Author Topic: HBS Expansion Thread- its time for II (spoilers)  (Read 166470 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: HBS Expansion Thread- its time for II (spoilers)
« Reply #570 on: 14 August 2019, 13:05:23 »
Jump jets are equipment that can be added to any mech. Some aren't worth it though. I've always done better with grounded Orions, for example.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #571 on: 14 August 2019, 13:20:20 »
My BK jumps too (though I use a mod to remove all the hardpoint restrictions to do it)  ;D

But then again I hardly need to worry about having an enemy mech behind my unit since my tactics always rely on massed LRM barrages at long range using sensor locks to bring the enemy down. If any of my opponents are foolish enough to get past that, I got a gauss rifle and an AC/10++ ready to headshoot them.  ;)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #572 on: 14 August 2019, 14:17:21 »
My Black Knight has the majority of medium range weapons stripped for jumping and dfa boost.  It is armed only with 2 Large lasers and 2 small lasers.  Everything else is sinks and armor.  It is more or less my scout that gets an advanced init pilot.

Curiosity, anyone built a solid dfa build on anything?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #573 on: 14 August 2019, 14:52:19 »
My BK jumps too (though I use a mod to remove all the hardpoint restrictions to do it)  ;D

See I play it straight- no mods so not everything can jump.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #574 on: 14 August 2019, 16:58:25 »
See I play it straight- no mods so not everything can jump.

If you put jump jets on it, it can jump.  You don't need mods for that.  Just need jump jets.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #575 on: 14 August 2019, 22:09:23 »
Maybe he meant he's not modding the mechs either if not catastrophically damaged?

If you put jump jets on it, it can jump.  You don't need mods for that.  Just need jump jets.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #576 on: 15 August 2019, 09:11:50 »
No, unless it changed with a patch mechs that could not jump in BTU could not jump- for instance, no jumping Atlas b/c the AS7-D did not jump.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #577 on: 15 August 2019, 10:30:30 »
No, unless it changed with a patch mechs that could not jump in BTU could not jump- for instance, no jumping Atlas b/c the AS7-D did not jump.
Uh... The Atlas has been able to equip Jumpjets since the game came out. Hell, I put jumpjets on a Cent the first day I even had the game.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #578 on: 15 August 2019, 10:51:21 »
Looks like he's playing with canon / vanilla configs only,  hence the statement of no modding.  Everyone enjoys the game in different ways.  I prefer an all jumping force myself, yet have some jumpless mechs too.

Uh... The Atlas has been able to equip Jumpjets since the game came out. Hell, I put jumpjets on a Cent the first day I even had the game.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #579 on: 15 August 2019, 11:38:18 »

Unless you are playing with self imposed restrictions,  there has never been anything in the game that prevents putting jump jets on any mech.

The only restriction the game has is the type of jump jets.  There's 3 kinds. I forget what they called them all, but they're based on weight. You can't take jump jets off a light mech and put them on a heavy.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #580 on: 15 August 2019, 13:19:12 »
Hm, I would swear the little jump jet icon is grayed out for certain mechs but I have not had time to play for the last month so I could be wrong.
Colt Ward

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #581 on: 15 August 2019, 15:13:07 »
Yes, jump jet icons for the wrong tonnage will be greyed out.  There are 0.5 ton, 1 ton, and 2 ton jump jets in the game, and there has never (yet) been a restriction on mounting them if you have the tonnage and they're the right kind for the 'mech.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #582 on: 15 August 2019, 22:11:21 »
No, at the point they should hardpoint types it would lack or have grey'd out jump symbols.  But I could be mis-remembering the details.
Colt Ward

FedRatCowboy

• Master Sergeant
  • Loyal Knight of House Davion.
« Reply #583 on: 17 September 2019, 19:26:26 »
Hey just discovered that you can buy ECM and a Quasi-Beagle probe now.  They are one or the other. As in you cannot mount both on the same Mech. Not that you would want to...they are damn heavy and critical slot heavy,. the ECM weighs in at 6 tons, and the Beagle Probe is like 5.5 tons. I have encountered them in multiple shops in the CC, FS, and oddly enough the MoC. 
"War is Hell. Combat is a mother ******."  --General Tommy Franks, US Army

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #584 on: 17 September 2019, 20:01:02 »
What exactly do they do, though?  ???

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #585 on: 17 September 2019, 20:22:50 »
I'd assume they work like the raven, but with the two features separate.

FedRatCowboy

• Master Sergeant
  • Loyal Knight of House Davion.
« Reply #586 on: 17 September 2019, 20:37:10 »
They do, but just not worth it IMHO.
"War is Hell. Combat is a mother ******."  --General Tommy Franks, US Army

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #587 on: 18 September 2019, 00:33:00 »
Assuming they haven't radically changed how ECM works, 6 tons is worth plugging it into a heavy or assault mech so I don't have to bring a Raven to hide behind.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #588 on: 18 September 2019, 00:36:41 »
Assuming they haven't radically changed how ECM works, 6 tons is worth plugging it into a heavy or assault mech so I don't have to bring a Raven to hide behind.
They recently made the AI more aggressive when going against ECM'd units. No clue on how much more, though.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #589 on: 18 September 2019, 23:11:15 »
Guess I'll have to fire the game back up if I have time this week or next to see what the changes look like.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #590 on: 19 September 2019, 10:37:31 »
What stinks is i don't get alert from humble that my HBS Battletech game had changed.  I always find out the hardway.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #591 on: 20 September 2019, 16:09:35 »
Is the RAT still messed up?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #592 on: 20 September 2019, 23:01:40 »
Considering the limited amount of mechs the game has in it as it is, not sure complaints of "X mech shouldn't be encountered" are valid. 

Is the RAT still messed up?

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #593 on: 20 September 2019, 23:27:21 »
Considering the limited amount of mechs the game has in it as it is, not sure complaints of "X mech shouldn't be encountered" are valid.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the bug that was introduced with 1.7 that resulted in almost nothing but Commandos, Blackjacks, Black Knights, and Atlases to spawn.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #594 on: 20 September 2019, 23:53:49 »
Hey just discovered that you can buy ECM and a Quasi-Beagle probe now.  They are one or the other. As in you cannot mount both on the same Mech. Not that you would want to...they are damn heavy and critical slot heavy,. the ECM weighs in at 6 tons, and the Beagle Probe is like 5.5 tons. I have encountered them in multiple shops in the CC, FS, and oddly enough the MoC.

Canonically, the MoC in this era has “a secret source of technology from beyond the Periphery” which other sources have hinted may be descendants of the Minnesota Tribe.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
« Reply #595 on: 21 September 2019, 00:39:51 »
I'm pretty sure he's referring to the bug that was introduced with 1.7 that resulted in almost nothing but Commandos, Blackjacks, Black Knights, and Atlases to spawn.
If that's the case, I wonder if I should report the ABSOLUTELY INSANE NUMBER OF JAGERMECHS AND THUNDERBOLTS I FIGHT.

Oh, and that one mission where I encountered three Cyclops Zs, three Cyclops Qs, and a Cataphract and Banshee. (I see Qs a lot.)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #596 on: 21 September 2019, 02:10:52 »
Canonically, the MoC in this era has “a secret source of technology from beyond the Periphery” which other sources have hinted may be descendants of the Minnesota Tribe.
Well, the MoC version of the ISF or Death Commandos is called the Ebon Magistrate. Draw your own conclusions.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

MoleMan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #597 on: 21 September 2019, 04:24:11 »

That's the one, basically alphabetical, guessing it's still there. May download one of the mods that add in all other era appropriate mechs

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #598 on: 21 September 2019, 08:07:00 »
Maybe too many Cataphracts and blackknights is their solution for the problem of too many thunderbolts and quickdraws?  ;D

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #599 on: 21 September 2019, 08:37:18 »
MoleMan - I know HBS is at least aware of the issue, not sure if there's been a patch for it yet. There is a mod someone made that corrects it to hold you over.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/battletech-mech-variety-has-disappeared.1245974 especially Reply #17 explains what happened