Author Topic: Digest: Dark Age, Outsized Importance  (Read 5736 times)

bobthecoward

• Captain
Digest: Dark Age, Outsized Importance
« on: 27 February 2014, 23:19:55 »
I am getting really excited for Era Digest: Dark Ages. The other two Digests focused on time periods that may not have been essential to detail. But I feel this 3132-3135 represents a real bridge for the large portion of the community like me: people who avoided or was no impressed by the early Dark Age.

I think the consensus is the Era Report and Field Manual were good. And, it made me love the Dark Age that I avoided like the plague. 3135-3145 is great. But it has three problems right now.

1) People who kept up with both product lines has a leg up. Not a bad thing, but clicktech's short life makes learning that info difficult. I have no Idea what a RISC chip is. Someone mention that the winner of a contest got to pick the first target of the titan, but I don't know if it's apocryphal.

2) I would like to know the 5 W's about the blackout and fortress. Yes, it is the central mystery of the game, but I feel the characters involved have something tangibly missing that provides context to their actions.

3) The few pages that cover those splinter factions simultaneously intrigued me as possibly interesting ideas, and wary that the concept may be flawed and can dampen the period.

When the book shows up, will those three years be integral to the Dark Age, or will be irrelevant? I'm betting on the first. Its going to be a small page count. I love numbers, and I really wished the reports gave ideas of the size of these groups (that is how much I am in the dark).

I really think unlike the other Digests, this product could be an indispensable product to battletech. Am I crazy or is anyone else anxious for this book? I know it doesn't have the sizzle of the IlClan, but as a Dark Age avoider its the part I really wanted to see them get right after the Era Report.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
Re: Digest: Dark Age, Outsized Importance
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2014, 23:48:32 »
I hear you. While I loved the recent dark age books, I was a little disappointed that they barely touched on the early Blackout years.
I wanted to hear stories of the splinter factions, farmer arming Agromechs to fight off raiders and rising bandits, I wanted to get the detail left out of those early books - what happened when theSteel Wolves retreated from Terra, what's it like standing down Liao in Prefecture V, etc

I'm really happy we're getting this book to fill in the gap era report and Field Manual 3145 left

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2014, 00:31:04 »
Nope, not crazy. While the ER really has me excited about the Dark Age, I still want to know more about the early immediate post-black out period. That was what turned me off of the DA material. I want to see what CGL does with it.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2014, 01:41:16 »
I'll agree.  A ATOW campaign that I ran started right before Gray Monday and, although I did collect DA/AoD stuff briefly and know some of the basics of the storyline, it will be great to have more detail on the first 12-18 months of the post Blackout period when the "Successor Factions" were causing trouble.
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2014, 02:19:46 »
I'll agree.  A ATOW campaign that I ran started right before Gray Monday and, although I did collect DA/AoD stuff briefly and know some of the basics of the storyline, it will be great to have more detail on the first 12-18 months of the post Blackout period when the "Successor Factions" were causing trouble.

How ARE the Black Lions going?

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2014, 06:15:28 »
I got into Battletech through the clix game and am eagerly awaiting this Digest just to have more fiction on my favorite mini-factions (Spirit Cats).  I hope a lot of the fan campaigns get some attention in this.

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2014, 06:23:22 »
I didn't realize that 5 years was a short time. I think CBT spent less time on the FedCom Civil War.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2014, 06:33:00 »
The novels covering the civil war were published between May 2000 and September 2002, so yeah.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #8 on: 28 February 2014, 09:32:59 »
Yeah. This Era Digest is probably the most important battletech release for clickytech fans.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

SpaceCowboy1701

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 28 February 2014, 11:54:57 »
I am getting really excited for Era Digest: Dark Ages. The other two Digests focused on time periods that may not have been essential to detail. But I feel this 3132-3135 represents a real bridge for the large portion of the community like me: people who avoided or was no impressed by the early Dark Age.

I think the consensus is the Era Report and Field Manual were good. And, it made me love the Dark Age that I avoided like the plague. 3135-3145 is great. But it has three problems right now.

1) People who kept up with both product lines has a leg up. Not a bad thing, but clicktech's short life makes learning that info difficult. I have no Idea what a RISC chip is. Someone mention that the winner of a contest got to pick the first target of the titan, but I don't know if it's apocryphal.

2) I would like to know the 5 W's about the blackout and fortress. Yes, it is the central mystery of the game, but I feel the characters involved have something tangibly missing that provides context to their actions.

3) The few pages that cover those splinter factions simultaneously intrigued me as possibly interesting ideas, and wary that the concept may be flawed and can dampen the period.

When the book shows up, will those three years be integral to the Dark Age, or will be irrelevant? I'm betting on the first. Its going to be a small page count. I love numbers, and I really wished the reports gave ideas of the size of these groups (that is how much I am in the dark).

I really think unlike the other Digests, this product could be an indispensable product to battletech. Am I crazy or is anyone else anxious for this book? I know it doesn't have the sizzle of the IlClan, but as a Dark Age avoider its the part I really wanted to see them get right after the Era Report.

There is definitely a segment of people that are anxious for this one, myself included. Along with getting full-on TRO entries for the hardware and a continuation of the storyline, more background and particulars on the Republic splinter factions and their misadventures. I don't know that it will be really integral to the Dark Age overall, but certainly some of the splinter factions continue to play roles in the larger strategic picture ... look at how the Spirit Cats have joined the FWL ... no one would have seen that coming. The Steel Wolves are still out there as a (small) merc group, the Highlanders still have a ragged battalion in the Remnant (yay!), and Jasek Kelswa-Steiner and Erik Sandoval-Groell are both playing important roles in their home governments now, with and without support from their former troops. But most of the big movers and shakers are characters in the main Houses and Clans, at this point ...

I would temper your expectations some ... don't look for too many answers regarding either the Fortress mechanisms or the Blackout. The mystery and resulting chaos are part of the setting, and the identity and motivation of who caused the Blackout is not going to be dealt with until after the ilClan book per Herb's answer in one of the last Battlechats last year. I don't have time to go fishing for the quote ... and someone will correct me if I am wrong. Like you, I am definitely ready for answers to those questions. I also don't know how much RISC tech will be involved in the Digest. As it turns out, most if not all of it was Republic experimentation ... it showed up in the clix game as special equipment cards that gave your 'mech some kind of enhancement, but with a risk (double meaning of RISC) of the equipment failing and even damaging the 'mech in its failure. I didn't see them used very often in my area's venues, but they were at least interesting and could be fun in a campaign.

I'm also hoping for some numbers and descriptions of how the groups formed and evolved through the few years they existed, but I won't be surprised if it's left a little vague to allow for player re-purposing ... to me, this particular era has always had an awesome potential as a setting for either an RPG or Battletech / Alpha Strike campaign ... it's gratifying to see people who used to be turned off by the era changing their minds and getting excited ... and to have a few more Dark Age products to look forward to (this, ilClan, Dark Age Turning Points).

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 28 February 2014, 13:49:29 »

1) There is no such thing as a RISC chip.   In the click game, there was a gear called R.I.S.C gear that had a chance of something bad(but hardly worth worrying about) each time you used it. Wizkids never released what RISC meant.  The era report reveled that it stand stand for Republic Institute for Strategic Combat.
The individual pieces of “RISC tech” we have seen since 3135, though, represent anything but the kind of übertech one would expect given the apparent goals of the Institute. In fact, what we’ve seen to date simply isn’t that advanced. If anything, the souped- up equipment we have seen or received reports of has proven only a little better than comparable “normal” gear, but with side effects that include catastrophic—often explosive—failure.

There was a world championship for mechwarrior, where the winner got to pick which faction got attacked by the Ares super heavy mechs first.   The winner picked the Republic of the Sphere who happened to be on the list by accident.   Kelly(the lead at the time) said "I'll make it work" and wizkids folded before we ever really found how how she was going to make it work.  Pretty sure catalyst opted to just ignore it and took the story the way they wanted.

2) The black out is mostly still a mystery.   There wasn't even a pattern to how they all went down.  Some got hit with a virus, others just kept having critical failures even after being completely rebuilt, and some where just flat out attacked by unknown forces. 

We know fortress republic was set up as a last ditch defense for a worst case scenario.   It was put in place by Stone, but activated by Levin.   Far as I know, we don't know how it works yet.   We do know that the forces inside can get in and out, and have been doing so to conduct raids in order to keep the Republic's enemies somewhat off kilter.

3)The splinter factions made sense story wise.  You had people that still strongly identified themselves with a great house.   The HPG failure for them was a sign that the Republic was a failure and it gave them a good excuse to rebel.   Now for Houses like Liao, any weakness was a good reason for them to reclaim their old territories.  Other houses had to be careful.  They had treaties in place with the Republic after all.   It was better for them to sit back for a little bit and see what happened.  When it was clear the republic was falling apart it was a simple matter of swooping in and taking over the planets their supporters had already taken for them.

It also worked as a good entry point for for players new to the CBT world.  Instead of getting to know a whole house and it's hundreds of years of history, you had a small force with only a couple decades of history.

By the end of the dark ages, most(not all) of them are either gone or absorbed into their parent factions.
« Last Edit: 28 February 2014, 13:52:37 by DarkSpade »
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #11 on: 28 February 2014, 14:44:55 »
There was a world championship for mechwarrior, where the winner got to pick which faction got attacked by the Ares super heavy mechs first.   The winner picked the Republic of the Sphere who happened to be on the list by accident.   Kelly(the lead at the time) said "I'll make it work" and wizkids folded before we ever really found how how she was going to make it work.  Pretty sure catalyst opted to just ignore it and took the story the way they wanted. 

Nope, not ignored. Just... massaged into something that maintains the spirit of that outcome while still fitting in with our story direction.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2014, 17:28:27 »
Nope, not ignored. Just... massaged into something that maintains the spirit of that outcome while still fitting in with our story direction.

I'd say it worked perfectly! I love that the Republic is actively raiding their remnant brethren.
And it ties in perfectly with the original WizKids fluff that had scenarios based around "knights continue to go about their business outside the wall - until collossal come a calling, etc"

mrbooth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2014, 20:27:43 »
The real question is how long until we see it? according to posts last week it was in layout so hopefully soon. I am really looking forward to this the product the micro factions have such potential for good story telling can not wait to see the fleshed out especially after the awesomeness that we got this week with H:wor.

E. Icaza

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2014, 23:43:44 »
How ARE the Black Lions going?

Stalled unfortunately.  My most common opponent and best friend doesn't really like anything past 3060 or so and the person that was willing to play the OpFor is back in Charlotte, where I moved from recently.  I'm trying to get him to play MegaMek on a semi-regular basis, so we'll have to see.

RL events have put a hold on my ability to play BT for the past 4-5 Months, but hopefully I'll be able to get back into a regular game soon.
The Clans: the Star League the Inner Sphere deserves, not the one it needs.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2014, 23:48:13 »
The real question is how long until we see it? according to posts last week it was in layout so hopefully soon. I am really looking forward to this the product the micro factions have such potential for good story telling can not wait to see the fleshed out especially after the awesomeness that we got this week with H:wor.

Im really looking forward to this and ilclan but ive been trying not to pester Adrian Gideon...

So this and ilclan. Their last two chances to make nova cats miserable in this era, can they do it?

Also are they just trying to make Randall Bills sad? Dude has written tons of nova cat fiction... so he must like them a little.

I see the spirit cats as their true successor though so I think they are in a good place.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2014, 23:49:56 »
Im really looking forward to this and ilclan but ive been trying not to pester Adrian Gideon...

So this and ilclan. Their last two chances to make nova cats miserable in this era, can they do it?

Also are they just trying to make Randall Bills sad? Dude has written tons of nova cat fiction... so he must like them a little.

I see the spirit cats as their true successor though so I think they are in a good place.

I've long admired that the writers tend to not play favorites with their faction of choice. In particular, our resident Steel Viper (Paul) had a pretty big hand in the annihilation of his own Clan.  O0
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Ice_Trey

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2014, 23:53:54 »
My only issue with the Dark Age stuff is that it seems to be getting really heavy on the TacOps or Higher 'mechs. with special rules and whatnot.

That's all fine and dandy in concept, but in practice, that means that there are a lot of books to bring to the LGS now. There's very little left in the way of Total-Warfare compliance. A 50/50 ratio for hightech and vanilla would be just fine and dandy in my books.

Not so much an issue of grognardism about prior eras as "My back is going to give out if I have to bring my entire collection with me for rules reference"

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #18 on: 01 March 2014, 00:07:13 »
I've long admired that the writers tend to not play favorites with their faction of choice. In particular, our resident Steel Viper (Paul) had a pretty big hand in the annihilation of his own Clan.  O0

Which is a shame. Clan Steel Viper had the crazy trueborn infantry thing going for them. So they were at least more interesting than most other clans. All the boring ones got smashed. But csv had your crazy.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #19 on: 01 March 2014, 00:18:34 »

Was Paul immortalized as Paul of the Mattlovs in WoR?  You know, the Steel Viper warrior who got the dishonorable shaft from the Falcons when he tried to compete for a bloodname?  Andrews mentioned it specifically about the Falcons as an example of their taint, I figure if it is an Easter Egg for the architect of Viper doom, it was a good one.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #20 on: 01 March 2014, 06:49:57 »
My only issue with the Dark Age stuff is that it seems to be getting really heavy on the TacOps or Higher 'mechs. with special rules and whatnot.

That's all fine and dandy in concept, but in practice, that means that there are a lot of books to bring to the LGS now. There's very little left in the way of Total-Warfare compliance. A 50/50 ratio for hightech and vanilla would be just fine and dandy in my books.

Not so much an issue of grognardism about prior eras as "My back is going to give out if I have to bring my entire collection with me for rules reference"

You could theoretically print or photocopy the pages you need and leave the tome at home.  Or have one player designated to bring one core book each?
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 01 March 2014, 09:42:53 »

The Spirit Cats actually should have a lot of time to shine from 3131-3136, which is what this Era Digest should cover.  The Spirit Cats were able to conquer no less than Outreach, Ozawa, Tybalt, Addicks, Rucbach, and some planet from the Liaos when the Liao Incursion began.  You also have the fiction from "Target of Opportunity" with Star Captain Cox, and they achieved second place in the faction wars on Irian.   If the Spirit Cats don't get a shout out to basically smacking around the other splinter factions I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

And given that the only shout-out they really got in the TROS was being mentioned as being beaten in an engagement on Addicks by the Bannson's Raiders, I am a little worried the writer will ignore all the successes they had and all the campaigns the clix game had players fight in, just to write their own fiction.  Please, writer,s prove me wrong on this.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #22 on: 01 March 2014, 10:30:29 »
 Much more likely to be mentioned it we have INN articles about their successes. WizKids had a habit of having a campaign shortly before fiction came out that described something that wasn't about the campaign or dropping forces onto very strange battlefields.

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 01 March 2014, 11:42:42 »
True, although the books featuring the Spirit Cats did mention they had won Addicks and Ozawa, not to mention having visited Mallory's World and one of those planets out in Prefecture VII.  Lot better than the Steel Wolves managed.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 01 March 2014, 16:37:41 »
Yeah. This Era Digest is probably the most important battletech release for clickytech fans.

and for whatever you'd like to term the polar opposite of fans of that.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 01 March 2014, 19:44:12 »
and for whatever you'd like to term the polar opposite of fans of that.

Very poignant. For a good chunk of fans, this Digest will probably be like the others.

But if it can please the opposite camps, I think it can do a lot for the Dark Age setting. It won't make or break me, though.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #26 on: 01 March 2014, 20:13:29 »
If it's anything like the other Era Digests, no thanks. But I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic that this won't be the waste of time that the Age of War or the Golden Century EDs were. Those were so damned anemic that I feel like I deserve a refund sometimes.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels