Author Topic: Metal vs Plastic. Urbanmech, Awesome and Warhammer  (Read 3056 times)

Luciora

• Major
Metal vs Plastic. Urbanmech, Awesome and Warhammer
« on: 13 April 2023, 02:07:48 »
Here's the latest 3 releases.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Metal vs Plastic. Urbanmech, Awesome and Warhammer
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2023, 20:34:10 »
None of those look bad!  :thumbsup:

warriorsoul

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2023, 12:06:59 »
 I finally painted an IWM 'mech for the first time in over a decade. Even with a painting handle, it's absurdly easy to rub off paint from the corners while working on these things. This was always the bane of my existence back in the day, you definitely wanna get them done quick and slap some matte coat on there pronto. That being said, the QA is excellent and the moldines are barely an issue on these. Plus at least with the Awesome, you can indeed pose them to an extent.

My Imgur:
https://imgur.com/user/warriorssoul/posts

My Instagram:
@faithandheresy

My Camo Specs page:
https://camospecs.com/author/warriors-soul/

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2023, 17:33:41 »
Also a nice Awesome! :)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2023, 18:17:17 »
Even with a painting handle, it's absurdly easy to rub off paint from the corners while working on these things.

What paints do you use? I like Lifecolor a lot, and they're very soft, with the issues you describe. On the other hand, Citadel paints - particularly bases - set rock solid. I prefer the thinner nature of the Lifecolor ones to do details, but happily use Citadel for that reliable base.

And please, don't mention anything that comes in the abominations that are dropper bottles.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

warriorsoul

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2023, 18:56:10 »
What paints do you use? I like Lifecolor a lot, and they're very soft, with the issues you describe. On the other hand, Citadel paints - particularly bases - set rock solid. I prefer the thinner nature of the Lifecolor ones to do details, but happily use Citadel for that reliable base.

And please, don't mention anything that comes in the abominations that are dropper bottles.

Ya know, it's probably more a factor of me using brush on primers because I got burned one too many times by spray on stuff over the years. I use GW/Citadel and Vallejo, but mostly GW.

Also, IWM are heavy, and I did have this Awesome pop out of my painting handle (caught it luckily). Definitely gotta be on your toes a little more with the metal stuff.
My Imgur:
https://imgur.com/user/warriorssoul/posts

My Instagram:
@faithandheresy

My Camo Specs page:
https://camospecs.com/author/warriors-soul/

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2023, 19:15:21 »
I always brush prime, it's therapy for me.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2023, 14:01:23 »
Also, IWM are heavy

Given the correct container my pewter collection could be used for sem-serious weight training

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

abou

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2023, 19:35:53 »
Stynylrez by Badger has become my go-to for priming. Significantly more durable than other primers. It is an acrylic polyurethane. With proper surface prep, I have had very little to no damage while painting metal miniatures with it.

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2023, 16:26:43 »
I thought that it was bad image quality, but that metal Warhammer is missing panel lines on the shoulder pads. It's weird that these things happen for mechs that were previously released in plastic force packs or box sets.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 27 July 2023, 03:59:02 »

I guess you don't want to hear about my collection of GW paints I have transferred over to dropper bottles then...

As for primers... I prefer my airbrush to brush or rattle can. Gives such a lovely smooth finish. Also takes no learning curve unlike other airbrush techniques.

Joel47

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • I paid for my Atlas by selling action figures.
« Reply #11 on: 27 July 2023, 12:06:22 »
Stynylrez by Badger has become my go-to for priming. Significantly more durable than other primers. It is an acrylic polyurethane. With proper surface prep, I have had very little to no damage while painting metal miniatures with it.
Same. The only downside is that, unlike normal paint, I must vent my fume hood outside when using it. A small price to pay for the added durability.

For bonus durability, I recommend Vallejo Mecha clear coat, both gloss and matte. Very tough stuff.