June 3058
  Donegal - 1st of 4 250k Pressurized January 3058
  Skye - 1st of 6 250k Pressurized December 3057
  Sarna - 1st of 4 250k Pressurized November 3057, 1st of 4 500k Press March 3058

He figured it would be mid 3058 before any of the shipyards actually began construction of jumpships, dropships or warships. He even had a estimate forwarded to him from Kai in the Capellan Confederation.

Necromo - 1 250k Pressurized November 3057, 1st of 6 1M ton Press Feb 3058
  Capella - 1st of 4 250k Pressurized December 3057. 1st of 4 500k Press Feb 3058
  Ingersoll - 1st of 4 250k Pressurized December 3057
  Sian - 1st of 3 250k Pressurized November 3057, 1st of 3 500k Press March 3058
  St, Ives - 1st of 3 250k Pressurized October 3057, 1st of 4 500k Press March 3058

Tengo Aerospace was adding Jumpship and possible Warship construction at Sarna in addition to increased Dropship production.

Tukayyid

Precentor Martial Focht had returned to keep a close eye on the fighting between Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Wolf. He had decided to keep the AFFC informed on the situation. He had been surprised when he got the report from ROM on the actual estimated size of the AFFC warship fleet. No one knew where all the ships came from, but they KNEW Mitchell Aerospace and Shipyards built them. He suspected he could narrow their main facility down to a possible 6 systems in the area of Rentz. But had decided to not pry into the matter further. Besides, MAS had done them a huge favor in recovering the Black Lion and now a Aegis Cruiser.

The dismantling of the 2 production lines requested in exchange for the Aegis had been done rapidly, but he had ordered the advanced computer controls in almost new condition replaced with much older ones in storage from the retaking of Terra from Amaris. The production facility would also include limited Star League weapons production and also XL engine production. Estimates put each line capable of producing a Star League era mech every 10 days at full capacity. So a max of 6 per month, 72 per year.

Luthien

Coordinator Theodore Kurita had watched the swift defeat of the Capellan Confederation with no small amount of trepidation. The appearance of a large warship fleet from no where had really caused his Warlords to argue for a pre-emptive strike on the AFFC. But even he knew that was suicide when you faced that size of a warship fleet. Subhash Indrahar, head of the ISF, had accepted blame for not knowing about the vast AFFC warship fleet. But he pointed out to the Coordinator that they had reported the mysterious growth in Jumpship and Dropship production in the Suns half of the FC link to the just as mysterious Mitchell Aerospace and Shipyards.

If the ISF cannot get me those advanced shipyards, maybe Omi can persuade Prince Victor to allow us access.

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #817 on: 21 January 2019, 23:20:15 »
I wonder how someone is going to react with the WOB take Terra

Icerose20

• Sergeant
« Reply #818 on: 22 January 2019, 00:51:39 »
ISF is in a pretty tough spot, similar to CIA/FBI/NSA at 9/11.  No one really believed anyone could make Warships that quickly just like someone would think of using passenger jets to hit buildings. 

DCA taking a page out of the Soviet Union/Russian playbook for handling the NATO fleets, saturate the area with missiles.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #819 on: 22 January 2019, 13:36:38 »
If the Farragut will be traded to ComStar, too, then Terra would not be easy to take over at all but having said that if WOB moles get onto the Aegis and Black Lion then I would not know about these vessels even arriving at Terra.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #820 on: 22 January 2019, 17:29:52 »
 Farragut not planned to go Comstar at this time. Not sure what I will do with it yet.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #821 on: 22 January 2019, 18:30:24 »
name it Hanse Davion and make it fleet flagship.
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #822 on: 22 January 2019, 19:15:31 »
No... name it Melissa Steiner-Davion and make it the flag ship... :)

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #823 on: 23 January 2019, 00:23:10 »
Scott needs a personal jumpship, the Farragut would be perfect. :D >:D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Icerose20

• Sergeant
« Reply #824 on: 23 January 2019, 00:39:29 »
It should be named the FCS Clint Eastwood. 

"Go Ahead, Make my day."

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #825 on: 23 January 2019, 02:00:50 »
FCS Tentative Argument

Just give to ComStar as Farraguts are overrated IMO as battleships go. But it is still big-ass huge battleship.  8)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #826 on: 23 January 2019, 02:49:23 »
 1 June 3057
        Makolla

Only 6 Patrol Corvettes (3 more days) remained to be completed on the 1st AFFC contract, 6 Carrack Transports were already under construction in the 6 500k Pressurized Shipyards. Boss had already gotten a jump on things and had already constructed 2 additional 1M ton Pressurized Shipyards the moment they were awarded the 2nd AFFC Contract, bringing the MAS orbital yards to:

6 250k Pressurized Shipyards
  6 500k Pressurized Shipyards
  6 1M Ton Pressurized Shipyards
  2 2M Ton Pressurized Shipyards

The orbital factories now consisted of:

10 Germanium Processing Factories capable of 50,000 tons per day
  6 Engine Factories
  8 Jump Core Factories
  2 Reactor Factories
  1 Endo Steel Factory (IS)
  1 Endo Steel Factory (Clan)
  3 Small Orbital Habitats

Boss checked his on hand count of ready to install jump cores, Germanium stockpile both processed and sitting on the surface of the planet and steel stocks. He was looking for the bottleneck he was sure to arrive and trying to get a jump on countering it. His current stockpile of material was:

4 Patrol Corvette Jump Cores (3 weeks to manufacture)
  3 Invader Q-ship Jump Cores (2 months to manufacture)
  9 Buford Corvette Jump Cores (1 month to manufacture)
  4 Saratoga Carrier Jump Cores (2 months to manufacture)
  8 Carrack Transport Jump Cores (2 months to manufacture)
  6 Halsey Destroyer Jump Cores (3 months to manufacture)
  5 Victory Cruiser Jump Cores (4 months to manufacture)
  2 Rescue Yardship Jump Cores (3 months to manufacture)
  4 Monolith Jump Cores (4 months to manufacture)

The entire 2nd Contract would consume 11,475,750 tons of Germanium. He had 6,000,000 tons of processed Germanium stored on the planets surface and another 15,000,000 tons of unprocessed Germanium stored. So he was good there. His processing factories could process 1,500,000 tons of Germanium per month. On the surface there was 21,000 tons of Improved Ferro-Aluminum, 16,000 tons of Ferro Carbide, 1,800 tons Lamellor Ferro-Carbide stored. The factories on the surface could produce 4,000 tons of Improved FA, 2,000 tons of FC per month, 1,000 tons of Lamellor Ferro-Carbide . Steel was not an issue, on the surface was 19,000,000 tons of the stuff and Bamburgh had another 4,000,000 stored from their plant.

He had already sent to the surface his weapons orders for the entire contract and they were already being built and stored. Overall, he could not see anything that would bottleneck his production schedule. His current Shipyard Production Schedule was:

250k Pressurized Shipyards
 Shipyard One- Patrol Corvette (4 June 3057) Buford (Aug 3057) Buford (Oct 3057) Buford (Dec 3057) Buford (Feb 58)
 Shipyard Two- Patrol Corvette (4 June 3057) Buford (Aug 3057) Buford (Oct 3057) Buford (Dec 3057) Buford (Feb 58)
 Shipyard Three- Patrol Corvette (4 June 3057) Buford (Aug 3057) Buford (Oct 3057) Buford (Dec 3057)
 Shipyard Four- Patrol Corvette (4 June 3057) Buford (Aug 3057) Buford (Oct 3057) Buford (Dec 3057)
 Shipyard Five- Patrol Corvette (4 June 3057) Buford (Aug 3057) Buford (Oct 3057) Buford (Dec 3057)
 Shipyard Six- Patrol Corvette (4 June 3057) Buford (Aug 3057) Buford (Oct 3057) Buford (Dec 3057)

500k Pressurized Shipyards
 Shipyard Seven- Carrack (Aug 3057) Saratoga (Dec 3057) Saratoga (April 3058)
 Shipyard Eight- Carrack (Aug 3057) Saratoga (Dec 3057) Saratoga (April 3058)
 Shipyard Nine- Carrack (Aug 3057) Carrack (Nov 3057) Saratoga (May 3058)
 Shipyard Ten- Carrack (Aug 3057) Carrack (Nov 3057) Saratoga (May 3058)
 Shipyard Eleven- Carrack (Aug 3057) Carrack (Nov 3057) Saratoga (May 3058)
 Shipyard Twelve- Carrack (Aug 3057) Carrack (Nov 3057) Saratoga (May 3058)

1M Pressurized Shipyards 
 Shipyard Thirteen- MDF Victory (Oct 3057) Victory (May 3058) Victory (Sept 3058)
 Shipyard Fourteen- MDF Victory (Oct 3057) Victory (May 3058) Victory (Sept 3058)
 Shipyard Fifteen- MDF Victory (Oct 3057) Victory (May 3058) Victory (Sept 3058)
 Shipyard Sixteen- Halsey (Sept 3057) Halsey (Feb 3058) Halsey (May 3058)
 Shipyard Seventeen- Halsey (Oct 3057) Halsey (Mar 3058) Halsey (May 3058)
 Shipyard Eighteen- Halsey (Oct 3057) Halsey (Mar 3058)

2M Unpressurized Shipyards
 Shipyard Nineteen- Olympus (Oct 3057) Halsey (Mar 3058)
 Shipyard Twenty- Olympus (Oct 3057) Halsey (Mar 3058)

The recovered Farragut was on the way back and Boss was going to leave repairs to it to one of the Rescue Yard Ships. He could handle this contract easy and meet his promised schedule. He even had the emergency backup plan that Harry had ordered a while back sitting aboard 6 Mammoth Dropships (2 250k Shipyards, Jump Core Factory, Germanium Factory, Reactor Factory fully disassembled and packed) already docked to 2 Invader Jumpships but he did not know where to send them. Boss knew these were a just in case something awful happened, they could rebuild their operation.

Down on the surface, Scott had just watched the new 6th Davion Guards RCT get slapped around for the 2nd time by Honos' Cluster on the large maneuver area selected for this purpose. But at least they were getting a little better, it was not a complete wipe out like the first fight. Overall, it was not even that bad, the 6th Davion had over 75% of it's troops straight from the academies. But most of the leadership were Veterans. All of Honos' people were hardened Veteran ex-Clan warriors. While Scott watched the "battle" end, his mind was on his incoming new personnel, he only had Brigadier General Cunnard to command one Mech Regiment. He did not know what he was getting command wise with the new personnel. This could be a problem.

New Avalon

Archon Prince Victor Steiner Davion had gotten the message from Katherine recommending ending the Fox Corvette production as being too expensive and switching to either Buford Corvette or something else. He had to agree in some ways, the Fox was horribly expensive. It cost more than one of MAS's Victory Class Heavy Cruiser's. But, it was as much a political decision as a military one to end the Fox program. He would have to get some advice on this. He shunted the matter to the back of his mind, for now.

« Last Edit: 26 January 2019, 16:26:31 by 2ndAcr »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #827 on: 23 January 2019, 04:30:35 »
That's a lot of jump cores!  8)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #828 on: 23 January 2019, 04:44:13 »
 posted update, I posted it incomplete while working on it, storms in area and did not want to lose anything.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #829 on: 23 January 2019, 04:52:27 »
Thanks for the heads up... I'd have missed it otherwise.  :thumbsup:

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #830 on: 23 January 2019, 05:00:42 »
 NP, Boss does not believe in idle factories. Current construction will eat that stockpile up quickly.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #831 on: 23 January 2019, 23:52:50 »
How much cheaper would it be to build Fox Corvettes on Makolla.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Icerose20

• Sergeant
« Reply #832 on: 24 January 2019, 00:21:02 »
Probably, but it still be far more expensive then the Buford.   While both are called corvette class, they got way different design philosophies.  The Fox is designed to be protector for a fleet of dropships, while the Buford is designed to be picket for a larger ships.  The Fox could fight anything up to twice it size, by itself and give as much as it got.  If a Buford tried that, the crew will be given a posthumous Medal Of Honor, or the Captain will be cashiered out of the service at court martial. 

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #833 on: 24 January 2019, 05:40:03 »
 15 June 3057
        Mackolla

A fax from New Avalon requesting a possible replacement for the Fox Corvette had arrived. Scott had taken the request to the Boss aboard Shipyard One. MAS did not have the exact design specs for the Fox Corvette but they knew enough about it to work off of.

"The problem with the current Fox design overall is price from what I can tell. She is a bruiser of a ship. More armored than our Buford design. The AFFC has what, 10 or 12 of the Fox now? Instead of co-opting the design, just tell them to rip the damn collars off the Fox Class. Now they have a very powerful ship for just under the cost of our Buford. That would be my advice to them. Pair the current dropship collared Fox with the Fox II and you have a 2 ship combo that will make even a Halsey sit up and think hard before wanting to tangle with the pair of them.

The Fox is a elegant little design. A bunch of whoop ass in a very small package. Granted, our Buford's broadside firepower is much more powerful than the Fox's, what with each broadside packing 3 Heavy NPPC to a side. Buford is a ranged fighter, or that is how I envisioned her. Granted, I designed the Buford after tinkering with the recovered Star League designs. The naval autocannons hit like a brick, but you have to get close to use them, I figured our 3 Heavy NPPC could force even a Lola III to think twice about tangling with a Buford solo. No ship really wants to get smacked with 3 Heavy NPPC while trying to close the distance. After our first few engagements with the Buford out here, I took a look and we almost always were closing the distance to the enemy, granted no warship versus warship, so I figured the Nose weapons needed to be beefed up. One reason the Halsey and Victory have very powerful weapons there to put the hurt on anyone as we close in.

Just asking me for a replacement is dumb, tell New Avalon to give me more detail. What is the ships primary mission? Does it operate solo or in concert with other warships? Buford fights with other warships, looks to me like the Fox was designed to play solo. Possibly as a raider. Hence the 5 dropship collars, which is fine when your sucking hind tit on warships and cannot form a multi ship force or don't have enough transports to carry the invasion force. But, the AFFC can damn sure deploy in multiple ship force every time. And now they dang sure should have enough transports to do the job. I cannot design something when I don't know the ships exact mission or how it is going to be used. Warships fight, transports transport." Boss said

"Roger that, I will send your reponse to New Avalon and wait for some scathing response from the AFFC admirals." Scott said.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #834 on: 24 January 2019, 06:35:46 »
That's about the simplest solution I could think of. Reduce the number of collars to like 1 or 2.
Use the weight savings to upgrade the forward NAC's to NPPC's.

cklammer

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #835 on: 24 January 2019, 06:56:16 »
 The Fox corvette design is, as it is, the obvious victim of feature creep resp. requirements inflation -whcih can happen if a design is to fullfill many - possibly conflicting - roles.

OTOH, the classic SL designs are more specialist designed to be employed of the then-employed larger SL fleet formations.

I'd upgrade the Fox corvette design to a frigate using NPPCs making it as much heavier as required and keep the drop collars especially in view of the availability of the Gremlin Dropship but the design should be optimised for cheaper manufacture and maintenance.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #836 on: 24 January 2019, 18:56:07 »
I'm inclined to go with the Boss' initial instinct: strip all the drop collars.  The LF Monoliths have the drop collar end of the business covered.

Icerose20

• Sergeant
« Reply #837 on: 24 January 2019, 19:16:29 »
The Fox design is not a problem, what the problem is that certain people think that one Star League artifact will keep working.  All it takes is one worng number and that Star League artifact will be a useful for causing a light show over the planet as it breaks up into a billion pieces of space junk.   And the Fox is designed to work only or as part of a small flotilla, hence why those drop collars a useful.   

I actually look at the 'fleet' built a Mackolla, and cringe when I see ships without dropcollars.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #838 on: 24 January 2019, 20:10:38 »
Drop collars on warships are hideously expensive, while jumpships are designed to maximize the efficiency of moving dropships around.  If cost is the concern, collarless warships and regular jumpships are the order of the day.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #839 on: 24 January 2019, 21:06:41 »
 1 July 3057
       Mackolla

The AFFC response had arrived and once again, Scott had personally brought the fax to Shipyard One to discuss with the Boss. Scott had read the fax and they did not provide much detail from the previous message, to him it read as a "tell us what to do" type of message. He handed the fax to Boss and awaited his answer.

To: Mitchell Aerospace and Shipyards

Request for proposal for new Corvette to replace Fox Class Corvette. Mission is front line combat, patrol, rapid response, escort duties. Ability to deploy solo or work in conjunction with other warships. Needs to be cost effective, must have LF batteries.

"Well, that tells me squat. They have no clue what they want at all. Okay then, I don't have the exact design specs on the Fox Corvette, but I know enough to get by on. Stupid people inhabit the AFFC Naval Board. But it did not say a word about dropship collars, so give me about an hour to work this up. Go bug someone else Scott until I am done, I need to focus on this since I have to work the numbers some from what I know about the Fox." Boss said

Scott left Boss's office and headed for the Shipyards mess hall to kill some time. At an hour he headed back to Boss's office. When he entered he was greeted with "What took you? I have been finished for almost 20 minutes. Here, send this back to them. Tell them we can build them at a rate of 1 every 2 months time or they can pass the specs off to Fed-Boeing or Iota or someone else." Boss said as he handed Scott the quick specs.

Fox II Corvette

Leave everything alone except following, remove the dropships collars, rip out the NAC/10 from the Nose, Forward Left and Forward Right arcs, install 2 Medium NPPC in Forward Left and Forward Right arcs, install 3 Medium NPPC in Nose Arc, boost double heat sink count to 754. Anything left put in cargo. 7,386,619,360 C-Bills. Warships fight, transports transport. KISS.

"You want me to send it just like this too don't you?" Scott said, wondering if the Admirals knew what KISS stood for.

"Exactly like that Scott. Maybe they will get the message that I am not their design bureau. There, now they have a Corvette that can fight in almost anything either alone or with others. I would prefer to focus on bigger ships than Corvettes, but if they want me to build them, I damn sure will." Boss said

"Okay, I will send it just like you wrote it. At least for the next year I don't have to worry about them cutting us off. I guess that is about how long it will take for the first ship to be started from the mass release of these shipyards." Scott said

"Closer to 2 years by my estimates. They have to develop all the support structure. Some already have it in place, but my estimates say using the older tech jump core factories will slow stuff down big time, most will do a mass conversion to our advanced facilities and that will take time. Same as we did here, it took us a year just to get on firm footing, but once you get 3-4 small yards going, you can grow big time and quick." Boss said "Now, go send that message."

"On my way Boss, oh, how if the Farragut Battleship coming?" Scott asked

"I estimate 4 months for all repairs to be completed on her. We keeping her or selling her?" Boss asked

"Not sure, she is big though." Scott said

"That she is, I was just wondering, either way, her damage control computers had complete specs for her. Enough that I can figure out the rest if you actually want to build some to sell. I also snagged the specs off the Black Lion and Aegis while they were here." Boss said

"Roger that. I might pass that on to the AFFC, maybe they will buy some from us." Scott said as he left the office

12 July 3057
         Crofton

Harry and his LF Monolith had one more day to complete the ships recharge when a message from the Comstar station advised them that their requested cargo would arrive at Crofton on 1 August on 2 Mammoth Dropships and 1 Mule Dropship. Since they had room to transport the dropships, Harry decided to wait. He had already ben notified of the expected ETA for the Black Lion and Aegis Cruiser to Crofton as 27 July. He could also take on the care taker crews after turning them over to Comstar and transport them back to Mackolla.

They had already taken on the converted Mule transporting the AFFC fleet crews along with all the new MDF personnel. Plus they had taken on 1000 of the Ailette Exoskeletons he had purchased a year a go. He had the remaining 800 sent to Demeter. Since Harry had nothing better to do, he began planning the expansion of the Demeter facility. It might not rival Mackolla, but it would be close. Demeter had a huge industry and population size to handle the yards.

New Avalon

It took a few days for the response from Mitchell Aerospace and Shipyards to finally emerge from the Admirals in charge of figuring out what the AFFC Navy actually needed, and be brought to the attention of everyone during the weekly meeting of the High Command.

"Highness, the response from MAS is not what we wanted. This fax basically tells us we have no clue what we are doing or want. It is just a redesign of the Fox Corvette, nothing really new."

Field Marshal Jessup Winston, commander Department of the Army and Navy, just smiled at the announcement. A quick glance confirmed that both Marshal of the Armies Morgan Hasek Davion and Field Marshal Field Marshal Lisa Steiner of the Dept. of Quartermaster were smiling also. Winston had long dealt with MDF requests, he looked at Field Marshal Toni Reynolds, commander of Dept. of Military Education and saw the wince. Winston knew MAS was a sore spot for Reynolds because he had been raked across the coals for not being able to keep up with MAS's production of ships.

Archon Prince Victor Steiner Davion smile as he took the offered fax from MAS. A quick read enlarged his smile some. "Well, you asked them for a proposal, they sent you one. I don't see the problem. Looks like a huge money saver along with time saver. Federated Boeing and Iota Galactic will not even have to retool their stuff to put them into production, just make a few simple changes."

"Sir, the tone in the message is clearly, "Leave us alone and quit wasting our time. I would be surprised if they spent 2 days on this proposal."

"I bet MAS's chief engineer did not spend more than 2 hours on it. And in those 2 hours he delivered EXACTLY what you requested." Victor said, his tone ended any further complaint on the matter

Demeter

Luval, ex-Clan scientist was busy as a beaver building HIS production facility. He was a Weapons Specialist, but had always been fascinated with Warships and had spent years studying them in his spare time in Clan space. When given the chance to actually go to Mackolla's orbital yards to work he had jumped at the chance. Now here he was on another world but fully in charge of this production facility. He had heard of this Wolf's Dragoons and had even met a few actual people that were from Clan Wolf among the technicians sent to assist in the construction of this facility and would also remain to assist in performing maintenance on the Dragoon warships as they arrived.

He had been briefed by Boss on the best way to rapidly grow the orbital facility and had followed Boss's instructions to the letter. In orbit he now had:

4 250k Pressurized Shipyards
  4 Jump Core Factories
  2 Small Orbital Habitats
  4 Germanium Processing Factories
  2 Engine Factories (2 more in construction)
  2 500k Pressurized Shipyards (under construction)

He had the all the design specs for the Patrol Corvette, Invader Q-Ship, Buford Corvette, Saratoga Carrier, Carrack Transport, LF Monolith and Halsey Destroyer but he had not loaded the programs yet. For security, he would only load whatever ship he was ordered to build on a as needed basis and would then dump the program once construction order was complete. At least he had 2 MDF Patrol Corvettes here to safeguard his growing facility. His first Germanium order was not due to arrive for another month from Mitchell Interstellar and then he could see about actually producing something.

Broken Wheel

The pirates hit Broken Wheel hard and quickly pushed the green troops of the 1st Albion Training Cadre away from the Quickcell factory. Over 4 days of fighting, the 1st Albion Training Cadre suffered 27% casualties. In the end, the pirates managed to make off with 55 completed Pegasus that were awaiting shipment to their buyer. Word was sent to New Avalon.

Register