Author Topic: Kitbash a Warlord?  (Read 1445 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Kitbash a Warlord?
« on: 18 March 2018, 12:47:22 »
I was just wondering if anyone had ever kitbashed a Warlord?

I am thinking about using one for a tournament we are running locally and I have a couple of things that could stand in, but none of them really excite me . . . and I have been using the tournament as motivation to paint up one of my faction specific forces, the 17th Avalon Hussars.  So far I have painted up my Hammerhands, a AS pack Centurion, two IS Std BA and a Hauberk that is standing in for some Grenadiers.  Supporting the 17th Hussars painted units are a woodland DI Morgan sub, a Marauder in either gunmetal or Lyran colors, and a few other painted items.  Which will probably be a first for me on TT, no mechs, BA or vehicles that are just primer'd.  My painting skills are still beginner level, and I am fine with being a 'army' painter but its nice to have a force fielded that is very representative.

Reason I ask is that I am not a fan of the Cyclops mech, but I ended up with a lot more of them than I would ever use.  So I have used one as my painting experiment, to try different things and techniques I read about.  I have one done up in woodland so it can be plugged into any force as needed.  But that still leaves me with a few more . . . and one of them is what I am thinking about converting to a Warlord.  I have a LOT of MWDA stuff to slice up for cosmetic adjustments.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
Re: Kitbash a Warlord?
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2018, 14:34:21 »
Sounds like a lot of work when you could just buy a Warlord. Fugly, I know, but it exists. I guess I'm just not in the mood to think about completely re-working a mini when a ready-made example is already out there. [shrug]

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2018, 15:20:18 »
My local store does not carry it and I do not want to deal with shipping or the costs while I have a mech I will not use in that quantity.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2018, 15:32:35 »

Don't now what you are going to do for the shoulders and cockpit. Do you have a DA Zeus?
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2018, 15:48:49 »
One of the DA construction mechs actually has shoulders that neatly match the Warlord's flanges, I can scrounge a head/cockpit from another with a bit of work and I can fix the PPCs . . . its honestly the triple nipples for the ERML that are my stumbling block.

At least how I picture it in my head.
Colt Ward

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2018, 16:03:22 »
I was going to suggest the Zeus for the head as well.  Do you have any styrene rods or any mechs with multiple laser ports?

One of the DA construction mechs actually has shoulders that neatly match the Warlord's flanges, I can scrounge a head/cockpit from another with a bit of work and I can fix the PPCs . . . its honestly the triple nipples for the ERML that are my stumbling block.

At least how I picture it in my head.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2018, 16:18:14 »
You can do pretty much every necessary mod with styrene, if it's available to you. Cockpit, shoulder pauldrons, PPCs, 3xMLs, covering missile ports... I'd probably leave the backpack alone, if not build the cockpit up to it's level.

Black_Knyght

• Captain
  • Nisi mors certum est in bello
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2018, 17:31:40 »
its honestly the triple nipples for the ERML that are my stumbling block.

I've discovered that small metal "crimping" beads from our local craft store make great ML ports.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2018, 02:48:57 »
If you have access to MW:DA, then there's this one I did - before the IWM mini came out, and to my mind better scaled (the IWM one is massive).

Gauntlet upper torso, Raider legs with new toes & some styrene strip, Panther arms, with balsa wood PPCs.

A bit of work, but I think it came out well.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2018, 11:51:08 »
"The Warlord was originally intended as a streamlined, all-energy weapon variation of the classic BLR-1G BattleMaster, but the changes and weight reduction were significant enough that GM's intellectual property lawyers insisted on a new name."

Always thought it should have looked more like the original Battlemaster with this description.
Just use one of these (if you have one). 

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #10 on: 20 March 2018, 12:20:59 »
If you have access to MW:DA, then there's this one I did - before the IWM mini came out, and to my mind better scaled (the IWM one is massive).

Gauntlet upper torso, Raider legs with new toes & some styrene strip, Panther arms, with balsa wood PPCs.

A bit of work, but I think it came out well.

W.

Be honest. There's nothing you HAVEN'T scrap-built at this point.  :thumbsup:

"Well, I didn't like the current Tiburon miniature, so I used legs from a Mad Cat turned upside down, a bit of tin foil, a left arm from a DA Kodiak, half of a peach pit, and some leftover bolts from my car's engine rebuild. And it looks better this way!" (And to my irritation it TOTALLY DOES)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

RGCavScout

• Master Sergeant
  • We are the Brute Squad!
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2018, 18:49:06 »
Maybe using a Project Phoenix Battlemaster with an extra gauss arm shifted to fit the opposite arm.  Saw off the SRM launcher and add a laser to each side torso and I think that you are there.

"Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."  Dread Pirate Roberts