Author Topic: Strange question. Looking for a photo of my original laptop, i486dx2  (Read 3594 times)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
IIRC my first computer was a Midwest Micro 486dx2 laptop with a terrible monochrome LCD screen, trackball, and forward palm rest. Kind of beefy and thick as portables were in those days. No numpad with a PCMCIA slot. I'm trying to find a picture to remind me of what it looked like and my searches aren't coming up with anything other than the Elite.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

elf25s

• Major
by the gods...i thought i was only one that had one...
nope no fond memories about that one...and busted two little toes nah no fond memories of it
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Mostly I remember playing Ultima Underworld on that fuzzy ghost-riddled display and scaring the nerts out of myself.

But yes, it didn't take long till I upgraded to a Gateway pentium desktop with <gasp> 500MB.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

guardiandashi

• Major
I know I am dating myself...
my first computer was the family atari 800, that mom and I used to do my book reports in school. I still remember dictating them and mom typing so fast that she had to pause every few seconds to let it catch up (mom typed at over 100 wpm and would overflow the keyboard buffer) so type type beep beep pause

the first pc I bought myself, was after I graduated from high school, and was getting ready to go to the local community college.  I bought a 386sx 16 with 1 mb ram, ega graphics card, 3.5, and 5.25 inch floppies and a 120 mb hard drive (that I paid $400 just for the hard drive) the whole computer was ~1600 and they gave me one of the floppy drives for free to price match a packard bell pizza box system at fred meyers.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Apple IIe with a stack of Microzine software disks under the desks here. It was quite the device for a long while. Dad was never into games, but we both enjoyed playing Zork together. I think I was 6.

This is the closest I can get to the laptop. I don't think it was an elite, but maybe I'm misremembering the branding:

Even the grill in the power brick and the LCD status display in the hinge are familiar. Ultima Underworld, Wing Commander, Sim City 2K. All great fun and absolutely terrible display. I actually got Win 95 to work on it. Barely.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2021, 10:43:39 by Bedwyr »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
You think that's old?  TRS-80 Model III here... with a whopping 48K of RAM!  But it had two, TWO I say, installed disk drives!  Right next to the integral monochrome CRT!  I talked my mom into subscribing to CLOAD, the "magazine" that sent you a cassette tape with actual SOFTWARE and a few pages of instructions and commentary.  Some of it was even GAMES...  ::)

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
Oh man you said PCMCIA slot, and my 18 months selling PCs in the mid
90s popped right back.

People Cannot Manage Computer Industry Acronyms.

I wonder how many people remember that one now, ahhh nostalgia.  Oh and
sorry for just jumping in here, and saying that.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2021, 17:25:39 by Rorke »
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List

IBM PS/1 Consultant. 33mhz SX, 4mb ram, Soundblaster. 256mb HDD. Mine didn't come with a CD drive. that was my first experience installing my own hardware. The sound card didn't have a CD audio plugin so i had to have two sets of speakers plugged in - one through the back and one into the headphones jack on the CD drive  :D

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
The Classic Mac my wife brought to the marriage is still a very functional doorstop.  It even still gives the "xp" face if we plug it in...

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
IBM PS/1 Consultant. 33mhz SX, 4mb ram, Soundblaster. 256mb HDD. Mine didn't come with a CD drive. that was my first experience installing my own hardware. The sound card didn't have a CD audio plugin so i had to have two sets of speakers plugged in - one through the back and one into the headphones jack on the CD drive  :D

That's what I learned flight sim 3 on. Flew out of Meigs Field a hundred times in my C182.

elf25s

• Major
my first portable was a an ibm machine i think 2 floppy 5 .5 inch drives 5 inch or smaller crt monitor in green on left side and a folding full keyboard over the front weighting about 35 lb or at the time about half of my weight .
i swear if i ever see that machine other than a door stop ill do office space fax machine dance on it. bastard thing was not even well shielded so it would play havock with everything in a room that had electronics or crt monitors in it i am not going to say what it did to the speakers or tapes. yah it was gift...like my very first emp device the personal computer adam.
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
are these it?

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Nope. The one I pictured is likely the closest to the actual machine I had.

This was the same enclosure as my Gateway btw:

DOC_Agren

• Major
The Classic Mac my wife brought to the marriage is still a very functional doorstop.  It even still gives the "xp" face if we plug it in...
really I have 1 25+ year old Mac Blackbird Laptop I use to keep my gaming stuff on..   and 2 old Mac that still work in my gameroom
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Nice!  I picked up a new power supply for my Apple IIgs, and it's on the table to the right of this machine, running Wizard's Crown right now...  8)

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
Nice!  I picked up a new power supply for my Apple IIgs, and it's on the table to the right of this machine, running Wizard's Crown right now...  8)
Had that for either my C-64 or -128.  Never finished it though.   :'(   SOOOO many C-64/-128 games I never finished.  But at least I DID finish Crescent Hawks Inception!   :thumbsup:

And Yes, I sent in the postcard AND received the Infocom PHK LAM!   8)

And Yes, a bit Jealous of you at the moment!   ;D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
In my biology room in high school there was an old beater Apple II in the corner that we got working. I programmed our activities in apple’s built in BASIC program to save time on procedural stuff like randomizing or math

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Register