Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General BattleTech Discussion / Re: Editing already made Mechs
« Last post by Charistoph on Today at 19:51:52 »
For pickup games where you're playing with BV2 balancing, the generally accepted standard is that you're using canon mech variants. Similar if you're generating forces off Random Assignment Tables, etc. If you want to bring custom mechs to such a game it should be agreed with ahead of time that customizing is on the table. One of the issues with using custom mechs for pickup games is that the holes in BV2 balancing are pretty glaringly obvious, and as soon as you go down the route of customization you can end up with a lot of people fielding mechs that look very similar.

Very true.  It's one of the reasons our scenario leader usually has a specific line on if customs are allowed or not.

Usually in cases where a MUL link is provided, it also usually means that custom builds are off the table.

Still, doing customs can be fun just to see how crazy some people get things.  If anything, there are a few items on my "personally banned" list, like 5ton hovercraft that can move 25+ carrying only a Booby Trap...  It's only like 37 BV2, so what's the problem?
BattleMechs / Re: Dark Age/IlClan AC-2, -5, -10, -20 Challenge
« Last post by Hazard Pay on Today at 19:51:48 »
That said, modding it like this is interesting, the Large-X is a nice option for sure.
Feels like a 4R in range bands but w/ Pulse & Precision is going to be way more accurate.

Hate that 200-LFE, argh, what a waste of C-Bills & Tech.
Thanks, and yeah it's not the best use of C-Bills for what you get.

Victor Pilot: *Jumps behind Grand Dragon* "Omae wa mo Shinderiu."

Grand Dragon: "N-Nani!?!?!"

Code: [Select]
Victor VTR-12Dr-A20

Mass: 80 tons
Chassis: Alshain Class 920 Endo Steel
Power Plant: Pitban 340
Cruising Speed: 43.2 kph
Maximum Speed: 64.8 kph
Jump Jets: Lexington Ltd. Lifters
     Jump Capacity: 120 meters
Armor: Durallex Heavy with CASE
Armament:
     2 Light PPC
     1 AC/20
     1 SRM 4
Manufacturer: HildCo Interplanetary, HildCo Interplanetary, General Motors/Blackwell Corporation, Independence Weaponry, Robinson Standard BattleWorks, Tao 'Mechworks, TharHes Industries
     Primary Factory: St. Ives, Carver V/Liberty, New Valencia, Quentin, Robinson, Styk, Tharkad
Communication System: Sipher Security Plus
Targeting & Tracking System: Matabushi Sentinel
Introduction Year: 3145
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-X-X-E
Cost: 15,538,320 C-bills

Type: Victor
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Tonnage: 80
Battle Value: 1,829

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure            Endo Steel              4
Engine                        320 Light              17
Walking MP: 4
Running MP: 6
Jumping MP: 4
Double Heat Sink              10 [20]                 0
Gyro                                                  4
Cockpit                                               3
Armor Factor                  240                    15

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Head                    3         9     
     Center Torso            25        37   
     Center Torso (rear)               12   
     R/L Torso               17        25   
     R/L Torso (rear)                  8     
     R/L Arm                 13        25   
     R/L Leg                 17        33   

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Hand

Weapons
and Ammo                   Location  Critical   Heat    Tonnage
Jump Jet                      LL        1        -       1.0   
2 Jump Jet                    CT        2        -       2.0   
Precision AC/20 Ammo (4)      RT        2        -       2.0   
AC/20 Ammo (10)               RT        2        -       2.0   
CASE II                       RT        1        -       1.0   
SRM 4 Ammo (25)               RT        1        -       1.0   
2 Light PPC                   LA        4        5       6.0   
SRM 4                         LT        1        3       2.0   
Targeting Computer            LT        5        -       5.0   
Jump Jet                      RL        1        -       1.0   
AC/20                         RA        10       7       14.0 

Features the following design quirks: Rugged (1 Point)

Ground Combat / Re: Jormungand build example
« Last post by theagent on Today at 19:49:06 »
I am unable to figure out how they came up with the crew numbers as well as the refrigerated bay numbers come from on page 73 & 74 of the TOAUE.

For the non-gunners I get 63, which is what the book states. For gunners, I get 73, the same. but at the end it says that he adds 229 extra crew, stating that would allow him to carry triple its min. of non-gunners and double his min of gunners. That would be 189 and 146 respectfully. but that add up to 335, 106 more than the 229 that was added.

Also, I can’t find anything on bays calculating refrigerated bay size.

Min crew size is 146 (63 non-gunners, 73 gunners).  Adding 229 additional crew puts you at 375 (146+229).  That's more than the 335 to hit the "triple non-gunners & double gunners" total.
It's worth noting that there is actually varying etiquette on whether or not custom mechs are allowed. For campaign play, where there are rules for the time/effort/cost of customizing a mech, it's very common.

For pickup games where you're playing with BV2 balancing, the generally accepted standard is that you're using canon mech variants. Similar if you're generating forces off Random Assignment Tables, etc. If you want to bring custom mechs to such a game it should be agreed with ahead of time that customizing is on the table. One of the issues with using custom mechs for pickup games is that the holes in BV2 balancing are pretty glaringly obvious, and as soon as you go down the route of customization you can end up with a lot of people fielding mechs that look very similar.

I'll take note of that the next time I play, Thanks! 
Clan Chatterweb / Re: Giftake sibkos expected to excel?
« Last post by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire on Today at 19:43:18 »
Basically, the average Clan warrior's understanding of how DNA works is worse than that of the average Facebook post.
Unrelated, what does this KS update actually mean? Pay now or keep waiting?

From what I understand its an update on the issues that have cropped up over the past week with some answers.

From the opening sentence of the update "Here are some of the issues we’ve identified and the updates made."

Which I read as an official update for communication, but not a final lock in the lets go update. 
said we could add in on some things to the kickstarter. So how do you do that??
Clan Chatterweb / Re: Giftake sibkos expected to excel?
« Last post by Hellraiser on Today at 19:29:05 »

I'm wondering if that has been presented before, in novels or sourcebooks.

Thoughts on this? Has it ever been presented this way anywhere else when the topic of giftakes has come up?

Tassa beat me to the quote.  Sarna says...

Common belief holds that warriors bred from the giftake sample will produce superior warriors to those bred from an earlier sample that is on file in the Clan's genetic repository.[2]

References
 Field Manual: Crusader Clans, p. 160: Glossary
 Wolf Clan Sourcebook, p. 125: Glossary

I think its less "Expected" to excel than it is, "Best Sample" since it is when they were at their oldest/most seasoned & from active combat, so anything their DNA has "learned" over time is there. 

IIRC There was some issue w/ Carew's bloodline in the Lethal Heritage triology because they found out that the samples used to create his sibko were taken from "the cadet branch" which I can only assume means "From Early Life" samples of later blood named warriors v/s samples taken after they had won their bloodname & performed great deeds.

The current problem for the era is that it is genuinely in everyone's interests to annihilate the ilClan. You can claim that Julietta has gone a bit moonstruck herself, but she should not represent the norm. Capellan shenanigans are known Inner Sphere wide as is the fact that they are going for Terra. 
BattleMechs / Re: Dark Age/IlClan AC-2, -5, -10, -20 Challenge
« Last post by Hellraiser on Today at 19:19:54 »
On a side note, anyone know where that 5R was produced?

Sarna says Kallon is making it for the FS post fall of New Avalon.

All Kallon locations for the FS  (Nanking/Talon) are in Cappie hands or Nuked from what I can tell.

So where is the Kallon factory that is making them for the FS?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Register