Author Topic: AToW programs?  (Read 19441 times)

Galenthor

• Recruit
Re: AToW programs?
« Reply #30 on: 08 July 2018, 20:23:03 »
Had security settings set to private instead of public access. That's fixed. Sorry!

for some reason, I have a couple of problems... one, the site is going on about something called clonetree, and b, it's in a zip file, which I thought was a dead mode... is there a way to get it utility that doesn't involve going through multiple sites and the outdated zip ?

Galenthor

• Recruit
« Reply #31 on: 08 July 2018, 20:28:44 »
I have been playing the game since it originally came out back when I was just out of high school, and I have taken multiple reads of the book, but still find it to be extremely confusing on making a character... I look forward to the completion of your program, and hte opportunity to test it...

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #32 on: 22 July 2018, 17:47:42 »
I wish Megamek would put in ATOW features. :)
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Phicksur

• Recruit
« Reply #33 on: 31 July 2018, 10:31:19 »
I removed the whole 'life path' section and gave my 11-year-old the rules on Traits, Attributes, and Skills and explained doing the Traits first (trying not to spend more than 1000 on that), then Attributes (with the understanding of leaving herself at least around 1000XP after that), and then the remaining points on Skills. Gave her 5000 points to spend.

Took her a half hour doing it that way, which isn't bad when she kept asking things like, "What's Ambidexterity mean?" and "Can I have a pet fox?" and "Can I have a tail?"

BiggRigg42

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: 31 July 2018, 11:54:29 »
I removed the whole 'life path' section and gave my 11-year-old the rules on Traits, Attributes, and Skills and explained doing the Traits first (trying not to spend more than 1000 on that), then Attributes (with the understanding of leaving herself at least around 1000XP after that), and then the remaining points on Skills. Gave her 5000 points to spend.

Took her a half hour doing it that way, which isn't bad when she kept asking things like, "What's Ambidexterity mean?" and "Can I have a pet fox?" and "Can I have a tail?"

Yeah, point-buy isn't complicated at all. The problem may be that the life-module approach is presented as the main way to do character creation, and the point-buy option is at the end of the character creation section. Readers may often become blind to things at the end.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #35 on: 08 August 2018, 09:32:51 »
Yeah, point-buy isn't complicated at all. The problem may be that the life-module approach is presented as the main way to do character creation, and the point-buy option is at the end of the character creation section. Readers may often become blind to things at the end.

Just diving into AToW again for reference, and I'll agree with this.  The life path is good to provide flavour and immersion for someone new to the universe, but the point based system is so much easier.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #36 on: 08 August 2018, 12:14:39 »
Guess I am weird, I like the life path system. Yes there was a learning curve the first time, but once I figured how to organize everything I was writing down it really grew on me.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #37 on: 08 August 2018, 14:49:54 »
And really that is the key about the life module system.  It isn't difficult or complicated, but if can be a bit daunting, especially if keeping things organized isn't your thing.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #38 on: 08 August 2018, 17:48:15 »
And that's why we made our spreadsheets, eh?  :)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #39 on: 08 August 2018, 17:53:17 »
Indeed. ;D

CoreWatch

• Private
« Reply #40 on: 09 August 2018, 17:14:20 »
Hey folks!

I know a few of you have spreadsheet style ATOW character sheets. And I know there were a few folks that were possible trying to create some programs perhaps.

But does anyone have a simple PDF editable character sheet for ATOW?

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #41 on: 09 August 2018, 23:57:22 »
Hey folks!

I know a few of you have spreadsheet style ATOW character sheets. And I know there were a few folks that were possible trying to create some programs perhaps.

But does anyone have a simple PDF editable character sheet for ATOW?

Thanks in advance!
-Chris
not that I am aware of, but to be honest I would love to take a crack at figuring out how to create one, (I have an editable D&D 3.5 sheet I use but the version I use has fields that don't work (aren't editable) that I would love to fix

Restemayer

• Recruit
« Reply #42 on: 02 January 2019, 08:46:39 »
I have been playing the game since it originally came out back when I was just out of high school, and I have taken multiple reads of the book, but still find it to be extremely confusing on making a character... I look forward to the completion of your program, and hte opportunity to test it...

Ok.  So, the reason it didn't work is because by July I had scrapped that git repo and transferred it to gitlab.  I was rebuilding the program's GUI.  Apparently putting it together haphazardly with a gui builder on my 4k desktop monitor made the program completely unusable on anything other than my desktop (the UI was huuuuge).  So, I rebuilt it and, IIRC, got it back up to through stage four.... and then school started again and it got put on the backburner again.  Seems that my plan of working on this during grad school was a little unrealistic.  Anyway, I'm on winter break now and a friend of mine mentioned giving it a play through, which reminded me to pull the program out of storage. I'll check things over, see where I'm at with it (I, honestly, don't quite remember where I left it) and get back to you all on here.  So, yes, this is not a completely abandoned project.  I'm still around (kinda).  Since I'm a one man team it's been tough squeezing it in among everything else.  It's coming along though.  Slowly.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #43 on: 03 January 2019, 14:35:00 »
A player friend of mine recently mentioned that he thinks he may have an old Mechwarrior creator program named something like "BattleTech Character Creator" (turns out it's BTCC 0.5.38) on an old laptop he has in his garage. He's going to try to dig it up this weekend.

Has anyone here heard of this, or know what version of the game it's associated with? I'd never heard of this one before.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2019, 16:22:32 by Black_Knyght »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #44 on: 03 January 2019, 15:31:23 »
There was a rather incomplete Third Edition character creator with a name along those lines.  That could be it.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 03 January 2019, 16:24:29 »
Good to know!

Any other details you might know? Like "rather incomplete" in what way? Is it something manageable, or too broken to work with?

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #46 on: 03 January 2019, 16:27:13 »
From what I remember it was missing a lot of life path options at the very least.  It has been years since I had it and used it so I'm certain I'm forgetting other important drawbacks.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #47 on: 03 January 2019, 16:35:28 »
I also recall it was hosted on a Russian website that threw all kinds of malware warnings.  I'm not saying the guy that wrote it was doing that, but his choice of hosting service wasn't stellar.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 03 January 2019, 17:44:09 »
Won't be downloading it from any website, that's for sure!!!

I know my friend said he used it for a few years then moved on from the game and forgot about it. Came up in a conversation in our last game and he remembered having it and having used to use it.

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #49 on: 08 January 2019, 22:38:07 »
The code is sitting on GitHub and looks is abandoned, but could be forked and worked on by someone with C++ skills.
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Althalus

• Recruit
« Reply #50 on: 09 January 2019, 13:40:20 »
Would be great if someone could do this... I can`t because of my bad english skills. -.-
Innocence Proves Nothing

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #51 on: 09 January 2019, 17:51:43 »
After I retire (in about 6 more years), I'll take a crack at it if no one else has by then.  My programming skills are over 20 years old, but it shouldn't take me too long to get back up to speed once I don't have to work for a living.

hunter_gathers

• Recruit
« Reply #52 on: 18 January 2019, 13:30:31 »
Ok.  So, the reason it didn't work is because by July I had scrapped that git repo and transferred it to gitlab.  I was rebuilding the program's GUI.  Apparently putting it together haphazardly with a gui builder on my 4k desktop monitor made the program completely unusable on anything other than my desktop (the UI was huuuuge).  So, I rebuilt it and, IIRC, got it back up to through stage four.... and then school started again and it got put on the backburner again.  Seems that my plan of working on this during grad school was a little unrealistic.  Anyway, I'm on winter break now and a friend of mine mentioned giving it a play through, which reminded me to pull the program out of storage. I'll check things over, see where I'm at with it (I, honestly, don't quite remember where I left it) and get back to you all on here.  So, yes, this is not a completely abandoned project.  I'm still around (kinda).  Since I'm a one man team it's been tough squeezing it in among everything else.  It's coming along though.  Slowly.

Looking forward to this program. This looks like it could really facilitate new players

Zinmar

• Private
« Reply #53 on: 13 February 2019, 19:07:09 »
I'm really looking forward to this getting completed. I'm just getting into this from the 3rd edition rule set. I hope it's smooth sailing and he can get it up and running.

Giorgio76

• Private
« Reply #54 on: 07 February 2020, 07:19:24 »
I just finished reading this thread, is Restemayer’s program still under construction and usable, or is it no longer being supported and thus unusable?
I lack the time and programing skills to embark on such a program myself unfortunately.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 07 February 2020, 16:00:41 »
Last heard from Restemayer was January of 2019, unfortunately...  Nothing since then.

Giorgio76

• Private
« Reply #56 on: 08 February 2020, 06:28:55 »
Last heard from Restemayer was January of 2019, unfortunately...  Nothing since then.

:-[

CharlieAscende

• Recruit
« Reply #57 on: 10 February 2020, 08:26:36 »
I am of course biased toward my own, but I understand a number of people find Monbvol's easier to use.  Mine is more of an accounting aid for the creation process, and requires some familiarity with the rules.

That's a neat generator concept. Is there a link to play with the character creation software for the ToW?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #58 on: 10 February 2020, 20:51:11 »
I think the mods removed it due to the malware warnings...
« Last Edit: 11 February 2020, 04:36:46 by Daryk »

CharlieAscende

• Recruit
« Reply #59 on: 11 February 2020, 01:44:11 »
I think the mods removed it due the malware warnings...

Well that sucks then.

On the brightside, I'm using the sheet through Google Spreadsheet that kinda helped me a lot with my character creation process.